Poll

What is your take on wearing a mask?

Always - I wear a mask everywhere outside of my house.
9 (22%)
Almost Always - to all indoor establishments and most outdoor ones
19 (46.3%)
Mostly - almost all indoor establishments, but try to avoid one outside when possible
11 (26.8%)
Sometimes - only when absolutely required
2 (4.9%)
Never - I will not go to any place that requires a mask
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: To mask, or not to mask? That is the question  (Read 1448 times)

Re: To mask, or not to mask? That is the question
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 04:46:17 PM »

Online jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1252
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism
If everyone did at least #3 for the next 6-12 months (till safe vaccine) and was careful to stay distanced when outside I think there’s a decent chance we would beat the virus with as little illness, death, and economic cost as possible.

Yep.  The bar and restaurant industry would take a hit, but I think it would offer the best safety vs. economy balance.

Just wear the dang thing.  It costs $2 and could help save somebody’s life and somebody’s job.

I think it's pretty much over for many bars. The sustained economic damage is just too much for them to overcome. Even with phased reopenings, nobody is actually talking about packing into a bar anytime soon. In FL (for instance), even if a bar serves food, they aren't allowed to be open unless more than 50% of their receipts comes from food sales.

Restaurants are pretending to do okay, and perhaps they can weather the storm. Like, at least they can open and cities are even opening up sidewalk space to help them spread out; but I think it depends a lot on location (how expensive is it for them to operate at a lower capacity) and also how comfortable people are going out for dinner. Even if use an arbitrary number like 20% to describe the decrease of people eating out, that has to be absolutely devastating to a restaurant, right?

Relating this back to the thread, I do find it funny that it's totally fine to be w/o masks in restaurants and (some) bars, as long as you are sitting down. That has to scare a good number of people from eating out.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27135
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
If everyone did at least #3 for the next 6-12 months (till safe vaccine) and was careful to stay distanced when outside I think there’s a decent chance we would beat the virus with as little illness, death, and economic cost as possible.

Yep.  The bar and restaurant industry would take a hit, but I think it would offer the best safety vs. economy balance.

Just wear the dang thing.  It costs $2 and could help save somebody’s life and somebody’s job.

I think it's pretty much over for many bars. The sustained economic damage is just too much for them to overcome. Even with phased reopenings, nobody is actually talking about packing into a bar anytime soon. In FL (for instance), even if a bar serves food, they aren't allowed to be open unless more than 50% of their receipts comes from food sales.

Restaurants are pretending to do okay, and perhaps they can weather the storm. Like, at least they can open and cities are even opening up sidewalk space to help them spread out; but I think it depends a lot on location (how expensive is it for them to operate at a lower capacity) and also how comfortable people are going out for dinner. Even if use an arbitrary number like 20% to describe the decrease of people eating out, that has to be absolutely devastating to a restaurant, right?

Relating this back to the thread, I do find it funny that it's totally fine to be w/o masks in restaurants and (some) bars, as long as you are sitting down. That has to scare a good number of people from eating out.

I won’t eat out.  I just don’t trust being unmasked down wind of a table of four.

We do get curbside more than usual, though.  We’re trying to help support the places we like, because if we don’t they’ll be gone forever.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 08:16:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1254
  • What a Pub Should Be
Live in a city. Always in businesses (its govt mandated here).  I also wear it in the common spaces of my apartment building.  I'm a runner.  I'll wear a buff when I'm running but usually keep it down.  It's just too uncomfortable and restrictive to wear up when running. If I do come across a group of people or even just an elderly person coming at me from the opposite direction, I'll pull it up.  Try to stay socially distanced outside. 

I've done patios a few times already but personally not ready to do indoor dining yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 08:52:11 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1477
I guess I'm somewhere in between group 2 and group 3.

Always wear a mask indoors at stores, at work, the laundromat.  Rarely wear one outdoors, but in a town of 15k residents it's easy to walk down the sidewalk and keep your distance.  I don't wear one hiking, but I've yet to come across hiking groups that don't give each others hiking groups space on the trail. Saturday I was at a bbq/fireworks at a friends.  There was 20-30 people there over the course of the afternoon/evening.  The host/cook was wearing a mask while grilling and serving, but otherwise nobody else really was except to go inside to use the bathroom (host's request - they provided masks).  People mostly kept their distance from each other and only stuck close by the people they came with. I did wear one yesterday outdoors when I was in Portsmouth down by the harbor since it was pretty crowded.  The outdoor cafes were all packed too.  Haven't been to an indoor restaurant yet.

I guess it all depends on the situation is my point.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »

Online gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211
Always indoors, never outdoors. But I'm in an area where I can keep a 30 ft or greater outdoor distance most times.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2737
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Always indoors almost never outdoors unless I stop at a food cart or near other people or something. But once I leave the store I take it off. I should probably get better.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 11:55:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2456
maybe one in 100 people here wear a mask anywhere outside .  I will if im in a group of more than 3-5 while maintaing social distance.  In doors in public always .  By myself , doing heavy chores , riding my bike , in this 90 f heat with 85-90 humidity , i d pass put with something over mouth and nose both. I try and stay far away from people as i can on my bike.  Which where i ride is 10-30 ft mostly or more , rarely less. the wind blows here strong and steady by the ocean. im not going to any parties or big gatherings anywhere period.  The grocery store or bank is close as i get to a crowd.   We do takeout pickup in parking lot.  No way are we going inside and sit .  it will be a long time maybe a year before that might happen.  i doubt i ll ever go back in a gym , thats just a nasty environment no matter what .  Spit , coughing, grunting with mouths open , huffing , puffing , sneezing , everything is about breathing and most got their mouths open all the time. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:09:32 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 02:45:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 355
  • KANSEI DORIFUTO
I live in a pretty densely populated city where it isn't possible for people to distance themselves properly, so with a potential third wave coming thanks to returnees from India and Pakistan I wouldn't dare to not wear one at all times once I step outside of the flat.
Rockets PG: Westbrook, Rivers, Clemons SG: Harden, Gordon, McLemore
SF: House, Carroll, Caboclo PF: Covington, Green, Williams
C: Tucker, Hartenstein, Bender
Warriors PG: Curry, Jackson, Bowman SG: Thompson, Lee, Poole
SF: Wiggins, Okoro, Anderson PF: Green, Paschall, MKG
C: Looney, Chriss, Smiley

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »

Online jambr380

• Danny Ainge
maybe one in 100 people here wear a mask anywhere outside .  I will if im in a group of more than 3-5 while maintaing social distance.  In doors in public always .  By myself , doing heavy chores , riding my bike , in this 90 f heat with 85-90 humidity , i d pass put with something over mouth and nose both. I try and stay far away from people as i can on my bike.  Which where i ride is 10-30 ft mostly or more , rarely less. the wind blows here strong and steady by the ocean. im not going to any parties or big gatherings anywhere period.  The grocery store or bank is close as i get to a crowd.   We do takeout pickup in parking lot.  No way are we going inside and sit .  it will be a long time maybe a year before that might happen. i doubt i ll ever go back in a gym , thats just a nasty environment no matter what .  Spit , coughing, grunting with mouths open , huffing , puffing , sneezing , everything is about breathing and most got their mouths open all the time.

I have been going to the gym a couple of times per week since they first opened back up in FL, and now in DC. At first, it was just sort-of a free for all - no masks, with machines spread out farther than they used to be (I previously mentioned how at LA Fitness they had all the bikes/cycling on the basketball court).

Now, they seem to have buckled down a bit and this has been noticeable at Planet Fitness. I put a hold on my LA Fitness membership for a while since they aren't offering any of their amenities (classes, basketball, pool, sauna, etc). At PF, everybody gets their own sanitizing bottle and is expected to clean  their machine before and after they use equipment. You can pull your mask down while you are actively lifting/exercising, but are required to have it on all other times. For cardio, this seems a little questionable as somebody could hypothetically be on the same machine for an hour or two without a mask. Re-masking in between sets on weights/machines is at least reasonable.

Anyway, I just wanted to describe my experience since I am sure many people here probably haven't been back to the gym and were probably interested in what it was like. It is noticeably far less busy than before the pandemic - even more so for me since I am able to go during off-peak times. However, I would say the more people who feel comfortable going back to the gym, the less comfortable it is going to be. I can definitely understand the perspective of not wanting to go back.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
I wear one everywhere out in public but while running. I try and maintain 10ft of distance on trails and do not see anyone using a mask on them but everywhere else I do. I tried to run with a mask and it was just too hot.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I wear one always.  I got a few Celtics-themed masks from NBA store a couple months ago.  They’re very comfortable, even in DC heat.  (Or, to put it a different way, the heat makes me want to come in before any mask discomfort does).

I must say, I’m not a fan of the runners who don’t wear them.  I got a full face exhale from one a couple of weeks ago — we were both coming around a corner and there was no way to avoid each other at our respective paces.

You have mentioned living in the suburbs and not the city, so perhaps you fall into the category of people who take a car everywhere you go. I figure most people fall into this category, so it is probably easy for people to say 'always', but walking around for hours at a time in the heat with a mask on really is borderline unbearable. Note that I am almost always in favor of an indoor mask (where you would seemingly have a much better chance of spreading/catching the virus).

Also, while I think it's important to keep a reasonable distance from people while exercising (something that particular runner did not do with you), even the WHO does not recommend a mask while exercising:

"Sweat can make the masks become wet more quickly, which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms," the WHO stated.

There is no way I am going to change my tune on that anytime soon. I generally go for about 10 mile runs and it is difficult enough just breathing through my nose/mouth - never mind a mask.

As long as one is not running close to others (like, say, jogging shoulder to shoulder for an extended stretch) and are outside, this really shouldn't be a problem. 

If you DO need to jog where you are worried you might end up close to people, it might be worthwhile buying a box of the disposable paper masks.  They are very lightweight and don't seem to impair breathing quite as much as heavier cloth masks.  They will eventually get damp if you jog with it for a long stretch, but you can just pop it on/off when you need to (let's say while passing a crowd) and then toss it in the trash after your run.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo

If we truly do lose a lot of small bars & restaurants (& salons & other 'close contact' businesses) permanently, then that will represent a pretty major failing of our society's safety nets.

This country has the excess wealth to have properly shored up these businesses (and more importantly the _people_) during a truly focused and directed effort to mitigate the virus.   But we have serious problems with wealth allocation in this country.

But that's probably a topic for another thread.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo

I won’t eat out.  I just don’t trust being unmasked down wind of a table of four.

We do get curbside more than usual, though.  We’re trying to help support the places we like, because if we don’t they’ll be gone forever.

Agreed. I think eating out in a restaurant or within breathing distance of a bunch of other people who are sans mask is just nuts.

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »

Online jambr380

• Danny Ainge
I wear one always.  I got a few Celtics-themed masks from NBA store a couple months ago.  They’re very comfortable, even in DC heat.  (Or, to put it a different way, the heat makes me want to come in before any mask discomfort does).

I must say, I’m not a fan of the runners who don’t wear them.  I got a full face exhale from one a couple of weeks ago — we were both coming around a corner and there was no way to avoid each other at our respective paces.

You have mentioned living in the suburbs and not the city, so perhaps you fall into the category of people who take a car everywhere you go. I figure most people fall into this category, so it is probably easy for people to say 'always', but walking around for hours at a time in the heat with a mask on really is borderline unbearable. Note that I am almost always in favor of an indoor mask (where you would seemingly have a much better chance of spreading/catching the virus).

Also, while I think it's important to keep a reasonable distance from people while exercising (something that particular runner did not do with you), even the WHO does not recommend a mask while exercising:

"Sweat can make the masks become wet more quickly, which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms," the WHO stated.

There is no way I am going to change my tune on that anytime soon. I generally go for about 10 mile runs and it is difficult enough just breathing through my nose/mouth - never mind a mask.

As long as one is not running close to others (like, say, jogging shoulder to shoulder for an extended stretch) and are outside, this really shouldn't be a problem. 

If you DO need to jog where you are worried you might end up close to people, it might be worthwhile buying a box of the disposable paper masks.  They are very lightweight and don't seem to impair breathing quite as much as heavier cloth masks.  They will eventually get damp if you jog with it for a long stretch, but you can just pop it on/off when you need to (let's say while passing a crowd) and then toss it in the trash after your run.

I am easily able to maintain social distancing for the vast majority of my runs. If I do encounter somebody on a sidewalk in an area by my home (the rest of my run is pretty wide open with closed down roads and such), I either step off into the street or put my shirt up over my mouth. The latter may seem like a half-hearted effort, but I am pretty sure it provides the same effect.

In relation to your first paragraph, I saw this video from Vox on YouTube a few weeks ago. I believe the science should still hold true. Basically, it goes along with what you said in that runners really don't pose much of a threat to others.

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo

I am easily able to maintain social distancing for the vast majority of my runs. If I do encounter somebody on a sidewalk in an area by my home (the rest of my run is pretty wide open with closed down roads and such), I either step off into the street or put my shirt up over my mouth. The latter may seem like a half-hearted effort, but I am pretty sure it provides the same effect.

In relation to your first paragraph, I saw this video from Vox on YouTube a few weeks ago. I believe the science should still hold true. Basically, it goes along with what you said in that runners really don't pose much of a threat to others.

That's a very useful video and I think it is spot-on.

There is a growing consensus that outside, distanced and/or masked interactions have a microscopic transmission probability compared to indoor activities (especially without distance and/or masking!).

I'm glad that they included their study showing only 1 of 318 transmission events having occurred outdoors.

The things we have to cut down on & avoid are closed-chamber interactions.  Not just being indoors eating food or drink (which includes the magnified risk of no mask on) but also things like airplanes, busses, trains, etc.   We can't just pack people in like sardines anymore just to get the maximum fare money out of each trip.