Author Topic: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments  (Read 3459 times)

Re: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Jussie Smollett has a new rival In the “playing the victim” game:

In a lengthy statement posted to his Facebook page early Wednesday, Cannon wrote, “If I have furthered the hate speech, I wholeheartedly apologize. But now I am the one making demands. I demand full ownership of my billion dollar ‘Wild ‘N Out’ brand that I created, and they will continue to misuse and destroy without my leadership! I demand that the hate and back door bullying cease and while we are at it, now that the truth is out, I demand the Apology!”

In the post, which is titled ‘Truth and Reconciliation,’ Cannon began by noting he is “deeply saddened in a moment so close to reconciliation that the powers that be, misused an important moment for us to all grow closer together and learn more about one another.”

“Instead the moment was stolen and highjacked [sic] to make an example of an outspoken black man. I will not be bullied, silenced, or continuously oppressed by any organization, group, or corporation. I am disappointed that Viacom does not understand or respect the power of the black community,” he continued.

Cannon calls Jews and white people inferior due to the lack of melanin in their skin, calls them “savages”, and suggests that Jews usurped the place of Africans.  Yet he has the balls to demand an apology?  Well played, sir, well played.  That’s a Trumpian level of audacity.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

In a lengthy statement posted to his Facebook page early Wednesday, Cannon wrote, “If I have furthered the hate speech, I wholeheartedly apologize. But now I am the one making demands. I demand full ownership of my billion dollar ‘Wild ‘N Out’ brand that I created, and they will continue to misuse and destroy without my leadership! I demand that the hate and back door bullying cease and while we are at it, now that the truth is out, I demand the Apology!”

In the post, which is titled ‘Truth and Reconciliation,’ Cannon began by noting he is “deeply saddened in a moment so close to reconciliation that the powers that be, misused an important moment for us to all grow closer together and learn more about one another.”

“Instead the moment was stolen and highjacked [sic] to make an example of an outspoken black man. I will not be bullied, silenced, or continuously oppressed by any organization, group, or corporation. I am disappointed that Viacom does not understand or respect the power of the black community,” he continued.

Cannon calls Jews and white people inferior due to the lack of melanin in their skin, calls them “savages”, and suggests that Jews usurped the place of Africans.  Yet he has the balls to demand an apology?  Well played, sir, well played.  That’s a Trumpian level of audacity.

Nick Cannon has a penchant for throwing away opportunities and burning many bridges in the most embarrassing ways. Par the course for him as usual.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
The problem with this no matter what is ---
I feel like some people see bigotry as having a hierarchy. Like, it's downright horrible, and chances are you'll get cancelled especially if you're white; (this is where the double standard therein lies,) if you're bigoted against black people, people seem to not really care that much at all if it is like Jewish people, or Indians.

I firmly believe if you're going to preach equality, it should be for everyone, not just when it's convenient for you to push your agenda.

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1768
The problem with this no matter what is ---
I feel like some people see bigotry as having a hierarchy. Like, it's downright horrible, and chances are you'll get cancelled especially if you're white; (this is where the double standard therein lies,) if you're bigoted against black people, people seem to not really care that much at all if it is like Jewish people, or Indians.

I firmly believe if you're going to preach equality, it should be for everyone, not just when it's convenient for you to push your agenda.

In theory I agree. In practice, bigotry in action can’t be separated from power.  As illustration, blacks and whites in the 60s may have been equally bigoted or racist, but only one group had the power to institutionalize the bigotry.   In any “ism” right and wrong obviously matters, but power is what allows for systemic persecution and oppression.

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Dwayne Wade has since deleted his tweet.

Dwyane Wade FYI:

Farrakhan doesn’t like trans kids and gays. So how do you feel supporting someone who thinks your trans son is going to be doomed to eternal hell from 'Satanic,' jews.

It is mind boggling how people exonerates for their own ignorance, but fail to realize the hypocrisy/irony of their own statements. Maybe it is due to a lack of awareness but for his sake and his family, I hope he realizes the error of his ways.

Then again, I've always soured on Wade for long time now.

And excuse me for using this word, (I don't mean any ill intent with it at all,) but if 'Karens,' are getting cancelled for acting out with bigotry, so should these black celebrities/supremacists.

One of my friends implicitly has said many times, "I don't want SPECIAL treatment. I JUST WANT TO BE CONSIDERED YOUR EQUAL!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:04:34 PM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1283

Again, why do you pay Nick Cannon any mind? Because he is a celebrity? Becaue he is rich? I am just trying to understand why what he has to say matters? You put these celebrities on pedestals they do not deserve then get upset when they spew their ignorance.

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2020, 06:33:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Again, why do you pay Nick Cannon any mind? Because he is a celebrity? Becaue he is rich? I am just trying to understand why what he has to say matters? You put these celebrities on pedestals they do not deserve then get upset when they spew their ignorance.

Isn’t part of being a good citizen calling out prejudice and hatred when you see it?

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

You literally just answered your question. Because they are a celebrity.

If you don't care about what he says, why are you in this thread talking about it? If they had no talent, and nothing of value, why would people listen to them? Buy his merchandise? Watch Wild N' Out?

We like to be entertained, and celebrities entertain us. Whether you like it or not, that celebrity status gives them a wide large margin for platforms. It isn't your duty as a celebrity to adhere to societal norms, no one is saying that. But if you act like a bigot or hateful, expect to be called out on it just like any other person.

Entertainment is a huge part of the human experience and to be able to do it well is a significant contribution to society. Is that not why we are Celtic fans in the first place? Because we enjoy watching our team?

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 795
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don’t think it’s entirely the fault of the everyday person that they have such platforms. They have the ability to share their views with billions of people thanks to the way media has developed. They have monstrous platforms regardless of whether or not we discuss them on a basketball forum

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2020, 11:23:48 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey

If you don't care about what he says, why are you in this thread talking about it? If they had no talent, and nothing of value, why would people listen to them? Buy his merchandise? Watch Wild N' Out?

We like to be entertained, and celebrities entertain us. Whether you like it or not, that celebrity status gives them a wide large margin for platforms. It isn't your duty as a celebrity to adhere to societal norms, no one is saying that. But if you act like a bigot or hateful, expect to be called out on it just like any other person.

Entertainment is a huge part of the human experience and to be able to do it well is a significant contribution to society. Is that not why we are Celtic fans in the first place? Because we enjoy watching our team?

I really dont care what he said, I am in this thread to express my angst as to why you guys care. Do you understand that? Desean Jackson is a celebrity football player. His celebrity does not extend beyond that. When he spews nonsense, I laugh and move on. I do not act as if some moral authority like the Archbishop of Canterbury said this.

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I really dont care what he said, I am in this thread to express my angst as to why you guys care. Do you understand that? Desean Jackson is a celebrity football player. His celebrity does not extend beyond that. When he spews nonsense, I laugh and move on. I do not act as if some moral authority like the Archbishop of Canterbury said this.

You’d feel similarly if a white player disparaged black people, too?

Laughing off prejudice has happened for too long, don’t you think?

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2020, 02:12:44 AM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey

not laughing off prejudices at all, again you are missing my point. The man made an ignorant statement, it shows he is ignorant why attach so much importance to what Desean Jackson or Drew Brees say? They are not moral leaders in my book.

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:59 AM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 795
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

not laughing off prejudices at all, again you are missing my point. The man made an ignorant statement, it shows he is ignorant why attach so much importance to what Desean Jackson or Drew Brees say? They are not moral leaders in my book.
You keep insisting on this being some talking point, when it’s not. Athletes and celebrities have had established platforms to use vast amounts of influence for decades. That’s why it’s important. They can influence the opinions of thousands upon thousands. Just because they’re not experts doesn’t change the fact that they have lots of power. Wanting them to actually use that power correctly isn’t some controversial thing.

The people in this thread contribute nothing to them having such a platform. Celebs have had massive platforms for as long as almost all living people can remember - that won’t change soon

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2020, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Allen Iverson's 'fake,' apology. Oh well, anti-antisemitism in the world has always been rampant. Pretty sad to see. Even if Farrakhan passes away, there will always be another wicked and evil person to take his place.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:27:52 PM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Here’s why we have problems in this country.  Compare the “dialogue” here.

Quote from: Charles Barkley
Listen, DeSean Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Nick Cannon, Ice Cube. Man, what the hell are y’all doing? Y’all want racial equality. We all do. I don’t understand how insulting another group helps our cause. And the only person who called y’all on it was Kareem. We can’t allow Black people to be prejudiced, also. Especially if we’re asking for white folks to respect us, give us economic opportunity and things like that. I’m so disappointed in these men. I don’t understand how you beat hatred with more hatred. That stuff should never come up in your vocabulary, and it should never come up in your heart. I don’t understand it. I’m never gonna accept it. And I’m asking you guys. I’m begging you guys, man. You guys are famous. You’ve got a platform. We’ve got to do better, man. I want allies. I don’t want to alienate anybody. And to take shots at the Jewish race, the white race, I just don’t like it because it’s not right. And I had to call them on it because it’s really — it’s really been on my heart.

Charles Barkley, speak on what you know. Don’t stop letting people put a battery in your back to say certain s— that you don’t even know what you’re talking about. I know what I said. So, keep my name out your mouth. However you feel, I honestly don’t give a f—. But that don’t stop nothing I got going on. I’m out here with the real people, the people that’s really suffering, caring about my people. You dig what I’m saying? That’s what I’m doing. So, to Charles Barkley, I could give a f— how you feel. And that’s on me to you, since you upset with motherf—ers. We don’t give a f— what you’re upset with. I know I don’t. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing. The people supporting me. The people standing with me while y’all been sitting on TV rubbing y’all fat-ass bellies. Y’all got me f—ed up. Yeah, I’m going to reply. Ain’t nobody else going to say nothing. But y’all keep that same energy when y’all see me, too.

Way to be a stereotype, SJ.  Violent, ignorant and hate-filled.