Author Topic: To what extent can / should the government regulate social media?  (Read 1199 times)

Re: To what extent can / should the government regulate social media?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1371
"Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg told Fox News on Wednesday that his platform would not follow Twitter and fact-check claims by President Donald Trump.

"I believe strongly that Facebook shouldn't be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online," Zuckerberg said.

On Tuesday, Twitter for the first time added a fact-check warning to a false claim that Trump made.

In response, Trump was thought to be preparing to sign an executive order meant to erode social-media companies' legal protections against being sued over the content published on their platforms."

The whole thing is just a farce.  The thing that happens over and over again is when Trump accuses someone of doing something bad, typically it is projection and he is the actual one that did something bad.

I posted this in another thread:

"You know how Trump always accuses people of stuff he's guilty of? Well, maybe Trump killed Lori Klausutis. On Saturday, Trump explicitly called for the case to be reopened, “A blow to her head? Body found under his desk? Left Congress suddenly? Big topic of discussion in Florida…and, he’s a Nut Job (with bad ratings). Keep digging, use forensic geniuses!”  ::)"

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 207
"Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg told Fox News on Wednesday that his platform would not follow Twitter and fact-check claims by President Donald Trump.

"I believe strongly that Facebook shouldn't be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online," Zuckerberg said.

On Tuesday, Twitter for the first time added a fact-check warning to a false claim that Trump made.

In response, Trump was thought to be preparing to sign an executive order meant to erode social-media companies' legal protections against being sued over the content published on their platforms."

The whole thing is just a farce.  The thing that happens over and over again is when Trump accuses someone of doing something bad, typically it is projection and he is the actual one that did something bad.

This is a common habit among narcissists.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151
100% twitter did the right thing. Stop with the lies.

We need more facts, sources and actual education when certain people have a certain level of influence.

It's like a cult, freedom of religion is fine but when people are causing harm someone needs to step in.

Be it a person or the government we need the truth. Trump was the one in the wrong and then complains about being corrected.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson

We need more facts, sources and actual education when certain people have a certain level of influence.

It's like a cult, freedom of religion is fine but when people are causing harm someone needs to step in.

Be it a person or the government we need the truth. Trump was the one in the wrong and then complains about being corrected.

Trump is always so upset about the truth.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151

Trump isn't upset. He acts upset. The guy is a hustler and con-man, he is working all of us. To his credit as a hustler he is epic and I envy his game. But for the US and society it's sad to be in this position. Lack of faith in politicians allowed for this so I don't 100% blame Trump for Trump taking advantage. We need to hold all politicians accountable not just blame a yes man (to corporations) in Trump.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson

Trump isn't upset. He acts upset. The guy is a hustler and con-man, he is working all of us. To his credit as a hustler he is epic and I envy his game. But for the US and society it's sad to be in this position. Lack of faith in politicians allowed for this so I don't 100% blame Trump for Trump taking advantage. We need to hold all politicians accountable not just blame a yes man (to corporations) in Trump.

Well said. I agree. Trump doesn't have a sincere bone in his body.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't believe in censorship for the most part.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 33
Call me naive but I believe there's a difference between censorship and limiting the serial peddling of falsehoods.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1474
The government regulating private regulation of speech is still the government regulating speech. That shouldn't happen.

This is the underlying principle.  I'm sure celticsstrong owners/staff feel this forum should be free to control the speech that happens here.  I'm not going to let the government tell me what speech I must or cannot allow on or via my property.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I think there are actually some interesting questions to think about in the future as social media becomes more and more prevalent.  Private companies that use public airways aren’t necessarily immune from regulation.  The “public square” argument has been raised in multiple legal contexts; perhaps social media is ventually is seen as a utility, or a public institution.

I think Trump’s executive order is silly.  At the same time, just because a company is private doesn’t mean it’s free to act as it likes.  Private businesses of public accommodation, for instance, can’t discriminate based upon race and certain other characteristics.   If employees of Best Western were allowed to use the N-word at work, or placed signs saying “death to Muslims”, they could be sued. 

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 02:17:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1125
Hold media outlets accountable for purposely taking things out of context to fit their agendas and the impact it has on the masses....that's an issue I would consider supporting regulation. At the same time, the government isn't a trustworthy, unbiased entity to do so.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 06:11:29 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 33
Hold media outlets accountable for purposely taking things out of context to fit their agendas and the impact it has on the masses....that's an issue I would consider supporting regulation. At the same time, the government isn't a trustworthy, unbiased entity to do so.

Per a quick google doublecheck:
The FCC does have regulations regarding false information, but they only apply to over-the-air programs on networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox Broadcasting (but not the Fox News Channel). :)