Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 236163 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #4725 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 766
When will we ever have a clear message from the federal government? Stupid is killing more people than the virus:

"Surgeon General Jerome Adams wouldn't give a yes or no answer during an appearance on the "Today" show asked if he would recommend people attend large gatherings over the 4th of July weekend.

When host Craig Melvin asked him if he would advise people to attend large gatherings or not, Adams said, "It's not a yes or no. Every single person has to make up their own mind."

President Donald Trump is hosting large events in Washington D.C. and at Mount Rushmore for Independence Day over the weekend, and masks will not be required at either event.

The CDC currently recommends people do not attend large gatherings, deeming them high-risk."

i agree ,  stupid is killing people and selfishness , not caring for the well being of your fellow statemen and American family.  i m at a loss for the lack of understanding of this situation and how it impacts so many we never met

I was watching a show about the 1940s on History Channel (I think) last night, they talked about how the entire nation sacrificed during WWII, accepting rationing of goods such as sugar, gasoline, butter and milk so they could be provided for the war effort. Doing scrap drives to get rubber because the Japanese conquest of Indonesia had cut off our supply. Buying war bonds. The entire country pulling for each other and making sacrifices for the greater good. Now you can't even get people to wear masks or socially distance because it's too inconvenient and they don't want to be told what to do. Who cares if they're an asymptomatic carrier who might get someone else sick?

Maybe it's because during WWII the country had a clear enemy to focus its anger to, while with Covid the fault is spread everywhere. But it's a shame that we're so divided over even the most basic things that should unite us to stop the pandemic and get our economy back on track.

It is absolutely an act of defiance when people don't wear masks and don't distance at gatherings.  It is people saying "we don't care, we can do what we want."    It is adolescent, and it is behavior precisely in the image of our leader.

FDR asked Americans to use their freedom and choose sacrifice in a time of crisis; Trump asks Americans to use their freedom and choose to put one another at risk in a time of crisis.  FDR pointed his finger at America's enemies -- Hitler and Japan.   Trump points his finger at his own enemies -- the media and democrats.

For those who say wearing a mask impedes their basic rights, its like saying I have the right to drive 100 mph while drunk and if someone dies they die. And dont tell me not too otherwise you are impeding on my liberties.

« Reply #4726 on: July 03, 2020, 10:40:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1353
  • On To Banner 18!
If you guys want to see what "exponential growth" looks like, here's something I found on Reddit:

Florida Previous Thursdays:

June 25: 5,004

June 18: 3,207

June 11: 1,698

Guess how many FL got on July 1? 10,109 new cases :o

Here's Georgia:

Georgia Previous Wednesdays:

June 24: 1703

June 17: 664

June 10: 731

What did Georgia get on Wednesday this week? 3,000+ cases.

Here's Texas

Texas Previous Wednesdays:

June 24: 6177

June 17: 3511

June 10: 2437

Yesterday, Texas reported well over 8,000 cases and a ton of hospitalizations.

In fact, I think many hospitals in Houston are at full capacity now and it's only getting worse. The largest medical center in the entire world is in TX and that's also getting overwhelmed.

Yes, testing capacity has risen a bit so that could explain this a little. But either way, it's not a good sign. In places like Arizona, they are getting a 15%+ positive rate on the tests they do.

I think I saw the same post. Very scary :/

Doctors in Texas have already had to decide which type of covid patient would get ECMO (i.e. young vs. old scenario)....that's how bad it's gotten.

They are trying their best not to put their patients on vents as that is basically a death sentence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/texas-doctor-talks-overwhelming-impact-on-hospitals-as-coronavirus-cases-surge/ar-BB16iZgP

A few years ago, I actually worked for about a year as a student intern/assistant in the Respiratory Care Department. And yeah, while it's very interesting to see, ECMO is pretty scary too. It's basically the last chance to revive someone if ventilators and other treatments don't work, and is considered, "the last chance treatment". And it's actually a very complicated procedure and surgeons + respiratory therapists need specialized training to be able to do it. Patients who survive thanks to ECMO are extremely grateful and it's great to see. Unfortunately though, many don't make it but the grim reality is, they probably weren't going to anyways.

I think there were reports a few months ago that actually said, 9 out of 10 COVID patients who get put on ventilators sadly don't make it. So yeah, I can see why vents are considered "a death sentence". Basically, if a ventilator is used during surgical procedures, other treatments involving anesthesia or post-treatment care to aid with breathing, it's fine. But when it's used just to keep someone breathing who has a respiratory illness/disease, then yeah, all it's really doing is prolonging the worst unless a miracle happens health-wise for the patient. And one of the symptoms with COVID is shortness of breath and respiratory illness.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:04:19 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4727 on: July 04, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1764
Happy 4th.

Quick story -
I live in a town in Mass near Lowell.

My wife and I drove this AM to a place we like to walk.  On the ride back after passing through our town center we drove by what seemed an impromptu parade of sorts (of course no regular parade today).  About 30 people strong with flags and such marching toward the center.  At first I thought it was nice, then we noticed no masks, no distancing.  My wife circled back and she drove me past the group driving slowly.  I had my mask on, and pointing to my mask I said repeatedly as we slowly passed the group, “Happy 4th, please mask up”.  I’m sure it did no good though and probably just annoyed them.  I don’t necessarily think we were right to do it, but I really find it frustrating.    I could see some did have masks either in their hands or around their necks.  I tried to say it as politely as I could. 

Massachusetts has done well. It’s just about keeping it going  Not really that hard to wear a mask and to have some distance.  I know they have a right not to.  But is it really too much to ask to make a little distance and pull up your mask?

« Reply #4728 on: July 04, 2020, 02:30:17 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151
Given it's a lost cause and covid will have infected everyone in 5 years. Is it time to stop lecturing people on mask and just say, try to improve your immune system to battle it when you get it.

All you can do is protect your own and self because this government and 30% of the population don't care if you get it.

« Reply #4729 on: July 04, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
Given it's a lost cause and covid will have infected everyone in 5 years. Is it time to stop lecturing people on mask and just say, try to improve your immune system to battle it when you get it.

All you can do is protect your own and self because this government and 30% of the population don't care if you get it.

It may be good to stop lecturing, but no it is absolutely not time to stop encouraging mask use and distancing.  My immune system, btw, is sick and if I could improve it, I would.  Lots of people with asthma and other illnesses can’t just decide to improve their health. 

Protecting myself is something I can do, but it’s not all I can do.  I can ask you to act with decency and with social responsibility until we get an effective vaccine.  I’m not even close to giving up on that.

« Reply #4730 on: July 04, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
This guy has to be the biggest idiot in America right now

« Reply #4731 on: July 04, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
This guy has to be the biggest idiot in America right now

It’s almost too much to believe that this is our president. 

« Reply #4732 on: July 04, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2457
When will we ever have a clear message from the federal government? Stupid is killing more people than the virus:

"Surgeon General Jerome Adams wouldn't give a yes or no answer during an appearance on the "Today" show asked if he would recommend people attend large gatherings over the 4th of July weekend.

When host Craig Melvin asked him if he would advise people to attend large gatherings or not, Adams said, "It's not a yes or no. Every single person has to make up their own mind."

President Donald Trump is hosting large events in Washington D.C. and at Mount Rushmore for Independence Day over the weekend, and masks will not be required at either event.

The CDC currently recommends people do not attend large gatherings, deeming them high-risk."

i agree ,  stupid is killing people and selfishness , not caring for the well being of your fellow statemen and American family.  i m at a loss for the lack of understanding of this situation and how it impacts so many we never met

I was watching a show about the 1940s on History Channel (I think) last night, they talked about how the entire nation sacrificed during WWII, accepting rationing of goods such as sugar, gasoline, butter and milk so they could be provided for the war effort. Doing scrap drives to get rubber because the Japanese conquest of Indonesia had cut off our supply. Buying war bonds. The entire country pulling for each other and making sacrifices for the greater good. Now you can't even get people to wear masks or socially distance because it's too inconvenient and they don't want to be told what to do. Who cares if they're an asymptomatic carrier who might get someone else sick?

Maybe it's because during WWII the country had a clear enemy to focus its anger to, while with Covid the fault is spread everywhere. But it's a shame that we're so divided over even the most basic things that should unite us to stop the pandemic and get our economy back on track.

It is absolutely an act of defiance when people don't wear masks and don't distance at gatherings.  It is people saying "we don't care, we can do what we want."    It is adolescent, and it is behavior precisely in the image of our leader.

FDR asked Americans to use their freedom and choose sacrifice in a time of crisis; Trump asks Americans to use their freedom and choose to put one another at risk in a time of crisis.  FDR pointed his finger at America's enemies -- Hitler and Japan.   Trump points his finger at his own enemies -- the media and democrats.

seems such a small sacrifice for each American  to make to save the life of a fellow human .  Wear a mask in public places , stay out of crowds and keep a space between youself and others . Wash yourhands often. Basic respect. The USA has become a free for all anything goes anytime you want it  .  The past. era s of one for all , a united effort for a common cause seems like a pipe dream of the past.  Only in history books .

« Reply #4733 on: July 04, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White

seems such a small sacrifice for each American  to make to save the life of a fellow human .  Wear a mask in public places , stay out of crowds and keep a space between youself and others . Wash yourhands often. Basic respect. The USA has become a free for all anything goes anytime you want it  . The past. era s of one for all , a united effort for a common cause seems like a pipe dream of the past.  Only in history books .

Wouldn’t that be what Makes America Great? 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:25:56 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #4734 on: July 05, 2020, 05:16:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
11,458 new cases in Florida alone yesterday, breaking another record. Positivity rate of 14%. People still out and about without masks and with minimal social distancing.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-florida-coronavirus-saturday-july-4-20200704-e5lqdwvuhrcb5f2ynyplzprtrq-story.html

Meanwhile in Australia the state of Victoria and the city of Melbourne (where @gouki88 lives) has resumed a partial shutdown and is doing testing of everyone in the affected hotspots, whether they show symptoms or not, because they have had a resurgence of cases from 10 a day to 100 yesterday.

It's really just a difference in culture isn't it. I guess it's easier to keep people indoors in Australia since it's winter there (their winter is more like San Diego's winter though).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4735 on: July 05, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
11,458 new cases in Florida alone yesterday, breaking another record. Positivity rate of 14%. People still out and about without masks and with minimal social distancing.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-florida-coronavirus-saturday-july-4-20200704-e5lqdwvuhrcb5f2ynyplzprtrq-story.html

Meanwhile in Australia the state of Victoria and the city of Melbourne (where @gouki88 lives) has resumed a partial shutdown and is doing testing of everyone in the affected hotspots, whether they show symptoms or not, because they have had a resurgence of cases from 10 a day to 100 yesterday.

It's really just a difference in culture isn't it. I guess it's easier to keep people indoors in Australia since it's winter there (their winter is more like San Diego's winter though).

Completely different culture indeed.  My county in suburban Washington, DC has been touting its success getting cases down to 50-100 a day and thus being ready to reopen, despite having about a fifth of the population of Melbourne.

« Reply #4736 on: July 05, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 786
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's really interesting here, to say the least. Locking down individual post-codes where intra-community transmission has been increasing significantly is certainly something. However, it really is not good optics for our state government. The places they're locking down are, for the most part, low socio-economic migrant suburbs - aka, the people unable to stay home from work and whatnot without being really hit.

The worst thing to have happened is locking down our commission housing, with up to 500 police ensuring that people don't leave for nonessential reasons. However, surprise surprise, the police are doing a bad job, and are harassing people trying to feed their families. Many of the residents in these places feel as if they've been imprisoned (the conditions of these buildings are really not too flash). I think the way our premier has handled this has been really bad from the get-go. Very little community outreach into non-English speaking neighbourhoods to try and drive home the importance of what was going on.

However, there's also the stupid element in suburbs like Broadmeadows, where people are just disregarding the common sense and acting as if it's nothing to worry about.

Victoria has overnight become the black sheep state of Australia

« Reply #4737 on: July 05, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1256
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism

It's really crazy to see how most of it is going down in South Florida. I mean, this isn't necessarily surprising, given the population density compared to the rest of the state; but, for people politicizing this as a liberal vs conservative thing, it should be noted that South FL is heavily liberal/Democrat. As far as mask wearing; while most weren't wearing them to stores during the shutdown, people have had to adapt to changing rules since re-opening began. Entire counties have a mask wearing requirements and you can't enter a store without one. It's totally bizarre that it took so long for a surge to occur in FL.

Looking at the figures, it is clear that FL is testing a lot more than they previously were (no, I don't think this accounts for the alarming statistics) and the amount deaths/day really hasn't risen much. Obviously there is a lag between new cases are reported and deaths occur, but the surge we are seeing now began about 3 weeks ago. Compared to states like NY and NJ, it is like we are seeing an entirely different virus - in terms of severity - than the one we saw back in Apr/May. That really would be a fantastic development if that holds.

« Reply #4738 on: July 05, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211
Another recent study attempting to estimate the spread of virus:

Using influenza surveillance networks to estimate state-specific prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in the United States
https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/22/scitranslmed.abc1126

« Reply #4739 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
Ugh, I found out yesterday that a good friend of mine who lives in FL tested positive for COVID. He said he's asymptomatic though and that he's been quarantining for the time being  :(

He and a group of friends/coworkers were tested after it was identified that they were in close proximity with someone who did test positive and had symptoms not too long ago. They got tested and a few of them (including my friend) came back positive, but all asymptomatic. He does wear a mask often btw

Also, there's a lot of reports today saying that many of the TX hospitals, including those in major cities, have reached full capacity and are scrambling for beds and units. That's... not good at all. Especially since July 4th was just yesterday and we could see the effects of that in the next few weeks.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:16:24 PM by Phantom255x »