Author Topic: The Ignored And Forgotten Lives That Still Matter: Urban Crime  (Read 3390 times)

Re: The Ignored And Forgotten Lives That Still Matter: Urban Crime
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 334
The thing that sucks about this thread to me is that it can't exist in a vacuum. Those who would want to distract or diminish the systemic racism and violence against minorities by police officers all over the country often bring up violence done by minorities to other minorities as some kind of "what about that" to shift the conversation. And that sucks, and it's disingenuous and wrong.

But that doesn't mean the violence isn't happening, and it doesn't mean people are any closer to a long-term solution or a short-term solution for it. In Atlanta over the weekend 14 people were shot in the same area Rayshard Brooks was murdered by police. Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms had a lot to say on it. Some pieces:

"It has to stop. You can't blame this on police officers. It's about people who shot a baby in a car. We're doing each other more harm than any officer on this force."

"With the Civil Rights Movement there was a defined common enemy. Now it's the enemy within we're fighting. Police reform is a part of this, but we also have to reform our communities."

I don't know, it's terrible. I hope it's not used as a reason to not move forward with police reform, because I believe the way police interact with these communities is a significant contributor to the violence. But yeah, it is an ignored aspect of our society. Conservatives bring it up because it is a convenient shield to hide behind when they have to talk about things like gun rights or the systemic built in racism of police organizations across America. Democrats don't really talk much about it unless they're talking about gun violence because they don't seem to have the answers either, or if they do, they aren't willing to take the steps to enact them.

Hopefully we'll get there.

The ironic part is police brutality and inner city violence are in many ways symptoms of the same problem. Systemic racism.

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2677
Not to hijack the thread....

GreenFaith, what new name for the Skins has your vote?

Hey Burgundy and Gold Brother -

I am a bit shocked that our team is FINALLY going through with this...and it appears as if our new coach is at the helm which I'm proud of.

My vote would be The Washington Red Tails - after the Tuskegee Airman.

But I've seen 2 or three others that would suit the team just fine.

The funny thing is that after reading some Twitter comments on this there ARE some fans that STILL want to somehow KEEP the heritage of the Redskins somehow - without the name, of course.

I honestly don't see how that could be done, TBH....once this name goes away I have no idea of ANY "Safe" name that could be used in place of the Redskins but YET still honor Native Americans.....

Anyways here's hoping that this lifts a curse from the team, LOL......if not we can always watch our Celtics Brothers and Sisters here on the blog writhe in pain from Cam Newton...supposedly, he is getting tired of the "Humble" talk already...

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-qb-cam-newton-i-m-getting-tired-of-being-humble

"I'm getting tired of being humble now," Newton exclaimed.

"I'm really a killa. I'm really a killa," he said. "You hear me? I'm getting tired of all this humble s----. Because, when you're humble, they start taking advantage of you. When you don't say nothing, they start taking advantage of you. But the hyenas can be doing all of this, the elephants can be doing all of what they do, the giraffes, the antelopes, the chimpanzees, even the gorilla. But there's one (expletive) animal in the jungle and when he roars, everything stops. And I'm about to (expletive) roar."

I'd guess that as long as New England WINS I'm sure Cam can roar, yell, scream - whatever - in NE. But if the LOSING starts then I'll be doing this

"IF" things go south in WAS I'll have a distraction. Thankfully I don't think they will, anymore.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
At first, I questioned Roy's motives for starting such a thread at this point in time.

Not anymore.

The Gun Violence in Black Communities especially is - IMO - the SILENT sin. We see it but are NOT supposed to talk about it OR criticize one another over it.

If you DO and you're Black - you're called a sellout. But the FEAR is REAL....

I not only have to tell my sons to mind their manners around Police BUT I also have to tell my sons to be aware of their surroundings when they're OUT in public with their FRIENDS..................

I was watching "Revolt" channel on our Cable (Verizon) last week. This was - admittedly - the FIRST time I've viewed the channel. I watch an hour episode of Eboni K. Williams talk about Black issues and her topic last week was Domestic Violence in the Black community - and she was specifically talking about within the Hip Hop / Rap community....

I don't see these kinds of discussions on CNN or FOX (no offense, CNN - still love you) - but they speak to issues that are REAL within our OWN communities.....

Keisha Lance Bottoms was courageous for speaking Truth to Power in Roy's post. But there IS serious pain within our (Black) communities that have only been acerbated by an non-empathetic President.

I think between President Trump's comments...actions...over the years AND the Pandemic AND Police Brutality AND Systemic Racism these have helped to reopen wounds...tear scabs off of fresh wounds...

Real Change NEEDS to happen...and - like I mentioned earlier - there NEEDS to be a multi-pronged approach.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 539

I am a bit shocked that our team is FINALLY going through with this...and it appears as if our new coach is at the helm which I'm proud of.

The funny thing is that after reading some Twitter comments on this there ARE some fans that STILL want to somehow KEEP the heritage of the Redskins somehow - without the name, of course.

I honestly don't see how that could be done, TBH....once this name goes away I have no idea of ANY "Safe" name that could be used in place of the Redskins but YET still honor Native Americans.....

Anyways here's hoping that this lifts a curse from the team, LOL......if not we can always watch our Celtics Brothers and Sisters here on the blog writhe in pain from Cam Newton...supposedly, he is getting tired of the "Humble" talk already...

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-qb-cam-newton-i-m-getting-tired-of-being-humble

"I'm really a killa. I'm really a killa," he said. "You hear me? I'm getting tired of all this humble s----. Because, when you're humble, they start taking advantage of you. When you don't say nothing, they start taking advantage of you. But the hyenas can be doing all of this, the elephants can be doing all of what they do, the giraffes, the antelopes, the chimpanzees, even the gorilla. But there's one (expletive) animal in the jungle and when he roars, everything stops. And I'm about to (expletive) roar."

I'd guess that as long as New England WINS I'm sure Cam can roar, yell, scream - whatever - in NE. But if the LOSING starts then I'll be doing this

"IF" things go south in WAS I'll have a distraction. Thankfully I don't think they will, anymore.

Iíd be cool with the red tails.  Iíve also liked red hawks.  People have mentioned the red hogs as a way to tie the old tradition in with starting the new but I dunno, it sounds kind of cheesy.

I do think Dans gonna try his hardest to keep the burgundy and gold colors and if he can pull off a name with an R in the title, I think heís gonna try and use the helmets from the 70s with the R, instead of the Native American head.  It would be awkward but I could see him trying it
Greg

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
The thing that sucks about this thread to me is that it can't exist in a vacuum. Those who would want to distract or diminish the systemic racism and violence against minorities by police officers all over the country often bring up violence done by minorities to other minorities as some kind of "what about that" to shift the conversation. And that sucks, and it's disingenuous and wrong.

But that doesn't mean the violence isn't happening, and it doesn't mean people are any closer to a long-term solution or a short-term solution for it. In Atlanta over the weekend 14 people were shot in the same area Rayshard Brooks was murdered by police. Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms had a lot to say on it. Some pieces:

"It has to stop. You can't blame this on police officers. It's about people who shot a baby in a car. We're doing each other more harm than any officer on this force."

"With the Civil Rights Movement there was a defined common enemy. Now it's the enemy within we're fighting. Police reform is a part of this, but we also have to reform our communities."

I don't know, it's terrible. I hope it's not used as a reason to not move forward with police reform, because I believe the way police interact with these communities is a significant contributor to the violence. But yeah, it is an ignored aspect of our society. Conservatives bring it up because it is a convenient shield to hide behind when they have to talk about things like gun rights or the systemic built in racism of police organizations across America. Democrats don't really talk much about it unless they're talking about gun violence because they don't seem to have the answers either, or if they do, they aren't willing to take the steps to enact them.

I'm repeating myself:  But I still contend that a large factor -- certainly not the ONLY factor, but a large one -- in the modern 'war zone' mentality and hyper-tense relationship between police and communities is the ubiquitous danger of guns.

Every cop pulling over someone for a bad tail light has to worry that that guy in the car is packin' heat in his glove compartment.

This is not at all to absolve all the bad, clearly racist issues in many police departments.  But the constant tension and fear involved with push-button death being everywhere simply has to be exacerbating things.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo

Iíd be cool with the red tails.  Iíve also liked red hawks.  People have mentioned the red hogs as a way to tie the old tradition in with starting the new but I dunno, it sounds kind of cheesy.

I do think Dans gonna try his hardest to keep the burgundy and gold colors and if he can pull off a name with an R in the title, I think heís gonna try and use the helmets from the 70s with the R, instead of the Native American head.  It would be awkward but I could see him trying it

Counter-notion:  Pick something with new colors and clearly distinct logo because that will mean a massive one-time surge in sales of merchandise by the fans.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27135
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Harrowing surveillance footage captured the moment a man was fatally shot while crossing a Bronx street ó hand-in-hand with his 6-year-old daughter.

The clip, tweeted by Rodney Harrison, the NYPDís chief of detectives, opens with Anthony Robinson approaching the intersection of Sheridan Avenue and East 170th Street in Mount Eden around 5:50 p.m. Sunday.

Clasping his young daughterís left hand in his right, Robinson, 29, stops at a crosswalk to eye a dark sedan slowing next to them, appearing to check whether the driver was turning into their path.

But the driver continues to roll along next to father and daughter as they cross Sheridan Avenue, the video shows.

Nearly out of the crosswalk, Robinson turns as though to say something to his daughter ó leaving his back to the sedan.

The shooter then sticks a handgun out of the passengerís window and opens fire, striking Robinson in the chest.

As Robinson crumples to the pavement, his terrified daughter takes off running down Sheridan Avenue, apparently unharmed, the footage shows.

Robinson, a resident of East New York, Brooklyn, was pronounced dead at BronxCare Health System.

I know nothing about how this man lived his life, but surely he didnít deserve to die.  Even more certainly, his 6 year old daughter didnít deserve to lose her father and be traumatized for life.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 539

I'm repeating myself:  But I still contend that a large factor -- certainly not the ONLY factor, but a large one -- in the modern 'war zone' mentality and hyper-tense relationship between police and communities is the ubiquitous danger of guns.

Every cop pulling over someone for a bad tail light has to worry that that guy in the car is packin' heat in his glove compartment.

This is not at all to absolve all the bad, clearly racist issues in many police departments.  But the constant tension and fear involved with push-button death being everywhere simply has to be exacerbating things.

I agree.  I donít think that fear goes away by banning guns though
Greg

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo

I agree.  I donít think that fear goes away by banning guns though

Well, phrases like "banning guns" are scare phrases.  They trigger people.

What we need is to somehow reduce the ubiquitous presence of so many guns in our society.   Whether that requires a 'ban' or not is debatable.  How about we just try to come up with some 'reasonable controls'?

Most other '1st world' countries manage to exist just fine without anywhere near the raw numbers of guns that the US has.  In the UK, the average policeman does not even carry a gun.   Surely we can find some reasonable path towards that direction.

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
I'm going to take another stab at this...

So..what if a COMPREHENSIVE - BI-PARTISAN - SCIENTIFIC - study was done that concluded beyond a shadow of a doubt that WIDESPREAD Gun Control - as in turning / controlling ALL GUNS - would undoubtedly DECREASE Gun Violence and Death in the Black / Latino communities - especially the Inner Cities -

Would those here that are dedicated to preserving that "2nd Amendment" be willing to forgo their guns for the sake of their Fellow (Black) Man?

This is - of course - with my previous caveat that ONLY Law Enforcement and Military are the only ones in society WITH guns...

Also with the caveat that MORE PO's are hired - so there is an increased presence so people will feel safe?

Would people be willing to do this or consider this?

Good Trouble.

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 786
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

So..what if a COMPREHENSIVE - BI-PARTISAN - SCIENTIFIC - study was done that concluded beyond a shadow of a doubt that WIDESPREAD Gun Control - as in turning / controlling ALL GUNS - would undoubtedly DECREASE Gun Violence and Death in the Black / Latino communities - especially the Inner Cities -

Would those here that are dedicated to preserving that "2nd Amendment" be willing to forgo their guns for the sake of their Fellow (Black) Man?

This is - of course - with my previous caveat that ONLY Law Enforcement and Military are the only ones in society WITH guns...

Also with the caveat that MORE PO's are hired - so there is an increased presence so people will feel safe?

I'm not sure I see the link between more police and feeling safer. I know that I, as a white Australian man, would feel less safe and generally more on edge if there was a more pronounced police presence. That sentiment goes for all my friends (obviously no African-Americans, but some Sudanese Australians and Aboriginals). Can't imagine how BIPOC would feel in America...

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1477

I'll be honest here, I don't like the way any of this is being framed.  It's an attempt to distort reality to get a desired emotional reaction.

Taking my guns away won't save a single life.  It may some day cost me mine, however.  And no, I don't want to live in a police/military state where the government/society has that much power over me.  My life is mine, it does not belong to society and is not yours to control or determine the outcome thereof.

But there's a huge chasm between 'take all the guns' and 'no restrictions'.  I'm sure there is a reasonable middle ground in there somewhere.

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell

I'll be honest here, I don't like the way any of this is being framed.  It's an attempt to distort reality to get a desired emotional reaction.

Taking my guns away won't save a single life.  It may some day cost me mine, however.  And no, I don't want to live in a police/military state where the government/society has that much power over me.  My life is mine, it does not belong to society and is not yours to control or determine the outcome thereof.

But there's a huge chasm between 'take all the guns' and 'no restrictions'.  I'm sure there is a reasonable middle ground in there somewhere.

If you took it that way KG then I apologize.

I NEVER meant it that way and I'd hope YOU (or anyone else here) didn't either.

But with every post that Roy makes here you try to find ANSWERS....

If we can't take stabs at this without hurting others feelings then I honestly wish Roy, Don, Nick or some other Mod would shut the thread DOWN.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell

I'm not sure I see the link between more police and feeling safer. I know that I, as a white Australian man, would feel less safe and generally more on edge if there was a more pronounced police presence. That sentiment goes for all my friends (obviously no African-Americans, but some Sudanese Australians and Aboriginals). Can't imagine how BIPOC would feel in America...

I get what you're saying...I'd guess that Police Officer's reps are so shot now - all over the world - that such a scenario I'm speaking of wouldn't be palatable for many, I'd guess.

But yet there WILL be more killings...more murders....more tragedy - in Black Communities in regards to GUNS - as well as OTHER things.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1477

If you took it that way KG then I apologize.

I NEVER meant it that way and I'd hope YOU (or anyone else here) didn't either.

But with every post that Roy makes here you try to find ANSWERS....

If we can't take stabs at this without hurting others feelings then I honestly wish Roy, Don, Nick or some other Mod would shut the thread DOWN.

I don't think you owe me an apology and I wasn't offended.  Speak your mind, I'd rather you say what you feel you need to than hold it in. Maybe I'm reading more into what you're saying than is really there.  Or maybe it was an unintentional thing.  I'm just relaying how I interpreted that.

But I hear where you are coming from on this.  You and I don't get treated the same by society because of the difference in our skin color.  You have different challenges than I do.  That does need to change.

As far as the specific topic of the thread, there's more to unpack than I have the time for right this moment.  It's not an issue I am dismissing though.  My views are clearly very different than yours, at least partly due to our different experiences in life.  I'm not opposed to better gun control, whatever that looks like.  I am opposed to any 'repeal', however, that is something I won't budge on.