Author Topic: Jaylen Brown says he will join protests  (Read 1466 times)

Jaylen Brown says he will join protests
« on: May 30, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

Anyone who follows JB will know he’s furious about what’s gone on over the last couple of days. Wonder if/how many other athletes will act similarly. Also wonder what the team thinks
Denver: Jokic, Nurk, MPJ, Cancar, Barton, Craig, Harris, Lavine, Morris, Poku (21), Crowder, ET, Hernango

Utah: Allen, Jordan, Bradley, Smith(24), Ingles, Bojan, Niang, Paul, Mitchell, LeVert, Moore, Mudiay, Korkmaz, Claxton

Portland: Vuce, Brown, Collins, Stewart (30), Avdija (14), Ariza, Little, Melo, Dame, Hield, Trent, Kanter, Bembry, Hood

Re: Jaylen Brown says he will join protests
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 05:59:13 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2673
I love Jaylen Brown, as I do the entire Celtic Team.

But this choice of his is HUGE and he will look back at this point in his life with pride and admiration.

Out of all of his probable All-Star appearances, possible HOF induction (provided a Celtic Banner or two is raised), this will be among the most important things in his life.

He will sit back, tell his children AND grandchildren, that he did what he could to effect change.

When I was around his age, I participated in the Million Man March, sponsored by my church (and many, many others).

I STILL look back on that event with admiration and pride. I have NEVER since seen SO MANY Black Men together, peaceful, and marching in pride.

And YES - it WAS ONE MILLION BLACK MEN, on October 16, 1995 - at the National Mall.

Augustus Freeman IV is AWESOME. Read Milestone Comics.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2045
  • bammokja

But this choice of his is HUGE and he will look back at this point in his life with pride and admiration.

Out of all of his probable All-Star appearances, possible HOF induction (provided a Celtic Banner or two is raised), this will be among the most important things in his life.

He will sit back, tell his children AND grandchildren, that he did what he could to effect change.

When I was around his age, I participated in the Million Man March, sponsored by my church (and many, many others).

I STILL look back on that event with admiration and pride. I have NEVER since seen SO MANY Black Men together, peaceful, and marching in pride.

And YES - it WAS ONE MILLION BLACK MEN, on October 16, 1995 - at the National Mall.

i agree with your good points GF. i respect Brown more now as a person. I hope all goes well at the protest.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Greenfaith, what happened from the one million man march? Honestly you respect Jaylen Brown because he is joining a protest that the whole country has taken up? No wonder these people get away with doing so little.

There is a whole lot more that people like him can do more than protest. To whom much is given, much is expected. I am sick and tired of all these celebrities who are often used by corporate sponsors.

America needs to sop worshiping celebrities. WE LIVE IN A CELEBRITOCRACY as evidenced by our last two presidents.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2454

i agree with your good points GF. i respect Brown more now as a person. I hope all goes well at the protest.

Citizens of all races should join together to demand respect out of the people of goverment who work FOR US THE PEOPLE .  Jaylen  is doing the correct thing for everybody .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:23:24 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2673
Greenfaith, what happened from the one million man march? Honestly you respect Jaylen Brown because he is joining a protest that the whole country has taken up? No wonder these people get away with doing so little.

There is a whole lot more that people like him can do more than protest. To whom much is given, much is expected. I am sick and tired of all these celebrities who are often used by corporate sponsors.

America needs to sop worshiping celebrities. WE LIVE IN A CELEBRITOCRACY as evidenced by our last two presidents.

Hey Man,

I believe MUCH happened from the Million Man March.

At least for ME - I promptly went back to my community, got more involved in my church working with young Black Men, AND took on a Little Brother from Big Brothers and Big Sisters.

I further committed myself to excellence in the U.S. Navy and got married less than two years after that march - to the SAME lady I'm with now, thank God.

The MMM "inspired Men" to go back to their communities and EFFECT CHANGE. I believe it WAS done...free from Twitter and live-streaming these events back in the mid-90s........

Fast forward what? 25 years later much of THAT group is old and graying. Count me among that group. The "Torch" was passed, somewhat, to Pres. Obama's electors...BUT in someways we became complacent...

Not just Blacks / African Americans - but ALL of America.

For ME? I became "Complacent", unfortunately - by not voting in the Mid-Terms AFTER Pres. Obama got elected. I'd guess quite a few others did, as well.

THIS, IMO - hampered much of what Pres. Obama was TRYING to do....he got The Affordable Care Act through, barely, and got the Economy up and running, and fostered good relations with other countries the best he could, among other things...

But here at home Pres. Obama "WAS" shackled, a bit...the Republicans got fired up at the Grass roots levels and I remember his last few years he had MUCH trouble getting things passed...especially Merrick Garland getting to the Supreme Court....

At the end of the day - CHANGE is effected by VOTING...holding elected officials ACCOUNTABLE at ALL TIMES....continuously vetting candidates...going to the polls EVERY opportunity - not just for National Elections.....

I'm praying that the events of the last few years AND the last week fires up NOT ONLY Democrats but Independents but ALSO well-meaning Republicans to GO TO THE POLLS OR MAIL IN your ballots.....VOTE.......

And for Jaylen? Yeah I have a lot of respect for the young man. He seems - at a young age - focused on ISSUES as well as Basketball. Such things INSPIRE youth....and get them THINKING outside of Basketball..

And no - I never saw President Obama as a Celebrity. I think the media "tried" to make him one because of the history behind what he was doing. Not his fault.

I certainly view him differently in the public eye than our "current" iteration of the White House.

Finally - do we need ANOTHER Million Man March? Perhaps. If one is held I'd have the pleasure of taking my sons to it this time.
Augustus Freeman IV is AWESOME. Read Milestone Comics.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley

Hey Man,

I believe MUCH happened from the Million Man March.

At least for ME - I promptly went back to my community, got more involved in my church working with young Black Men, AND took on a Little Brother from Big Brothers and Big Sisters.

I further committed myself to excellence in the U.S. Navy and got married less than two years after that march - to the SAME lady I'm with now, thank God.

The MMM "inspired Men" to go back to their communities and EFFECT CHANGE. I believe it WAS done...free from Twitter and live-streaming these events back in the mid-90s........

Fast forward what? 25 years later much of THAT group is old and graying. Count me among that group. The "Torch" was passed, somewhat, to Pres. Obama's electors...BUT in someways we became complacent...

Not just Blacks / African Americans - but ALL of America.

For ME? I became "Complacent", unfortunately - by not voting in the Mid-Terms AFTER Pres. Obama got elected. I'd guess quite a few others did, as well.

THIS, IMO - hampered much of what Pres. Obama was TRYING to do....he got The Affordable Care Act through, barely, and got the Economy up and running, and fostered good relations with other countries the best he could, among other things...

But here at home Pres. Obama "WAS" shackled, a bit...the Republicans got fired up at the Grass roots levels and I remember his last few years he had MUCH trouble getting things passed...especially Merrick Garland getting to the Supreme Court....

At the end of the day - CHANGE is effected by VOTING...holding elected officials ACCOUNTABLE at ALL TIMES....continuously vetting candidates...going to the polls EVERY opportunity - not just for National Elections.....

I'm praying that the events of the last few years AND the last week fires up NOT ONLY Democrats but Independents but ALSO well-meaning Republicans to GO TO THE POLLS OR MAIL IN your ballots.....VOTE.......

And for Jaylen? Yeah I have a lot of respect for the young man. He seems - at a young age - focused on ISSUES as well as Basketball. Such things INSPIRE youth....and get them THINKING outside of Basketball..

And no - I never saw President Obama as a Celebrity. I think the media "tried" to make him one because of the history behind what he was doing. Not his fault.

I certainly view him differently in the public eye than our "current" iteration of the White House.

Finally - do we need ANOTHER Million Man March? Perhaps. If one is held I'd have the pleasure of taking my sons to it this time.

Good post Greenfaith, thank you for your service.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 05:51:58 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 316
Jaylen's got a good head on his shoulders. Videos of the protest are around. It's easy to point out an issue (granted some still think systemic racism isn't to blame), easier still to complain at those doing something without ever doing something yourself.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
highlighting JB like highlighting the way BO speaks is patronizing, but people do not seem to get that.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 156
highlighting JB like highlighting the way BO speaks is patronizing, but people do not seem to get that.
Not every celebrity has the testicular fortitude to stand up, speak out and protest.  JB could probably do more and perhaps he is or will.  Step one is doing SOMETHING and that is better than doing NOTHING.  I see no harm in giving kudos to JB or any other athlete/celeb who tries to make a positive impact.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
Not every celebrity has the testicular fortitude to stand up, speak out and protest.  JB could probably do more and perhaps he is or will.  Step one is doing SOMETHING and that is better than doing NOTHING.  I see no harm in giving kudos to JB or any other athlete/celeb who tries to make a positive impact.

There is nothing unique about JB or his intellect it is patronizing to act as if there is. There are a slew of black intellectuals that get no recognition. Show those people. Teach black kids that basketball is not the only way!!

When someone starts a post  with 'JB has a good head on his shoulders', that is a loaded statement 'good head' based on what, and  as opposed to who? These other knuckleheads? We need to be careful not to patronize an entire race of people.   There are millions of JBs in the black community..there is nothing unique about his intellect.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:27:41 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 156

There is nothing unique about JB or his intellect it is patronizing to act as if there is. There are a slew of black intellectuals that get no recognition. Show those people. Teach black kids that basketball is not the only way!!

When someone starts with JB has a good head on his shoulders, as opposed to who? Thise other knuckleheads? Enough of the patronizing. There are millions of JBs in the black community..there is nothing unique about his intellect.
1.  There is something unique of JB, he is a pro athlete and with that comes a unique spotlight that he can use to try to do SOMETHING.
2.  The closest anyone in this threat got to saying that there is anything "unique about his intellect" was saying that he "has a good head on his shoulders".
3.  Nobody suggested basketball is the only way.

Nobody in this thread has been patronizing.  All anyone has done is to acknowledge and be appreciative of JB speaking up.  I hope he does more than speak up and uses his spotlight to be a person of change.  Yes, there a plenty of other and better black role models but why have an issue with someone that some people look up to trying to be decent?
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 316
Brown is a young athlete. As someone who follows multiple sports leagues, NFL, MLB, NHL, English Premier League, ect. it's unusual to me to see such aggressive activism and public speaking without waiting for stardom or true wealth. I don't think that's a loaded or tokenizing statement.

I think it's a problem if someone registers surprise due to intrinsic characteristics. 

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »

Online blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 752

When someone starts a post  with 'JB has a good head on his shoulders', that is a loaded statement 'good head' based on what, and  as opposed to who? These other knuckleheads? We need to be careful not to patronize an entire race of people.   There are millions of JBs in the black community..there is nothing unique about his intellect.

Nobody in this thread is being patronizing nor minimizing anyone else’s efforts.  We like Jaylen and like seeing him develop as a person.  What is wrong with commenting on it?  All of us out Celtic fans and we want our players to develop and grow into great people.  The end.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley

When someone starts with JB has a good head on his shoulders, as opposed to who? Thise other knuckleheads? Enough of the patronizing. There are millions of JBs in the black community..there is nothing unique about his intellect.
1.  There is something unique of JB, he is a pro athlete and with that comes a unique spotlight that he can use to try to do SOMETHING.
2.  The closest anyone in this threat got to saying that there is anything "unique about his intellect" was saying that he "has a good head on his shoulders".
3.  Nobody suggested basketball is the only way.

Nobody in this thread has been patronizing.  All anyone has done is to acknowledge and be appreciative of JB speaking up.  I hope he does more than speak up and uses his spotlight to be a person of change.  Yes, there a plenty of other and better black role models but why have an issue with someone that some people look up to trying to be decent?

You just do not get it. Biden did not when he said similar things about Obama. It is patronizing and condescending to the black race, but carry on with it. Don't listen. This is the same attitude that leads police to treat the black man that does not speak the way they respect, or dress the way they respect, in a certain way. Carry on.