Author Topic: Total Lawless Executive Branch!  (Read 10148 times)

Re: Total Lawless Executive Branch!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1371
Trump above the law and the rules:

"Twitter Apologizes for ‘Pain’ Caused by Trump’s Tweets Falsely Implying Joe Scarborough Committed Murder, but Takes No Action Against President"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/twitter-apologizes-pain-caused-trump-142219119.html

That is so freaking stupid, if Trump breaks the rules of Twitter he should be removed from Twitter.  Or at least temporarily, whatever is done to other people who do the same thing.

Imagine if Trump couldn't fire up his base with Twitter?  I think he would implode.

Twitter now has to put the truth at the bottom of the lies Trump tells:

"In a statement, Twitter said Trump's vote-by-mail tweets “contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labeled to provide additional context around mail-in ballots.”

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 10:17:19 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
"WASHINGTON — A leading Democrat on the House Oversight Committee asked an inspector general on Tuesday to investigate how a former deputy chief of staff to President Trump received a multimillion-dollar contract to deliver respirators to a Native American community hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

The request by Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., signals that Democrats intend to aggressively oversee how the Trump administration is disbursing the trillions of dollars allocated by Congress for coronavirus relief measures for individuals, corporations and small businesses.

Connolly pressed Christi Grimm, principal deputy inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services and the sole witness at the briefing, to begin looking into how the former White House aide, Zachary Fuentes, came to receive a $3 million contract despite lacking expertise in medical device procurement.

Grimm did not commit to open an investigation.

“The no-bid contract awarded to Mr. Fuentes definitely has our full attention,” Connolly told Yahoo News after the hearing. Connolly, who heads the House Oversight Subcommittee on Government Operations, vowed that even if HHS did not investigate the Fuentes contract, congressional Democrats would do so themselves. During the hearing itself, he said there was “something suspicious” about the whole affair. "

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
Twitter is the only one holding the POTUS responsible. SAD. Where is congress? Where is the SCOTUS?

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 752
Twitter is the only one holding the POTUS responsible. SAD. Where is congress? Where is the SCOTUS?

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-threatens-shut-down-platforms-after-tweets-tagged-warning-2020-5

Trump threatens to shut down social media because he was in the smallest way called out for the lies in his tweets.
Worst-president-ever.

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 06:26:24 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-threatens-shut-down-platforms-after-tweets-tagged-warning-2020-5

Trump threatens to shut down social media because he was in the smallest way called out for the lies in his tweets.
Worst-president-ever.

We've had some bad presidents but Trump takes the cake. He's just not responsible, which is a bad quality for someone in charge.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/donald-trump-the-most-unmanly-president/612031/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:40:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 412
The two big distraction stories de jour are mail in voting and the Joe Scarborough conspiracy.  So before getting into the "its a free country" end of the debate, is there anyone who thinks there is any truth to either of these?  Does anyone think this is about anything but Trump's self interest?  I would hope that at least 9 out of 10 of us could agree on this part.  These are lies, falsehoods, alternative reality, call it what you will.

Setting the above aside for now, even though I am sure more than I think will have some rationale for why these aren't bald-faced lies ginned up for political self interest, does the president of the united states really have a god given right to lie anytime he wants?  Voters will have the opportunity to hold him accountable for this and that is great but are we really at the point where all we can do is either hope that social media companies will shut it down or complain about liberty infringement when they do?

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
The two big distraction stories de jour are mail in voting and the Joe Scarborough conspiracy.  So before getting into the "its a free country" end of the debate, is there anyone who thinks there is any truth to either of these?  Does anyone think this is about anything but Trump's self interest?  I would hope that at least 9 out of 10 of us could agree on this part.  These are lies, falsehoods, alternative reality, call it what you will.

Setting the above aside for now, even though I am sure more than I think will have some rationale for why these aren't bald-faced lies ginned up for political self interest, does the president of the united states really have a god given right to lie anytime he wants?  Voters will have the opportunity to hold him accountable for this and that is great but are we really at the point where all we can do is either hope that social media companies will shut it down or complain about liberty infringement when they do?

You know how Trump always accuses people of stuff he's guilty of? Well, maybe Trump killed Lori Klausutis. On Saturday, Trump explicitly called for the case to be reopened, “A blow to her head? Body found under his desk? Left Congress suddenly? Big topic of discussion in Florida…and, he’s a Nut Job (with bad ratings). Keep digging, use forensic geniuses!”  ::)

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1475

Worst-president-ever.

Yeesh...

Sorry, Donald, this is not communist China and you are not a dictator, as much as you may wish you were.

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 828

Yeah, who'd have thought Twitter would be America's last line of defense against a rogue President? And the GOP wants 4 more years of this? I legit never imagined people would sink so low to defend a politician. The fact that he stands any chance at all of reelection speaks for itself.

I can say with confidence most liberals would not follow their President off a cliff like this. It is completely crazy. And it hints at enormous underlying rot that will not be cured by one term of Joe Biden. This country is in a death spiral unless a serious reckoning happens.

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
"Shortly after Trump claimed on Twitter he would "strongly regulate" or "close down" social media platforms that are allegedly silencing "conservative voices," Pompeo sent out a tweet saying the U.S. "will not tolerate" government-imposed censorship or shutdowns."

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 316

Yeah, who'd have thought Twitter would be America's last line of defense against a rogue President? And the GOP wants 4 more years of this? I legit never imagined people would sink so low to defend a politician. The fact that he stands any chance at all of reelection speaks for itself.

I can say with confidence most liberals would not follow their President off a cliff like this. It is completely crazy. And it hints at enormous underlying rot that will not be cured by one term of Joe Biden. This country is in a death spiral unless a serious reckoning happens.

The groundwork for this sick situation was laid with 25 years of right wing hate radio, backed up by bright and shiny Fox News with it's slightly more subtle hatreds. 

Hatred lives in our people...and to the politicians it's lightening in a bottle....so easily exploited....their chance to keep power despite many unpopular positions. 

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson

The groundwork for this sick situation was laid with 25 years of right wing hate radio, backed up by bright and shiny Fox News with it's slightly more subtle hatreds. 

Hatred lives in our people...and to the politicians it's lightening in a bottle....so easily exploited....their chance to keep power despite many unpopular positions.

Yoda:
Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Luke:
Vader... Is the dark side stronger?

Yoda:
No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Luke:
But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

Yoda:
You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 752

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/28/trump-retweets-video-saying-only-good-democrat-is-dead-democrat/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

and Trump thinks Twitter is the problem...smh.

I thought republicans were antiregulation!

"Kate Klonick, an assistant legal professor at St. John's University's School of Law, published what she said was a draft version of the executive order late on Wednesday. (You can read it here.) The Techdirt reporter Mike Masnick said he had received the same draft, and Reuters confirmed that it had seen a genuine draft.

The draft version of the order, which could still change, names Facebook, Google, and Twitter and targets a section of US law under which tech platforms largely aren't liable for what their users post and are fairly free to police content. Trump is expected to sign such an order on Thursday.

Specifically, the order would ask the Federal Communications Commission to examine those regulations under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and to look at whether platforms' actions to remove or alter users' content should mean they forgo these protections.

Any alteration could leave Facebook, Twitter, or other platforms open to more lawsuits, The Wall Street Journal noted."

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson