Author Topic: Trump not running?  (Read 3059 times)

Re: Trump not running?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I don’t think it will happen.

If it did, the Republicans could nominate anybody at their nominating committee, I believe. I think they’d get together and either promote Pence, or one of the “old guard” folks who isn’t necessarily seen as a rising star.
Would they dare nominate Mitt?

If they did, I think it would be to do a sharp reset.  He or Jeb are the guys I think of most as from the old guard; they’re clear anti-Trumpers with conservative credentials.  Neither would likely win, but they might be enough to hold onto the Senate while giving the GOP a chance to recover for 2024.

The big issue would still be Trump.  He’d actively campaign against Mitt or Jeb.

The unifier candidate who might make a fantastic President is Nikki Haley.  She can bridge every part of the party except the overt racists.  If she had a full campaign cycle to run on, she would be the clear choice to me.  Female, daughter of immigrants, executive and international experience, articulate, attractive, conservative but not crazy, showed leadership on the confederate flag and at the UN, appeals to Trumpers and suburban moms.

The GOP should go with an all-South Carolina ticket in 2024.  Haley / Tim Scott.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 759

If it did, the Republicans could nominate anybody at their nominating committee, I believe. I think they’d get together and either promote Pence, or one of the “old guard” folks who isn’t necessarily seen as a rising star.

Romney would beat Biden in a landslide and Republicans would get to keep power. I would easily vote for Romney.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151

If they did, I think it would be to do a sharp reset.  He or Jeb are the guys I think of most as from the old guard; they’re clear anti-Trumpers with conservative credentials.  Neither would likely win, but they might be enough to hold onto the Senate while giving the GOP a chance to recover for 2024.

The big issue would still be Trump.  He’d actively campaign against Mitt or Jeb.

The unifier candidate who might make a fantastic President is Nikki Haley.  She can bridge every part of the party except the overt racists.  If she had a full campaign cycle to run on, she would be the clear choice to me.  Female, daughter of immigrants, executive and international experience, articulate, attractive, conservative but not crazy, showed leadership on the confederate flag and at the UN, appeals to Trumpers and suburban moms.

The GOP should go with an all-South Carolina ticket in 2024.  Haley / Tim Scott.
OK was just wondering what you thought about Mitt. As an independent voter I think Mitt would beat Biden. And what do you mean by a sharp reset? I remember the majority of the Republican party was anti Trump before Trump pull away in primaries. I always felt most are just supporting Trump as he was the party nominee and now president for the party.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

OK was just wondering what you thought about Mitt. As an independent voter I think Mitt would beat Biden. And what do you mean by a sharp reset? I remember the majority of the Republican party was anti Trump before Trump pull away in primaries. I always felt most are just supporting Trump as he was the party nominee and now president for the party.

In terms of “sharp reset”, I think that Mitt would openly reject Trumpism.  There has been a drift away from conservative values toward populism.  Mitt would course-correct that drift to a return to more classicly Republican values.

The wild thing is, I think if Trump had any control over his ego, he’d be considered an excellent president, at least up until 2020.  If he had stayed off twitter and not made inflammatory statements, he’d have a lot of domestic and foreign policy success.  Policy-wise, I think that an argument can be made but he has been the most effective president since Clinton.

What a lot of conservatives don’t like about Mitt is that he’s cautious and not a fighter.  I don’t think he’d peal off too many Democrat voters, and he wouldn’t bring GOP voters to the polls as aggressively as needed.  That’s why he wouldn’t win.  As an actual President, though, I think he’d be pragmatic and would attempt to unite the country, and I think he’d be a good President that 60% of the country could be happy with.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 10:16:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1751

I like Tim Scott.  Seems like an honorable man.  Nikki has good experience and could be a palatable candidate for me even though I am a left-leaning person.  But Mitt is the only one of the three to come out in opposition to Trump. Mitt stands up. Haley doesn't. She stays loyal.  Scott knows how flawed Trump is, but he holds his tongue (I give him a little credit for calling out the White Power retweet, but that's not enough).  These people need to take a stand. It's becoming shameful for them to stay quiet.  Eventually, those who feared Joe McCarthy and kept their mouths shut ended up on the wrong side of history -- eventually, it became hard to deny.  Nikki may be a qualified candidate otherwise, but she doesn't deserve respect if she continues to support this president.  Cowards are these supposed ethical politicians who don't stand up to this dangerous man.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 10:25:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2673
As a (mostly) life long Moderate Dem I'd hesitate to cast my lot with the Republican Party right now....

From "MY" perspective as an African American whatever in-roads were made over the years as far as Race relations and Republicans have been obliterated....destroyed....demolished......under Pres. Trump.

To try and perform Delicate Surgery? And remove Trump from the Republican Party? No surgeon alive can do this right now........

He is the Face of the Republican Party - plain and simple. This isn't changing if he steps aside in the near future....won't change even IF he loses in November.......it will take time.

Tim Scott has had to do TOO MUCH heavy lifting lately......and they've dusted off Dr. Ben Carson WAAAAAYYYY too late in the game.....

I've seen more of both of these Gentleman over the last few weeks than I have the last few YEARS.............

Not good....not a good way to build trust and equity.

There has been TOO MUCH SILENCE....too much pandering....too little done...for ME to trust the Republican Party RIGHT NOW - and perhaps for the next few years.

I personally don't care WHO they switch out right now - in the event that Pres. Trump unexpectedly steps aside.

Too much damage.

There needs to be MORE of a thorough HOUSE CLEANING of the Republican Party than just Pres. Trump.....the ENTIRE house ain't dirty but BOY if you walk in the front door and see a hot mess then you unfortunately won't EVER see the CLEAN rooms........
Augustus Freeman IV is AWESOME. Read Milestone Comics.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I like Tim Scott.  Seems like an honorable man.  Nikki has good experience and could be a palatable candidate for me even though I am a left-leaning person.  But Mitt is the only one of the three to come out in opposition to Trump. Mitt stands up. Haley doesn't. She stays loyal.  Scott knows how flawed Trump is, but he holds his tongue (I give him a little credit for calling out the White Power retweet, but that's not enough).  These people need to take a stand. It's becoming shameful for them to stay quiet.  Eventually, those who feared Joe McCarthy and kept their mouths shut ended up on the wrong side of history -- eventually, it became hard to deny.  Nikki may be a qualified candidate otherwise, but she doesn't deserve respect if she continues to support this president.  Cowards are these supposed ethical politicians who don't stand up to this dangerous man.

Haley has criticized Trump multiple times, but she’s not going to advocate impeachment.  It’s political suicide for anybody with further ambitions.  That puts her in the same class as pretty much every other politician, for better or for worse.

Some of her Trump criticisms:

Nikki Haley gave the Republican Party's response to President Barack Obama's final State of the Union address on Tuesday, and her speech included implied criticism of Donald Trump. "During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices," Haley said. "We must resist that temptation. No one who is willing to work hard, abide by our laws and love our traditions should ever feel unwelcome in this country." In an interview with NBC's "Today" on Wednesday, Haley specified that Trump, the current front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, was one of the "angriest voices" that she condemned.

President Trump on Friday morning gloated that the Baltimore home of House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) had been burglarized. Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor who in December stepped down as Trump’s U.N. ambassador, did not approve. “This is so unnecessary,” she tweeted, along with a rolling-eyes emoiji.

She was also highly critical of Russia and Syria at the United Nations, even when the administration seemed to be overly soft.

No doubt she could have been even more vocal, but her answer to that is that the American people elected Trump, and that he should be given latitude to implement his agenda.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 11:21:18 PM »

Online slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9340

Haley has criticized Trump multiple times, but she’s not going to advocate impeachment.  It’s political suicide for anybody with further ambitions.  That puts her in the same class as pretty much every other politician, for better or for worse.

Some of her Trump criticisms:

Nikki Haley gave the Republican Party's response to President Barack Obama's final State of the Union address on Tuesday, and her speech included implied criticism of Donald Trump. "During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices," Haley said. "We must resist that temptation. No one who is willing to work hard, abide by our laws and love our traditions should ever feel unwelcome in this country." In an interview with NBC's "Today" on Wednesday, Haley specified that Trump, the current front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, was one of the "angriest voices" that she condemned.

President Trump on Friday morning gloated that the Baltimore home of House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) had been burglarized. Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor who in December stepped down as Trump’s U.N. ambassador, did not approve. “This is so unnecessary,” she tweeted, along with a rolling-eyes emoiji.

She was also highly critical of Russia and Syria at the United Nations, even when the administration seemed to be overly soft.

No doubt she could have been even more vocal, but her answer to that is that the American people elected Trump, and that he should be given latitude to implement his agenda.
whoa, that's hot stuff there Roy.  if she were any more critical, she might use the word "darn".

That's not even close to critical of Trump.  That's the equivalent of wagging her finger at him. 

Romney's been the closest person in the Rep party to someone who's come out against Trump in any real manner.

I'm not sure there's anyone the Reps can put up in this election that would win.  Trump, even if he left now to give the Reps time to reform their party/nominee, has left such a stain upon the party I don't think anything can remove it in this election and possibly the next.

having said that, knowing the Dems they'd find a way to shoot themselves in the foot and hand the election to whomever the Reps would nominate.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 08:06:46 AM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 207
All we need to do is have the media call him out and say he doesn't have the guts to pull such an unprecedented move. He'll resign via Twitter that morning.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 412
The wild thing is, I think if Trump had any control over his ego, he’d be considered an excellent president, at least up until 2020.  If he had stayed off twitter and not made inflammatory statements, he’d have a lot of domestic and foreign policy success.  Policy-wise, I think that an argument can be made but he has been the most effective president since Clinton.

You certainly have every right to your own opinion but I do not believe it is possible to conclude that "he would be considered an excellent president" by anyone else besides yourself.  In fact I think it is far more likely that he goes down as the most corrupt (abuse of power) and criminal president ever, once all the dust settles on investigations that are going on.

And foreign policy success?  That is a pretty wild notion.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:49:17 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 818
I see zero chance that Trump would withdraw from running.

The moment he steps down from the Office he becomes a potential target for Federal indictment.   Especially if a Dem wins the office and even potentially if a hypothetical Mitt were to run & win. 

He is 74 years old.  If he wins the office again, he will continue to be protected from Federal indictment until he is 79 1/2 years old, at which point if he's still alive there will be little incentive to prosecute a man that old - especially since any such case could take years to play out in court before conviction.

Basically, winning this election keeps him out of Federal prison for at least into his early-mid 80s if not for the rest of his life.

So he's not going to 'step down' and he's going to do anything he can to get re-elected.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2736
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If Trump didn't run that's effectively passing on this election cycle. Just not enough time.

But Trump's numbers are extremely bad, unless he sees a major change with women, it's not likely he has a real shot. And he doesn't ever admit he's wrong, let alone admit to losing an honest race. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd rather not run, but that's how insane Trump is. I wouldn't be surprised if he sprouted bat wings and shed his human suit and told us he was Shabbith-Ka, harbinger of the coming of the Great Old Ones. Trump is crazy and 2020 is the year of the 'I wouldn't be surprised if...'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 827

You certainly have every right to your own opinion but I do not believe it is possible to conclude that "he would be considered an excellent president" by anyone else besides yourself.  In fact I think it is far more likely that he goes down as the most corrupt (abuse of power) and criminal president ever, once all the dust settles on investigations that are going on.

And foreign policy success?  That is a pretty wild notion.
TP

I guess if you consider emboldening despots abroad and shredding the Constitution at home  successes then, yes, he has been a massive success. He has also been effective at destabilizing our military alliances, spreading COVID, ballooning the national debt, and putting us on the verge of a default crisis while millions are out of work.

But yeah, if he would just stop tweeting everything would be fine. BTW did you know that Finland is a part of Russia?

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 827
I see zero chance that Trump would withdraw from running.

The moment he steps down from the Office he becomes a potential target for Federal indictment.   Especially if a Dem wins the office and even potentially if a hypothetical Mitt were to run & win. 

He is 74 years old.  If he wins the office again, he will continue to be protected from Federal indictment until he is 79 1/2 years old, at which point if he's still alive there will be little incentive to prosecute a man that old - especially since any such case could take years to play out in court before conviction.

Basically, winning this election keeps him out of Federal prison for at least into his early-mid 80s if not for the rest of his life.

So he's not going to 'step down' and he's going to do anything he can to get re-elected.

You summed it up nicely. This election is basically his trial. He and his cronies are going down once the DOJ changes hands.

It makes for a dangerous situation.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1251
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's zero chance that if (or, more likely, when) Trump loses this election, that he doesn't cry foul about voter fraud, conspiracy, or interference on why he lost the election.  He won't accept a clean loss. 

Also fearful of what a lame duck Trump would try do to those last couple of months.

Fun times ahead!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team