Author Topic: Taking down statues and monuments - righting wrongs or rewriting history?  (Read 6513 times)

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 177
You're taking one piece of hyperbole among a whole bunch of things I've said here and obfuscating my point.

Yeah, I'm telling you that was an unnecessary thing to say to make your point and describing why.

My point was that a bunch of angry modern kids who think they know everything in fact have no clue as to the hardships and complexities of the past. It tales a lot more guts to camp out in Valley Forge for months on end than it does to yank down a statue and insult people on Twitter while chugging lattes at the local cafe.

To what end does any of this serve? George Washington had no clue as the hardships and complexities the first protohumans faced trying to survive in a world with a curfew of sunset full of animals that looked at you like prey and thinking that the reason it rained extra hard the other day is because one of the forest creatures smiled at you.

Comparing eras is ridiculous. Sure kids are softer today. They're also smarter and healthier and bigger and live longer and aren't allowed to own slaves. And they have Lattes. Imagine how much better Jefferson and Hamilton would've gotten along if they had lattes and message boards to get banned from.

To what end does this comparison serve? Why is it necessary. Just talk about how great george washington is, you don't need to crap all over the 'kids of today'.

LOL yes, comparing eras is ridiculous, isn't it? that's my whole point. And if we're gong to call out ignorance on the right then we might as well call out ignorance on the left too. I don't think that's too controversial of a take on a political thread on an internet forum.

Discussion of comparing generations of children always reminds me of this quote:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates (450 BC)

LOL. So kids have always been kids!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You're taking one piece of hyperbole among a whole bunch of things I've said here and obfuscating my point.

Yeah, I'm telling you that was an unnecessary thing to say to make your point and describing why.

My point was that a bunch of angry modern kids who think they know everything in fact have no clue as to the hardships and complexities of the past. It tales a lot more guts to camp out in Valley Forge for months on end than it does to yank down a statue and insult people on Twitter while chugging lattes at the local cafe.

To what end does any of this serve? George Washington had no clue as the hardships and complexities the first protohumans faced trying to survive in a world with a curfew of sunset full of animals that looked at you like prey and thinking that the reason it rained extra hard the other day is because one of the forest creatures smiled at you.

Comparing eras is ridiculous. Sure kids are softer today. They're also smarter and healthier and bigger and live longer and aren't allowed to own slaves. And they have Lattes. Imagine how much better Jefferson and Hamilton would've gotten along if they had lattes and message boards to get banned from.

To what end does this comparison serve? Why is it necessary. Just talk about how great george washington is, you don't need to crap all over the 'kids of today'.

LOL yes, comparing eras is ridiculous, isn't it? that's my whole point. And if we're gong to call out ignorance on the right then we might as well call out ignorance on the left too. I don't think that's too controversial of a take on a political thread on an internet forum.

Discussion of comparing generations of children always reminds me of this quote:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates (450 BC)

Does a owl hoot? - Marcus Smart
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211

― Socrates (450 BC)

Most likely. But it also reminds me of this quote:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27135
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

― Socrates (450 BC)

Kids have been lazy almost as long as people have been misattributing quotations. ;)

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:17:57 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1764

― Socrates (450 BC)

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf

Hmmm maybe true --  but it's weird then that we call every tyrant from Atilla the Hun to Napoleon, to Stalin, to Mussolini, to Hitler, to Putin, Strong Men.  Some consider Trump a Strong Man.   

I'll take a "good man or woman" over either a strong or weak one.

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211

― Socrates (450 BC)

― G. Michael Hopf

Hmmm maybe true --  but it's weird then that we call every tyrant from Atilla the Hun to Napoleon, to Stalin, to Mussolini, to Hitler, to Putin, Strong Men.  Some consider Trump a Strong Man.   

I just meant the generational aspect. We hear over and over generational perspectives like this. How can it be true? Each generation can't possibly be weaker than the previous one. Perhaps there's a cyclical aspect to it.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 177

― Socrates (450 BC)

Kids have been lazy almost as long as people have been misattributing quotations. ;)

Haha, good to know. And I'd never heard of that site, so thanks for bringing awareness.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White

― Socrates (450 BC)

Hah!!  I've been using that quote (occasionally) for more than 20 years in presentations -- originally taken from folks who had (I am sure) been using it for years...    Google the "Socrates children quote" and there it is...

How disheartening -- now... does the Quote Investigator need to be investigated?

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White

― Socrates (450 BC)

― G. Michael Hopf

I just meant the generational aspect. We hear over and over generational perspectives like this. How can it be true? Each generation can't possibly be weaker than the previous one. Perhaps there's a cyclical aspect to it.

Yeah -- evolution is a strange thing, but in a sense we are always moving forward even if sometimes it seems like we're headed backward or going in a circle.  I think it's probably pretty natural that every generation has an eyeroll or 2 regarding the younger generation -- likely because children tend to be less mature than adults.  Generally, of course.

Offline tstorey_97

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 363
Can't let the mob rule. My generation went nuts too (60's) so I see the point, but, order is the only way any civilization can sustain.

If the statue is the "point", then get with the local government and have it removed.

Is "deifying" a person bad form? I assume it is as every person is flawed....probably flawed enough to get their own statue knocked down. None of this speaks well for statues so, review the bunch of them.

The discussion of the institution of slavery in the US is important. Understanding the scope of the slave trade before the Civil war is useful.

Slaves, rum (sugar) and opium were essentially, the three largest industries in the world. We live in a world ruled by money and those who control it. My point here is that "everybody" was impacted/effected/involved/complicit in the slave trade. Ships, rope, sailors, tar, provisions, cooperage, lawyers, accountants, politicians large and small, bankers, the US Navy, Army, media, farmers, the entire worldwide textile industry, sugar > molasses > rum production, distillers, glass bottles, cases, transport/distribution, the fuel for the distillers...it never ends.

Pretty much every sip of rum and stitch of clothing, worldwide was brought to you by slavery.

I had family members whom were well known abolitionists and thus, were the biggest hypocrites of all. They earned their livings up here in New England from the industries listed above.

New England was pretty much the textile capital of the world next to Britain (cotton) and made as much rum from slave made molasses as could be drunk.

Great universities, prep schools, hospitals and countless other institutions were built by the families who made money from narcotics, booze and human trafficking.

There used to be a museum called the Museum of China Trade. Years ago they realized they were glorifying the New England families that built massive empires on selling opium to Chinese. Tens if not hundreds of millions of Chinese died from a trade forced on them by the British, Dutch and Americans.

Human history is quite simply, one horror story after the next. Mankind has been consistently brutal from the start and it will continue.

This is not a Democrat or Republican issue, it should not be politicized to allow it to remain within reason. Each person in our country have a right to their voice, but, this voice is not that of the mob. In 1968, at the Democratic Convention in Chicago my generation went absolutely nuts. They brought the war here.

Many years later January 27, 1973 Richard Nixon ended the draft. An old friend of mine is dying now....from agent orange exposure in a war he was drafted to fight in.

My point:

Maintain order or read, in depth, about the French revolution. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the rule of the mob.

It feeds on itself until everyone still alive is hiding behind a locked door as, if all who must be brought to justice are hunted down? All who have sinned against another must be punished? Then there won't be anyone left...will there?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2737
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I guess what I'm saying is we should honor GW for what he did, but not pretend that 'kids today' or as your post implied, young liberals, are unaware soft babies compared to him. Sure, they are in a 1:1 context but GW would've been that same 'soft' if he were born today too. It's like saying, 'kids today don't understand anything about the sheer terror of D-Day', which is true, but you know who else didn't understand the sheer terror or D-Day, literally everyone there until they went through it. No era has a copyright to heroes or bravery. No era has a copyright on adversity or rising to the occasion. Our heroes shouldn't be heroes because we find other men and women lacking. They should be heroes because they were heroes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Destroying our statues and flags is just more of this country's historic establishment that built America into the greatest nation in human history getting down on their knees and groveling to the destructive haters in some perverted effort to feel better morally when they should be proud instead.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 786
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion
Destroying our statues and flags is just more of this country's historic establishment that built America into the greatest nation in human history getting down on their knees and groveling to the destructive haters in some perverted effort to feel better morally when they should be proud instead.
Hahahahaha

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2682

C'mon man.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

Online ozgod

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
The Washington Redskins have today announced that they will be changing their name and logo to something else, yet to be determined.

Long overdue in my opinion - "redskin" clearly is a pejorative term and it's about time it was retired.

I'm less convinced about the other names though, like Braves, Indians, Chiefs or Blackhawks...I'm not Native American but I don't think they're words that would be used to insult someone of Native American origin? Maybe Indians I could see, since they were never really Indians, it's just that Columbus thought he had reached the Indian Ocean. I wonder if we have a forum member here of Native American extraction who could weigh in.

This editor at the Washington Posts thinks that the Texas Rangers should change their name, because the original Texas Rangers were a "cruel, racist force":

What we didn’t realize at the time was that the Rangers were a cruel, racist force when it came to the nonwhites who inhabited the beautiful and untamed Texas territory. The first job of the Rangers, formed in 1835 after Texas declared independence from Mexico, was to clear the land of Indian for white settlers.

That was just the start. The Rangers oppressed black people, helping capture runaway slaves trying to escape to Mexico; in the aftermath of the Civil War, they killed free blacks with impunity. “The negroes here need killing,” a Ranger wrote in a local newspaper in 1877, after Rangers fired on a party of black former Buffalo soldiers, killing four of them and a 4-year old girl. A jury would later find that the black soldiers “came to their death while resisting officers in the discharge of their duty,” an unsettling echo of the justification for modern-day police killings.

In the early 20th century, Rangers played a key role in some of the worst episodes of racial violence in American history along the Texas-Mexico border. Mexicans were run out of their homes and subject to mass lynchings and shootings. The killings got so out of control that the federal government threatened to intervene.

In his new book, “Cult of Glory: The Bold and Brutal History of the Texas Rangers,” Doug J. Swanson writes, “In service to Anglo civilization’s slow march, they functioned as executioners. Their job was to seize and hold Texas for the white man.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/13/texas-rangers-team-name-must-go/

I honestly had no idea about their history. I just thought they were like Walker the Texas Ranger. Apparently they have a less than savory past. Is changing their name warranted, just like the Redskins?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D