Author Topic: VP Kamala Harris / The Democratic Convention  (Read 24119 times)

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1827
If Biden had picked Romney I think it would have been a landslide victory for his campaign.  Not disagreeing with his pick, just that Romney would have had a higher % chance of victory.
wasn't going to happen.  no way Dems were coughing up the VP slot to a Rep especially when some are expecting Biden to not last the full term.  Dems would have been slitting their wrists if that were to come to pass.

There's plenty of Dems, including Harris, that were qualified for the position.  Also consider that the VP selection was going to be essentially who'd be carrying the Dem leadership mantle going forward.  Another big reason Biden wouldn't have picked a Rep as his running mate.

Biden should have no problem getting the popular vote and I suspect a pretty secure electoral college win.  Trump has his core and not much else.  The only way for Trump to win this is to take the focus off his track record and squeeze out an electoral win via the swing states just like last time.  Having Biden instead of Clinton as his opponent really cuts into that approach due to Biden's well established links to supporting unions and working class people in those areas.

I love Romney, I'd easily prefer him over either of these two candidates. But, as a VP pick who will carry the country forward to the future, he's no spring chicken either. He's 73 years old.

Can't either party come up with some qualified people who are not in their 70's?

That's what makes Harris so attractive as a VP choice imo. She's young AND qualified. Whereas Palin was young and totally unqualified. Her lack of qualification was a very valid concern as McCain would have barely made it to the end of a first term before his brain cancer diagnosis. The concerns that either Biden or Trump don't make it through the next term are very valid.

The dislike for Palin has always seemed weird to me. I remember Matt Damon insulting her by saying he didn't want a "hockey mom" in control of the little red button. Way to belittle half of America. But how in the world was she "totally" unqualified to be vice president, yet a community organizer who was basically an absentee senator was somehow qualified to be president? That math doesn't add up for me.

If anything, I think the liberal disdain for Palin shows part of the ugly underbelly of the progressive movement: A lot of progressives are elitists who dislike rural areas and the people who are from those areas. And since I'm originally from a rural area, and happily so, that disdain doesn't sit well with me, and frankly is enough, all by itself, to make me never want to give any progressive a hearing (though I have plenty of other reasons besides).

I think I can say that there have been very few conservatives that I have liked less than Sarah Palin. Unqualified, unprepared and, if anything in her defense - unfairly nominated.  Read accounts by Steve Schmidt and Nichole Wallace (at the time loyal republican conservatives) about what Palin was like personally and politically.  The only politician I can think of that I like less than Pain us Trump.  I dislike other pundits on an equal plane - Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh,Savage.

I have generally favorable opinions of Haley, Fiorina, Kasich, Romney, Bushes, McCain.  So it isn’t knee jerk disdain for Palin as far as I am concerned.   Also, not sure whose hypocrisy you are pointing out when referring to Obama - Damon’s or Palin supporters’.   The non-hypocritical view(at least in terms of experience) would be that they were both under-qualified.  And I believe that was the only thing they had in common

Re: Kamala Harris VEEP Running Mate for Biden
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline gift

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 215
Are you really comparing Obama to Sarah Palin?

Palin is not disliked, she just was not qualified for president.

Palin was, and still is, disliked though.

Should also probably parse qualifications to be president. Obama had the temperament and intellectual background, but not the professional resume. Palin probably had none of that, but did have a short stint of executive experience albeit in a "small" state and would have spent time as VP before ever becoming president if it came to that.

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 835
If Biden had picked Romney I think it would have been a landslide victory for his campaign.  Not disagreeing with his pick, just that Romney would have had a higher % chance of victory.
wasn't going to happen.  no way Dems were coughing up the VP slot to a Rep especially when some are expecting Biden to not last the full term.  Dems would have been slitting their wrists if that were to come to pass.

There's plenty of Dems, including Harris, that were qualified for the position.  Also consider that the VP selection was going to be essentially who'd be carrying the Dem leadership mantle going forward.  Another big reason Biden wouldn't have picked a Rep as his running mate.

Biden should have no problem getting the popular vote and I suspect a pretty secure electoral college win.  Trump has his core and not much else.  The only way for Trump to win this is to take the focus off his track record and squeeze out an electoral win via the swing states just like last time.  Having Biden instead of Clinton as his opponent really cuts into that approach due to Biden's well established links to supporting unions and working class people in those areas.

I love Romney, I'd easily prefer him over either of these two candidates. But, as a VP pick who will carry the country forward to the future, he's no spring chicken either. He's 73 years old.

Can't either party come up with some qualified people who are not in their 70's?

That's what makes Harris so attractive as a VP choice imo. She's young AND qualified. Whereas Palin was young and totally unqualified. Her lack of qualification was a very valid concern as McCain would have barely made it to the end of a first term before his brain cancer diagnosis. The concerns that either Biden or Trump don't make it through the next term are very valid.

The dislike for Palin has always seemed weird to me. I remember Matt Damon insulting her by saying he didn't want a "hockey mom" in control of the little red button. Way to belittle half of America. But how in the world was she "totally" unqualified to be vice president, yet a community organizer who was basically an absentee senator was somehow qualified to be president? That math doesn't add up for me.

If anything, I think the liberal disdain for Palin shows part of the ugly underbelly of the progressive movement: A lot of progressives are elitists who dislike rural areas and the people who are from those areas. And since I'm originally from a rural area, and happily so, that disdain doesn't sit well with me, and frankly is enough, all by itself, to make me never want to give any progressive a hearing (though I have plenty of other reasons besides).

I think I can say that there have been very few conservatives that I have liked less than Sarah Palin. Unqualified, unprepared and, if anything in her defense - unfairly nominated.  Read accounts by Steve Schmidt and Nichole Wallace (at the time loyal republican conservatives) about what Palin was like personally and politically.  The only politician I can think of that I like less than Pain us Trump.  I dislike other pundits on an equal plane - Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh,Savage.

I have generally favorable opinions of Haley, Fiorina, Kasich, Romney, Bushes, McCain.  So it isn’t knee jerk disdain for Palin as far as I am concerned.   Also, not sure whose hypocrisy you are pointing out when referring to Obama - Damon’s or Palin supporters’.   The non-hypocritical view(at least in terms of experience) would be that they were both under-qualified.  And I believe that was the only thing they had in common

Yeah, I have nothing against people from rural areas. My parents came from a very small village in Greece where the vast majority of inhabitants don't even go to high school. There are plenty of great, smart people there.

I want my leaders to be knowledgeable and experienced. It has nothing to do with being from a rural area. Palin was completely lacking in both categories. I agree with the point thought that it was largely not her fault. She should have never been nominated for that position in the first place. She was put in a really tough spot , she was completely unprepared even for the campaign never mind the office of VP, and it painfully showed.

« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1375

Should also probably parse qualifications to be president. Obama had the temperament and intellectual background, but not the professional resume. Palin probably had none of that, but did have a short stint of executive experience albeit in a "small" state and would have spent time as VP before ever becoming president if it came to that.

no way to parse this... Palin got a chance... she flopped big time. Think about it, what did she do after that chance she got? NADA.

Obama got a chance he hit it out of the park. He got reelected.

« Reply #364 on: August 12, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones

professional resume? Whaat is that. Obama was eminently qualified to be president. He surely did not miss a beat. The proof is in the pudding. He won the election and he performed well.

« Reply #365 on: August 12, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 210

I think Palin is strongly disliked by many liberals, at least in my experience. Why else would she be mocked as much as she was (and still is)?

And yes, I'm comparing them, obviously. Namely, I'm comparing their qualifications (at that time). The fact that you're questioning my act of comparing just proves (in my view) the blind spot many people have when it comes to the Great and Powerful Obama, as though he's some mighty oracle, one whose enchanting speeches could sway even the most ardent opponents, and who is miles above everyone else in intelligence.

You also seem to have missed my main point: that Palin was heavily criticized and deemed unqualified as a candidate for vice president (one who only might end up as president) while the unqualified Obama was deemed fit to actually be president. He'd never been a mayor a governor (both of which Palin was, but I guess Alaska is a dumb hick state that doesn't count), nor was he ever an ambassador or a cabinet-level official, never ran a big company, never was in the military. He was an absentee senator (judging by his senate voting record), and an absentee professor (judging by comments from one of his colleagues at the time). Yet he was qualified to be leader of the free world? Based on what?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2020, 06:31:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1827

I think Palin is strongly disliked by many liberals, at least in my experience. Why else would she be mocked as much as she was (and still is)?

And yes, I'm comparing them, obviously. Namely, I'm comparing their qualifications (at that time). The fact that you're questioning my act of comparing just proves (in my view) the blind spot many people have when it comes to the Great and Powerful Obama, as though he's some mighty oracle, one whose enchanting speeches could sway even the most ardent opponents, and who is miles above everyone else in intelligence.

You also seem to have missed my main point: that Palin was heavily criticized and deemed unqualified as a candidate for vice president (one who only might end up as president) while the unqualified Obama was deemed fit to actually be president. He'd never been a mayor a governor (both of which Palin was, but I guess Alaska is a dumb hick state that doesn't count), nor was he ever an ambassador or a cabinet-level official, never ran a big company, never was in the military. He was an absentee senator (judging by his senate voting record), and an absentee professor (judging by comments from one of his colleagues at the time). Yet he was qualified to be leader of the free world? Based on what?

I’m really confused about the “dumb hick state” thought — that never crossed my mind.  I thought Mayor Pete was under-experienced, Obama under-experiences, Stacey A under-experienced, Trump under-experienced.

One of my favorite candidates on the Dem side was Steve Bullock from sparsely populated Montana.

Are you trying to make the argument that Palin and Obama were both under-qualified - or just Obama?  And if you acknowledge that Palin was under-qualified, I guess then you agree with at least part of the rationale for why many didn’t think she was ready to be VP or POTUS.  We can also add that she eventually proved to have neither the temperament, knowledge nor political acumen for the position. All having nothing whatsoever to do with being from Alaska (imo). 

« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones

To debate you is to give your argument credence. Not even the passage of time will erase how extremely unqualifed Palin was. She said her foreign affairs credentials included the fact that she could see Russia from her back yard? She could not name a book or magazine she had read? She mumbled words together incoherently to answer questions. You know who agrees that Palin was not qualified? Palin, everything she has done since she was nominated proves she was not qualifed. You should not be knocking Alaska you should be asking how the heck did she become a governor of any State. She should never have been elected as dog catcher. The fact that you would compare her to Barak Obama is downright shocking. I am not Obama's biggest defender, but please I will not allow this one to go without opposition.

« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2020, 06:58:55 PM »

• Tiny Archibald

To debate you is to give your argument credence. Not even the passage of time will erase how extremely unqualifed Palin was. She said her foreign affairs credentials included the fact that she could see Russia from her back yard? She could not name a book or magazine she had read? She mumbled words together incoherently to answer questions. You know who agrees that Palin was not qualified? Palin, everything she has done since she was nominated proves she was not qualifed. You should not be knocking Alaska you should be asking how the heck did she become a governor of any State. She should never have been elected as dog catcher. The fact that you would compare her to Barak Obama is downright shocking. I am not Obama's biggest defender, but please I will not allow this one to go without opposition.

Easy, there. I'm not trying to start WWIII. The only point I've been trying to make is that liberals were being hypocritical by, on one hand, saying Palin was unqualified, while on the other hand saying that Obama was qualified (and even more than that, actually, basically making him out to be one of the greatest individuals to ever tread this planet ... which I guess is why he got a Nobel prize before he did anything?)

But we can just agree to disagree.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »

• Tiny Archibald

I’m really confused about the “dumb hick state” thought — that never crossed my mind.  I thought Mayor Pete was under-experienced, Obama under-experiences, Stacey A under-experienced, Trump under-experienced.

One of my favorite candidates on the Dem side was Steve Bullock from sparsely populated Montana.

Are you trying to make the argument that Palin and Obama were both under-qualified - or just Obama?  And if you acknowledge that Palin was under-qualified, I guess then you agree with at least part of the rationale for why many didn’t think she was ready to be VP or POTUS.  We can also add that she eventually proved to have neither the temperament, knowledge nor political acumen for the position. All having nothing whatsoever to do with being from Alaska (imo).

"Dumb hick state" is the wording I'm using to encapsulate what people like Matt Damon expressed about Sarah Palin. In his view, Palin was unqualified because she was a "hockey mom" and the governor of an unpopulous state. Which, in my view, was a ridiculous way for him to view her and to evaluate her.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #370 on: August 12, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones

Easy, there. I'm not trying to start WWIII. The only point I've been trying to make is that liberals were being hypocritical by, on one hand, saying Palin was unqualified, while on the other hand saying that Obama was qualified (and even more than that, actually, basically making him out to be one of the greatest individuals to ever tread this planet ... which I guess is why he got a Nobel prize before he did anything?)

lol and TP for the WWIII pun. But you seem to forget that 'Obama was the one we had been waiting for' lol.

« Reply #371 on: August 12, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2742

Not sure where you're going with this one, Rock.

I love Barack and Michelle to this day but NEVER felt the urge to wear a T-Shirt with them on it. Wish I could say the same for a few folks I saw wearing MAGA shirts at the Navy Exchange here locally - a few years ago......at the height of Trump's eminence.

I wonder how those same MAGA wearing folks feel about the Confederate Flag ban?

In my life time I've yet to see ANY President worth worshipping. But I "HAVE" seen some Evangelicals turn a BLIND EYE towards things Trump has said...done.

It is frankly disgusting.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #372 on: August 12, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Johnny Most

"Dumb hick state" is the wording I'm using to encapsulate what people like Matt Damon expressed about Sarah Palin. In his view, Palin was unqualified because she was a "hockey mom" and the governor of an unpopulous state. Which, in my view, was a ridiculous way for him to view her and to evaluate her.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Matt Damon is posting in our forums. Who cares what Matt Damon says about politics?

« Reply #373 on: August 12, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 552
Voting blue, voting Biden/Harris even though they weren't my first choice.

Time to send dimwit Trump and his dimwit cronies out the office.

« Reply #374 on: August 12, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Johnny Most

There are a lot of examples where you can make strong arguments about Liberal bias. Comparing Palin's lack of qualifications to Obama's is one of the worst options you can choose though. Pretty much everyone from both parties agrees that Palin was one of the least qualified VP candidates in recent history. She completely sunk McCaine , he would have been president and a darn good one too if he had chosen Joe Lieberman.