Of course the SYSTEM doesn't work. At least not how you'd wanted it to work.
If it did then all power would become chaotic. Established powers wouldn't be able to integrate plans into all institutions that take decades to execute. How can a 'government' control banks, financial institutions, military, law enforcement, courts, media, healthcare, science, universities, education etcetera when it could be replaced every four years (or earlier like you're proposing)?
The system, if you're willing to look past your own interests, is running almost perfectly. Even the supposed chaos in the USA is under control and is no threat for the system to continue as it has worked for over a century.
You have to explain the bolded a little bit more, are you advocating MORE executive power to the President/ And a longer term so that he can control banks, financial institutions, military, law enforcement, courts, media, healthcare, science, universities, education, etcetera? I do not get your point.
The main thesis of my post is that we fought against a Monarchy, yet everyday we move closer to one because our executives have become out of control for a number of reasons.
1. They grab more power to themsleves such as waging wars without congressional approval.
2. Waging wars based on lies (WMD)
3. Waging surrogate or secret wars that we do not even know about (drone strikes)
4. Assasinations that are supposed to be illegal.
5. Executive orders such as DACA and Muslim ban
6. Recess appointments to positions that require congressional approval.
7. Using defense funds for bnuilding walls.
The executive has aggrandized power to itself and there is nothing the people can do for years and years especially if that executive controls his party and congress. A true democracy or representative government should have a mechanism to remove an outlaw executive at ANYTIME. Othersise what you have is a serial monarchy.