Author Topic: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!  (Read 2097 times)

Re: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 08:21:28 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 170
I have to agree with Neurotic Guy. The woman was protesting but not doing so violently. She may agree (But we don’t actually know exactly her motives) with the reasons others are protesting that are doing so in a violent fashion but isn’t doing anything violent herself. I don’t think that makes her a terrorist. In fact, she seemed to deescalate the situation, maybe that was her purpose. Labeling her a terrorist is just as unfair as guessing she was after her 15mins of game or is an exhibitionist or whatever.

I didn’t see in the article anything about the fireworks barricade or the guy tied to a fence. Those must be different articles...I don’t see how those violent acts should be associated with the naked woman just because she is also protesting.

I would put her in the “booing the Lakers” category and not in the “fireworks in the laker locker room” category.  Would being at the game booing while others are throwing rocks make everyone at the game a criminal?

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2682
Can we shoot fireworks into the Lakers locker room as long as they're not in there?
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1768
You all know a lot more about this woman than I do.  So far she’s a courageous, attention-craving, terrorist.

I realize that blogs are intended (to some extent) for free-flowing unsubstantiated opinion, but you folks know nothing about this woman.   Yet you think you got her motives nailed down. Other than 15 minutes of naked yoga, you don’t know a single thing this woman has done in her life.

Isn’t prejudice and racism in large part precisely about jumping to conclusions without sufficient information? 

Interesting story and obviously speculation about motive makes sense and would be expected.  But you aren’t speculating, you are concluding.  I guess the problem is more likely that I haven’t adapted yet to a world where lead-ins like “I think she may be” or “I wonder if” aren’t necessary.

There’s certainly enough information to tell us which side she’s aligned with.

To be clear, you are saying every protester in Portland is a terrorist?  If so, I understand your conclusion about her.

Lol.  “Understand” away up there on your high horse while you put words in the mouth of we poor plebeians.

Why don’t you do some reading about what was going on before lecturing the rest of us.  Is “to be clear” one of those equivocal phrases that you like to use that makes you better than anybody else?

No. It was an honest question. I’m aware of the violence in Portland. And I don’t consider myself to be smarter than you / in fact I usually think the opposite.

To me, leading questions that articulate a position never taken by the other person in a conversation tend not to be neither sincere nor helpful, especially when followed up by a judgmental comment.  But water under the bridge.

To be clear (haha) the group immediately behind this woman has spent several weeks committing arson, assaulting police and destroying property.  That night in particular terrorists were barricading police in a federal courthouse while shooting fireworks into the building.  On the street, they were hurling rocks and projectiles at police.

If somebody is cheering and encouraging those people and providing them support, what would you call them?

I see it like this.  If you go to a Celtics / Lakers game and boo the Lakers, that’s your right as a Celtics fan.  If you make rude signs and chant, fine.

But, if you lock the Lakers in their lockerroom, shoot fireworks in there, and pelt them with projectiles, you’re at best a violent criminal.  People who cheer you on while not actively participating in the violent activity are pretty crappy human beings themselves.

Where you said "The woman aligned with terrorists?" is where I got the idea that you were suggesting that all the protesters were terrorists.  That was a leap I shouldn't have made (especially where I was being critical about jumping to conclusions) -- but that is why I asked the question for confirmation.

Sorry if I sounded (or was) judgmental.

I don't understand the Laker locker room analogy if you are connecting this to the naked lady's behavior. It doesn't sound like she was cheering or supporting violence.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
You all know a lot more about this woman than I do.  So far she’s a courageous, attention-craving, terrorist.

I realize that blogs are intended (to some extent) for free-flowing unsubstantiated opinion, but you folks know nothing about this woman.   Yet you think you got her motives nailed down. Other than 15 minutes of naked yoga, you don’t know a single thing this woman has done in her life.

Isn’t prejudice and racism in large part precisely about jumping to conclusions without sufficient information? 

Interesting story and obviously speculation about motive makes sense and would be expected.  But you aren’t speculating, you are concluding.  I guess the problem is more likely that I haven’t adapted yet to a world where lead-ins like “I think she may be” or “I wonder if” aren’t necessary.

To be clear, you are saying every protester in Portland is a terrorist?  If so, I understand your conclusion about her.

Lol.  “Understand” away up there on your high horse while you put words in the mouth of we poor plebeians.

Why don’t you do some reading about what was going on before lecturing the rest of us.  Is “to be clear” one of those equivocal phrases that you like to use that makes you better than anybody else?

No. It was an honest question. I’m aware of the violence in Portland. And I don’t consider myself to be smarter than you / in fact I usually think the opposite.

To me, leading questions that articulate a position never taken by the other person in a conversation tend not to be neither sincere nor helpful, especially when followed up by a judgmental comment.  But water under the bridge.

To be clear (haha) the group immediately behind this woman has spent several weeks committing arson, assaulting police and destroying property.  That night in particular terrorists were barricading police in a federal courthouse while shooting fireworks into the building.  On the street, they were hurling rocks and projectiles at police.

If somebody is cheering and encouraging those people and providing them support, what would you call them?

I see it like this.  If you go to a Celtics / Lakers game and boo the Lakers, that’s your right as a Celtics fan.  If you make rude signs and chant, fine.

But, if you lock the Lakers in their lockerroom, shoot fireworks in there, and pelt them with projectiles, you’re at best a violent criminal.  People who cheer you on while not actively participating in the violent activity are pretty crappy human beings themselves.

Where you said "The woman aligned with terrorists?" is where I got the idea that you were suggesting that all the protesters were terrorists.  That was a leap I shouldn't have made (especially where I was being critical about jumping to conclusions) -- but that is why I asked the question for confirmation.

Sorry if I sounded (or was) judgmental.

I don't understand the Laker locker room analogy if you are connecting this to the naked lady's behavior. It doesn't sound like she was cheering or supporting violence.

The woman did this at the same scene where the violence took place.  While police were trying to disperse the crowd, she went out and displayed her genitalia at police.  It’s not a huge jump to conclude her sympathies were with the rioters / terrorists.

I know that a lot of the articles do not provide context, but this did not happen across town. This happened at the site where all of the violence was taking place. If she had been doing something noble such as taking a stand against violence, she would have been confronting the violent anarchists.  Instead, she aligned with them.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I saw the headline to the thread and thought, "oh, this must be someone protesting against non-mask-wearing by standing naked in public to prove a point".  Which, I'd actually think is a mildly clever way to prove a point and certainly reasonable enough.  Essentially, if you don't have to wear a mask why do I have to wear clothes?

But it doesn't seem that is what this was at all, in fact, I'm not sure what this woman, specifically, was 'protesting'. Either way, I am glad I don't live in Oregon.  And if I did I'd be packing up and getting the heck out as fast as possible.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I am glad I don't live in Oregon.  And if I did I'd be packing up and getting the heck out as fast as possible.

I lived in a Portland suburb in the early 90s.  Back then, outside of the inner city, it was an ideal area.  So was Seattle. I went back in the early 2000’s, and it had changed completely. Now, from what I see on television and read about, both cities seem to vacillate between communism and anarchy.

It’s really, really sad. I feel worst for the people who live in Eastern Washington and Oregon, though. They have much more in common with Idaho and Montana, but are subjected to the same far, far left policies that emanate from their western cities

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hours before what is expected to be the 53rd straight night of protests in the city, the head of the Portland police union said the community has “had enough.”

Portland Police Association President Daryl Turner, surrounded by 20 faith leaders, business owners, police officers and neighborhood residents, held a news conference in front of the union’s offices in North Portland. On Saturday, protesters broke in and lit a fire inside. The building itself was covered with graffiti.

“The elected officials have condoned the destruction and chaos,” said Turner. “They have placed their political agenda ahead safety and welfare of the community. This must stop.”

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 202
There is a YouTube video up of this incident. It seemed like she was trying to cause a stir with the police, and not with "peaceful" intentions.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1379
Some protesters have exhibited the lawless behavior that federal officials have cited to justify their crackdown: They have thrown cans and bottles, shot fireworks or pointed lasers at officers. One was recently accused of hitting a federal officer with a hammer. On Saturday, protesters set a fire in the police union headquarters.

But many others have demonstrated in the streets through peaceful means, appalled by the aggressive responses by federal officers that have left some protesters injured and the air inflamed with tear gas. They have held signs and marched. At times when people have thrown bottles, other demonstrators have rushed to try to stop them. On Saturday, a group of women locked arms and chanted: “Feds stay clear. Moms are here.”

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 10:42:11 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 269
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/07/20/president-trump-has-reenergized-portlands-protests/

"The more the police use war crimes, crimes against humanity, anti-democratic [actions], having police take over the three branches of government—legislative, executive and judicial—and prevent the freedom of press, that makes people who have never come out before get angry. We moms say, 'You're not gonna hurt our kids.'"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:49:25 AM by Emmette Bryant »

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »

Online mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829

That ... seems unnecessarily belligerent..  NG asked a straightforward question asking for clarification.   The point of asking for clarification is to NOT put words in someone's mouth.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479
One man's revolutionary is another man's terrorist.

I'm not against revolution and, in fact, absolutely reserve for myself the right to revolt against an oppressive government.  But if that is your path you best be prepared for the consequences of losing.

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 269
I am glad I don't live in Oregon.  And if I did I'd be packing up and getting the heck out as fast as possible.

I lived in a Portland suburb in the early 90s.  Back then, outside of the inner city, it was an ideal area.  So was Seattle. I went back in the early 2000’s, and it had changed completely. Now, from what I see on television and read about, both cities seem to vacillate between communism and anarchy.

It’s really, really sad. I feel worst for the people who live in Eastern Washington and Oregon, though. They have much more in common with Idaho and Montana, but are subjected to the same far, far left policies that emanate from their western cities

Don't worry Roy, we don't need you around here.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 11:15:13 AM »

Online GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2682
I think the BIGGEST issue here - Body Politics aside - is that there are Foreign Occupiers in Portland that are apparently making things worse.

The Governor and other politicians there seem to believe they ARE making things worse - the foreign shadow forces.

Why don't Portland Police eject them? Take back THEIR streets?
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Don't worry Roy, we don't need you around here.

You’re on board with burning down cities?  Perhaps places need fewer folks like you and more who follow the rule of law?