Author Topic: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!  (Read 2098 times)

Re: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I think the BIGGEST issue here - Body Politics aside - is that there are Foreign Occupiers in Portland that are apparently making things worse.

The Governor and other politicians there seem to believe they ARE making things worse - the foreign shadow forces.

Why don't Portland Police eject them? Take back THEIR streets?

There aren’t “foreign occupiers”, and the police *want* to take back their streets.  From criminals, though, not police.  Listen to the head of the police union:

Hours before what is expected to be the 53rd straight night of protests in the city, the head of the Portland police union said the community has “had enough.”

Portland Police Association President Daryl Turner, surrounded by 20 faith leaders, business owners, police officers and neighborhood residents, held a news conference in front of the union’s offices in North Portland. On Saturday, protesters broke in and lit a fire inside. The building itself was covered with graffiti.

“The elected officials have condoned the destruction and chaos,” said Turner. “They have placed their political agenda ahead safety and welfare of the community. This must stop.”

That man speaking truth to power is a strong black man, if it matters:

He, his officers, and the citizens of Portland have been abandoned.

Last I checked, the leader of a Police Union is NOT a duly elected or appointed official of the city/county/state government.   He represents a labor union.

And no, whether he is a strong (or weak) black (or white) man does not matter.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2464
Given the exact same  situation "..

I stare back !

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2020, 12:52:08 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I find it very troublesome when folks apply a blanket label to all protestors as being "terrorists".   Even if they may share common political cause with some who ARE performing acts of violence, this is a very, very dangerous thing to do because it is a necessary step towards rationalizing sweeping violent measures against those who have not done violence.

Regardless of whether the woman agrees politically with others who may have been acting violently there is no evidence in the story we have been given that she has acted with violence or endorsed violence.

And that is probably true of the vast, vast majority of peaceful protesters nationwide, as well as in Portland.  These people are not terrorists.

Otherwise, we must also label all folks who share policy with groups like the Proud Boys or the Boogaloo Boys as "terrorists" as well.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
The irony to calling the naked women a terrorist/rioter/anarchist/violent is that the whole point of the nudity is to demonstrate she is literally no threat to police.

"Terrorist" is thrown about too often nowadays.

People who lock police in a building and then shoot fireworks into that same building would seem to fit the bill.

I mean even by that standard, no not really. I think putting those people in the same category of individual as those who ran a plane into a building, shoot up a synagogue, or kidnap and murder school children is absolutely insane. I mean we all know the connotations of  that word and the loaded meaning it has in today's America.

Well, it's certainly not civil behavior either.  It's far beyond protesting/demonstrating.

As gift said above, terror comes in many forms, and I'm not convinced it has to be the most extreme manifestation of it to still be terrorism.  But yeah, if people want to call it something else that also conveys the seriousness of the criminality of the behavior, go ahead.
I mean I think rioters, for those actually rioting, is probably more accurate.

I also as a side note  certainly wouldn't lump that women in with rioters just because she happens to be at the same place or even supporting the same cause. I mean just because I'm at a Celtics game rooting for the Celtics doesn't mean I support or agree with some racist moron shouting obscenities' at the opposing team.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:10:52 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2020, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
The irony to calling the naked women a terrorist/rioter/anarchist/violent is that the whole point of the nudity is to demonstrate she is literally no threat to police.

People who lock police in a building and then shoot fireworks into that same building would seem to fit the bill.

I mean even by that standard, no not really. I think putting those people in the same category of individual as those who ran a plane into a building, shoot up a synagogue, or kidnap and murder school children is absolutely insane. I mean we all know the connotations of  that word and the loaded meaning it has in today's America.

Not all terrorism may be equal, but I don't see how those tactics/aims wouldn't qualify as terrorism. I'm open to an alternate definition of terrorism, defining levels of terrorism and even a justification for terrorism. But I can't deny that the described actions are terrorism as defined in the modern era.

Really? Because if you said terrorists were outside my building right now my first thought wouldn't turn to fire works or graffiti.

I mean I just think using that word is intellectually dishonest, even if it meets the broad definition of terrorism it certainly isnt what most people would think of when they describe terrorism. Its basically a dog whistle, a way to dehumanize those who you disagree with, a way to make their legitimate complaints seem  unworthy of consideration and to dismiss their protests as an illegal act. And a way to justify less than completely legal approaches to dealing with them.

And hey, not even judging. God knows I myself have probably been guilty of the same hyperbole from time to time.

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 223
Brave ?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She just wanted her 15 min of glory and a “nice” facebook/instagram story/cover photo or whatever.

Pretty much, fail to see the symbolism in this.

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2020, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Not all terrorism may be equal, but I don't see how those tactics/aims wouldn't qualify as terrorism. I'm open to an alternate definition of terrorism, defining levels of terrorism and even a justification for terrorism. But I can't deny that the described actions are terrorism as defined in the modern era.

Really? Because if you said terrorists were outside my building right now my first thought wouldn't turn to fire works or graffiti.

I mean I just think using that word is intellectually dishonest, even if it meets the broad definition of terrorism it certainly isnt what most people would think of when they describe terrorism. Its basically a dog whistle, a way to dehumanize those who you disagree with, a way to make their legitimate complaints seem  unworthy of consideration and to dismiss their protests as an illegal act. And a way to justify less than completely legal approaches to dealing with them.

And hey, not even judging. God knows I myself have probably been guilty of the same hyperbole from time to time.

You understand that fireworks are explosives, right?  Being fired into a courthouse with barricaded exits?

That one is from July 5 in Portland. Several officers were injured by a fireworks that night, and those were not within an enclosed, flammable space.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211

Yes, really. I'm not particularly invested in whatever is happening in Portland, but I read facts about what was done and I know the commonly accepted definition of terrorism and conclude that it fits that definition quite neatly. I already said I'm open to describing different levels of terrorism or even changing the definition as long as it follows a well reasoned argument.

I don't think I'm dehumanizing anyone. You'll have to explain the dog whistle part to me. I've heard that term a lot lately and I don't know where it comes from. If you think I'm doing something, I'd like to understand what it is that you think that I'm doing.

I don't consider graffiti to be terrorism and fireworks alone are not terrorism, but can you see how you're omitting some key elements when you describe the actions as just fireworks and graffiti? I wasn't even talking about graffiti at all.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2682
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wall-of-moms-portland-oregon_n_5f15a73ac5b6cec246c5990e

Are these the women that raised the hoodlums, rioters, anarchists and terrorists?

Not all moms are good moms, and their status as mothers means nothing to me politically.  It seems like they are acting as human shields to enable rioting and attacks on Police.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wall-of-moms-portland-oregon_n_5f15a73ac5b6cec246c5990e

Are these the women that raised the hoodlums, rioters, anarchists and terrorists?

Not all moms are good moms, and their status as mothers means nothing to me politically.  It seems like they are acting as human shields to enable rioting and attacks on Police.

What would you suggest for either side to do different to de-escalate tensions?

Good Trouble.

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Stop committing violence / destruction of property.

The protesters have a very accommodating mayor, city Council, and governor. There is no reason to suspect that the city will not address their concerns. However, these rioters just like violence and destruction.

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Well, we can start with people not destroying public and/or private property, or assaulting bystanders or counter-protesters.

Trump also needs to have his paramilitary stand down.  I can accept the federal government having the authority to protect federal property and federal workers, but it is wholly unlawful for federal agents to be doing anything other than essentially 'standing guard'.  They have no business policing the streets or engaging with protesters or rioters unless they are engaged first.  This does deeply trouble me, and at it's root is authoritarianism.

But also, the peaceful protesters who want to see actual change and dialogue need to call out those among them who are sowing seeds of chaos and anarchy and are using the cause for racial justice to terrorize the public (mostly it seems for entirely unrelated reasons).  I realize it's not the fault of the legitimate protesters, but by saying or doing nothing, or at times even dismissing it as non-existent, the legit protesters allow their cause to be diminished and dismissed.

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell

Stop committing violence / destruction of property.

The protesters have a very accommodating mayor, city Council, and governor. There is no reason to suspect that the city will not address their concerns. However, these rioters just like violence and destruction.

My thing is this, though - if these elected officials are so inept why haven't they been voted out?

I just cannot see how they all got this bad overnight.

Do you think it would be better to have the LOCAL police there addressing the issues rather than the outside forces?

Good Trouble.