Author Topic: The Ignored And Forgotten Lives That Still Matter: Urban Crime  (Read 6360 times)

Re: The Ignored And Forgotten Lives That Still Matter: Urban Crime
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27097
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
And, GF, as for how we prevent these things...

According to the Wilson Times, Sessoms was previously convicted of felony larceny of firearms in Wilson County in March 2016, misdemeanor maintaining a place for a controlled substance in Wake County in April 2016 and felony marijuana possession in Nash County in November 2016.

Two felony convictions in the last 3 1/2 years? This animal should have been behind bars.  His right to own a firearm was already revoked, so there is little that gun control would have done in the short term. I do wonder why a probation officer hadn’t searched and researched his home.

We need more police. We need more probation officers. And we need more prisons. We also need to streamline the death penalty, so that we can euthanize some of these beasts masquerading as humans.  Monsters like Dylan Roof should be rotting in hell, and this guy should be right behind him.

So interesting your post, here...and I don't mean it in a BAD way.

Wasn't (Isn't?) Mrs. Harris experienced on Crime? At one even said to be TOUGH on it? She has NEVER - to my knowledge - spoke about defunding ANYTHING.....neither has Biden.

But yet Trump (and many on the Right, it seems) are painting them as soft on crime....anti-police.

When will it END, Roy?

When will politicians stop mischaracterizing each other?  Sadly, never.

If Harris and Biden run on a strong law and order platform while advocating reform related to brutality and misconduct, I will support that prong of their platform.

support that prong?  meaningless unless that means your vote as well in this election.

Do you know, slam, when we talk about divisiveness in this country, people like you are a large part of the problem.  If I’m being honest, probably the largest problem.

If a Republican supports some, but not all, of a Democrat’s positions, you describe it as meaningless.  Instead of people having individual opinions on individual topics, you box them into this all or nothing approach.  Why?

Maybe if we could use a commonsense approach to issues, where broad agreement could be reached, we wouldn’t have all the problems that we have. However, voters like you will make sure that the partisan divide remains. And yet, you’re the “independent”.

It is, in fact, possible for Republicans and Democrats to agree upon issues of law and order. Not every Democrat has to be in favor of the slow genocide of those people living in the inner city, or rioters, arsonists and terrorists burning our urban centers to the ground, for instance.  Not every Republican owns 47 machine guns and has a statue of Robert E Lee erected in their backyard.

The fact that you come into a conversation about the cold-blooded murder of a five-year-old child and first, start looking for justifications, and second turn it into an anti-Trump thing speaks volumes about where you are coming from.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:53:55 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2020, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9377

According to the Wilson Times, Sessoms was previously convicted of felony larceny of firearms in Wilson County in March 2016, misdemeanor maintaining a place for a controlled substance in Wake County in April 2016 and felony marijuana possession in Nash County in November 2016.

Two felony convictions in the last 3 1/2 years? This animal should have been behind bars.  His right to own a firearm was already revoked, so there is little that gun control would have done in the short term. I do wonder why a probation officer hadn’t searched and researched his home.

We need more police. We need more probation officers. And we need more prisons. We also need to streamline the death penalty, so that we can euthanize some of these beasts masquerading as humans.  Monsters like Dylan Roof should be rotting in hell, and this guy should be right behind him.

Wasn't (Isn't?) Mrs. Harris experienced on Crime? At one even said to be TOUGH on it? She has NEVER - to my knowledge - spoke about defunding ANYTHING.....neither has Biden.

But yet Trump (and many on the Right, it seems) are painting them as soft on crime....anti-police.

When will it END, Roy?

If Harris and Biden run on a strong law and order platform while advocating reform related to brutality and misconduct, I will support that prong of their platform.

support that prong?  meaningless unless that means your vote as well in this election.

Do you know, slam, when we talk about divisiveness in this country, people like you are a large part of the problem.  If I’m being honest, probably the largest problem.

If a Republican supports some, but not all, of a Democrat’s positions, you describe it as meaningless.  Instead of people having individual opinions on individual topics, you box them into this all or nothing approach.  Why?

Maybe if we could use a commonsense approach to issues, where broad agreement could be reached, we wouldn’t have all the problems that we have. However, voters like you will make sure that the partisan divide remains. And yet, you’re the “independent”.

It is, in fact, possible for Republicans and Democrats to agree upon issues of law and order. Not every Democrat has to be in favor of the slow genocide of those people living in the inner city, or rioters, arsonists and terrorists burning our urban centers to the ground, for instance.  Not every Republican owns 47 machine guns and has a statue of Robert E Lee erected in their backyard.

The fact that you come into a conversation about the cold-blooded murder of a five-year-old child and first, start looking for justifications, and second turn it into an anti-Trump thing speaks volumes about where you are coming from.
wow Roy, you are just so off the mark all the way around on this.  you love to label everyone who disagrees with you as 'the problem'.  to me, that make you 'the biggest problem' because you refuse to think about voting for a Dem even when it's in the best interests of the country -- not that this thread or my response has anything to do with Trump (except in your mind where you make that leap). 

My point is that unless you become willing to vote for someone who will address the problem, supporting a position isn't going to do much.  You and I have had a few exchanges about our opinions on gun reform and we're very much in line with each other.  This is really one issue we'd like to see similar changes enacted but that's not going to happen as long as the NRA has its hooks into the Rep party.  (by no means are the Dems free from NRA money but there's more of them that are open to discussing reform than Reps by quite a bit). 

Also, and not the smallest point, NOWHERE, I REPEAT NOWHERE, did I say what happened had any justification.  just you once again pushing your narrative of animosity towards someone questioning what caused this.  I clearly stated this guy is going to pay and should but what I want to know is what triggered it.  What he did was inexcusable regardless of the cause but I think in order for someone to reach the point of taking this action, something had to trigger him.   Was this a dispute with the neighbor that was so bad he thought killing the kid was suitable retribution?  Was this a case of mental illness?  was it something else?   Something this horrific requires answers to better understand the cause in the hopes it can be prevented from happening to another kid in the future.   just saying he's a monster and needs to pay the ultimate price isn't sufficient.

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

When will it END, Roy?

wow Roy, you are just so off the mark all the way around on this.  you love to label everyone who disagrees with you as 'the problem'.  to me, that make you 'the biggest problem' because you refuse to think about voting for a Dem even when it's in the best interests of the country -- not that this thread or my response has anything to do with Trump (except in your mind where you make that leap). 

My point is that unless you become willing to vote for someone who will address the problem, supporting a position isn't going to do much.  You and I have had a few exchanges about our opinions on gun reform and we're very much in line with each other.  This is really one issue we'd like to see similar changes enacted but that's not going to happen as long as the NRA has its hooks into the Rep party.  (by no means are the Dems free from NRA money but there's more of them that are open to discussing reform than Reps by quite a bit). 

Also, and not the smallest point, NOWHERE, I REPEAT NOWHERE, did I say what happened had any justification.  just you once again pushing your narrative of animosity towards someone questioning what caused this.  I clearly stated this guy is going to pay and should but what I want to know is what triggered it.  What he did was inexcusable regardless of the cause but I think in order for someone to reach the point of taking this action, something had to trigger him.   Was this a dispute with the neighbor that was so bad he thought killing the kid was suitable retribution?  Was this a case of mental illness?  was it something else?   Something this horrific requires answers to better understand the cause in the hopes it can be prevented from happening to another kid in the future.   just saying he's a monster and needs to pay the ultimate price isn't sufficient.

I vote for who I think is the best candidate who best supports my priorities.  However, to be told that my positions are meaningless if I cross party lines or support a bipartisan effort in certain areas is profoundly off-base.

What prongs of trumps platform do you support? Can you think of any? Or have you been brainwashed into following a strict party line agenda?

just saying he's a monster and needs to pay the ultimate price isn't sufficient.

It’s plenty sufficient, because that’s the truth of it. Why do rapists rape? Why do serial killers kill? We live in an age where we want all of our villains to have an origin story, but sometimes people just enjoy being evil.  There’s no reason for killing a five-year-old child. Mental illness doesn’t explain it, revenge doesn’t explain it, hatred doesn’t explain it. It’s just evil. Bad people doing bad things.

Sometimes a thief steals for food. Other times, it is simply because they enjoy stealing. It should be no surprise, then, that’s some killers kill for no other reason than they like killing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:40:35 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2742
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/new-york-teen-burned-death/index.html

So much callousness towards human life.

I sometimes wonder if we’re not overdue for another comet that wipes out 90% of the life on Earth.  We need a reset.

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 449

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/new-york-teen-burned-death/index.html

So much callousness towards human life.

I sometimes wonder if we’re not overdue for another comet that wipes out 90% of the life on Earth.  We need a reset.
Yes there are still incidents like these but overall things are a lot better than they used to be.  Everyone just focuses way too much on the negative. 

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2020, 01:00:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 831

I'm not sure that 'more' prisons is really the solution.   We have over 2.1 million people incarcerated right now in this country - the largest prison population in the world.  Near ~.7% of the population.  We have by percentage and population, more people imprisoned than any other large country in the world.  That includes countries that have vastly larger populations than we do!

The prison population is over 34% black.   Yet blacks make up just 13% of the general population.

The prison system in the US exists as the 'loophole' in the 13th amendment:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

I do not disagree with your outrage over the heinous nature of this particular crime.  I concur that the individual needs to be held accountable.  But that needs to be exercised by a better criminal justice system, not necessarily a bigger one.

On the subject of coverage of the story, I can't help but think about the difference in national coverage over the death / kidnapping of say, a random black or indigenous child compared to say, a little blond white girl.

Seriously, the number of Native American women & girls who have gone missing or murdered is a horrid crisis that no national news network covers.   Where is Fox' coverage of that?  Or the many missing black children?   Over 33% of all missing children are black.  Yet we never get national news coverage of their cases.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2020, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure that 'more' prisons is really the solution.   We have over 2.1 million people incarcerated right now in this country - the largest prison population in the world.  Near ~.7% of the population.  We have by percentage and population, more people imprisoned than any other large country in the world.  That includes countries that have vastly larger populations than we do!

The prison population is over 34% black.   Yet blacks make up just 13% of the general population.

The prison system in the US exists as the 'loophole' in the 13th amendment:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

I do not disagree with your outrage over the heinous nature of this particular crime.  I concur that the individual needs to be held accountable.  But that needs to be exercised by a better criminal justice system, not necessarily a bigger one.

On the subject of coverage of the story, I can't help but think about the difference in national coverage over the death / kidnapping of say, a random black or indigenous child compared to say, a little blond white girl.

Seriously, the number of Native American women & girls who have gone missing or murdered is a horrid crisis that no national news network covers.   Where is Fox' coverage of that?  Or the many missing black children?   Over 33% of all missing children are black.  Yet we never get national news coverage of their cases.

People are still committing felonies. I don’t think the answer is to lower the penalties for bad ax. Rather, I think it is to incapacitate as many people as possible from further committing heinous crimes.

This guy was running a drug house and stealing guns. If he had been handled properly, he would be out murdering anybody.

I don’t disagree that some people who are in prison do not belong to be there. Possession of a very nominal amount of drugs, petty theft with amplified sentences due to priors, etc. Realistically, before building new prisons there should be a shuffling around of folks who are there and don’t need to be versus people who are not there and should be. 

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2020, 08:16:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A three-year-old girl and her father have died after they were tragically gunned down while playing inside the girl's Frozen dollhouse in a Kentucky home late last week.

Brandon Waddles, 21, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after police arrived at the 3700 block of Kahlert Avenue in Louisville, just after 1pm on Friday.

Waddles’ daughter, Trinity Randolph, was taken by officers to Kosair Chidren’s Hospital but later died from her injuries.

Both of the victims suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the suspected drive-by shooting, Louisville Police said.

A three year old girl playing Frozen.  And yet, it’s politically toxic right now to talk about cracking down on inner city violence (for both Republicans and Democrats).

George Floyd was a tragedy, but I think we’ve lost sight of why his death mattered to so many.  Blacks didn’t want to feel like targets or second class citizens.  And yet, by doing nothing or “defunding police”, even more innocent people will die, and nobody has the courage to sincerely take this on.

I’ve focused on kids in this thread, because that hits close to home and by nature they’re innocent.  But there are thousands of innocents who get shot every year in large part because violent men (and sometimes women) think that the way to resolve issues is through a gun.

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 831
A three-year-old girl and her father have died after they were tragically gunned down while playing inside the girl's Frozen dollhouse in a Kentucky home late last week.

Brandon Waddles, 21, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after police arrived at the 3700 block of Kahlert Avenue in Louisville, just after 1pm on Friday.

Waddles’ daughter, Trinity Randolph, was taken by officers to Kosair Chidren’s Hospital but later died from her injuries.

Both of the victims suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the suspected drive-by shooting, Louisville Police said.

A three year old girl playing Frozen.  And yet, it’s politically toxic right now to talk about cracking down on inner city violence (for both Republicans and Democrats).

George Floyd was a tragedy, but I think we’ve lost sight of why his death mattered to so many.  Blacks didn’t want to feel like targets or second class citizens.  And yet, by doing nothing or “defunding police”, even more innocent people will die, and nobody has the courage to sincerely take this on.

I’ve focused on kids in this thread, because that hits close to home and by nature they’re innocent.  But there are thousands of innocents who get shot every year in large part because violent men (and sometimes women) think that the way to resolve issues is through a gun.

We, quite simply, have way, WAY too many guns floating about in our society.  Push button death is too easily accessible.    Yet discussions on how to reduce / mitigate that is one of the most politically charged ('toxic') discussions.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2020, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2742

We, quite simply, have way, WAY too many guns floating about in our society.  Push button death is too easily accessible.    Yet discussions on how to reduce / mitigate that is one of the most politically charged ('toxic') discussions.

That is why I've given up.

Too many variables....excuses..out there.

In the small child's TRAGIC case that Roy posted a few days ago the two families SEEMINGLY knew one another...had even recently sat on the porch having a beer together?

So does Mental Health fall into play here?

Race is an undercurrent but it does NOT seemingly be the main cog driving it.

In the RECENT tragedy Roy posted was there any undercurrents here?

Drug deal gone bad? Mental health? Gang related? Old score to settle?
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 330

Yup.  A society has to choose...and cannot have it both ways.  You can be a violent society with no guns (let's say very strict gun control), or you can be a peaceful society that allows lots of freedom to own guns.  But you cannot be a violent society that allows easy access to guns.  That's what we are at the moment.  We are a violent society allowing easy access to the best killing machines.

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A South Carolina college student and her stepfather were shot dead on the front lawn Monday in a road rage-related attack after a minor fender bender in the driveway.
Laura Ashley Anderson, 21, and Charles Nicholas Wall, 45, were killed outside a home in Georgetown, S.C., which was recently purchased by Anderson, where she expected to begin her new adult life.
Ty Sheem Walters III, 23, allegedly rear-ended Wall as he turned into the driveway of the home near the intersection of Indian Hut Road and Highmarket Street, just off of U.S. 521, around 5 p.m., according to the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office. He then allegedly got out of the vehicle and shot Wall, Anderson, and another person, WPDE reported.

No boycotts here, though.

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion
A South Carolina college student and her stepfather were shot dead on the front lawn Monday in a road rage-related attack after a minor fender bender in the driveway.
Laura Ashley Anderson, 21, and Charles Nicholas Wall, 45, were killed outside a home in Georgetown, S.C., which was recently purchased by Anderson, where she expected to begin her new adult life.
Ty Sheem Walters III, 23, allegedly rear-ended Wall as he turned into the driveway of the home near the intersection of Indian Hut Road and Highmarket Street, just off of U.S. 521, around 5 p.m., according to the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office. He then allegedly got out of the vehicle and shot Wall, Anderson, and another person, WPDE reported.

Probably because this is a symptom of the US gun problem, not its police brutality problem.

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Probably because this is a symptom of the US gun problem, not its police brutality problem.

Yep.  The media and leftists value the lives of felons over innocents.