Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 285059 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #5340 on: October 30, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2502
I have noticed nearly 100 % compliance of wearing masks at the banks i visit .  I don't believe i ve seen anybody not wearing a mask inside a bank .  And most all wear a mask outside the bank .   And very strick distancing as well.  This goes back to March i d say
Are people that bank,smarter or is it .......
As Most have a guard too stationed inside.  Perhaps this has something to do with peoples behavior .? 

At most stores here , the rules are just blown off , im in a small minority using a mask. ..people walking around me within inches shopping, no mask ....its like they are oblivious to a pandemic .
Walmart requires a mask.  I don't recall seeing anyone inside the store without a mask in my last few visits.

oh ,  most stores have signs requiring mask ,  with major stores like Wally World ...which i absolutely never go unless there is some emergency item ,  the managers could enforce rules , but 99 % do not , they are scard silly of the bully public or repercussions from higher up.   Only medical practices seem to enforce covid rules everywhere.    Everytime Im in a store ,  bent down looking for an item on a lower shelf ,  somebody is standing directly over me with no mask .   Nobody was epwearing masks in the law office either   he doesn't believe in it .  Its another world here from Northern VA and up.

Now private business is funny ....if the owner is serious about covid and masks , they will not hesitate to ask you to leave if you can't obey the signs on the door.  But at least half of the private owners don't wear masks in their own businesses and few require employees to .  And in this area...90 % of people patronize these private run business are NOT the mask wearing types. 

Whats really bizarre to me and my wife is the people that are not wearing the masks alot tend to be older ,over weight , and just look ripe for covid picking .   

At least two groups here take covid seriously......blacks and asians 99 % practice all,the safety guidelines .   In most stores they are the ONlY ones wearing masks .   

Management of large chains totally ignore what their customers do.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:42:27 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5341 on: October 30, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 852
Was possibly exposed on Saturday.  Found out that someone I carpooled to a race with, tested positive yesterday morning. I've felt fine all week and had no symptoms but finally got tested for the first time yesterday just in case. 

Definitely an uncomfortable test.  Really weird feeling when they stick the swab up your nostrils.  They said I should find out in 3-5 days.

Oh my!  Best of luck to you Donoghus!  I hope it comes back negative.

FWIW:  My family has been tested several times now (for various reasons - and all negative).  We have been using the "Stop the Spread" program that the Mass State government setup and it has been free and very fast.  Results come back in less than 24 hours.  Less than 12 hours the last time, earlier this week.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/stop-the-spread

You do need to call and make an appointment.  But we have never had a problem getting one at a convenient time slot.  Then you just drive up, do the test in your car and go home.   Get an e-mail with the results.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5342 on: October 30, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Was possibly exposed on Saturday.  Found out that someone I carpooled to a race with, tested positive yesterday morning. I've felt fine all week and had no symptoms but finally got tested for the first time yesterday just in case. 

Definitely an uncomfortable test.  Really weird feeling when they stick the swab up your nostrils.  They said I should find out in 3-5 days.

Good luck with the result. I know the feeling of potentially being exposed and having to get tested. In my case I waited 7 hours to be tested, this was back in July. At least I got the results back 20 mins later and it was negative as it was a rapid test. And yes they really do jam the swab up your nose something fierce   :o
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5343 on: October 30, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 868

Good luck with the result. I know the feeling of potentially being exposed and having to get tested. In my case I waited 7 hours to be tested, this was back in July. At least I got the results back 20 mins later and it was negative as it was a rapid test. And yes they really do jam the swab up your nose something fierce   :o

It's pretty disappointing that this far into the pandemic they haven't managed to develop a reliable enough test where you dont need to jam something so far up someone's nose.

« Reply #5344 on: October 30, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2502
This is not good news !   est.85K deaths this winter for UK  ....maybe low est at that article says  ,  where does that leave USA ?  :-\....   gee Merry Christmas  :-[

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54750775
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:26:42 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5345 on: October 31, 2020, 10:55:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 852
Sheesh!  A million new covid cases in just the last 2 weeks in the US.

This is not good.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5346 on: October 31, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1319
I've been exposed to several patients that "just got over" the virus. In reality, the risk is incredibly small among those of us relatively young and healthy.  And we need to protect the elderly, particularly with comorbid issues.

My question is how many seniors died as a result of moving C-19 patients into nursing homes in NY, MI, CA, NJ, and PA.  Michigan Medicine offered the entire football field for extended care -- largest in the country, holding 110k+ fans, as well as dormitory buildings -- yet governor Whitmer decided nursing homes made more sense. What?! How can you rationalize that?

If you were tasked with the placement of sick (and potentially very sick) patients, where would you place them? In open, designated spaces?  Or nursing homes, among the very most vulnerable populations?

I legitimately believe a strong argument can be made that this policy was purposeful among Dems vying for cabinet positions, which is absolutely despicable. It's impossible for me to believe that such well-educated folks purposely placed extremely sick patients in nursing homes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:59:10 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
You don't need a pack of wild horses to learn how to make a sandwich.

-Dr. Phil

« Reply #5347 on: November 01, 2020, 12:31:32 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 398
I've been exposed to several patients that "just got over" the virus. In reality, the risk is incredibly small among those of us relatively young and healthy.  And we need to protect the elderly, particularly with comorbid issues.

My question is how many seniors died as a result of moving C-19 patients into nursing homes in NY, MI, CA, NJ, and PA.  Michigan Medicine offered the entire football field for extended care -- largest in the country, holding 110k+ fans, as well as dormitory buildings -- yet governor Whitmer decided nursing homes made more sense. What?! How can you rationalize that?

If you were tasked with the placement of sick (and potentially very sick) patients, where would you place them? In open, designated spaces?  Or nursing homes, among the very most vulnerable populations?

I legitimately believe a strong argument can be made that this policy was purposeful among Dems vying for cabinet positions, which is absolutely despicable. It's impossible for me to believe that such well-educated folks purposely placed extremely sick patients in nursing homes.

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read. No. No. No. No. First of all its debatable how much sending Covid patients back to nursing homes actually contributed to nursing home mortality, given that there seems to a be a relative widespread dissemination of the disease among nursing home staff, especially in New York. But even admitting that it probably was a mistake it was mostly done because early on in the pandemic there was real worry about a lack of hospital beds, not because Dems wanted to kill people.

« Reply #5348 on: November 01, 2020, 12:40:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1319

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read. No. No. No. No. First of all its debatable how much sending Covid patients back to nursing homes actually contributed to nursing home mortality, given that there seems to a be a relative widespread dissemination of the disease among nursing home staff, especially in New York. But even admitting that it probably was a mistake it was mostly done because early on in the pandemic there was real worry about a lack of hospital beds, not because Dems wanted to kill people.

Non-independent elderly are the most vulnerable population in the country.  If you placed flu patients in nursing homes, you would see a similar increase in deaths.

There were not a lack of beds -- Whitmer had the largest college stadium in the country, plus dorm areas, and Cuomo had a navy ship. Both decided they didn't need them -- tell me, why? And now, neither Whitmer or Cuomo will release the number of nursing home deaths.  Why not?

By MSM reports, Biden has since considered Cuomo as AG, and previously Whitmer as VP and now in a potential cabinet position.   

You seem to trust these folks. What are your thoughts on the reported evidence of Hunter's laptop from hell?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:32:21 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
You don't need a pack of wild horses to learn how to make a sandwich.

-Dr. Phil

« Reply #5349 on: November 01, 2020, 03:31:40 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 67

Non-independent elderly are the most vulnerable population in the country.  If you placed flu patients in nursing homes, you would see a similar increase in deaths.

There were not a lack of beds -- Whitmer had the largest college stadium in the country, plus dorm areas, and Cuomo had a navy ship. Both decided they didn't need them -- tell me, why? And now, neither Whitmer or Cuomo will release the number of nursing home deaths.  Why not?

By MSM reports, Biden has since considered Cuomo as AG, and previously Whitmer as VP and now in a potential cabinet position.   

You seem to trust these folks. What are your thoughts on the reported evidence of Hunter's laptop from hell?
Some governors may have made questionable decisions early on in the pandemic “because of science at the time” but you’re pushing conspiracy theories that only make sense to a very small circle of believers

« Reply #5350 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1880

Some governors may have made questionable decisions early on in the pandemic “because of science at the time” but you’re pushing conspiracy theories that only make sense to a very small circle of believers

I agree NKY.

When someone floats a credible idea of who may be in a presidential cabinet in the course of a campaign, the candidate would be a fool to confirm or deny.  Surely the campaign response is never “No, she will not be in my cabinet” or “yes, we’ve decided he’ll be a great fit leading our DOJ”.  Except in extremely rare circumstances, you are always non-committal and neither open nor close the door. To do anything different is foolish.  Biden is not responsible for news media or opposition party speculation. In terms of VP nomination, you are in a position of not knowing people well and have a right to be curious about potential candidates.  My guess is that there are VP considerations and/or interviews every cycle that in retrospect the top of the ticket wishes he/she hadn’t considered (or did so out of some seemingly necessary obligation). Remember that it is the selection and not who is considered that matters. Also remember that Dan Quayle, Sara Palin, Spiro Agnew, John Edwards for example actually were selected.

Cuomo’s (incidentally I cringe frequently when I watch him -  not a big fan) decision to use nursing home beds for stable Covid patients to free up hospital beds during the initial surge of the pandemic — when NY was anticipating being overwhelmed as the international  travel hub of the country and no certainty where the numbers would land —- was understandable (I guess) in the moment but retrospectively a big mistake.  It showed a disregard for the most vulnerable and cost lives.   Undoubtedly thousands of elderly died as a result.  The speculated numbers are between 6 and 8000 nursing home resident deaths from Covid. Of course there is no definitive way to determine how many of these deaths directly were the result of the March to May policy that encouraged nursing homes to accept stable Covid patients.  Note that nursing home deaths occurred in other states without such a policy.  But still terrible that it happened.

In terms of trust, I absolutely trust Biden more than Trump and it’s not close. I also hesitate greatly to believe that Democrats conspired to kill elderly, or drink the blood of children for that matter.    Biden has lied in the past and made some questionable or poor political/policy decisions.  47 years in office will produce bad choices and lies I’m afraid.   Trump lies multiple times a day and has displayed deceptive, conspiratorial and manipulative behavior in every known aspect of his business and personal life. His tweets are filled with lies, name calling, incendiary remarks, and conspiracy-based speculation- often providing retweet encouragement to wild conspiracies.  This is the man that may win 4 more years and have an essentially unfettered reign of power.

If trust is the issue, the choice could not be easier.   

« Reply #5351 on: November 01, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 67

I agree NKY.

When someone floats a credible idea of who may be in a presidential cabinet in the course of a campaign, the candidate would be a fool to confirm or deny.  Surely the campaign response is never “No, she will not be in my cabinet” or “yes, we’ve decided he’ll be a great fit leading our DOJ”.  Except in extremely rare circumstances, you are always non-committal and neither open nor close the door. To do anything different is foolish.  Biden is not responsible for news media or opposition party speculation. In terms of VP nomination, you are in a position of not knowing people well and have a right to be curious about potential candidates.  My guess is that there are VP considerations and/or interviews every cycle that in retrospect the top of the ticket wishes he/she hadn’t considered (or did so out of some seemingly necessary obligation). Remember that it is the selection and not who is considered that matters. Also remember that Dan Quayle, Sara Palin, Spiro Agnew, John Edwards for example actually were selected.

Cuomo’s (incidentally I cringe frequently when I watch him -  not a big fan) decision to use nursing home beds for stable Covid patients to free up hospital beds during the initial surge of the pandemic — when NY was anticipating being overwhelmed as the international  travel hub of the country and no certainty where the numbers would land —- was understandable (I guess) in the moment but retrospectively a big mistake.  It showed a disregard for the most vulnerable and cost lives.  Undoubtedly thousands of elderly died as a result.  The speculated numbers are between 6 and 8000 nursing home resident deaths from Covid. Of course there is no definitive way to determine how many of these deaths directly were the result of the March to May policy that encouraged nursing homes to accept stable Covid patients.  Note that nursing home deaths occurred in other states without such a policy.  But still terrible that it happened.

In terms of trust, I absolutely trust Biden more than Trump and it’s not close. I also hesitate greatly to believe that Democrats conspired to kill elderly, or drink the blood of children for that matter.    Biden has lied in the past and made some questionable or poor political/policy decisions.  47 years in office will produce bad choices and lies I’m afraid.   Trump lies multiple times a day and has displayed deceptive, conspiratorial and manipulative behavior in every known aspect of his business and personal life. His tweets are filled with lies, name calling, incendiary remarks, and conspiracy-based speculation- often providing retweet encouragement to wild conspiracies.  This is the man that may win 4 more years and have an essentially unfettered reign of power.

If trust is the issue, the choice could not be easier.
I agree on all NG.
Especially on the bolded I think Cuomo panicked... it’s possible because he was watching too much what’s happening in Italy at the time. I still don’t get what was That media obsession with ventilators at the time as the outragingly high mortality rate of people on ventilators should have implied they might be doing more harm then good.
NYC and possibly the rest of the country health system problem was never logistics it was funding enough personnel to help with the sick. They fixed that by offering $100+ an hour to traveling nurses plus overtime and per diem pay.
I had friend (nurse) that went from Harlem to Tampa to KY and who knows where next but she hasn’t allowed me to pay for dinner since she came back lol.
Anyway it was a mistake at the time and we all learned from it. Cuomo May be given a free pass but that will be up to the NY residents/voters.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:10:18 AM by NKY fan »

« Reply #5352 on: November 02, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1297
  • What a Pub Should Be

Oh my!  Best of luck to you Donoghus!  I hope it comes back negative.

FWIW:  My family has been tested several times now (for various reasons - and all negative).  We have been using the "Stop the Spread" program that the Mass State government setup and it has been free and very fast.  Results come back in less than 24 hours.  Less than 12 hours the last time, earlier this week.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/stop-the-spread

You do need to call and make an appointment.  But we have never had a problem getting one at a convenient time slot.  Then you just drive up, do the test in your car and go home.   Get an e-mail with the results.

Test came back negative.  Got the call from the doctor on Saturday night. 

Huge relief.  A 2nd person from the carpool had tested positive earlier on Saturday so I was definitely bracing myself for the worst so was a bit surprised when I heard the news.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5353 on: November 02, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 656
5 of the 7 in our family have tested positive. We are doing alright so far. No health complications. Just quarantining and trying to ride out what is essentially a bad flu.

Some of you may remember that I think I had it in March, but tested negative after having symptoms for two weeks. This one feels essentially the same as March, except like only 70% as bad and with no cough. That one in March was really, really bad.

Makes me wonder if there is something to be said about the Vitamin D thing, or if it did mutate.

« Reply #5354 on: November 02, 2020, 12:56:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
President Trump has indicated that Dr Fauci may be on the way out if he gets re-elected. I guess he's reached the end of his patience with the doctor after Fauci suggested the US was in for "a world of hurt" from Covid come winter.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D