Author Topic: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden  (Read 15182 times)

Ogaju, hpantazo, GreenEnvy, Neurotic Guy, jambr380, blink and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »

Online slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9356
I think it'll Grethen Whitmer depending on how this insurrection in Michigan plays out.  after her, I'd put Kamala Harris second and Klobuchar third.

I could totally see Harris getting the AG nomination.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Warren and Klobuchar getting cabinet positions if they aren't the VP selections.

Your scenario plucks three Democrats from the Senate so it only happens if those are considered safe seats for the Democrats. One thing for sure in all of this is that Kamala Harris is on the move. She will be VP, AG, or S. Ct. I dont think she is ready for VP or experienced enough, but everyone seems to like her especially President Obama. Not sure Biden would pick a fierce opponent as AG you need a fierce ally in that office. Maybe she get the SCOTUS.
totally agree that the VP would be either someone that they know will be replaced by another Dem if Biden wins (Mass will elect another Dem in place of Warren) and I don't think it's a stretch that a Dem could follow Whitmer or Klobuchar if they win as VP.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 446
Can he pick AOC or is she too young? If Biden wants to attract the super left leaning voters (the ones that carried Bernie Sanders), wouldn't she be a good choice?

Sorry. Not quite adept at how the Presidential/Vice-Presidential selection in the US works.

Too young.  Also probably too toxic.
Probably too toxic?  Hard to imagine a worse Biden could make than AOC. 

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 02:40:54 AM »

Online slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9356
I think it'll Grethen Whitmer depending on how this insurrection in Michigan plays out.  after her, I'd put Kamala Harris second and Klobuchar third.

I could totally see Harris getting the AG nomination.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Warren and Klobuchar getting cabinet positions if they aren't the VP selections.

Whitmer is too much of a liability at this point.  She'll do nothing but hurt Biden by riling up republicans.

VP picks need to be someone competent but bland and who won't hurt the ticket.  McCain is the prime example of this.  He probably had the Presidency in the bag until he selected Palin.

Harris is a possibility, but I still think Klobuchar is the safest pick.
other than the recent uproar over ending the 'stay at home' restrictions, what's the Rep's issue with Whitmer?  that she beat a Rep for the Governorship?

Also, McCain would have lost no matter who he picked for VP.  Palin was a sideshow and loved by a lot of Reps.  Mccain's biggest issue was how much he voted with Bush.  well over 90%.  that's what doomed him.  Country was ready to move on from the Bush/Cheney era. 

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1768
Can he pick AOC or is she too young? If Biden wants to attract the super left leaning voters (the ones that carried Bernie Sanders), wouldn't she be a good choice?

Sorry. Not quite adept at how the Presidential/Vice-Presidential selection in the US works.

Too young.  Also probably too toxic.
Probably too toxic?  Hard to imagine a worse Biden could make than AOC.

Would be a Palin-esque choice. 

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
Just saw Amy on Smerconish.   You know -- she isn't inspirational or highly compelling. Greatness doesn't exude from her being.   However, she's very good.  She's bright, solid, experienced, focused, sane, professional.  There seem to be no skeletons unless you consider the "tough to work for" reputation to be one.  I think Amy is someone that moderates or right-leaners can comfortably vote for.  She has a midwestern style that may appeal to that critical part of the country.  She's also young enough to balance the age thing and, along with her left-leaning (but not ultra-liberal) politics that evokes the feel of pragmatism over  ideology, I think she gives people some comfort that should Joe really turn out to be too old, it will be OK.   

I don't think she's in the driver's seat, but I hope she ends up on the ticket.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »

Offline celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21
If you want a VP pick to help in the general election Whitmer could help filp Michigan back. I have been impressed by Whitmer's press conferences, she seems intelligent and thoughtful.

If the goal of Whitmer on the ticket is to deliver Michigan then Biden will look elsewhere. The virus has been an intelligence test for the governors and Whitmer flunked. She was late in doing anything and then she went Chicken Little when the infections erupted, trying to blame the Feds and her own citizens. Some liberal governors, like Gavin Newsom of California, reacted intelligently. He saw what the Bay Area counties were doing, and he followed their example statewide. He has solicited and obtained lots of help from private industry in solving problems. Whitmer doesnít have the goods; she is not a leader and will likely give Michigan to Trump after her botched handling of the virus.

I was honestly surprised when Biden announced he was selecting a female for VP so early in the process.

Yeah, it was really a dumb move on his part.

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 07:24:58 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1283
If you want a VP pick to help in the general election Whitmer could help filp Michigan back. I have been impressed by Whitmer's press conferences, she seems intelligent and thoughtful.

If the goal of Whitmer on the ticket is to deliver Michigan then Biden will look elsewhere. The virus has been an intelligence test for the governors and Whitmer flunked. She was late in doing anything and then she went Chicken Little when the infections erupted, trying to blame the Feds and her own citizens. Some liberal governors, like Gavin Newsom of California, reacted intelligently. He saw what the Bay Area counties were doing, and he followed their example statewide. He has solicited and obtained lots of help from private industry in solving problems. Whitmer doesnít have the goods; she is not a leader and will likely give Michigan to Trump after her botched handling of the virus.

I was honestly surprised when Biden announced he was selecting a female for VP so early in the process.

This post reeks of wishful thinking, it is okay for Biden to state he is picking a woman if he had made the decision. It is actually refreshing for politicians to be transparent for a change. It appears that the Trump campaign is genuinely concerned about Whitmer and that is why they are doing all they can to disparage her just like they tried with Biden. You saying that Whitmer is a bad choice is actually a feather in her cap.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White

This post reeks of wishful thinking, it is okay for Biden to state he is picking a woman if he had made the decision. It is actually refreshing for politicians to be transparent for a change. It appears that the Trump campaign is genuinely concerned about Whitmer and that is why they are doing all they can to disparage her just like they tried with Biden. You saying that Whitmer is a bad choice is actually a feather in her cap.

If Biden knew exactly who he was going to choose, then I agree with you  that it was ok to say Iím choosing a woman. In that case it was like giving a hint.   But I donít think he knew then and i donít think he knows now who it will be  .  I donít think itís a good message to say Iím going to choose the best woman.  You say you will choose the best person.  If that is a woman then so be it.  Even if you're inclined to pick a woman for whatever reason i think itís unwise to say anything other than you are going to select the best person for the job. 

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Heís not the only one pointing out that Whitmer could become a liability, though:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/16/gretchen-whitmer-may-have-just-taken-herself-out-veepstakes/

https://www.newsweek.com/2020/05/01/michigan-governor-gretchen-whitmers-strict-new-social-distancing-rules-may-save-lives-high-1498396.html

I mean, when liberal stalwarts like the Washington Post and Newsweek are seeing red flags, maybe it is not just conservative wishful thinking?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:52:41 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479
You saying that Whitmer is a bad choice is actually a feather in her cap.

That's quite audacious, to say the least.

That's also essentially admitting you think that the more your opponent dislikes you the better the job you are doing is.  It's certainly not going to bring anyone together, if that was ever a goal.

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey

If Biden knew exactly who he was going to choose, then I agree with you  that it was ok to say Iím choosing a woman. In that case it was like giving a hint.   But I donít think he knew then and i donít think he knows now who it will be  .  I donít think itís a good message to say Iím going to choose the best woman.  You say you will choose the best person.  If that is a woman then so be it.  Even if you're inclined to pick a woman for whatever reason i think itís unwise to say anything other than you are going to select the best person for the job.

you would be right if they always picked the best person for the job. Was Palin the best person for the job? Was Kane? I mean these folks almost never go searching for the best person for the job. The circumstances in the Democratic party was such that a woman could not be denied on the ticket.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
You saying that Whitmer is a bad choice is actually a feather in her cap.

That's quite audacious, to say the least.

That's also essentially admitting you think that the more your opponent dislikes you the better the job you are doing is.  It's certainly not going to bring anyone together, if that was ever a goal.

No quite audacious when you consider when you consider the context of the poster I was responding to.

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1119

This post just isn't factual.  Michigan's stay at home order went into effect March 24 at 12:01 am (so basically end of March 23rd), that was about 28 hours after New York and 4 hours after Ohio, as comparisons of two states widely praised for their response.  I mean this is from the Newsweek article Roy posted

Whitmer vaulted to national attention largely because of her bold, early actions to combat the coronavirus in hard-hit Michiganóthe state has the fourth-largest number of COVID-19 cases in the country (29,263, as of April 16) after New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts and the third-highest death toll (2,093)óalong with her public demands for more federal resources. But where those initial efforts met with wide approval from citizens and broad bipartisan support, her latest, toughest-in-the-nation social distancing restrictions have elicited a very different response.

Michigan's now has the most stringent in the country stay at home rules as it now is having big box stores close things like landscaping and other improvement sections.  That is what prompted the most recent protests and the reason she closed those things is in her opinion far too many people were still venturing out to purchase those non-essential items further risking the spread (Michigan after all has the 4th largest amount of positives in the nation).  I mean the Republican Governor in Ohio has faced a constant barrage of protests for closing things and with a steady chorus of people claiming he overreacted so I'm not sure a few protests mean much of anything.  Now I do think Whitmer probably went a bit far with the latest restrictions as she really didn't need to extend them outside of the greater Detroit area (if at all) as most of the state is doing just fine (it is something like 80% of their cases are in Detroit and like 90% if you include Detroit and the surrounding counties).  Sometimes though it is better to just have a hard and fast rule and not encourage people to travel great distances for non-essential items.  Also quite possible that she has been seeing the numbers and sees trends and that might have been a negative trending area. 
Historical Draft - Portland Trailblazers
PG - Magic Johnson, Tony Parker
SG - Clyde Drexler, Dennis Johnson, Alvin Robertson
SF - James Worthy, Alex English
PF - Charles Barkley, Ben Wallace
C - Moses Malone, George Mikan, Brad Daugherty

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34:19 PM »

Offline celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21
An intriguing name being floated out recently for Biden's VP is Tammy Duckworth. How do you guys feel about her?

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479
If I was a betting man my money would be on Abrams.  She sure is acting like it's her job to lose.