Author Topic: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments  (Read 3370 times)

Re: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27135
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The stuff about the Rothschilds, the "elites," and the Illuminati all reference far-right conspiracy theories that Jews control the world and want to destroy America etc. It's very close to what people like Mel Gibson and Alex Jones (allegedly) believe.

It's legit hate speech. If one went to the to Daily Stormer or 8chan with that stuff one would find a receptive audience.

Yeah, it is.  Unfortunately, antisemitism has always been somewhat normalized.  I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as being far right, however; I’d just stick to calling it hatred.  Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are all leftists who are also anti-Semites, for instance.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 397
So i'm a fan of the Flash TV show (it has its share of flaws, but when it's good, it's really good).

I finished the most recent (and sadly abbreviated) season on Netflix the other day and then saw on the internet that Hartley Sawyer, the actor who played Elongated Man, has been fired for racist and misogynistic tweets.

Turns out those tweets were 6-8 years ago when he was 25 and not famous. And none of them come across as even vaguely serious. Yes they could be construed as offensive, and are of questionable taste, but they are clearly in jest and not malicious.

Now this guy has been publicly shamed, fired, and probably blacklisted.

In the meanwhile Stephen Jackson doubles down on hate and gets to keep his job? What is the disconnect here? IMO if Jackson were white he would have been fired instantaneously.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hartley-sawyer-fired-flash-misogynist-tweets-surface-1297483

To further your point about a double standard, consider the following:

You don't support BLM, then you are a target for deletion. It doesn't matter that one of the stated goals of BLM is
The active resistance against colonial powers and a shifting of power towards acquisition of our own political, economic, educational, cultural, psychic independence and power. This process occurs politically and also applies to personal and societal psychic, cultural, political, agricultural, and educational deconstruction of colonial oppression

Which is kind of odd when you think about it. Why have statues to confederates because they were traitors we're told. Yet right here we see BLM wanting to separate itself from the US.

Then we have:
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
  Which is anti family.

None of this gets anyone canceled, instead people who say this are applauded and encouraged. You stand against this and off to the UE line you go.

The disconnect here is if you are not a member of the leftists brown shirts, you will be canceled. We are experiencing a rebranded fascism using race and SJW propaganda as a trojan horse in order to bring about a marxist regime.

The left has taken control of our institutions, big business, tech, education and entertainment. They are actively purging dissent and any person who does not think like they do.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the mark of the beast isn't a physical mark, but rather a way of thinking one must have if they want to work and live in society.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So i'm a fan of the Flash TV show (it has its share of flaws, but when it's good, it's really good).

I finished the most recent (and sadly abbreviated) season on Netflix the other day and then saw on the internet that Hartley Sawyer, the actor who played Elongated Man, has been fired for racist and misogynistic tweets.

Turns out those tweets were 6-8 years ago when he was 25 and not famous. And none of them come across as even vaguely serious. Yes they could be construed as offensive, and are of questionable taste, but they are clearly in jest and not malicious.

In the meanwhile Stephen Jackson doubles down on hate and gets to keep his job? What is the disconnect here? IMO if Jackson were white he would have been fired instantaneously.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hartley-sawyer-fired-flash-misogynist-tweets-surface-1297483

I actually posted about that several times. I have participated in the 'mob,' mentality, and the cancel culture before and I'm ashamed to admit that. But more and more I'm beginning to see the toxicity of it. Instead of attacking people inherently being racist and trying to at least change their views, we're quickly removing people from their lives.

While, his tweets were definitely cringe worthy & misogynistic --- I don't think he deserved that. But now he's blacklisted, and probably won't find any more opportunities without expecting severe backlash?

You have to also consider the fact it is CW - politically correct network that caters to people's insecurities...

"Political correctness has its place,” Chappelle told reporters on the red carpet (via The Hill). “We all want to live in a polite society, we just kind of have to work on the levels of coming to an agreement of what that actually looks like.”

But getting back to your point about SJax.

There is a double standard, and it is disappointing no one has really said anything from the NBA standpoint except Kanter.

You don't support BLM, then you are a target for deletion. It doesn't matter that one of the stated goals of BLM is
The active resistance against colonial powers and a shifting of power towards acquisition of our own political, economic, educational, cultural, psychic independence and power. This process occurs politically and also applies to personal and societal psychic, cultural, political, agricultural, and educational deconstruction of colonial oppression

Which is kind of odd when you think about it. Why have statues to confederates because they were traitors we're told. Yet right here we see BLM wanting to separate itself from the US.

Then we have:
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
  Which is anti family.

None of this gets anyone canceled, instead people who say this are applauded and encouraged. You stand against this and off to the UE line you go.

The disconnect here is if you are not a member of the leftists brown shirts, you will be canceled. We are experiencing a rebranded fascism using race and SJW propaganda as a trojan horse in order to bring about a marxist regime.

The left has taken control of our institutions, big business, tech, education and entertainment. They are actively purging dissent and any person who does not think like they do.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the mark of the beast isn't a physical mark, but rather a way of thinking one must have if they want to work and live in society.

Oh boy........  ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 786
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

Then we have:
  Which is anti family.

Way to miss the mark and derail the thread

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 397

Then we have:
  Which is anti family.

Way to miss the mark and derail the thread

The question was posed if it had been the other way around would he get a pass. I think we know that answer to that.

I gave examples of the double standard that is out there. What happened or didn't happen to Jackson isn't something that can just be contained to a "yeah it's bad" and call it a day. The whole reason this topic even warrants more than a condemnation for what he said is all due to this double standard. I think it's pretty much agreed what he said is wrong. I see no wrong in building on the underlying issue of the thread.

To  be clear, I'm not for Jackson losing his job or anything despite saying some very dumb things.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 828
The stuff about the Rothschilds, the "elites," and the Illuminati all reference far-right conspiracy theories that Jews control the world and want to destroy America etc. It's very close to what people like Mel Gibson and Alex Jones (allegedly) believe.

It's legit hate speech. If one went to the to Daily Stormer or 8chan with that stuff one would find a receptive audience.

Yeah, it is.  Unfortunately, antisemitism has always been somewhat normalized.  I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as being far right, however; I’d just stick to calling it hatred.  Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are all leftists who are also anti-Semites, for instance.

Agree the right/left line gets blurry once you enter conspiracy/hate territory. Some folks seem to gravitate towards extreme negativity regardless of their background.

And I think that's a big part of the problem - basic negativity. We are all guilty of it. But left unchecked, ideas fester into the sort of hate we saw spewed by the Jacksons. Instead of presenting solutions and hope we find scapegoats and conflict. And playing the blame game usually isn't going to lead to any long-term solutions.

Language and mindset play a large role in framing the current controversies.

Consider these two statements:

1. We must create a system in which police officers are properly vetted, trained, and held accountable for their actions

2. We must defund the police

The first inherently suggests building, improving, correcting. The second suggests destruction or punishment. And the second is much more inflammatory and leads to more conflict rather than resolution.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:01:34 PM by kraidstar »

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 828

I actually posted about that several times. I have participated in the 'mob,' mentality, and the cancel culture before and I'm ashamed to admit that. But more and more I'm beginning to see the toxicity of it. Instead of attacking people inherently being racist and trying to at least change their views, we're quickly removing people from their lives.

While, his tweets were definitely cringe worthy & misogynistic --- I don't think he deserved that. But now he's blacklisted, and probably won't find any more opportunities without expecting severe backlash?

You have to also consider the fact it is CW - politically correct network that caters to people's insecurities...

"Political correctness has its place,” Chappelle told reporters on the red carpet (via The Hill). “We all want to live in a polite society, we just kind of have to work on the levels of coming to an agreement of what that actually looks like.”

But getting back to your point about SJax.

There is a double standard, and it is disappointing no one has really said anything from the NBA standpoint except Kanter.

What really bothers me about the Hartley Sawyer thing is the Flash is supposed to be about redemption, inclusion, forgiveness. Those are perennial themes in the show. I don't see why this couldn't have been a learning opportunity for the cast/fans instead of a termination. It just seems wrong.

BTW I wouldn't want to be a legit comedian now. We are getting so humorless as a nation. Guys like Chappelle are funny because they dare to say the quiet part out loud. They observe, they lampoon, and it reminds us that we're all a little crazy but that's ultimately normal.

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 3560
  • Yup
That Hitler did indeed hate the Jews.  Sucks that his voice still rings apparently.

I'm Jewish.  I'll let you in on a secret - WE'RE NOT EVIL.

Maybe we can rip the bandaid off of Anti-Semitism while we're having an open discussion.  I've been supportive of BLM and truly believe people of color have not been given a fair shake in this country.  I've had it insinuated to me that I can empathize more with their cause because I'm Jewish and we've dealt with our fair share of crap over the millennia.  It's a totally different thing. 

I have experienced some stupid stuff about Judaism, but I've never felt my life threatened and I've never been excluded or held back from anything. I can blend in as a white guy. 

I have empathy for their cause because of my moral compass, not because I can relate even a bit to what their experience. 

It makes me wonder what those who wear Yarmulkes out in the community must go through.

Anyhow...this stuff hurts my brain and scares the crap out of me.  I wish he hadn't gone that direction.
Yup

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 07:16:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2677
They both have apologized....this is more than what our "current" leadership does.

They will both learn from it and grow.

Meanwhile, Stephen will have to navigate being in George Floyd's daughter's life, now - since he adopted her.

There are LOTS of hurting people in this country right now....not just those hurt by their untimely and hurtful comments.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 539
Malcolm Jenkins is getting blasted on his Instagram for saying we’re losing focus and ‘Jewish people aren’t our problem, and we are not Jewish people’s problem’

The hypocrisy being displayed and the outright obliviousness to it is shocking and borderline hilarious if this wasn’t such a sensitive issue.  It’s like watching someone struggle to get out of quicksand.  Saying ‘yeah that was bad’ but let’s move on does nothing but give the ‘All Lives Matter’ saying a whole lot more steam

Greg

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1273
what kind of media pays so much attention to what an athlete says? An athlete that has not been educated on the topic to which he spoke. Desean Jackson is a rich athelete wht other qualification warrants the platform he is given for speaking on a deep issue like this?

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
what kind of media pays so much attention to what an athlete says? An athlete that has not been educated on the topic to which he spoke. Desean Jackson is a rich athelete wht other qualification warrants the platform he is given for speaking on a deep issue like this?
Media is a joke nowadays. The sad part is that media people / personalities that express opinions and try to “educate” you on things haven’t read more than 3 books in there lives outside their curriculums

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen

Isn’t this just a nice way of saying they should be quiet and dribble?  I know when that comment was made it was insensitive and racially charged, but your sentiment is basically the root of where that comment comes from
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:54:01 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1273

Isn’t this just a nice way of saying they should be quiet and dribble?  I know when that comment was made it was insensitive and racially charged, but your sentiment is basically the root of where that comment comes from

Actually, I do not think so. All I ask is that you do not give platform to people just because of their celebrity. Our country has become a celebritocracy, and it is time to confront this problem. It is celebrity that gave us Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of a state that was one time the 5th largest economy in the world. Would you have Arnold do your taxes? It is your line of thinking that made Ben Carson declare that doctors should weigh in on political matters because they are the smartest people in the world. Really? Now the same Carson is Sec of HUD and has no clue what he his doing.

Education is cast aside in favor of celebrity, and I do not mean formal education. I mean actually educating yourself on an issue before you tallk about it. Why would any sane person give DeSean Jackson's position on Jews any importance when he obviously has no clue what he is talking about. Because he is rich? Because he is a FB player? Would you give the same importance to the nonentity who is just as uneducated on teh subject as Jackson?

So, I am not saying shut up and dribble, I am saying educate yourself on the subject before you mouth off.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 09:56:24 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen

Actually, I do not think so. All I ask is that you do not give platform to people just because of their celebrity. Our country has become a celebritocracy, and it is time to confront this problem. It is celebrity that gave us Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of a state that was one time the 5th largest economy in the world. Would you have Arnold do your taxes? It is your line of thinking that made Ben Carson declare that doctors should weigh in on political matters because they are the smartest people in the world. Really? Now the same Carson is Sec of HUD and has no clue what he his doing.

Education is cast aside in favor of celebrity, and I do not mean formal education. I mean actually educating yourself on an issue before you tallk about it. Why would any sane person give DeSean Jackson's position on Jews any importance when he obviously has no clue what he is talking about. Because he is rich? Because he is a FB player? Would you give the same importance to the nonentity who is just as uneducated on teh subject as Jackson?

So, I am not saying shut up and dribble, I am saying educate yourself on the subject before you mouth off.

I'm having trouble differentiating between shut and dribble and educate yourself on the subject before you mouth off.  This kind of enters into a bit of a rabbit hole.  Desean was quoting a book, so some people would say that he was educating himself, depending on if you ask Louis Farakon or Barak Obama .  This was also someone who has spent at least two years in college.  Lebron, who was told to shut and dribble, has no such education to speak of on the college level.

Desean obviously wasnt right, but to say this is a media problem creates a bigger discussion.  Desean didnt say this on CNN or foxnews, he said it on twitter.  So are you against the NBA players voicing political messages on social media?  or how about on their jerseys during the NBA restart?  How do you know their educated enough on the subject to display such a message?  Like I said, a rabbit hole.

this isnt a new thing.  athletes do stupid things.  Look at Brian Bosworth in the 80s with his communist tshirt.  Hes an idiot.  So is Desean Jackson.  The problem is, with this movement, athletes are taking it upon themselves to be leaders, if youre ok with athletes involving themselves in politics, you have to be prepared to take the good and the bad.

And this is bad.  Its literally highlighting a double standard and setting off fireworks around it......and if it isnt, it should be
Greg