Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 170951 times)

NKY fan, mobilija, saltlover, jambr380 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #3960 on: May 23, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2442
Patrick Ewing has tested positive for Covid.

Luv Patrick,  prayers out .....he d better get well soon .   If he leaves us ,  that won't help the  NBA case to resume soon .

« Reply #3961 on: May 23, 2020, 05:31:56 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 67

Luv Patrick,  prayers out .....he d better get well soon .   If he leaves us ,  that won't help the  NBA case to resume soon .
He should be fine. He's only in his 50's and no known pre-existing conditions. He's isolated in a hospital so it's not like he's at home quarantined. It's a little serious but not critical.

« Reply #3962 on: May 23, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 747

He should be fine. He's only in his 50's and no known pre-existing conditions. He's isolated in a hospital so it's not like he's at home quarantined. It's a little serious but not critical.

He's 57 years old and overweight. Considering he's hospitalized, that's not a good sign. He should come through ok, but he is at some degree of risk at the moment just by definition of being hospitalized.

« Reply #3963 on: May 24, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 67

He's 57 years old and overweight. Considering he's hospitalized, that's not a good sign. He should come through ok, but he is at some degree of risk at the moment just by definition of being hospitalized.
He's not in intensive care so like I said "it's a little serious but not critical". Serious enough to be hospitalized. I don't see what the point is other than he's a bit overweight. If he doesn't have any respiratory issues then him being still young enough is enough to overcome this virus. Unless something changes in the next day or two I'm thinking he'll be out and about in two weeks.

« Reply #3964 on: May 24, 2020, 01:09:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 433
Read an interesting article in the Globe on the possible future of air travel. I will link to the story below but here is a summary:

Already happening with some airlines/airports:
  • adjusting seating to try to keep the middle seat free, or notifying you if someone is seated next to you so you can re-book (many airlines now doing)
  • rapid testing at the airport (now being done by Emirates)
  • passengers entering a decontamination chamber that blasts passengers with a full body decontaminant for 40 seconds (Hong Kong airport)
  • robots roaming the airport to kill germs with UV rays (Hong Kong airport)
  • thermal imaging cameras to identify travelers with high temperatures (London Heathrow, many other European airports)
  • eliminating large carry on luggage that causes delays and bottlenecks in boarding and disembarking (Emirates)
  • asking for permission to use the lavatory to minimize crowds around the lavatory (Ryanair - remember they were the ones who wanted to charge to use the lavatory before, now they may get their wish)

Proposed:
  • passengers submitting medical information online before leaving for the airport
  • be able to print luggage tags at home and drop off your check in luggage at the belt yourself
  • immunity passports
  • arriving at airport 4 hours prior to flight to undergo disinfecting procedures, and to maintain social distancing while boarding

Full article at https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/23/lifestyle/future-flight-immunity-passports-unexpected-border-closings-no-carry-ons/

As someone who travels a lot I'm curious to see what this new future of air travel will look like. It won't be fun that's for sure  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3965 on: May 24, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1726
Read an interesting article in the Globe on the possible future of air travel. I will link to the story below but here is a summary:

Already happening with some airlines/airports:
  • adjusting seating to try to keep the middle seat free, or notifying you if someone is seated next to you so you can re-book (many airlines now doing)
  • rapid testing at the airport (now being done by Emirates)
  • passengers entering a decontamination chamber that blasts passengers with a full body decontaminant for 40 seconds (Hong Kong airport)
  • robots roaming the airport to kill germs with UV rays (Hong Kong airport)
  • thermal imaging cameras to identify travelers with high temperatures (London Heathrow, many other European airports)
  • eliminating large carry on luggage that causes delays and bottlenecks in boarding and disembarking (Emirates)
  • asking for permission to use the lavatory to minimize crowds around the lavatory (Ryanair - remember they were the ones who wanted to charge to use the lavatory before, now they may get their wish)

Proposed:
  • passengers submitting medical information online before leaving for the airport
  • be able to print luggage tags at home and drop off your check in luggage at the belt yourself
  • immunity passports
  • arriving at airport 4 hours prior to flight to undergo disinfecting procedures, and to maintain social distancing while boarding

Full article at https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/23/lifestyle/future-flight-immunity-passports-unexpected-border-closings-no-carry-ons/

As someone who travels a lot I'm curious to see what this new future of air travel will look like. It won't be fun that's for sure  :-\

For frequent travelers these changes will probably suck.  For me - I am always stressed out by travel - in large part because of all the physical closeness, the person behind me or next to me coughing and sneezing, the uncleanliness of the cabin, the packed human lines at checkin, boarding and awaiting departure, the general grossness of airline/airplane bathrooms....  Last flight I took, my wife and I shared a row with a woman and her caged cat - both smelled like litter box to be honest.  And I frequently get sick within days after a flight.  Anyway - Iíve been an adult for more than 40 years and have sucked it up every time - I donít  complain about it ó itís the price you pay to get somewhere fast.  I admit some of the changes - especially no one in the middle seat ó sound pretty good to me.

« Reply #3966 on: May 24, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27172
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
adjusting seating to try to keep the middle seat free, or notifying you if someone is seated next to you so you can re-book (many airlines now doing)

This seems fairly useless, doesnít it?  2 feet of distance isnít going to prevent any spread, and youíll have potential germ spreaders beside, in front of, and behind you.

In my mind, nobody in a risk group should be flying right now.  Itís their choice, but it seems to risky to me.

robots roaming the airport to kill germs with UV rays (Hong Kong airport)

I am pretty sure that this is how the Great Robot War is going to start.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #3967 on: May 24, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1356
adjusting seating to try to keep the middle seat free, or notifying you if someone is seated next to you so you can re-book (many airlines now doing)

This seems fairly useless, doesnít it?  2 feet of distance isnít going to prevent any spread, and youíll have potential germ spreaders beside, in front of, and behind you.

In my mind, nobody in a risk group should be flying right now.  Itís their choice, but it seems to risky to me.

The Great Robot War has already begun!

« Reply #3968 on: May 24, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1726

No question that risk groups shouldn't be flying and that is the route I'm taking for as long as possible.  But there are those in high risk groups who will need to travel.   

The advice of a Dr. I heard the other day is, to me, the most sound and practical:  There are degrees of safety -- if you can be at home, be home, if you can do remote meetings, do them, if you can meet outside, meet outside, if you can wear a mask, wear a mask, if you can be with people for less than 10 minutes, do so, if you can avoid singing in church, avoid singing, if you can physically distance, then distance, if you can't be 10 feet, be 6 feet, if you can't be 6 feet, be 3 feet.  It's all a continuum of safety.  If everyone does their best under whatever their circumstances are, we'll all be better off. 

« Reply #3969 on: May 24, 2020, 05:49:18 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

« Reply #3970 on: May 24, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 749

'begun this Great Robot War has'
-yoda

« Reply #3971 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson

'begun this Great Robot War has'
-yoda

TP

« Reply #3972 on: May 24, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson

« Reply #3973 on: May 24, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
To your point, Liam, not too many people worried about Covid at Lake of the Ozarks...

« Reply #3974 on: May 24, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas

It is...ideally on a typical 737 that has a 3-3 seating configuration, you would need seat people on the windows to keep the 6 feet of distance between then, then you would have to keep alternate rows free (or even 2 rows). And with no way of being dispersed in a pressurized environment virus particles would stay in the air longer so even 6 feet might not be enough. Unfortunately airlines run on pretty small margins and have high fixed costs, if they did that they'd either have to double/triple ticket prices or go out of business. I'm pretty sure the age of low prices is over. And there will probably be some industry consolidation in the next couple of years, unless all the government aid keeps them afloat.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:56:46 PM by ozgod »