Author Topic: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments  (Read 3457 times)

Re: DeSean Jackson & Stephen Jackson's 'questionable,' comments
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 174
Just jumping in here cold: I’m glad athletes have these platforms. Like it or not, they’re role models in a worldwide community. I’ve always rooted against LBJ but tbh, him taking a stand is impt.

Now, on Desean Jackson, it’s good he has a platform but it’s also good that he’s getting blasted for spreading hate. I wouldn’t advocate for removing his platform or whatever. How he responds to the hate (aka educating himself in the public eye) is important. Because it shows —> you can be hateful today but you can still change, and it’s ok to say you were wrong.

I find so many people proclaim a belief and then stick to it blindly because they’d rather the world burn than their ego be bruised.

- LilRip

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2020, 10:47:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 539
Just jumping in here cold: I’m glad athletes have these platforms. Like it or not, they’re role models in a worldwide community. I’ve always rooted against LBJ but tbh, him taking a stand is impt.

Now, on Desean Jackson, it’s good he has a platform but it’s also good that he’s getting blasted for spreading hate. I wouldn’t advocate for removing his platform or whatever. How he responds to the hate (aka educating himself in the public eye) is important. Because it shows —> you can be hateful today but you can still change, and it’s ok to say you were wrong.

I find so many people proclaim a belief and then stick to it blindly because they’d rather the world burn than their ego be bruised.

the counterpoint is that theres people who apologize just to get the monkey off their back, they dont change the way they truely feel, they just want to satisfy the mob.

I really believe this is what desean jackson did.  I also believe it was what drew brees did as well.

freedom of the press, the way it was written in the constitution and the spirit from which it was added in the constitution, obviously did not take into account the influence social media, and the internet in general can have as far as public influence.

if were gonna get anywhere as a society, something needs to be done about regulating the spread of misinformation in the media and on the internet in general.  I havent even the spec of an idea of how this would be accomplished but i really do believe this problem is a major root of the divide in this country right now
Greg

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1283

of course they are role models, but they are role models in a limited role which is in the field they excel. When I was young I looked up to athletes as far as their athletic accomplishments and celebrity, I definitely did not follow their views on things which I did not believe they had more knowledge than me.

Kids can idolize LBJ for his basketball prowress but they really should not be listening to him on quantum physics.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:28:17 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1283
what kind of media pays so much attention to what an athlete says? An athlete that has not been educated on the topic to which he spoke. Desean Jackson is a rich athelete wht other qualification warrants the platform he is given for speaking on a deep issue like this?

Isn’t this just a nice way of saying they should be quiet and dribble?  I know when that comment was made it was insensitive and racially charged, but your sentiment is basically the root of where that comment comes from

Actually, I do not think so. All I ask is that you do not give platform to people just because of their celebrity. Our country has become a celebritocracy, and it is time to confront this problem. It is celebrity that gave us Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of a state that was one time the 5th largest economy in the world. Would you have Arnold do your taxes? It is your line of thinking that made Ben Carson declare that doctors should weigh in on political matters because they are the smartest people in the world. Really? Now the same Carson is Sec of HUD and has no clue what he his doing.

Education is cast aside in favor of celebrity, and I do not mean formal education. I mean actually educating yourself on an issue before you tallk about it. Why would any sane person give DeSean Jackson's position on Jews any importance when he obviously has no clue what he is talking about. Because he is rich? Because he is a FB player? Would you give the same importance to the nonentity who is just as uneducated on teh subject as Jackson?

So, I am not saying shut up and dribble, I am saying educate yourself on the subject before you mouth off.

I'm having trouble differentiating between shut and dribble and educate yourself on the subject before you mouth off.  This kind of enters into a bit of a rabbit hole.  Desean was quoting a book, so some people would say that he was educating himself, depending on if you ask Louis Farakon or Barak Obama .  This was also someone who has spent at least two years in college.  Lebron, who was told to shut and dribble, has no such education to speak of on the college level.

Desean obviously wasnt right, but to say this is a media problem creates a bigger discussion.  Desean didnt say this on CNN or foxnews, he said it on twitter.  So are you against the NBA players voicing political messages on social media?  or how about on their jerseys during the NBA restart?  How do you know their educated enough on the subject to display such a message?  Like I said, a rabbit hole.

this isnt a new thing.  athletes do stupid things.  Look at Brian Bosworth in the 80s with his communist tshirt.  Hes an idiot.  So is Desean Jackson.  The problem is, with this movement, athletes are taking it upon themselves to be leaders, if youre ok with athletes involving themselves in politics, you have to be prepared to take the good and the bad.

And this is bad.  Its literally highlighting a double standard and setting off fireworks around it......and if it isnt, it should be

I do not mean it in the same sense as Laura Ingram's shut up and dribble. I do not believe in formal education as the only pre-requisite to learning, but honestly if you are going to speak on a subject be educated on it. I think it is lazy journalism to give DeSean Jackson a platform just because he is a football player. Have you ever heard the saying 'ignore ignorance'? Now I know about Desean's nonsense not because of his tweet, but because the media blew it up for their sensationalism. Desean did go to Cal for 2 years, but please do you really want to go down that rabbit hole? He obviously should have stayed for four to learn something.

It is the media, it is out society, we do not compartmentalize, excellence in one field does not automatically make you and authority in all fields of human endeavor. If you want to call that just shut up and dribble, fine, but it would be a metaphor for everyone that steps out of their lane without adequate preparation.

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Nick Cannon's “hateful speech” and anti-Semitic theories led ViacomCBS to cut ties with the TV host and producer, the media giant said.

“ViacomCBS condemns bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism," the company said in a statement Tuesday. It is terminating its relationship with Cannon, ViacomCBS said.

The company's move was in response to remarks made by Cannon on a podcast in which he and Richard “Professor Griff” Griffith, the former Public Enemy member, discussed racial bias. The podcast reportedly was filmed last year and aired two weeks ago.

“We have spoken with Nick Cannon about an episode of his podcast ‘Cannon’s Class’ on YouTube, which promoted hateful speech and spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories,” ViacomCBS said.

“While we support ongoing education and dialogue in the fight against bigotry, we are deeply troubled that Nick has failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism, and we are terminating our relationship with him,” the company said.

Cannon produced “Wild ’n Out,” a comedy improv series for VH1, a ViacomCBS-owned cable channel. He's been a regular part of TV shows unconnected to the company, including as the former host of NBC's “America's Got Talent” and host of Fox's “The Masked Singer.”

There was no immediate response to requests for comment made to a representative for Cannon and to him through his website. Fox also didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

In Cannon's hour-plus podcast, he and Griffin contend that Black people are the true Hebrews and that Jews have usurped their identity.

Cannon then segues into a discussion of skin color — “And I’m going to say this carefully,” he begins — to allege that people who lack sufficient melanin are “a little less.”

Those without dark skin have a “deficiency” that historically forced them to act out of fear and commit acts of violence to survive, he said.

“They had to be savages,” Cannon said, adding that he was referring to “Jewish people, white people, Europeans,” among others.

ViacomCBS’ action came as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the basketball great and writer, condemned several sports and entertainment celebrities for anti-Semitic tweets and posts and what he called a “shocking lack of indignation” in response.

I’m shocked Viacom acted.  Nobody else seems to care all that much about anti-Semitism.  Even here, I wonder what would have happened if he’d given a totally insincere apology.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Good for Kareem saying what needed to be said. 

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »

Online Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 318
Allen Iverson posted on IG a pic of him with Farrakhan. DeSean Jackson liked it apparently.

I really am curious how they're reconciling whatever respect they have for the man with his hate speech.

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Good for Kareem saying what needed to be said.

Indeed.  Kareem seems to walk the walk on civil rights.

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Allen Iverson posted on IG a pic of him with Farrakhan. DeSean Jackson liked it apparently.

I really am curious how they're reconciling whatever respect they have for the man with his hate speech.

I don’t think there’s much reconciling it.  If DeSean acts like a black supremacist anti-Semite, copies the rhetoric of black supremacist anti-semites, and publicly supports black supremacist anti-semites, I think we can draw some conclusions.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I love how we live in an age where we get to hear and discuss Desean (and Stephen) Jackson's opinion about who the real children of Israel were. Like, you have to be kidding me, right? I understand that athletes and entertainers are given a platform on which they can make a difference, but most of them don't deserve that platform. The only thing more troubling than the majority holding down a minority is when minorities go after each other. Talk about a great way to isolate yourself.

I haven't read or watched any of the provided links in this thread - only the responses - so maybe I am out of line, but not only is this totally wacky - like, Kyrie-level wacky - but it is disgusting.

'Have to say I empathize with your take.  I am a little behind on this 'hot topic' because, well, I never paid a rat's penny to anything DeSean Jackson or Steven Jackson had to say.  This was completely off my radar until I read this thread.

FWIW:  Count me in the camp that finds what DeSean posted as ignorant, disgusting and insensitive.  And I, like many, found his apology somewhat weak and displaying continued ignorance.

I found this article, by Jemele Hill, on The Atlantic to be very thoughtful, coming from someone who made a similar (far less extreme) mistake once and fully owning up to it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/desean-jacksons-blind-spot-and-mine/614095/

I recommend reading that - she doesn't go easy on DeSean at all, but does bring some clarity on the nature of the 'blindspot' that he probably has in his world view.

Like her, I think Jackson should take up Edelman's offer to accompany him on tours of both the U.S. Holocaust Museum as well as the National Museum of African History.

Heck, we all should.  I would also add that folks should also go tour the National Museum of the American Indian.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Allen Iverson posted IG picture of him with Farrakhan.

Iverson says about the meeting that quote:

I didn’t choose to be black, I just got lucky! #BucketlistMoment #LoveConquersHate #GoodDefeatsEvil

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:28:05 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »

Online Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 318

I don’t think there’s much reconciling it.  If DeSean acts like a black supremacist anti-Semite, copies the rhetoric of black supremacist anti-semites, and publicly supports black supremacist anti-semites, I think we can draw some conclusions.
I don't know anything about DeSean, but he seems to not be willfully ignorant and more an actual anti-Semite, hopefully his perspective can be changed. Farrakhan inhabits some type of real estate amongst the black community that mandates  widespread support that I've had issues getting to the bottom to.

I realize he's seen as a long time outspoken civil rights advocate, but you'd figure there'd be more people calling him out for his blatant bigotry.

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1261
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism
I love how we live in an age where we get to hear and discuss Desean (and Stephen) Jackson's opinion about who the real children of Israel were. Like, you have to be kidding me, right? I understand that athletes and entertainers are given a platform on which they can make a difference, but most of them don't deserve that platform. The only thing more troubling than the majority holding down a minority is when minorities go after each other. Talk about a great way to isolate yourself.

I haven't read or watched any of the provided links in this thread - only the responses - so maybe I am out of line, but not only is this totally wacky - like, Kyrie-level wacky - but it is disgusting.

'Have to say I empathize with your take.  I am a little behind on this 'hot topic' because, well, I never paid a rat's penny to anything DeSean Jackson or Steven Jackson had to say.  This was completely off my radar until I read this thread.

FWIW:  Count me in the camp that finds what DeSean posted as ignorant, disgusting and insensitive.  And I, like many, found his apology somewhat weak and displaying continued ignorance.

I found this article, by Jemele Hill, on The Atlantic to be very thoughtful, coming from someone who made a similar (far less extreme) mistake once and fully owning up to it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/desean-jacksons-blind-spot-and-mine/614095/

I recommend reading that - she doesn't go easy on DeSean at all, but does bring some clarity on the nature of the 'blindspot' that he probably has in his world view.

Like her, I think Jackson should take up Edelman's offer to accompany him on tours of both the U.S. Holocaust Museum as well as the National Museum of African History.

Heck, we all should.  I would also add that folks should also go tour the National Museum of the American Indian.

On a related note, the first museum is opening back up this Monday, 07/20; however, it only the West Building of the National Gallery and none of the ones you listed above (I am actually quite excited about this). The Holocaust Museum is something to behold for sure; the Museum of African American History is almost impossible to get tickets for when operating normally; and the Museum of the American Indian is crickets. It's unfortunate nobody really cares about Native American culture - especially since we did kill many of them and stole their land (why this is not discussed more is beyond me). The actual museum is breathtaking - people should at least enter the building to see what it looks like inside.

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829

I didn’t choose to be black, I just got lucky! #BucketlistMoment #LoveConquersHate #GoodDefeatsEvil

?  Not sure why you posted that in a quoted-reply to my post.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

?  Not sure why you posted that in a quoted-reply to my post.

Sorry I meant to quote Vox with the picture, misclicked lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different