Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Trump names Richard Grenell as acting Director of National Intelligence.  (Read 1999 times)

Re: Trump names Richard Grenell as acting Director of National Intelligence.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2607
By the end of the day, almost all of the roles created after 9/11 literally to prevent the next 9/11 will be either vacant or lack permanent appointees.

https://www.wired.com/story/trump-hollowed-out-us-national-security-vacancies-acting/

Regardless of parry affiliation, I donít know how this could make anyone feel safer.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 798
By the end of the day, almost all of the roles created after 9/11 literally to prevent the next 9/11 will be either vacant or lack permanent appointees.

https://www.wired.com/story/trump-hollowed-out-us-national-security-vacancies-acting/

Regardless of parry affiliation, I donít know how this could make anyone feel safer.

What makes it even more amazing is that this is happening even though the Senate is controlled by the President's own party.   It's not like you can blame oppositional partisanship for Trump's inability to fill these (and many other positions).

The thing that they've put a huge priority on filling has been judgeships.  Because that is about painting the judicial branch long term with a partisan brush.   

They do not regard the positions tasked with the actual execution of government functions with the same priority.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 24
If you have any fantasy that he is NOT going to try to politicize the operations of the IC then you need to get a reality check.   The potential for damage here is extremely high.

Psssh.  It clear that operations of the IC have been politicized forever.  Exactly what makes Grenell an extreme right wing hack?  I have been reading about him and see no evidence of this.  Pretty run of the mill Republican from what I've read - worked for Romney and GW Bush.  Neither of those 2 or Trump could be considered anything but moderates.

When the question is followed immediately by the answer, you have to wonder why it was asked in the first place.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 19
Grenell is famous as a right-wing troll on Twitter.  While he has frequently had to take down hundreds of his tweets over the years after getting called out for hateful and nasty things he has said, there is plenty still there that you can see.

There are multiple articles you can find that captured much of what he's said over the years.  Just google, "Richard Grenell right-wing partisan twitter".

The guy is well-known and openly proud of his extreme views.   He doesn't even pretend to not be a right-wing demagogue.   This isn't me labeling him as such.

Please provide actual evidence of his extreme positions and statements, not just repeat your seemingly baseless claims. 

Then he probably shouldn't have pleaded with Russia on national TV to commit more crimes on his behalf.

LOL.  This makes Trump's obvious joke about Hillary even more amusing, uptight Trump haters taking it seriously. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:08:01 PM by SDceltGuy »

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart

Interesting, briefing congress on what is likely entirely truthful information but unfavorable to the president, replaced immediately "for allowing it to take place" with who person who is alleged to be an even more staunch right wing sycophant.

Of course Trump is going to appoint a Republican that he thinks will support his policies, just like Obama and every other president does.  Your character assignation of Grenell is not supported by evidence.  As a long time ambassador, gay guy that worked for Romney and Bush, I don't think 'extreme' or 'sycophant' is a fair characterization.  Is every Democrat that worked for Obama an extreme left wing sycophant? 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:28:56 PM by SDceltGuy »

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
Grenell is famous as a right-wing troll on Twitter.  While he has frequently had to take down hundreds of his tweets over the years after getting called out for hateful and nasty things he has said, there is plenty still there that you can see.

There are multiple articles you can find that captured much of what he's said over the years.  Just google, "Richard Grenell right-wing partisan twitter".

The guy is well-known and openly proud of his extreme views.   He doesn't even pretend to not be a right-wing demagogue.   This isn't me labeling him as such.

Please provide actual evidence of his extreme positions and statements, not just repeat your seemingly baseless claims. 

So, I'm supposed to mitigate your inability to pay attention to common news?   Sheesh.  Grenell isn't some obscure character that you have to search hard to find info on.   He's been a face on Fox News frequently over the years.  He's been involved with conservative politics going back to the Bush administration.   He's gotten into multiple hot-take spewing matches on Twitter that have resulted in him having to delete hundreds of his tweets over the years.

I'm not going to waste my time pasting link after link and quote after quote when the are literally dozens and dozens of such out there, easily found if you just look.   It's like asking me to post links proving an assertion that Trump is from NYC.

Again, just google "Richard Grenell right-wing partisan" and you'll get plenty of hits.   Read.  Become aware.   Whether you agree or disagree with his politics, there is no debate out there about where he stands.  He's very much on the far right and doesn't pretend otherwise.

If you are too lazy to do that much, I'm not going to be your 'go-fetch' servant.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker

Interesting, briefing congress on what is likely entirely truthful information but unfavorable to the president, replaced immediately "for allowing it to take place" with who person who is alleged to be an even more staunch right wing sycophant.

Of course Trump is going to appoint a Republican that he thinks will support his policies, just like Obama and every other president does.  Your character assignation of Grenell is not supported by evidence.  As a long time ambassador, gay guy that worked for Romney and Bush, I don't think 'extreme' or 'sycophant' is a fair characterization.  Is every Democrat that worked for Obama an extreme left wing sycophant?

If they were on record, very publicly and very frequently spousing extreme liberal views then yes, they would be fair to be considered so.

Can you name even one DNI appointee by any other recent president who had such a reputation (conservative or liberal)?   Hint:  You can't.

No other president from either side has ever named such a blatant partisan candidate to the position of DNI because all other presidents have understood just how sensitive and critical that position is.

Let's be clear here:  This isn't about a post like say, Whitehouse Spokesman.   There are plenty of positions in the executive branch where it is not only fine but actually makes perfect sense to appoint a very partisan person.     But the DNI is not one of them.   The Director of National Intelligence is just too sensitive and dangerous of a position to mess with.

If Obama had named someone like, say, AOC to the DNI post, that might be an equivalent.    Someone who is on the far left and, similarly, has zero experience working in the IC community.  But he didn't.   He, like all the other presidents before him, named someone who was a long-term career IC/Military professional (Clapper).   Someone who got _unanimous_ approval by the Senate.  The _only_ resistance to his nomination actually only came from a few folks on the left who thought he was too defense-oriented of mind for the head of a civilian post.  But even that resistance was pretty tiny.   Again - he got every vote from both parties in the Senate.

Unlike Grenell, who it was clear would not even get supported by a Senate controlled by his own party.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart

If they were on record, very publicly and very frequently spousing extreme liberal views then yes, they would be fair to be considered so.

Can you name even one DNI appointee by any other recent president who had such a reputation (conservative or liberal)?   Hint:  You can't.

No other president from either side has ever named such a blatant partisan candidate to the position of DNI because all other presidents have understood just how sensitive and critical that position is.

Let's be clear here:  This isn't about a post like say, Whitehouse Spokesman.   There are plenty of positions in the executive branch where it is not only fine but actually makes perfect sense to appoint a very partisan person.     But the DNI is not one of them.   The Director of National Intelligence is just too sensitive and dangerous of a position to mess with.

If Obama had named someone like, say, AOC to the DNI post, that might be an equivalent.    Someone who is on the far left and, similarly, has zero experience working in the IC community.  But he didn't.   He, like all the other presidents before him, named someone who was a long-term career IC/Military professional (Clapper).   Someone who got _unanimous_ approval by the Senate.  The _only_ resistance to his nomination actually only came from a few folks on the left who thought he was too defense-oriented of mind for the head of a civilian post.  But even that resistance was pretty tiny.   Again - he got every vote from both parties in the Senate.

Unlike Grenell, who it was clear would not even get supported by a Senate controlled by his own party.

Please provide evidence or examples of his extreme views and statements.  Iíve asked 3 times and since you just keep deflecting I can assume they donít exist.  I think itís fair you back up your claim or recind it.  You donít want to be what you accuse Trump of being do you?

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 9334

Please provide evidence or examples of his extreme views and statements.  Iíve asked 3 times and since you just keep deflecting I can assume they donít exist.  I think itís fair you back up your claim or recind it.  You donít want to be what you accuse Trump of being do you?
so basically your idea is to try to force other people to provide you with easy examples of what they're saying.  why?  is it because you're lazy or because if you make that minimal effort to look it up you'll be confronted with the information you deny exists?  you're not the first Trump supporter here to pull that tactic.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 06:47:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27172
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

so basically your idea is to try to force other people to provide you with easy examples of what they're saying.  why?  is it because you're lazy or because if you make that minimal effort to look it up you'll be confronted with the information you deny exists?  you're not the first Trump supporter here to pull that tactic.

From our rules:

Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints.  All posts must add content to the conversation, and all claims must be supported by facts and/or an argument. Posts such as "Bush sucks!" or "Democrats are leftist Communists!" are not permitted.

This entire thread has turned into a back and forth requesting links, with the other side refusing to provide those links. Rinse and repeat.

The topic itself is worthy of discussion, but this thread is an embarrassment. All involved should start over and do better.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:16:35 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8015
Someone with no intelligence experience is put in charge of the American Intelligence Community. I wonder if Trump would put a lifelong trash collector in charge of the Trump Organization? May as well just put a carpenter in charge Microsoft or a preschool teacher in charge of Apple.

I could not care less what Grennell's political leanings are. I just want someone with some actual intelligence experience running the IC.