Author Topic: VP Kamala Harris / The Democratic Convention  (Read 24082 times)

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 884
I do wonder how much longer Biden intends on waiting to make a pick for VP.

A month ago a heard they would announce the week before the convention.  Not sure where I heard. But if that’s correct the convention is August 17 so the announcement (or leaks) should be in about 2 weeks.

My preference ranking:
Stacey A
KLB
Val D
Kamala
Susan

I’m good with all of them.

My guess is Kamala.

I would not like to see Harris as the president. She is just too much of a bomb thrower.  Watch her from the Kavanaugh hearings.  I think her instinct is to attack and divide.

Agree 100%. She does not have the temperament to be POTUS, and i think she is a dangerous choice.

Kamala is the Dragan Bender of this VP class. If you don't look closely, she seems great and "checks a lot of boxes." But she is all smoke and mirrors.

She ran a campaign plagued by nepotism and dysfunction. Her debate performances were poor outside of a few soundbites. She struggled to find a coherent message, and failed to articulate realistic policies. She took a lot of cheap shots against other Dems, especially Biden, and reportedly laughed it off when confronted about it by a Biden campaign staffer.

Add to that her general phoniness, her questionable record as a prosecutor, and even the weird (corrupt?) Willie Brown affair stuff, and you have a candidate with a lot of red flags.

No, thank you.

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1827
I do wonder how much longer Biden intends on waiting to make a pick for VP.

A month ago a heard they would announce the week before the convention.  Not sure where I heard. But if that’s correct the convention is August 17 so the announcement (or leaks) should be in about 2 weeks.

My preference ranking:
Stacey A
KLB
Val D
Kamala
Susan

I’m good with all of them.

My guess is Kamala.

I would not like to see Harris as the president. She is just too much of a bomb thrower.  Watch her from the Kavanaugh hearings.  I think her instinct is to attack and divide.

Agree 100%. She does not have the temperament to be POTUS, and i think she is a dangerous choice.

Kamala is the Dragan Bender of this VP class. If you don't look closely, she seems great and "checks a lot of boxes." But she is all smoke and mirrors.

She ran a campaign plagued by nepotism and dysfunction. Her debate performances were poor outside of a few soundbites. She struggled to find a coherent message, and failed to articulate realistic policies. She took a lot of cheap shots against other Dems, especially Biden, and reportedly laughed it off when confronted about it by a Biden campaign staffer.

Add to that her general phoniness, her questionable record as a prosecutor, and even the weird (corrupt?) Willie Brown affair stuff, and you have a candidate with a lot of red flags.

No, thank you.

I don't disagree with that.  My post had her as my 4th out of 5 in terms of my choice but I thought (at the time) that she was most likely going to be the pick.  That was so last week.   I don't see her as the likely pick anymore. 

I am leaning now to Karen Bass or Val Demings, with Susan Rice as a strong contender.  I'm still pretty impressed with Stacey Abrams, but I have a feeling that she might not be the partner that Joe is looking for.  Bass seems like she may be the best match for Joe. 

« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2020, 11:56:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27097
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Biden has delayed the pick again, at least another week.

There’s some speculation on conservative blogs that it was going to be Karen Bass until her links to Scientology were reported on. 
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2020, 07:37:13 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1375
well it looks like Susan Rice ...come on downnnnn!!!

Looks like Biden really doesnt know who to pick, really weird. Does not say a lot for decision making ability of Biden.

« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »

Offline gift

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 214
I just want to take a minute to say that I genuinely feel for Joe Biden on a personal level. I do think it's clear he's losing some elasticity when it comes to communication and speech (maybe more). I don't know the extent to which his acuity will or will not affect his presidency. But the world is moving at such a fast pace and it has to be frustrating trying to keep up, knowing that things probably won't get better. I hope the right people are put around him. People who will honestly do their best for the country, but who will also be kind and loyal to Biden as a person.

*personal level mode switching off*

« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1375
I just want to take a minute to say that I genuinely feel for Joe Biden on a personal level. I do think it's clear he's losing some elasticity when it comes to communication and speech (maybe more). I don't know the extent to which his acuity will or will not affect his presidency. But the world is moving at such a fast pace and it has to be frustrating trying to keep up, knowing that things probably won't get better. I hope the right people are put around him. People who will honestly do their best for the country, but who will also be kind and loyal to Biden as a person.

It really does not help that he locked himself into not picking the BEST  person for the job.

« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2742
I REALLY think we should ALL be careful when looking at / judging - whether Joe Biden is up for the job.

I believe he IS.

Whether or not he speaks well...speaks with energy...."enthralls" us....keeps us glued to our seats.....is not important.

After all - look where we are NOW as a country - with someone who DOES speak like what I just mentioned in my last sentence....as divided and STRESSED as we've EVER been as a country.

I'm over the sound bytes.....the verbal takedowns....the twitter fights....the childish nicknames.....................

I want substance and Joe Biden does it for ME, at least.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58

It really does not help that he locked himself into not picking the BEST  person for the job.
I hear what you’re saying. I didn’t get the part where the VP had to meet certain physical characteristics...
No matter who he chooses it will give plenty of options for Trump to attack them.
In the end of the day though if Biden is destined to win the person or entity that will run the presidency will not be the VP but whoever is running his campaign....maybe that’s Obamas circles again

« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

Offline celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 23

That’s why I’m really going to be disappointed if the debates don’t happen (and is probably exactly why they won’t happen.) I am sure Trump is aware of how thin skinned Joe is. Trump doesn’t like criticism either but most often he will use humor to push back and he does seem to enjoy sparring with reporters. So it’s a bit lighter in touch. Biden gets really ticked and he has this odd sense of privilege; a strange idea that criticizing him shouldn’t be done. “C’mon man” is about the best he can do as a retort.

« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell

That’s why I’m really going to be disappointed if the debates don’t happen (and is probably exactly why they won’t happen.) I am sure Trump is aware of how thin skinned Joe is. Trump doesn’t like criticism either but most often he will use humor to push back and he does seem to enjoy sparring with reporters. So it’s a bit lighter in touch. Biden gets really ticked and he has this odd sense of privilege; a strange idea that criticizing him shouldn’t be done. “C’mon man” is about the best he can do as a retort.

I've never got this from Joe Biden.

If you mean his comments about Race and his contentious back and forth with Charlamagne Tha God then I'd guess we could decipher it as him being mis-informed and coming off the wrong way.

But Joe Biden's HEART has always been in the right place. I trust him.

Now....have the SAME conversations about Race with SOMEONE ELSE? They're always right and seemingly say whatever they want to - not caring about the repercussions.

One person apologizes and tries to explain himself better - the other doesn't and in his mind doesn't make mistakes.

One will try to bring the country back together....the other continuously divides it seems.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1827
I feel a little for Joe.  He’s got to debate but it’s probably a no-win proposition. Trump is reckless and relentless and Joe reacts with emotion - which as Jonathan Swan displayed - is the wrong way to go.  Also, Joe heads into a historically profound mess. The economy  is likely to struggle and the virus may well impact his entire presidency.  The country’s division is creating wider divides in congress and activists rather than pragmatists are likely to push dramatically diverse agendas.  The power and dysfunction of bullying modeled by our POTUS has created a roadmap for some verbally skilled loudmouths to rise and for zealotry to thrive.  Biden will have quite a chore to pull a convincing coalition together.  I agree that he needs to have a really great team around him.

That said, I am counting the minutes to Election Day - I wish it was tomorrow.  Hoping with all I got that Biden thrashes him.  I am not just anti-Trump I am pro-Joe.

« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 230
Why should I feel bad for a racist, lying, warmongering corpatist in Joe Biden who'll just submit to the big banks? As he enthusiastically said to his investors: Nothing will fundamentally change. Probably the most coherent statement he said all of his campaign.

« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2020, 07:24:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27097
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
“Yes,” Biden said when NPR’s Lulu Garcia-Navarro asked if he’d “reengage with Cuba” on the topic. “And by the way,” he continued, “what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African-American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things. You go to Florida, and you find a very different attitude about immigration in certain places than you do when you’re in Arizona.”

Huh.  Blacks aren’t diverse. I suppose that’s because anybody who doesn’t conform isn’t actually black, right Joe?

I cannot believe that this man served under an African-American president. He actively judges and evaluates people by race, making assumptions about them. It’s unreal to me that this is the guy the Democrats are running in 2020.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2020, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
“Yes,” Biden said when NPR’s Lulu Garcia-Navarro asked if he’d “reengage with Cuba” on the topic. “And by the way,” he continued, “what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African-American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things. You go to Florida, and you find a very different attitude about immigration in certain places than you do when you’re in Arizona.”

Huh.  Blacks aren’t diverse. I suppose that’s because anybody who doesn’t conform isn’t actually black, right Joe?

I cannot believe that this man served under an African-American president. He actively judges and evaluates people by race, making assumptions about them. It’s unreal to me that this is the guy the Democrats are running in 2020.

I saw that comment, Roy. Another gaff by Mr. Biden.

His campaign manager cleared it up for him as to what he MEANT, though.

Joe has been around Blacks enough in his life to be himself AND be empathetic enough to begin to understand.

Heck - I've been Black / African American MY ENTIRE LIFE and my thoughts / mindset / lifestyle / life experience - has been different from some of my fellow Blacks / African Americans. This has NOW been 51 years, thankfully.

I have YET to see the mythic Book - "What it means to be Black?" written by ANYONE....don't believe ANYONE completely corners the market on Blackness.

We are NOT monolithic - I am sure Joe knows this.

Barack Obama trusts him enough and evidently still does. "I" trust Joe Biden.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2020, 08:11:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 835

When he's up against an all out openly racist opponent who embraces the confederacy thought, Biden's gafs are practically invisible. Republicans would be wise to stay away from trying to portray him as racist in any way when their candidate has consistently lead the charge to promote modern day racism in America.