Author Topic: The latest homicide at the hands of police canít be tolerated  (Read 84523 times)

Re: The latest homicide at the hands of police canít be tolerated
« Reply #1725 on: November 10, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27026
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I saw my first clear-cut case of institutional racism today, and it p---ed me off. I got into a loud argument with the district attorney about it, without the judge present but in front of a court room full of defendants and other lawyers.

As I text my wife:

Argument with [blank] today.   She took it personally because I demanded a dismissal today or I was taking the case to the media

A black kid got surrounded by a bunch of bikers, one of whomgot off his bike and destroyed the kids mirror. Hollering racial slurs, and gave obviously false written statements that contradicted each other. And off-duty cop saw the whole thing and didnít call it in.  My client did.  They charged him with driving to endanger even though he did not hit anybody or anything with his vehicle.

Iím made because this case was so obvious.  The one assailant got a disorderly conduct charge.  Nothing for any of the other bikers who surrounded him. If I were the DA, I would have charged the lot of them with false imprisonment, filed a hate crime against the assailant, plastered this Neanderthalís face all over the media, and opened an investigation into both the off-duty cop and the cop who wrote charges against my client.

The case got dismissed, but I feel worse about my local justice system.  Iím friends with these DAs, but they canít just rubber stamp charges and give the real perpetrators of injustice a free pass.

I  want to break something, which I guess leaves only a small difference between me and rioters.

* Caveat:  This doesnít happen often. As I said, after 14 years of criminal law, this is the first obvious and clear case I have seen. There have been two others that I have had suspicions about. Most of the people I work with take their jobs really seriously and do a good job. But man this makes me mad.

Devils advocate questions:

If the person in the car was a gay white kid and the bikers did the same thing (obviously without racial slurs and instead shouting homophobic slurs) would you push for the entire gang to be charged and their faces plastered all over media?

What if the bikers were black and the driver of the car was a white man?

Either way, as you describe, this sounds like it should be prosecuted.

Sure. Why wouldnít I?  Even if there was no hate crime aspect of this case, the bikers all should be held accountable.

I believe there are some who would only give lip service to my devil's advocate questions. I agree with you. Color of skin shouldn't matter.

I live in a liberal city but in a conservative county.  I suspect if there was a black biker gang (unlikely where I live) harassing a white victim, it would probably be a bigger media story than the reverse.

But, I do have media connections who would have blown this story up for me.  Playing the ďrace cardĒ is appropriate in my mind when facts clearly point to racism.  Thatís way overdone in this country, but here itís a pretty legit issue.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #1726 on: November 10, 2020, 12:35:45 PM »

Online Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I saw my first clear-cut case of institutional racism today, and it p---ed me off. I got into a loud argument with the district attorney about it, without the judge present but in front of a court room full of defendants and other lawyers.

As I text my wife:

Argument with [blank] today.   She took it personally because I demanded a dismissal today or I was taking the case to the media

A black kid got surrounded by a bunch of bikers, one of whomgot off his bike and destroyed the kids mirror. Hollering racial slurs, and gave obviously false written statements that contradicted each other. And off-duty cop saw the whole thing and didnít call it in.  My client did.  They charged him with driving to endanger even though he did not hit anybody or anything with his vehicle.

Iím made because this case was so obvious.  The one assailant got a disorderly conduct charge.  Nothing for any of the other bikers who surrounded him. If I were the DA, I would have charged the lot of them with false imprisonment, filed a hate crime against the assailant, plastered this Neanderthalís face all over the media, and opened an investigation into both the off-duty cop and the cop who wrote charges against my client.

The case got dismissed, but I feel worse about my local justice system.  Iím friends with these DAs, but they canít just rubber stamp charges and give the real perpetrators of injustice a free pass.

I  want to break something, which I guess leaves only a small difference between me and rioters.

* Caveat:  This doesnít happen often. As I said, after 14 years of criminal law, this is the first obvious and clear case I have seen. There have been two others that I have had suspicions about. Most of the people I work with take their jobs really seriously and do a good job. But man this makes me mad.

If the person in the car was a gay white kid and the bikers did the same thing (obviously without racial slurs and instead shouting homophobic slurs) would you push for the entire gang to be charged and their faces plastered all over media?

Sure. Why wouldnít I?  Even if there was no hate crime aspect of this case, the bikers all should be held accountable.

I believe there are some who would only give lip service to my devil's advocate questions. I agree with you. Color of skin shouldn't matter.

I live in a liberal city but in a conservative county.  I suspect if there was a black biker gang (unlikely where I live) harassing a white victim, it would probably be a bigger media story than the reverse.

But, I do have media connections who would have blown this story up for me.  Playing the ďrace cardĒ is appropriate in my mind when facts clearly point to racism.  Thatís way overdone in this country, but here itís a pretty legit issue.

Then contact the media.

If you can justify it to yourself, then you will not be wrong in doing it.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #1727 on: November 10, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27026
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

As I text my wife:

Then contact the media.

My duty is to my client, and heís happy with the outcome.  He doesnít particularly want a target on his back with a bunch of racist bikers. Like with a lot of things that frustrate me, I need to respect my clients wishes, rather than promote my own idea of justice.

So, I vent on a blog instead.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #1728 on: November 10, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »

Online Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

As I text my wife:

Then contact the media.

My duty is to my client, and heís happy with the outcome.  He doesnít particularly want a target on his back with a bunch of racist bikers. Like with a lot of things that frustrate me, I need to respect my clients wishes, rather than promote my own idea of justice.

So, I vent on a blog instead.

XD

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #1729 on: November 10, 2020, 04:24:03 PM »

Online ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572

But you didn't Roy, and that makes all the difference  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1730 on: November 10, 2020, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 438

As I text my wife:

This is a compelling and personal experience that is very relevant to the topic.  Thanks for being willing to share this.

I don't think the lesson here (to the extent that there is a lesson) is about you making a stand by calling the media or not but it is more about you having the opportunity to feel what that young black man felt, something you perhaps would not have otherwise understood.

No one died in this incident, thankfully it did not escalate to that point, but it is an example of how a young black man appears to have been treated differently by the "system" than you would expect a white man may have been treated.  This is the root of the problems.  This happens a million times across the country; escalating to someone dying only happens a fraction of the time.

Based on the recent election, there are still a lot of white people who didn't vote for Biden.  I think there is a pervasive fear that liberals will support BLM and that will somehow lead to black people taking jobs or power or something away from white people.  That is the part I don't get.  Trying to lift up one group of people who may be experiencing some level of injustice, does not mean that you are taking away from the other people.  That seems to be how it is viewed though, and not by accident, as this is exactly the message elected officials on the right are often thriving on.