Roy's theory is that I feel this way because Trump is a Jack Ass and that if he wasn't, I would like this policy.
No, that’s not what I’m saying. I said he’d be popular, and suggested his approval numbers would be near 60%. That still leaves 40% or more who would disagree. And remember, I’m talking pre-2020.
And, we’re removing the rhetoric. So, he reads “the right things” after Charlottesville, for instance.
A booming economy (including record low unemployment and actual wage growth), tax cuts, increased border security, criminal justice reform, favorably renegotiated NAFTA, improves export deals with Europe, killed several major terrorists, has not gotten us involved in foreign wars, has gotten NATO to commit $70 billion extra to joint defense, has repaired ties with Israel, has appointed two excellent Supreme Court justices.
Without the ridiculous rhetoric, twitter rants, etc., that’s a strong record to run on.
Those are some real rose-colored glasses you've got on there Roy.
Let's break down that 'strong' record shall we?
- A booming economy (including record low unemployment and actual wage growth) --> Obama handed over a booming economy after digging the country out of the great recession. Nothing from Trump here other than corporations could now count on no new regulations or oversight of what they were doing (which is what led to the crisis in the first place thanks to reckless practices in the financial sector)
- tax cuts --> unnecessary tax cuts that have heavily favored the already-rich and corporations. the much-ballyhooed trickle down effect was non-existent. Those $1000 bonuses given out by some companies to 'share the wealth' with their employees were a scam. if the intent was to really share the wealth those one-time bonuses would have been salary raises which would carry over every year and be subject to any annual salary increase people receive. Also, this tax cut blew up the deficit. remember when Reps cared so much about cutting the deficit? yeah, not so much when their boy is running them up. only care when it comes to passing bills to help out those out of work during the pandemic -- can't just give out the money to people who need it but god forbid there be any oversight of the money that was approved so that people know where that money went.
- increased border security --> the wall's been a failure -- can't get any funding for it and he's been blocked from taking it from appropriated military spending. For a number of years prior to Trump the number of people coming into the country has been decreasing. Where's the effort to stop people overstaying their visas? that's been a well-documented method of illegals getting into the country but because the majority aren't hispanic, no muss no fuss about them apparently. Big dog whistle topic that still needs to be verified as a real issue. everyone wants people to come here legally. solution is not building a wall.
- criminal justice reform - yup, this was a good move
- favorably renegotiated NAFTA -- how so? what benefits are we now reaping exactly? hasn't stopped manufacturing jobs from leaving the country and it sure as hell isn't bringing any back
- improves export deals with Europe -- again, how so? what benefits are we reaping now?
- killed several major terrorists -- as did Bush and Obama. it's what he's supposed to be doing. actually, it's not him doing it, it's the military doing it -- just like Bush and Obama.
- has not gotten us involved in foreign wars -- Syria may not be a foreign war we're in but he made a mess of it. pulls out troops to protect oil fields and in the process leaves our allies the Kurds wide open to attack from Turkey and Russia.
- has gotten NATO to commit $70 billion extra to joint defense -- that's good but where's the corresponding drop in our defense budget? what are we getting for their increased spending? I have no issue with getting more financial input from allies but that was supposedly going to help us reign in our defense budget but hasn't. Also managed to pretty much tick off all our allies while making buddies with our enemies
- has repaired ties with Israel -- moved the embassy which made them happy but doesn't hold them accountable for how they treat Palestinians. All for strong relations with Israel but there's got to be work towards a real peace in the Middle East and not a bulldozing of all their opposition without human rights considerations.
- has appointed two excellent Supreme Court justices -- appointed one seat unconscionably stolen from Obama by Mcconnell and appointed another guy with a questionable past. not a win. I also prefer my Supreme Court to be more liberal since that tends to better protect people's rights as do the majority of Americans.
Overall, a pretty weak record.
Let's not overlook his other 'accomplishments' which you've omitted:
- He colluded with Russia to win the 2016 election. he may not have gone to them first for help but he openly accepted it once he knew what they were doing. How can anyone find that acceptable?
- He tried extorting Ukraine to manufacture dirt on Biden to try to win the 2020 election, Again, how can anyone find that acceptable?
- He's now been exposed as courting China for help in winning the 2020 election. How's that acceptable?
- The trade tariffs with China have significantly hurt the farming industry yet he's trying to buy their votes by trying to get massive financial relief for farmers which are a significant part of his base. Sure, China's getting away with stealing patented material and intellectual properties that need to be dealt with but it's been exposed that his primary (sole) concern is getting a deal to make him look good for reelection, not helping the American public.
- The backing out of the Paris accords. Why? Finally, the world comes together to recognize the need to address climate change and the health of the planet and he drops out. Big, big black eye for this country.
- Backing out of the Iran deal. Why? Every other intelligence source, including our own intelligence sources, said Iran was sticking to the deal. No one other than Trump has said they aren't. What was the point of giving Iran the excuse to now go back to developing nuclear capabilities? if there was anyone else with credibility saying Iran was not sticking to the deal, especially in our intelligence agencies, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Trump on it but that wasn't the case.
- Pandemic response has been a complete disaster. If ever there was a situation that called for national leadership, this was it. The country needed a coordinated effort to address the PPE shortages, the testing shortages, the equipment shortages, the medical staff shortages, etc.... There's been NO national leadership on this from an elected official. NONE. Fauci and Birx are the only ones stepping up on the national stage to try to help people know what they need to do to get through this. Trump's punted to the Governors and Mayors for any resolutions and handling of the problems but once the economy started tanking, he was all about having the authority to force everything open. Now he's just not even acknowledging there's an ongoing pandemic that's growing more out of control every day thanks to his pressuring of governors to open the economy.
- Racial protests - he's been producing racist commentary and support since taking office and it's become more open as he nears election day. screams law and order but willfully ignores what's causing the protests in the first place. Rioting just draws threats of military violences from him. no practical solutions. At least he did put out an exec order with some of the good ideas that have come out of this disaster but how's that going to be put into practice? Where's the real plan to deal with the causes of police misusing their authority? it's not something I would have seen as a POTUS responsibility under normal circumstances but considering the significance of the protests, this is at a national level in terms of recognizing the issues and crafting a way forward that benefits everyone. instead, he's harping on the 'defund' phrasing to turn people against each other instead of focusing on the idea of rethinking what the police should be handling as opposed to having a different agency handling a situation.
- Bounties on US military -- another issue now exposed that he says he knew nothing about yet has been confirmed by several sources as being in his daily briefing materials. what kind of jackass doesn't inform himself of what's going on with what he's charged with managing? hell, playing devil's advocate and say he legitimately didn't know -- where's the response now? he knows now, what's he saying or doing about it regarding Russia? not a [dang] thing. Thought Reps promoted themselves as the party that supported the military? Not so much as wagging his finger at his idol Putin. disgraceful.
There's other issues obviously but if you're thinking the majority would support Trump based on what he's done if he just got off twitter and refrained from ranting, you'd be mistaken.