Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 214254 times)

hpantazo, Hoopvortex and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #3975 on: May 24, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1371
To your point, Liam, not too many people worried about Covid at Lake of the Ozarks...

OMG. Was that today?

« Reply #3976 on: May 24, 2020, 08:06:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 440
To your point, Liam, not too many people worried about Covid at Lake of the Ozarks...

OMG. Was that today?

It's dated yesterday. It's at a waterfront bar called Backwater Jack's that was having a party called "No Ducks Given". There's an article in the Washington Post about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/24/lake-ozarks-missouri-coronavirus-social-distancing/

Some people are tired of social distancing and lockdowns and just want to get hammered on Keystone I guess  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3977 on: May 24, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson

OMG. Was that today?

It's dated yesterday. It's at a waterfront bar called Backwater Jack's that was having a party called "No Ducks Given". There's an article in the Washington Post about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/24/lake-ozarks-missouri-coronavirus-social-distancing/

Some people are tired of social distancing and lockdowns and just want to get hammered on Keystone I guess  :angel:

Frightening...

« Reply #3979 on: May 24, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Interesting read...

How does this compare to the Hong Kong flu? Nathaniel Moir, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, said there were few precautions taken during the H3N2 pandemic other than washing hands and staying home when sick.

“It was like the pandemic hadn’t even happened if you look for it in history books,” he said. “I am still shocked at how differently people addressed — or maybe even ignored it — in 1968 compared to 2020.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

« Reply #3980 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 493

OMG. Was that today?

Frightening...

Weren't there like thousands of people crowding up at Daytona Beach today with no masks? Them Floridians...

« Reply #3981 on: May 24, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1340
  • On To Banner 18!

OMG. Was that today?

Frightening...

Missouri has been in the news the past few days for all the wrong reasons.

In addition to that incident, there are two hair stylists who took in customers over the past month at the same hair salon they work for, and the hair stylists tested positive for COVID. Meaning they likely exposed a combined 200+ customers as a result. Reports also say they went to other local businesses around the area so they could have exposed even more. Yikes
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3982 on: May 25, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
Does all this "We have to open up the beaches" stuff remind anyone else of the movie Jaws?

« Reply #3983 on: May 25, 2020, 02:44:15 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Interesting read...

How does this compare to the Hong Kong flu? Nathaniel Moir, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, said there were few precautions taken during the H3N2 pandemic other than washing hands and staying home when sick.

“It was like the pandemic hadn’t even happened if you look for it in history books,” he said. “I am still shocked at how differently people addressed — or maybe even ignored it — in 1968 compared to 2020.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/
Corona was overblown by the media what is so surprising?

« Reply #3984 on: May 25, 2020, 02:46:53 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:
These stats are meaningless without knowing all the context and how they were collected

« Reply #3985 on: May 25, 2020, 07:50:22 AM »

Online jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1249
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism
Does all this "We have to open up the beaches" stuff remind anyone else of the movie Jaws?

Going to the beach is considered one of the least risky [summer] activities by experts so I see no reason why people shouldn't be going out and enjoying the sunshine/ocean responsibly. I don't know what it's like in the northeast, but there are literally barriers and security people at the busiest beaches in FL. I saw this at Clearwater Beach on long bike rides the last two weekends and decided on Treasure Island Beach instead.

On a related note, many of these places look extremely busy - too busy - from onlookers, but keeping 6-10 feet of distance from other groups is really quite easy on a huge space like the beach. It's really only the length of a person.

« Reply #3986 on: May 25, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 767
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:
These stats are meaningless without knowing all the context and how they were collected
meaningless? really?

« Reply #3987 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
Interesting read...

in 1968-1969 100,000 people died in the US.  We already have 100,000 dead in a few months with social distancing. This is the beginning of this thing not the end.

« Reply #3988 on: May 25, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »

Online liam

• Dennis Johnson
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:
meaningless? really?

Not meaningless to the families and friends of the 100,000 people who are dead. Numbers are most likely a lot higher.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:01:28 AM by liam »

« Reply #3989 on: May 25, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Interesting read...

in 1968-1969 100,000 people died in the US.  We already have 100,000 dead in a few months with social distancing. This is the beginning of this thing not the end.

Oh, I'm not denying more total people will die from COVID-19 than H3N2.  The planet is vastly more populated today than it was in 1969.  Of course more people are going to die.  The more the planet becomes further overpopulated the worse pandemics will inherently become since we're not just talking about linear population growth, we're dealing with exponential population density growth as well as an increased ability to access different parts of the planet more easily.

But it is also apparent the gulf in media saturation and the advent of social media has greatly changed how humans react to events since 1969.  That can be both good and bad.  I think we've seen plenty evidence of both.

People can form their own opinions and conclusions.  I just thought it was an interesting read from a purely observational aspect.