Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 214205 times)

Hoopvortex and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #4140 on: May 30, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1340
  • On To Banner 18!
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

We hit 100,000 deaths just a few days ago, and now that value has already increased to 105,000+

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet here but one person from the Lake of the Ozarks gathering has tested positive for COVID, and they are testing more. All I have to say is, good luck to all who attended it. Hope it was worth the risk  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4141 on: May 30, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1371
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

We hit 100,000 deaths just a few days ago, and now that value has already increased to 105,000+

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet here but one person from the Lake of the Ozarks gathering has tested positive for COVID, and they are testing more. All I have to say is, good luck to all who attended it. Hope it was worth the risk  ::)

No leadership at all in this country. The death tolls in America compared to other counties is crazy.

« Reply #4142 on: May 30, 2020, 09:37:03 PM »

Online slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9340
"President Donald Trump is insisting the Republican National Convention be held without social distancing measures and without the presence of facial coverings, a spokesperson for North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Friday.

Trump has previously threatened to move the convention from North Carolina, claiming that the state's Democrat governor was in a "shutdown mood" and hadn't committed to allowing full attendance at the event.

Both Texas and Georgia have offered to host the 2020 RNC — scheduled for the end of August — if the event is pulled from North Carolina."
would like to see them not only move it to ensure full, open contact amongst attendees but also move up the convention so that anyone foolish enough to attend that fiasco catches the likely infections pre-election so that the reckless disregard for public health by this administration can be better exposed to those that may still be in denial.  wouldn't object to Trump getting a lot of direct contact exposure with his constituents either.   sounds rotten but I've really had enough of him and his supporters.

« Reply #4143 on: May 30, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2454
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

No leadership at all in this country. The death tolls in America compared to other counties is crazy.

its been going back up again.  1000 1500 plus souls lost  a day is insane . 30K a month to die for how many more months ???

I believe on top of this the death total , IF it was actually proved would be much higher , by a mount that the goverments REALLY Really just don't want to share or be truthful about .   It is always in the best interest of the leaders to lie to protect their behinds . Save their jobs and screw the public six ways from sunday  >:(

Pretending this death rate is OK is an outrageous atrocity by any goverment official of any party.

« Reply #4144 on: May 31, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »

Online Hoopvortex

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 109
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Yes, that is our grim reality.

On April 21st, Mr. Trump said, “Right now we are heading to 50,000 and according to the projections we will end up with 60,000 by the end of the pandemic.”

On April 25th, Mr. Pence (who is still head of the Coronavirus Task Force - remember them?) predicted that this would all be over soon. “I think honestly, if you look at the trends today, that I think by Memorial Day weekend we will have this coronavirus epidemic behind us.”

Having said that, our numbers have shown an encouraging improvement in the last few weeks. On May 26th we had a five-day average of 838 deaths per day (I’m using Worldometers and assembling the data in my own spreadsheet - caveat!); that’s the lowest since early April.

While that is unambiguous good news, it’s critical to recognize that this mainly represents big changes just in the two worst-hit states; in fact, New York and New Jersey are two of only three states that have met the federal benchmarks for re-opening. (For example, a great many states have proceeded to relax social restrictions without first having 14 straight days of >5% decline in new cases.)

Missouri is particularly worrisome. The 14-day trend in new infections is +38%; they’re testing at 14% of their federal quota; and, most of concern, their testing positivity rate is 14.9% and increasing (anything over 5% means they’re missing a lot of infections, and anything over 10% is a red flag for exponential growth).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:24:01 AM by Hoopvortex »
"The initial response to the outbreak of a pandemic has always been denial. National and local governments have always been late to respond and have distorted facts and manipulated figures to deny the existence of the outbreak.”

Orhan Pamuk

« Reply #4145 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Yes, that is our grim reality.

On April 21st, Mr. Trump said, “Right now we are heading to 50,000 and according to the projections we will end up with 60,000 by the end of the pandemic.”

On April 25th, Mr. Pence (who is still head of the Coronavirus Task Force - remember them?) predicted that this would all be over soon. “I think honestly, if you look at the trends today, that I think by Memorial Day weekend we will have this coronavirus epidemic behind us.”

Having said that, our numbers have shown an encouraging improvement in the last few weeks. On May 26th we had a five-day average of 838 deaths per day (I’m using Worldometers and assembling the data in my own spreadsheet - caveat!); that’s the lowest since early April.

While that is unambiguous good news, it’s critical to recognize that this mainly represents big changes just in the two worst-hit states; in fact, New York and New Jersey are two of only three states that have met the federal benchmarks for re-opening. (For example, a great many states have proceeded to relax social restrictions without first having 14 straight days of >5% decline in new cases.)

Missouri is particularly worrisome. The 14-day trend in new infections is +38%; they’re testing at 14% of their federal quota; and, most of concern, their testing positivity rate is 14.9% and increasing (anything over 5% means they’re missing a lot of infections, and anything over 10% is a red flag for exponential growth).

TP. All well said.

Also, in Missouri there was also the case where in one salon, two hair stylists who took in customers over the past month tested positive, and so they likely exposed another 150+ of their customers as a result.

Overall, yes the trends are certainly a little more encouraging especially compared to what it looked like in April. And keep in mind, many of the deaths happening now are probably patients who came down with COVID when it was at it's "surge" in many places (mid-April). Still tragic, but you'd hope that in June/July it gets better.

Ultimately, the problem is, they acted way too late and as others mentioned above, there is simply a lack of leadership in the U.S. It's a joke with this Administration. Yes, social distancing and other measures probably prevented the U.S from having death tolls even surpassing 500,000+ by now as some projections state. Unfortunately, that still means we'll likely have a death toll of over 200,000 here, and that's assuming there's no "second wave" in the Fall/Winter.

Dr. Fauci said back then - contradicting Pence in April - that this would last for a while, and he felt the death toll may actually increase in upwards to 100,000-140,000. It'll be even more than that though :(

« Reply #4146 on: May 31, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 493
I think a second wave is coming very soon, with all this protest/rioting/looting going on across America.

Expect number of cases to spike hard.

« Reply #4147 on: May 31, 2020, 04:22:55 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
"ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from COVID-19, with 33,415 people dying since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21. It has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019."

« Reply #4148 on: May 31, 2020, 05:03:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
"ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from COVID-19, with 33,415 people dying since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21. It has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019."

I’m curious, how does a virus weaken?  This is way beyond my expertise.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #4149 on: May 31, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053

No medical expert but I do know viruses mutate and not all mutations are a bad thing. Perhaps the virus mutated into a state that makes it less transmutable and lethal to humans.

« Reply #4150 on: May 31, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

This my limited understanding without being an expert in virology:

Viruses have to weaken as time passes by ... otherwise no pandemic would ever go away.

I would think if a healthy person fights off the virus but spreads it to someone else as he or she is about to finish it off - the virus that goes from the “strong” person to the new person mutates slightly but In the process “loses some of its capabilities to highjack human organs and tissue.
If the virus mutates and while becoming stronger it just kills off the people it infected and can’t keep multiplying ...

In a way if a virus becomes so deadly that it kills off everyone eventually that will kill the virus itself because it needs a hair body to exist. It’s like a “divine” intervention that is not very well explained by science yet.

Humans have survived pandemics for millions of years ... I would bet that our time hasn’t come yet.

« Reply #4151 on: May 31, 2020, 05:52:47 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

Viruses have to weaken as time passes by ... otherwise no pandemic would ever go away.

I would think if a healthy person fights off the virus but spreads it to someone else as he or she is about to finish it off - the virus that goes from the “strong” person to the new person mutates slightly but In the process “loses some of its capabilities to highjack human organs and tissue.
If the virus mutates and while becoming stronger it just kills off the people it infected and can’t keep multiplying ...

In a way if a virus becomes so deadly that it kills off everyone eventually that will kill the virus itself because it needs a hair body to exist. It’s like a “divine” intervention that is not very well explained by science yet.

Humans have survived pandemics for millions of years ... I would bet that our time hasn’t come yet.

So my apologies if I've misinterpreted the above post, but there is no actual scientific basis to  assert that viruses do weaken overtime. Virus' can change, and that change can alter trasmisibility, incubation time, lethality, ect, but theres no uniform selection pressure making virus less deadly.

What does happen is populations develop herd immunity over time. Ever person infected is one less a virus can infect and one potential link in a transmission chain removed. That means as an outbreak continues enough people become immune that spread will artificially begin to slow. This can easily be misinterpreted as weakening.

Random mutation can also change a virus, but it can just as easily make it more deadly. The Spanish flu for example came back more lethal in its second year. So maybe this virus mutated into something less deadly, if so that's a tremendous bit of luck.

So what's happening in Italy? Who knows. We need to hear alot more than from a couple doctors claiming viral load is lessening to believe its "weakening"

« Reply #4152 on: May 31, 2020, 05:54:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!

In addition to what @nick and @NYKfan stated above, another way to interpret a virus "weakening" is simply the fact that the human body has adjusted to providing defenses against it once it enters the body.

You have to realize that just because one virus might cause more damage than another kind, it doesn't have to mean that it's more powerful than the other. There's a lot of factors to it, which I'm sure geneticists, biologists, epidemiologists and other like-minded professionals can go more in-depth on.

Part of the reason why Coronavirus seemed so contagious and "scary" early on was because we have no pre-existing defenses since our bodies don’t immediately recognize it as a dangerous intruder. It’s like when our body allows things to enter, usually through the mouth or nose, and once it's inside the immune systems provide security and battle something that is considered "foreign" (meaning something established as not good for you). Unfortunately with COVID, which is considered a "new thing", the body lets the coronavirus in without immediately recognizing its danger and once it does, it might be too late and you have it with the symptoms. Or, the immune system simply doesn't know what to do. 

Even for asymptomatic people, the virus was inside them but over time, the immune system worked towards trying to combat it. And it took quarantining and social distancing to ensure that the virus wouldn't spread either.

There's no real way to tell, but I would not be shocked if there were actually TONS of people who had or have COVID that were asymptomatic. Remember, testing capacity early on was also very limited. Research studies have been conducted on it recently but frankly, the sample sizes are still too small and most of them don't account for March and early April.

Of course though, mutations occur with most viruses and Coronavirus is no different. It's possible though, as Nickagneta alluded to above, that it mutated into a state where it's not as contagious anymore even if it infects "the new host" (a person), and is also having difficulty replicating which means it can't spread as easily. Just like the common flu, it'll still exist though and until a vaccine or medicine arrives, social distancing and wearing face coverings as much as possible is the way to go. "The new normal"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:03:56 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #4153 on: May 31, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson

So my apologies if I've misinterpreted the above post, but there is no actual scientific basis to  assert that viruses do weaken overtime. Virus' can change, and that change can alter trasmisibility, incubation time, lethality, ect, but theres no uniform selection pressure making virus less deadly.

What does happen is populations develop herd immunity over time. Ever person infected is one less a virus can infect and one potential link in a transmission chain removed. That means as an outbreak continues enough people become immune that spread will artificially begin to slow. This can easily be misinterpreted as weakening.

Random mutation can also change a virus, but it can just as easily make it more deadly. The Spanish flu for example came back more lethal in its second year. So maybe this virus mutated into something less deadly, if so that's a tremendous bit of luck.

So what's happening in Italy? Who knows. We need to hear alot more than from a couple doctors claiming viral load is lessening to believe its "weakening"

Agreed. I just thought it might be a scrap of good news for a change.

« Reply #4154 on: May 31, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2454

Agreed. I just thought it might be a scrap of good news for a change.

blimey , certainly  sounded good while it lasted ... :P