Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 236168 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #4860 on: July 10, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1764
Article: 3 Arizona teachers who shared a classroom all contracted the virus.  One died.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/07/09/covid-19-school-reopenings-arizona-teachers/5411122002/?fbclid=IwAR2UGZbjxVWzRhOPfHVGX7CDnX-yBhoT_NpcZ-ITW9tK3Sne5jLsF-49l80

In all the years that I worked in schools, I've never heard of a teacher dying from the flu.  I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard of it.    The Covid deaths are with schools closing in March...

I am very mixed about school re-opening. First -- I think most states/communities will reopen schools, at least at the outset -- and at least partially.  I know how hard it's been and I know the emotional toll on kids not having the social component and missing the opportunity to learn with teachers actually present (not to mention the toll on parents and school staff).  I want schools to open.  But... when you hear teachers dying of Covid it's pretty hard to ignore.  Many teachers, paraeducators, lunch workers, custodians, administrators are over 55 and many have concerning pre-existing conditions.  Trump's let's say, indelicate, declaration of schools must reopen -- contained fully with a solid threat -- is just another example of his failure as a leader.  I do believe that he would have the vast majority of the country in his camp if he were to strongly state that kids mental health and academic needs are best met back in school (of course this in itself runs counter to the now almost silent voice of his Education Secretary, Betsy Devos who has not behaved as a particular fan of public education).

Trump could be a little sensitive to the implications of reopening -- maybe acknowledge that it's disconcerting.  Maybe acknowledge that adults in schools might be at high risk for complication even as kids may be at lesser risk.  Maybe acknowledge that there are some parts of the country, or some districts, that may be in the midst of crazy outbreaks and perhaps should be more cautious.  Maybe he could not only emphasize, but back up with public $$ the idea of implementing stringent safety precautions when back at school.   

You know, as each month of this dreadful presidency ticks down to its hopeful end, I am actually believing month to month that he is even worse as a president than I thought each previous month.  The bar was painfully low to begin with, and he is getting lower and lower.

26 Teachers From England:
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-revealed-least-26-teachers-have-died-covid-19

28 teachers and 65 school employees From NYC:
https://abc7ny.com/teacher-deaths-by-covid-19-teachers-killed-coronavirus-department-of-education-nyc/6133083/

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/sacramento-substitute-teacher-who-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-dies

« Reply #4861 on: July 10, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
Usually caveat of its just one study, and its REALLY hard to determine what might have happened in any given alternate scenario.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/shelter-in-place-orders-prevented-up-to-370-000-coronavirus-deaths-study-says/ar-BB16AjkL?ocid=msedgntp

« Reply #4862 on: July 10, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2457
Article: 3 Arizona teachers who shared a classroom all contracted the virus.  One died.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/07/09/covid-19-school-reopenings-arizona-teachers/5411122002/?fbclid=IwAR2UGZbjxVWzRhOPfHVGX7CDnX-yBhoT_NpcZ-ITW9tK3Sne5jLsF-49l80

In all the years that I worked in schools, I've never heard of a teacher dying from the flu.  I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard of it.    The Covid deaths are with schools closing in March...

I am very mixed about school re-opening. First -- I think most states/communities will reopen schools, at least at the outset -- and at least partially.  I know how hard it's been and I know the emotional toll on kids not having the social component and missing the opportunity to learn with teachers actually present (not to mention the toll on parents and school staff).  I want schools to open.  But... when you hear teachers dying of Covid it's pretty hard to ignore.  Many teachers, paraeducators, lunch workers, custodians, administrators are over 55 and many have concerning pre-existing conditions.  Trump's let's say, indelicate, declaration of schools must reopen -- contained fully with a solid threat -- is just another example of his failure as a leader.  I do believe that he would have the vast majority of the country in his camp if he were to strongly state that kids mental health and academic needs are best met back in school (of course this in itself runs counter to the now almost silent voice of his Education Secretary, Betsy Devos who has not behaved as a particular fan of public education).

Trump could be a little sensitive to the implications of reopening -- maybe acknowledge that it's disconcerting.  Maybe acknowledge that adults in schools might be at high risk for complication even as kids may be at lesser risk.  Maybe acknowledge that there are some parts of the country, or some districts, that may be in the midst of crazy outbreaks and perhaps should be more cautious.  Maybe he could not only emphasize, but back up with public $$ the idea of implementing stringent safety precautions when back at school.   

You know, as each month of this dreadful presidency ticks down to its hopeful end, I am actually believing month to month that he is even worse as a president than I thought each previous month.  The bar was painfully low to begin with, and he is getting lower and lower.

26 Teachers From England:
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-revealed-least-26-teachers-have-died-covid-19

28 teachers and 65 school employees From NYC:
https://abc7ny.com/teacher-deaths-by-covid-19-teachers-killed-coronavirus-department-of-education-nyc/6133083/

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/sacramento-substitute-teacher-who-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-dies

Yeah me and my wife both agree if we we teachers , we wouldn't be going back to any normal huge public school anytime soon.  not until vaccines are well into the public domain.  Gotta use some of that common sense here or pay the price.

I wouldn't want to be locked in a building with thousands of covid carrying rug rats .....who are not scard one iota about dying or getting sick or killing me

.  Sure lets all have school , more covid the better ! ....not this kid ....Next to a movie theater or gym , bars , concert , or gaint indoor sports event ....public schools  is right up there with these infection centers.   Nope ...not me I ll dig ditchs and stay alive thank you .
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:29:36 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #4863 on: July 10, 2020, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4864 on: July 10, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1379
Catholic Church gets 1.5 billion in aid. WHAT?!!!!

« Reply #4865 on: July 10, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach

God needs his cut  too!    ;D

he been working over time lately !

« Reply #4866 on: July 10, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
854 deaths reported in 24 hours, an increase over the 624 the same period a week ago. Deaths are for sure on the rise.

« Reply #4867 on: July 10, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

You know what they say?

God loves ugly money.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4868 on: July 10, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
those pictures of the bulldozers digging 100s or 1000 s of graves in Brazil is mind blowing . 

back hoe operators working OT

« Reply #4869 on: July 10, 2020, 06:30:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 766
854 deaths reported in 24 hours, an increase over the 624 the same period a week ago. Deaths are for sure on the rise.

I'm sure that's also from testing too much, more than anyone else in the world ::)

Those darn tests must be killing people!

« Reply #4870 on: July 10, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
Australia gets 50 new cases and they panic they shut it down .

While in the USA ...50 small countries refuse to work together and take care of their states , lock down the sources , stop none essential travel between states.  Stop passenger srvice period ,  we are too weak to and stupid to do,what is right.  Close,the gyms , bars , none essential public places until it can be brought under control .It will just spiral out of control the way out state goverments are operating .  Nobody is in charge and no laws are being enforced ....so we will just all end up with covid.

« Reply #4871 on: July 10, 2020, 07:04:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 766

« Reply #4872 on: July 10, 2020, 08:07:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1353
  • On To Banner 18!
Oh boy. The U.S has passed 71,000 cases so far today, and I believe that's with some states like California not reporting their numbers yet  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4873 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 3564
  • Yup

I'm sure that's also from testing too much, more than anyone else in the world ::)

Stop checking pulses.  You'll never have to pronounce anyone dead.  Problem fixed. 
Yup

« Reply #4874 on: July 10, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451

Stop checking pulses.  You'll never have to pronounce anyone dead.  Problem fixed.

This lawmaker from Ohio agrees...he thinks people should stop getting tested.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D