Author Topic: VP Kamala Harris / The Democratic Convention  (Read 25480 times)

VP Kamala Harris / The Democratic Convention
« on: April 16, 2020, 11:31:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1394
This one is easy because he has already said it is going to be a woman.

I already posted here that my choice for his VP is HRC but after testing this choice I have learned how unforgiving of 'losers' the country seems to be even when that 'loser' has 60 million votes in the bag and a three million vote majority in the last election. Most people I sampled would not even consider HRC. If that is the case perhaps neither will Biden.

The name that keeps coming up is Kamala Harris. Folks, she is fails the most important test for a Biden VP - ready on day 1. Biden's VP for obvious reasons must be ready on day 1. She most like will be the de facto president. This is why I believe HRC to be the natural choice, but I have stopped believing that will happen. It will be a pleasant surprise if it does, but I have moved on to the next natural choice - Stacey Abram. That woman is smart and she will be a quick study. I cannot say she will be ready on day 1, but she checks a lot of boxes.

Who are your choices?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:46:19 AM by Roy H. »

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:04:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2741
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's going to be Kamala Harris but I'd rather Elizabeth Warren.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »

Offline blink

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 833
It's going to be Kamala Harris but I'd rather Elizabeth Warren.

Warren VP
Harris AG

or at least that is my completely random guess.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1531
Klobuchar would be my ideal choice. Warren would be my worst case scenario.

I'd also be okay with Tulsi, but she's probably not even on Biden's radar.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1121
Been saying for awhile I think it will be Gretchen Whitmer
Historical Draft - Portland Trailblazers
PG - Magic Johnson, Tony Parker
SG - Clyde Drexler, Dennis Johnson, Alvin Robertson
SF - James Worthy, Alex English
PF - Charles Barkley, Ben Wallace
C - Moses Malone, George Mikan, Brad Daugherty

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:48:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2751
If Mrs. Harris doesn't get VEEP she's going to the U.S. Supreme Court, I hope...

Either way we're going to have a smart, empathetic, common sense group of folks here in about 9 months.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1121
Historical Draft - Portland Trailblazers
PG - Magic Johnson, Tony Parker
SG - Clyde Drexler, Dennis Johnson, Alvin Robertson
SF - James Worthy, Alex English
PF - Charles Barkley, Ben Wallace
C - Moses Malone, George Mikan, Brad Daugherty

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27084
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I understand a lot of the names, but can somebody explain what makes Stacey Abrams remotely qualified?  Besides “black woman”, of course.

She’s had an impressive career for an average person.  But for VP (and very possibly President), not so much.  Failed candidate for governor; served several terms in her state legislature.

No executive experience, no national legislative experience. 

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9387
I think it'll Grethen Whitmer depending on how this insurrection in Michigan plays out.  after her, I'd put Kamala Harris second and Klobuchar third.

I could totally see Harris getting the AG nomination.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Warren and Klobuchar getting cabinet positions if they aren't the VP selections.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 144
The candidate I wanted is not eligible....found that she was born in Canada....Jennifer Grandholm  former governor of Michigan

If it's Abrams or Warren, I'll abstain

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I think it'll Grethen Whitmer depending on how this insurrection in Michigan plays out.  after her, I'd put Kamala Harris second and Klobuchar third.

I could totally see Harris getting the AG nomination.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Warren and Klobuchar getting cabinet positions if they aren't the VP selections.

Your scenario plucks three Democrats from the Senate so it only happens if those are considered safe seats for the Democrats. One thing for sure in all of this is that Kamala Harris is on the move. She will be VP, AG, or S. Ct. I dont think she is ready for VP or experienced enough, but everyone seems to like her especially President Obama. Not sure Biden would pick a fierce opponent as AG you need a fierce ally in that office. Maybe she get the SCOTUS.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27084
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Kamala Harris would be fine as an AG.  I understand the appeal as VP.

But Supreme Court?  First, she’d have to recuse herself from any legislation she voted on.  Second, she’d further politicize the Court.  Third, she’s under qualified.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1856
I think Biden-Klobuchar may have been my initial choice way back in the early days.  I soured from Biden for a while and then returned.  But I’ve always been pretty high on Amy.   I think she is a solid choice from the correct part of the country - right age, right experience level - seems like a person who can handle the job.   Not sure if Biden likes her or not — as in personally likes her — as I think that might matter to him. 

Too bad that I don’t like Warren because there are aspects of her abilities that I think rise high in this field.   Not crazy about Kamala as a strong enough voice or personality - she lacks something to me at that level of office. 

I see no one as a slam dunk choice. 

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 833
If it is really down to Warren, Klobachar, Harris and Gretchen Whitmer then it seems like a pretty strong group.

I think any one of them could be a great VP.   They have vastly different strengths and weaknesses both experience wise and politically though. 

If you want a VP pick to help in the general election Whitmer could help filp Michigan back, and Klobachar might appeal across the board really well.  That might be the most important thing, I dunno.  Warren might (but might not) help bring in the Bernie people to not stay on the sidelines.  But lots of middle of the road voters might not want Warren.  I have been impressed by Whitmer's press conferences, she seems intelligent and thoughtful (I know that is no way to judge her potential ability as a VP, but that is all the info I have on her)

If you are picking someone to step in if something bad happened to Joe, I think it is a different choice.  If I had to choose who I think is best prepared to be President, I would say Warren.  I think she has the best combination of knowledge, poise, empathy, experience, toughness and best handle on policy to be able to step in if something terrible happens.

I was honestly surprised when Biden announced he was selecting a female for VP so early in the process.  But there are so many qualified women, and his best options all seem like women anyway, so maybe it wasn't even that big of a move to make.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
This one is easy because he has already said it is going to be a woman.

I already posted here that my choice for his VP is HRC but after testing this choice I have learned how unforgiving of 'losers' the country seems to be even when that 'loser' has 60 million votes in the bag and a three million vote majority in the last election. Most people I sampled would not even consider HRC. If that is the case perhaps neither will Biden.

The name that keeps coming up is Kamala Harris. Folks, she is fails the most important test for a Biden VP - ready on day 1. Biden's VP for obvious reasons must be ready on day 1. She most like will be the de facto president. This is why I believe HRC to be the natural choice, but I have stopped believing that will happen. It will be a pleasant surprise if it does, but I have moved on to the next natural choice - Stacey Abram. That woman is smart and she will be a quick study. I cannot say she will be ready on day 1, but she checks a lot of boxes.

Who are your choices?
Just FYI, my opinions below are based on electoral strategy, not the potential VPs skills or how good a job they would do.

The problem with HRC isn't that she's a 'loser'. The most important rule for choice of VP, from an strategic standpoint, is 'do no harm'. Obviously one needs to choose someone that can fulfill the duties of president if called upon. But from the standpoint of the election a candidate needs to choose a VP that doesn't hurt the ticket. All the talk of who can help the ticket is really overblown. The VP choice has essentially no positive effect on a candidate's chance of winning, but a flawed candidate can hurt.

Hilary's main problem is that Republicans hate her as much as Democrats hate Trump, which means she fires up their base and helps them get the vote out. A less divisive candidate like Klobuchar or Harris won't have that problem. Warren might make liberals happy, but in truth liberals will hold their noses and vote for Biden anyways and while she doesn't have Hilary's negatives, she is also disliked by Republicans so she is not a great choice. Biden shouldn't worry about who can help the ticket and focus instead on who is least likely to hurt. People vote for the presidential candidate not the VP candidate.