Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 170999 times)

Roy H., Silas, heyvik and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #3945 on: May 22, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 747
Chloroquine study published today in The Lancet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

96,032 hospitalized patients in the sample.

Results much more unequivocal than the VA study.

After controlling for risk factors such as smoking and previous lung disease, there was a dramatic increase in mortality shown in the treated group. Hydroxychloroquine by itself roughly doubled the risk of death, while hydroxy- plus an antibiotic was even worse, at about 2.5 times the mortality.

Will Mr. Trump continue to promote this scam now?

Wow.  How does anyone positively spin the taking of Hydroxychloroquine and the refusal of mask-wearing? Donald will die on both hills undoubtedly.  Hopefully not literally.

He will chalk this up as 'politically biased studies' , which is absurd as these are large scale scientific studies from across the world conducted by many different groups, and his supporters will drink it all up.

« Reply #3946 on: May 22, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1356
apparently the Senate has now adjourned so any modifications to the existing aid packages to fix identified issues/loopholes or any new relief packages aren't happening for awhile.

Do they still get paid? More than 600$  ::)

« Reply #3947 on: May 22, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
This will easily be over 100,000 deaths by Memorial Day:

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

« Reply #3948 on: May 22, 2020, 04:15:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1726

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Looks that way, but for some reason the deaths reported by Worldometer which is where I think your stats are coming from, are always a little higher than other sources (on CNN for example).   

« Reply #3949 on: May 22, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 59
Trump won't wear a mask in front of cameras because he doesn't want to "give the press the pleasure of seeing it"

What a great man.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/politics/donald-trump-michigan-masks/index.html

I'm thankful that I get to see a lot less of Trump nowadays on TV than back in March/April. So thankful

He looks like a drunk centaur the way he stands.  Yes, I stole that off Twitter.

« Reply #3950 on: May 22, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1326
  • On To Banner 18!

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Looks that way, but for some reason the deaths reported by Worldometer which is where I think your stats are coming from, are always a little higher than other sources (on CNN for example).

Yeah, like the Johns Hopkins map has the death total around 95,500, but I think it depends on when the sources actually update their numbers. That's where a lot of the discrepancy seems to be.

Either way, it looks like 100,000+ will happen on or just shortly after Memorial Day, and I'm guessing the U.S may actually surpass 2 million total cases by mid-June. Especially with more states beginning to reopen now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3951 on: May 22, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 97

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

After controlling for risk factors such as smoking and previous lung disease, there was a dramatic increase in mortality shown in the treated group. Hydroxychloroquine by itself roughly doubled the risk of death, while hydroxy- plus an antibiotic was even worse, at about 2.5 times the mortality.

Wow.  How does anyone positively spin the taking of Hydroxychloroquine and the refusal of mask-wearing? Donald will die on both hills undoubtedly.  Hopefully not literally.

He will chalk this up as 'politically biased studies' , which is absurd as these are large scale scientific studies from across the world conducted by many different groups, and his supporters will drink it all up.

The whole business has certainly been odd - why would he be promoting a med at all, and why this one particularly? Why take it, as he claims he has, if he doesn’t have the virus? Even the anecdotal study that the flimsy claims were based on didn’t show any evidence about the drug as a preventative. Why was Dr. Bright removed, after he opposed the government acquiring a large amount of the drug?

That old legal question springs to mind: cui bono? - who stands to gain?
∑ Celtics executive on Brownís future: ďAll-Star. Multiple times. Just like Jayson. Everyone loves Kawhi and PG as a wing duo. We think we have our own version growing right here in Boston. Itís gonna take a couple more years, but those guys are stars. And neither has an ego. They just want to play and win.Ē

« Reply #3952 on: May 22, 2020, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman

The whole business has certainly been odd - why would he be promoting a med at all, and why this one particularly? Why take it, as he claims he has, if he doesnít have the virus? Even the anecdotal study that the flimsy claims were based on didnít show any evidence about the drug as a preventative. Why was Dr. Bright removed, after he opposed the government acquiring a large amount of the drug?

I'm convinced he and his companies are in some way profiting from this. There's probably a well thought out way to hide the trail, but he's got to be profiting from it.

« Reply #3953 on: May 22, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27172
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

The whole business has certainly been odd - why would he be promoting a med at all, and why this one particularly? Why take it, as he claims he has, if he doesnít have the virus? Even the anecdotal study that the flimsy claims were based on didnít show any evidence about the drug as a preventative. Why was Dr. Bright removed, after he opposed the government acquiring a large amount of the drug?

I'm convinced he and his companies are in some way profiting from this. There's probably a well thought out way to hide the trail, but he's got to be profiting from it.

I think that it may be simpler than that. He canít admit heís wrong, and if he doubles down, many of his voters will assume that he was right.

The vast majority of voters in our society do not do any independent research. They are not looking at scientific studies, they are simply believing what their favorite media source is telling them.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #3954 on: May 22, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis

Not that this is any proof of anything but I've heard DJT speak of his being a germaphobe on many occasions.   Certainly his mask avoidance would belie that diagnosis.  But additionally confusing -- as a Neurotic Guy myself -- is the taking of meds that have been suggested to have potentially deleterious effects especially with someone with some heart and weight issues.   

I am having a really hard time buying that he is truly taking this medication (imagine Trump lying?).   I just started a new blood pressure med -- I felt a little strange on it, got a headache, and stopped it. That's what neurotic people do -- we worry about these things.  Guy is giving neurotics a bad name by doing non-neurotic things -- we are a proud bunch, don't tread on us!

« Reply #3955 on: May 22, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 797

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Yeah, like the Johns Hopkins map has the death total around 95,500, but I think it depends on when the sources actually update their numbers. That's where a lot of the discrepancy seems to be.

Either way, it looks like 100,000+ will happen on or just shortly after Memorial Day, and I'm guessing the U.S may actually surpass 2 million total cases by mid-June. Especially with more states beginning to reopen now.

Most of the reporting discrepancies are just a matter of what time of day they stop/start the tally for a 'day'.   One site might use midnight eastern time.  Another might use midnight greenwich time.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3956 on: May 22, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Most of the reporting discrepancies are just a matter of what time of day they stop/start the tally for a 'day'.   One site might use midnight eastern time.  Another might use midnight greenwich time.

Yeah, all the totals end up the same eventually.

« Reply #3957 on: May 22, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
Patrick Ewing has tested positive for Covid.

« Reply #3958 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
Patrick Ewing has tested positive for Covid.

Yeah, he's hospitalized too. He's 57 and a bit overweight. Could be in the higher risk category. I hope he gets through it ok.

« Reply #3959 on: May 23, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
"340,735 people have died so far from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of May 23, 2020."

Back to work for POTUS:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/returning-to-normal-trump-spends-saturday-at-his-golf-course
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:35:19 PM by liam »