Author Topic: The latest homicide at the hands of police canít be tolerated  (Read 49675 times)

Re: The latest homicide at the hands of police canít be tolerated
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2020, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown (from Ferguson), Eric Garner, Ahmaud Arbery, and now George Floyd. Just what will it take for the cops to comprehend?

Martin is a sad case, but a proper case of stand your ground.  A lot of people do not know the facts.  Martin was straddling Zimmerman,  hitting him and pounding his head into a rock.  Also, not a police issue.

Michael Brown assaulted an officer, tried to take his gone, and charged at him.  It was a justified shooting.

Garner is similar to Floyd, although less callous.  Neither man should be dead.

Arbery isnít police brutality, but his was another killing people should be outraged about.  Grabbing water at a construction site and jogging got a man killed. 

But, there a certainly other incidents of police shootings that should disgust us all.  Tamir Rice, Laquan McDonald, Walter Scott, Philando Castile, Justine Damond.

Three of these cases took place in or around Minneapolis.  Is that a coincidence, or a sign of poor training and oversight.

Choosing to see these as individual cases is part of the reason why this never gets solved. People can explain away sole perpetrators as outliers to law and order, prosecute, and then go to bed "happy and satisfied that they did their bit to appear not racist and tell their friends how law and order served the day". Then as one person gets put away, another takes that person's place because the system continues to churn out people that see all black people as violent offenders regardless of the situation. This perception affects economic outcomes. It affects employment outcomes. It affects health outcomes and legal outcomes. Not a lot has changed in 150 years. We just have cameras on our phones so we can film it now when it happens.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I mean, it's plainly obvious to anyone with a shred of morality what happened to George Floyd was unquestionably wrong and a major problem.  And I fully support the protesters here and do think people have every right to be irate over this.

But the rioting, looting, and general chaos that have occurred over this shouldn't really be tolerated either.  The police murdering someone is not just cause to destroy private property and steal from others.  This isn't going to solve anything and will probably have the exact opposite effect of what the protesters may have been hoping to achieve.  But we've seen situations like this play out similarly countless times before, so no one should be surprised I suppose.
I donít think they believe theyíll get anywhere with peaceful protests. And I canít blame them. Most, if not all major social upheaval is not done remotely peacefully, and they are of the belief that this is a deeply systemic issue - and rightfully so. I donít think they give a [dang] about being civil, considering theyíre treated as a sub-class of the citizenry.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the direct, aggressive confrontations with the police.  If people want to go to literal war with the police, I'm not going to stand in their way. It's not helpful, but I also have zero sympathies for the police. I'm not sure what they are supposed to do when they are attacked, however.

But put yourself in the place of a business owner who has to stand there and watch their business get vandalized and looted over something they did not perpetrate.  If I was a store owner and an angry mob showed up looking to rob me and destroy my property you can rest assured I'm defending myself and my property by all means necessary without remorse.

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 401
Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown (from Ferguson), Eric Garner, Ahmaud Arbery, and now George Floyd. Just what will it take for the cops to comprehend?

Martin is a sad case, but a proper case of stand your ground.  A lot of people do not know the facts.  Martin was straddling Zimmerman,  hitting him and pounding his head into a rock.  Also, not a police issue.

Michael Brown assaulted an officer, tried to take his gone, and charged at him.  It was a justified shooting.

Arbery isnít police brutality, but his was another killing people should be outraged about.  Grabbing water at a construction site and jogging got a man killed. 

But, there a certainly other incidents of police shootings that should disgust us all.  Tamir Rice, Laquan McDonald, Walter Scott, Philando Castile, Justine Damond.

Three of these cases took place in or around Minneapolis.  Is that a coincidence, or a sign of poor training and oversight.

Choosing to see these as individual cases is part of the reason why this never gets solved. People can explain away sole perpetrators as outliers to law and order, prosecute, and then go to bed "happy and satisfied that they did their bit to appear not racist and tell their friends how law and order served the day". Then as one person gets put away, another takes that person's place because the system continues to churn out people that see all black people as violent offenders regardless of the situation. This perception affects economic outcomes. It affects employment outcomes. It affects health outcomes and legal outcomes. Not a lot has changed in 150 years. We just have cameras on our phones so we can film it now when it happens.

I have never heard Hobbs assertion (bolded above) of the Martin attack verified, so I did a little digging.
Police reports describe Zimmerman had grass stains on his back and was breading from his nose and back of head but there is no assertion that Martin attacked him with a rock.
ďSanford Police Department's homicide detective Christopher Serino recommends Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter. Zimmerman "failed to identify himself" as a concerned citizen or neighborhood watch member on two occasions that night. Serino reports that he thought Zimmerman's head injuries were "marginally consistent with a life-threatening episode, as described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force were deployed by Trayvon Martin."

https://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/us/trayvon-martin-shooting-fast-facts/index.html

This kind of assertion needs to be backed up.
Iíd like to see the source.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:46:32 AM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I hadnít heard anything about Hobbs bolder description of the Martin attack, so I did a little digging.
Maybe this was claimed but ď Sanford Police Department's homicide detective Christopher Serino recommends Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter. Zimmerman "failed to identify himself" as a concerned citizen or neighborhood watch member on two occasions that night. Serino reports that he thought Zimmerman's head injuries were "marginally consistent with a life-threatening episode, as described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force were deployed by Trayvon Martin."

You realize they had a trial? 
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 401

I hadnít heard anything about Hobbs bolder description of the Martin attack, so I did a little digging.
Maybe this was claimed but ď Sanford Police Department's homicide detective Christopher Serino recommends Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter. Zimmerman "failed to identify himself" as a concerned citizen or neighborhood watch member on two occasions that night. Serino reports that he thought Zimmerman's head injuries were "marginally consistent with a life-threatening episode, as described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force were deployed by Trayvon Martin."

Show me where Zimmerman proved he was attacked with a rock.
He may have asserted it, but he did not prove it, in fact, he declined  to be transported to a hospital to have his injuries evaluated.
If I got hit in the head by a rock, Iíd want to have it checked out.

With out corroboration, itís just a matter of who the jury believes.
As we have already discussed, the criminal justice system is weighted against black people, so itís no surprise to me that Zimmerman got away with it.

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2020, 10:01:33 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

He may have asserted it, but he did not prove it, in fact, he declined  to be transported to a hospital to have his injuries evaluated.

As we have already discussed, the criminal justice system is weighted against black people, so itís no surprise to me that Zimmerman got away with it.

They had a trial...

So obviously it happened. Because no one ever lies.

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

And, as Iíve pointed out and you ignored, statistics show that, in the absence of an all-white jury, blacks are actually acquitted at a higher rate than whites.  Nationwide and in Florida, roughly 70% - 75% of defendants who have jury trials are convicted, whether they be black or white.

How can you have strong opinions when you donít know the facts alleged at the case? 

And how are we linking Zimmerman ó not a member of law enforcement ó to police brutality?

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They had a trial...

Perhaps we could ignore evidence and jury trials (that Iím guessing you didnít watch) and come to whatever conclusions we want.

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

And, as Iíve pointed out and you ignored, statistics show that, in the absence of an all-white jury, blacks are actually acquitted at a higher rate than whites.  Nationwide and in Florida, roughly 70% - 75% of defendants who have jury trials are convicted, whether they be black or white.

How can you have strong opinions when you donít know the facts alleged at the case? 

And how are we linking Zimmerman ó not a member of law enforcement ó to police brutality?

Because the issues are systemic, not individual. The law is not applied equally to black and brown people. They are profiled and generalized as violent offenders before due process.

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 827
Just watched the Amy Cooper video. That woman reeks of malice.

Her actions also undermine legitimate instances when women are threatened. This is why we can't believe everybody.

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

They had a trial...

Perhaps we could ignore evidence and jury trials (that Iím guessing you didnít watch) and come to whatever conclusions we want.

That's what you seem to be doing. Like you said, "black people commit more violent crimes". So your evidence will support that conclusion. Trayvon Martin was obviously a violent kid.

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1251
  • What a Pub Should Be

Her actions also undermine legitimate instances when women are threatened. This is why we can't believe everybody.

Absolutely dangerous.  She knew what she was doing.

Franklin Templeton fired her the other day.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 818

That (statistics on other trial outcomes) literally has zero to do with his point.  Nvrmind that the person on trial (Zimmerman) was not black.

Just because Zimmerman asserted something in a trial doesn't make it 'fact' or 'truth'.  It merely makes it his testimony.  There was zero corroborating evidence or testimony supporting this assertion.   Add in the 'fact' that Zimmerman was highly motivated to make such an assertion (regardless of truth) and the odds are pretty high that he was ... less than truthful.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:13 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

That situation was even more scary than the Floyd murder. That woman had no authority. Yet she knowingly weaponized her whiteness, going so far as to threaten the man saying she would call the cops and tell them that an AFRICAN-AMERICAN man was threatening her life knowing full well how that would be perceived by law enforcement. Then "fake cried" on the phone to make herself sound more like a victim. That's Emmett Till level messed up and that can happen at any time.

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 33

Nail, meet the head of the hammer.

I don't think, though, this is often coming from a place of active malice. It can be very difficult for people to square experiences different than their own on such a massive scale. For a lot of people, 'the system' works, and they have a hard time believing that things can be dramatically different for other folks.