Author Topic: Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence  (Read 1828 times)

Re: Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1379
Day late and a dollar short:

"Sen. Lindsey Graham has announced that he will grant Democrats’ request to have former special counsel Robert Mueller testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee about his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. The surprising statement from one of the Senate’s leaders comes a day after Mueller broke a longstanding silence to defend his probe, and its consequential conviction of Roger Stone, in a public op-ed."

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9359
Mueller finally speaks up again. He is just one more person that is tired of the lies and criminality of the current administration.

"Mueller defends Russia probe, says Stone remains a felon"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mueller-defends-russia-probe-says-224804208.html
blah, blah, blah.  he had the opportunity to be absolutely direct with charging/accusing the President with crimes and punted by hiding behind a DOJ memo that he wasn't allowed to.

he had a chance to do the right and proper thing by this country and instead he took the cowardly path by not committing to a guilty/not guilty appraisal of the facts based on his team's research and leaving room for the spineless scum in Congress to let Trump and his cronies skate.  had enough of him.  he can go pound sand.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 09:09:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 754
Day late and a dollar short:

"Sen. Lindsey Graham has announced that he will grant Democrats’ request to have former special counsel Robert Mueller testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee about his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. The surprising statement from one of the Senate’s leaders comes a day after Mueller broke a longstanding silence to defend his probe, and its consequential conviction of Roger Stone, in a public op-ed."

So now, after all the coddling he did for Trump, now he decides to move back to being reasonable??  Too late LG.  You tied yourself to Trump, and now you have to live with it.  Trump has the ability to be a huge boat anchor that ends up taking down a lot of people with him.  I suggest that LG should prepare for that.  Maybe the people of SC will accept the U turn back to normalcy right before election season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose come November.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:16:17 PM by blink »

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 11:18:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1285
Mueller finally speaks up again. He is just one more person that is tired of the lies and criminality of the current administration.

blah, blah, blah.  he had the opportunity to be absolutely direct with charging/accusing the President with crimes and punted by hiding behind a DOJ memo that he wasn't allowed to.

he had a chance to do the right and proper thing by this country and instead he took the cowardly path by not committing to a guilty/not guilty appraisal of the facts based on his team's research and leaving room for the spineless scum in Congress to let Trump and his cronies skate.  had enough of him.  he can go pound sand.

This!!

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 11:29:40 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 318

This!!

HEADLINE:
Little Late Lindsey develops case of I-wish-I-were-more-like-Romney-itis....

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1769

This!!

HEADLINE:

Of all the "Trumpers" over the last 3 years, Lindsey Graham has been the one that irritates me most.  After lambasting Trump in the 2016 campaign, being best friends with McCain, heaping praise on Joe Biden for being as a good a person as god ever created...   I would have thought Lindsey would, at most, keep his mouth shut.  But he has been as spineless a supporter of Trump as there has been in the senate.

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I'm wondering now if NY state attorneys will pursue charges against Stone in NY courts.

The legal course for doing so seems pretty clear.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 457

This!!

HEADLINE:

Of all the "Trumpers" over the last 3 years, Lindsey Graham has been the one that irritates me most.  After lambasting Trump in the 2016 campaign, being best friends with McCain, heaping praise on Joe Biden for being as a good a person as god ever created...   I would have thought Lindsey would, at most, keep his mouth shut.  But he has been as spineless a supporter of Trump as there has been in the senate.

Perfect example of realpolitik. He knows he's going to get primaried and will lose the second he takes a position against Trump. There was an article in the NYT about this last year:

What did happen to Lindsey Graham? I raised the question directly to him the following afternoon in his Senate office in Washington. Graham was collapsed behind a cluttered desk, sipping a Coke Zero and complaining of exhaustion.

“Well, O.K., from my point of view, if you know anything about me, it’d be odd not to do this,” he said.

I asked what “this” was. “ ‘This,’ ” Graham said, “is to try to be relevant.” Politics, he explained, was the art of what works and what brings desired outcomes. “I’ve got an opportunity up here working with the president to get some really good outcomes for the country,” he told me.

An outcome of particular interest to Graham, at the moment, is getting re-elected to a fourth Senate term in South Carolina, where Trump owns commanding approval numbers, especially among the hard-core Republicans who in the past questioned Graham’s devotion to their conservative cause. Sure, Graham allowed, you might emphasize some things more than others when you’re trying to appeal to the party base. “You just showcase your issues, right?” he said. During his last re-election campaign, in 2014, Graham asserted his base bona fides by railing against President Barack Obama’s White House “scumbags” and warning that “the world is literally about to blow up.” He has always been conservative, he emphasized. “But in our business, you’re not defined by the 80 percent agreement. You’re defined by the 20 percent” that the base might object to. (His relatively liberal position on immigration once led Rush Limbaugh to dub him “Lindsey Grahamnesty.”)

Graham reminded me that when McCain was facing re-election in 2010, he turned himself into “the most conservative member of the U.S. Senate.” That was the race in which McCain claimed that he never embraced the “maverick” label, and people were asking, “What happened to John McCain?” Graham chuckled at the memory.

In acknowledging this, Graham was speaking to me as a fellow creature of Washington, fully versed in the election-year “showcasing” he is now engaged in — one of the “people who are so smart” that he derided the day before. “If you don’t want to get re-elected, you’re in the wrong business,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/magazine/lindsey-graham-what-happened-trump.html

It's all about staying in power.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington said the rules are clear.

“The ethics rules for executive branch employees say that you can’t use your official position to promote a private business,” said Noah Bookbinder, executive director of CREW. “It’s pretty clear that the context in which this came out is that Goya had been supportive of the Trump administration and the Trump administration was being supportive of Goya.”

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
I'm wondering if Trump was also sending out a message to his good friend Ghislaine Maxwell.

NEW YORK (AP) — A judge ordered the release from prison of President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer on Thursday, saying he believes the government retaliated against him for planning to release a book about Trump before November's election.

Michael Cohen's First Amendment rights were violated when he was ordered back to prison on July 9 after probation authorities said he refused to sign a form banning him from publishing the book or communicating publicly in other manners, U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein said during a telephone conference.

Hellerstein ordered Michael Cohen released from prison by 2 p.m. on Friday.

“How can I take any other inference than that it’s retaliatory?” Hellerstein asked prosecutors, who insisted in court papers and again Thursday that Probation Department officers did not know about the book when they wrote a provision of home confinement that severely restricted Cohen's public communications.

“I’ve never seen such a clause in 21 years of being a judge and sentencing people and looking at terms of supervised release,” the judge said. “Why would the Bureau of Prisons ask for something like this ... unless there was a retaliatory purpose?"