Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 314911 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #5430 on: November 27, 2020, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2126
  • bammokja
Well, this is sure to elicit some strong opinions:

The Supreme Court signaled a major shift in its approach to coronavirus-related restrictions late Wednesday, voting 5-4 to bar New York state from reimposing limits on religious gatherings.

The emergency rulings, issued just before midnight, were the first significant indication of a rightward shift in the court since President Donald Trump’s newest appointee — Justice Amy Coney Barrett — last month filled the seat occupied by liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died in September.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/26/supreme-court-religion-covid-barrett-440808

I am not sure what the ruling is going to end up impacting.  If a state needs to close schools, bars, whatever for safety reasons, religious facilities should be no different and I don't think this ruling will change that.  Just like building codes apply equally to churches as they do say movie theaters.

What this ruling does confirm is that the supreme court is now a fully political body.  All judges are voting just how the person appointing them expected them to vote, especially the recent Trump appointees.
i believe part of the ruling was because businesses/restaurants did NOT have the same restrictions put on them. but, yes, this is an ill conceived ruling.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5431 on: November 27, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1539
Well, this is sure to elicit some strong opinions:

The Supreme Court signaled a major shift in its approach to coronavirus-related restrictions late Wednesday, voting 5-4 to bar New York state from reimposing limits on religious gatherings.

The emergency rulings, issued just before midnight, were the first significant indication of a rightward shift in the court since President Donald Trump’s newest appointee — Justice Amy Coney Barrett — last month filled the seat occupied by liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died in September.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/26/supreme-court-religion-covid-barrett-440808

I am not sure what the ruling is going to end up impacting.  If a state needs to close schools, bars, whatever for safety reasons, religious facilities should be no different and I don't think this ruling will change that.  Just like building codes apply equally to churches as they do say movie theaters.

What this ruling does confirm is that the supreme court is now a fully political body.  All judges are voting just how the person appointing them expected them to vote, especially the recent Trump appointees.

Yes, there are two distinct voting blocks, in favor of conservatives 5-3.  Roberts will do everything he can to keep the court in the middle, but his influence is weak right now.

« Reply #5432 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Perhaps we should allow the folks who believe that they'll be microchipped via vaccine to opt-out and kill two birds with one stone?

Not exactly compassionate... Is it desirable that crazy irrational people are eliminated, even if they constitute a large percentage of the population? I don't have an answer. Eliminating people as a deliberate act is NOT desirable, I'm sure - even if you could identify people who really were undesirable, which you cannot. That's why the Trump administration's deliberate neglect of "Blue States" was so shocking - or should have been.

Crazy, irrational people do tend to get picked off by life, it seems.

Some areas of the US may well get herd immunity the hard way, due to a deadly combination of disbelief in the seriousness of the virus, antivax fears, and further-out wacko notions like the microchip thing.

Does this mean that the 'heartland' will be further hollowed out, their economic problems exacerbated, their religious faith undermined, their pre-Covid increase in deaths of despair accelerated and added to deaths from the epidemic itself?

We've already been chipped and we all freely accepted it. Thanks Steve Jobs  ;)

Good point. Touché.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5433 on: December 02, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
2,614 deaths reported yesterday, per Worldometers.

That likely includes deaths not reported over the holiday weekend, so although it’s a new high, the reality is likely lower than that.

The seven-day average is 1,568. At that rate, 370,000 will be dead by the end of January.

The number of hospitalizations hit a new high yesterday. We’re about 50% higher with that than we were in the darkest days of last Spring.

The bottleneck as we increase infection rates is not with ICU beds but with health care personnel. A lot of bad things are going to happen this month; given the situation, that looks unavoidable. What’s predictable is, it’s about to get a lot worse.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5434 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:29 PM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
The seven-day average of deaths per day is now over 2,000 in the US. Predictably the surge from the Thanksgiving holiday will start to show in the coming week.

Someone died of this scourge yesterday every 29 1/2 seconds in our beloved country. 47 states now have ‘Uncontrolled Spread’.

Please give a thought tonight to the nurses and doctors in our ICU’s, as patients in their care lose the battle despite heroic efforts. All over this country they are working brutally long hours in dangerous conditions for our loved ones and fellow citizens.

They are our hope and our protection, risking their own lives, in this our darkest hour.

« Reply #5435 on: December 05, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 567
Well when you have the (lame duck) President promoting Covid hoaxes like this latest one below, what hope do we have of convincing people of the urgency of the situation?

Yesterday, Worldometers stated that 2,833 Americans died from COVID-19. The Covid Tracking Project puts the figure at 2,733. Johns Hopkins University puts the number of deaths Wednesday at 2,597. I’m sure some folks will point to the discrepancies as evidence of their inauthenticity, but different institutions are tabulating the deaths in different ways and from different sources. Worldometers is updated throughout the day, and the others aren’t.

I mention this awful daily death toll because earlier this week, the president of the United States retweeted a hoax picture claiming that a coronavirus patient-care site was empty, adding, “fake election results in Nevada, too!” The picture represented a case of online identity theft:

In the picture posted to Twitter on Sunday, the doctor, Jacob Keeperman, is standing at the Renown Regional Medical Center’s alternate care site in Reno, Nev. In the background, empty hospital beds covered in plastic stand in a vacant parking area. The photo was taken on Nov. 12, the day the site opened, so patients had not yet arrived, Renown Health said.

“I want to thank all the incredible staff who are Fighting the Good Fight to help all those suffering from COVID-19,” Dr. Keeperman, the medical director for Renown’s Transfer and Operations Center, wrote. “With 5 deaths in the last 32 hours, everyone is struggling to keep their head up. Stay strong.”

His photograph was then used by the account @Networkinvegas to erroneously claim that it showed a “fake hospital” that had “never seen a single patient.”

On Tuesday, President Trump brought that falsehood to a wider audience, retweeting the @Networkinvegas post with the comment: “Fake election results in Nevada, also!” Twitter flagged the president’s tweet, noting that the claim about election fraud was “disputed.”

In fact, the alternate care site in Reno has cared for a total of 219 Covid patients in the three weeks it has been open. And across Nevada, hospitalizations have risen 43 percent in the last 14 days, with a 55 percent increase in deaths, according to a New York Times database.

We’re witnessing more than 2,000 Americans perish from this pandemic per day, and the president believes that Nevada hospitals are creating fake treatment centers that have no patients in order to fool the public about the severity of the coronavirus pandemic. He’s got an entire government full of doctors and virologists and epidemiologists who will answer any question he has on this. He’s the president of the United States; anyone in the world will answer his phone call and happily and gladly explain anything he wants to know, walk him through any aspect that confuses him, and get him any answer he needs — particularly doctors, and particularly those who are trying to save patients infected with COVID-19.

The president of the United States chooses to believe the assertions of some account on Twitter, instead.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/the-post-election-madness-gets-worse/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=river&utm_content=featured-content-trending&utm_term=first

So some random troll posts something on Twitter, and the President amplifies that misinformation to his 88 million followers and countless more who then retweet it, because it serves to assuage his bruised ego.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5436 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:06 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1906
Well when you have the (lame duck) President promoting Covid hoaxes like this latest one below, what hope do we have of convincing people of the urgency of the situation?

Yesterday, Worldometers stated that 2,833 Americans died from COVID-19. The Covid Tracking Project puts the figure at 2,733. Johns Hopkins University puts the number of deaths Wednesday at 2,597. I’m sure some folks will point to the discrepancies as evidence of their inauthenticity, but different institutions are tabulating the deaths in different ways and from different sources. Worldometers is updated throughout the day, and the others aren’t.

I mention this awful daily death toll because earlier this week, the president of the United States retweeted a hoax picture claiming that a coronavirus patient-care site was empty, adding, “fake election results in Nevada, too!” The picture represented a case of online identity theft:

In the picture posted to Twitter on Sunday, the doctor, Jacob Keeperman, is standing at the Renown Regional Medical Center’s alternate care site in Reno, Nev. In the background, empty hospital beds covered in plastic stand in a vacant parking area. The photo was taken on Nov. 12, the day the site opened, so patients had not yet arrived, Renown Health said.

“I want to thank all the incredible staff who are Fighting the Good Fight to help all those suffering from COVID-19,” Dr. Keeperman, the medical director for Renown’s Transfer and Operations Center, wrote. “With 5 deaths in the last 32 hours, everyone is struggling to keep their head up. Stay strong.”

His photograph was then used by the account @Networkinvegas to erroneously claim that it showed a “fake hospital” that had “never seen a single patient.”

On Tuesday, President Trump brought that falsehood to a wider audience, retweeting the @Networkinvegas post with the comment: “Fake election results in Nevada, also!” Twitter flagged the president’s tweet, noting that the claim about election fraud was “disputed.”

In fact, the alternate care site in Reno has cared for a total of 219 Covid patients in the three weeks it has been open. And across Nevada, hospitalizations have risen 43 percent in the last 14 days, with a 55 percent increase in deaths, according to a New York Times database.

We’re witnessing more than 2,000 Americans perish from this pandemic per day, and the president believes that Nevada hospitals are creating fake treatment centers that have no patients in order to fool the public about the severity of the coronavirus pandemic. He’s got an entire government full of doctors and virologists and epidemiologists who will answer any question he has on this. He’s the president of the United States; anyone in the world will answer his phone call and happily and gladly explain anything he wants to know, walk him through any aspect that confuses him, and get him any answer he needs — particularly doctors, and particularly those who are trying to save patients infected with COVID-19.

The president of the United States chooses to believe the assertions of some account on Twitter, instead.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/the-post-election-madness-gets-worse/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=river&utm_content=featured-content-trending&utm_term=first

So some random troll posts something on Twitter, and the President amplifies that misinformation to his 88 million followers and countless more who then retweet it, because it serves to assuage his bruised ego.

To my point earlier in the lame duck thread. What has been on display for four years remains visible and blatant in his final days in office.  Anyone who doesn’t see his personality and mental health challenges at this point has a disturbing trust for unsubstantiated information emanating from trolls and liars along with an unshakable knee jerk mistrust for mainstream media.  If this describes 70+million Americans the worst is yet to come. We are in big trouble as a nation.  The unfitness of Trump’s personality for the job he was elected for is now in dangerous mode and on display daily.  He believes American democracy, American media, American healthcare system, American system of  Justice, and American election and political system on the whole are fraudulent and fake - and he is attempting every day to convince the American people and influence his sycophants of the same.  And this is occurring  in the face of absolutely no evidence for his claims and during exploding illness/crisis.  If any here didn’t previously understand that Trump places Trump above the truth and above America, above anything, then you only need to allow yourself a day of open-mindedness and willingness to look at what he’s providing for you and the world as evidence of narcissism and dangerous misuse of power.

« Reply #5437 on: December 05, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 861

To my point earlier in the lame duck thread. What has been on display for four years remains visible and blatant in his final days in office.  Anyone who doesn’t see his personality and mental health challenges at this point has a disturbing trust for unsubstantiated information emanating from trolls and liars along with an unshakable knee jerk mistrust for mainstream media.  If this describes 70+million Americans the worst is yet to come. We are in big trouble as a nation.  The unfitness of Trump’s personality for the job he was elected for is now in dangerous mode and on display daily.  He believes American democracy, American media, American healthcare system, American system of  Justice, and American election and political system on the whole are fraudulent and fake - and he is attempting every day to convince the American people and influence his sycophants of the same.  And this is occurring  in the face of absolutely no evidence for his claims and during exploding illness/crisis.  If any here didn’t previously understand that Trump places Trump above the truth and above America, above anything, then you only need to allow yourself a day of open-mindedness and willingness to look at what he’s providing for you and the world as evidence of narcissism and dangerous misuse of power.

He's a con man.  A grifter.  Cares nothing about the victims and collateral damage of his con.  Only about lining his pockets.   He's pulled off, so far, probably one of the greatest scams in history.   He conned millions of suckers to vote for him and to enable him while he has actively -- and in plain site -- funneled millions of federal dollars into his business interests.   And now he's using his fake 'Election Fraud!' campaign to raise money from all those suckers to pay off his campaign debts that financed the whole scam in the first place.

If he is not held accountable after he leaves office then he will have completely pulled it off.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5438 on: December 05, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum

I suspect you’re right about his ego. But there are a whole lot of suckers out there who will donate cold cash if they’re stirred up, and he’s got a unique skill of stoking their outrage.

From Forbes:

However, the fine print of the requests noted that 25% of each contribution goes to the Republican National Committee and the other 75% goes to a political action committee (PAC) launched by Trump in mid-November entitled Save America.
A donor has to give at least $5,000 to Trump’s new PAC before any money goes toward the vote recount, according to The New York Times.
Though it’s not immediately clear how the money will be used—and the Trump campaign did not respond to Forbes’ inquiry—the money donated to the Save America PAC, a leadership PAC, can be used to fund political activity, contribute to other candidates or a variety of other uses.
Portions of the money may have also been used to pay off remaining Trump campaign debt as fine print in the immediate aftermath of the election signaled this as a possible use of the funds.

The money can be used “to fund basically anything,” wrote Washington Post analyst Philip Bump. “The money in the Save America PAC, unlike money contributed to a standard campaign committee, can be used to benefit Trump in innumerable ways. Memberships to golf clubs. Travel. Rallies. Even payments directly to Trump himself, as long as he declares it income.

They’re after the small donors.

Numerous outlets are reporting that the total collected so far is over $200 million.

I suspect that all the ludicrous legal challenges are really only theater for the gullible. Anything that he can do to promote people’s suspicions that they’re being conned drives fundraising.

I believe that Donald Trump is the greatest con man of all time.

« Reply #5439 on: December 05, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum

He's a con man.  A grifter.  Cares nothing about the victims and collateral damage of his con.  Only about lining his pockets.   He's pulled off, so far, probably one of the greatest scams in history.   He conned millions of suckers to vote for him and to enable him while he has actively -- and in plain site -- funneled millions of federal dollars into his business interests.   And now he's using his fake 'Election Fraud!' campaign to raise money from all those suckers to pay off his campaign debts that financed the whole scam in the first place.

If he is not held accountable after he leaves office then he will have completely pulled it off.

And the nation be [dang]ed.

« Reply #5440 on: December 05, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline blink

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 856

I totally agree.  I don't even think he believes it is a scam election at this point.  But he sure knows that 200 million, most of which is being funneled to his PAC, will help him out in some way directly.  So it is in his financial self interest to continue spouting all these lies, because he got millions of people to believe him and send him money out of it.

As others said, he is the biggest scam artist this nation has ever seen.  If Trump or his family committed crimes while in office, or before being in office, I really hope that he gets prosecuted.  NO pardons for him and the people that abused our country.  This has been worse than Nixon, and it didn't stop for the whole 4 years.  A national embarrassment that led to Trump lining his pockets and also led to more deaths than needed to happen from Covid.  He was what everyone thought he was and worse during the 2016 campaign. 

« Reply #5441 on: December 05, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1906

I totally agree.  I don't even think he believes it is a scam election at this point.  But he sure knows that 200 million, most of which is being funneled to his PAC, will help him out in some way directly.  So it is in his financial self interest to continue spouting all these lies, because he got millions of people to believe him and send him money out of it.

As others said, he is the biggest scam artist this nation has ever seen.  If Trump or his family committed crimes while in office, or before being in office, I really hope that he gets prosecuted.  NO pardons for him and the people that abused our country.  This has been worse than Nixon, and it didn't stop for the whole 4 years.  A national embarrassment that led to Trump lining his pockets and also led to more deaths than needed to happen from Covid.  He was what everyone thought he was and worse during the 2016 campaign.

Of course truth always takes a backseat to perception -- and there are true believers in the narrative that Trump always tells the truth and the left-wing media is always fake.  The Trump believers truly believe --  I don't think that it's dishonest.  There may be odd reasons underlying why they believe / why they are prone to accepting conspiracy theories / why they are more susceptible to Trump's rhetoric.  But their perceptions are valid even if what they perceive is misguided.  And of course left-wing media IS biased and therefore should be approached with reasonable scrutiny rather than a blanket acceptance of truth.  Same with right media -- I don't believe right-wing media is always fake, but should be scrutinized similarly to the Left for bias.

But Trump is on a different level.  His lies are consistent and unrepentant, and often flatly and clearly disproven. Yet he is never wrong, never makes a mistake, and is highly skilled at spin and branding.  His spins are better than most because there isn't a shred of ethical 2nd thinking that is associated. There is no value to ethics in Trump's brain. His whisperers (those like Miller, Bannon, Stone) are proud "dirty tricksters" and unabashed chaos producers - also without the burden of ethics to inhibit their actions. His secondary supporters -- those who know the truth yet go along with Trump -- are simply despicable and shameful, but none of us should be surprised as in many ways they reflect politics as usual (modus operandi for SOME on both sides).

But he gets off far too easy when we rely on crediting his gifting skill.  Especially when we believe that he knows full well what he is doing.  If Trump is NOT deluded -- in other words, if he truly believes that the election was not a scam -- it does indeed make him a world class con-man, but it also makes his actions (imo) far worse given the consequences.  I can accept (at least understand) delusion, similarly to being able to accept the honest perceptions of his followers.  But to KNOW he is conning the world, and to do it anyway, in this case is so far beyond the pale.  Willingness to deny science for his ego, willingness to deny democracy for money and power, willingness to use his pulpit to pressure honorable Americans to engage in dishonorable practices, willingness to incite his people to aggress...  These are beyond the scope of a typical conman who basically gets his or her gain from another's money and probably secondary gain via successful humiliation and the thrill of manipulating another's gullibility.  Trump however has put our entire country at-risk for his own gain.  And he is doing so every day.  Pardon plans for self, family and cronies, monetary gains, sustaining his power base for post-election, diminishing America's (and democracy's) standing in the world, ignoring or falsely spinning the current virus crisis (you'll hear ONLY from him the great achievement of the vaccine - his accomplishment rather than science's, and already terrified that Biden might get some credit when the vaccine is effectively implemented), and purposely setting up his successor (as best he can) to fail.

Great con man does not tell the story of Trump.  The damage he has done and undoubtedly will continue to do is potentially massive. He should be locked up.  But if that does come to pass, I can only hope that the evidence is so clear, so overwhelming and blatant, that even some of his legion of supporters are swayed to alter their perceptions. 

« Reply #5442 on: December 07, 2020, 06:48:01 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 66
Looks like America's Mayor has Coronavirus
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/06/politics/rudy-giuliani-coronavirus-positive/index.html

He is now hospitalized in a Georgetown University facility.

« Reply #5443 on: December 07, 2020, 08:09:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 438
If this describes 70+million Americans the worst is yet to come. We are in big trouble as a nation.  The unfitness of Trump’s personality for the job he was elected for is now in dangerous mode and on display daily. 

This remains to me the biggest question.  70M people apparently thought that having Donald Trump as president was better than having Joe Biden as president.  I just can't get my head around what those 70M people are thinking or how their thought process works to come to that conclusion.  I suspect many are taken in by the liberals want to take your guns away, open the boarders, make us socialist like Venezuela, close all the churches, etc., etc.  But does this really make 70M people blind to the corruption and lying that is on display every day?

Do these Trump voters really believe COVID is a hoax (back to the topic at hand)?  That the numbers (cases, deaths, hospitalizations) are all made up?  I wonder of the 70M who voted Trump, what percentage believe that COVID is a hoax.  That when they saw the fake tweet from Trump, did they just say yep, another fake hospital for the fake patients?  It never occurs to them that Trump is a fraud and any information coming from him is fraudulent including everything he says about COVID?

Do the republican elected officials know the truth but are playing along to maintain their political power?   It sure seems as though some of the politicians have bought it hook line and sinker.  That may be even scarier than the voters believing this.

« Reply #5444 on: December 07, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1539
Apparently Rudy G now has covid and is in the hospital