Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 170986 times)

mobilija, NKY fan, heyvik and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #2565 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1326
  • On To Banner 18!
This pandemic is also making me lose track of the days. I actually didn't realize today was Friday and tomorrow's Saturday  :P

Unfortunately, most days feel the same now. Boring.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2566 on: April 03, 2020, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 433
One thing I've learned from this experience is that, we often seem to spend way too much time commuting to and from work during the day. Lot of stuff can also be done from home with some of the right technology. Obviously that's not to say we should work from home all the time, but the option to do so 1-2 days a week (depending on profession) would be nice.

I wonder if looking back this will become a watershed moment that changes the global workforce.  Like how World War 2 is credited with giving women/minorities the opportunity to join the mainstream workforce, maybe Coronavirus will be what ends the outdated office environment model and ushers in the corporate work-from-home era. It's showing a lot of jobs are capable of being performed remotely.

Doing some quick math, there's roughly 165m people in the US workforce.  Obviously many jobs can't be done from home, but according to this Atlantic article, 29% of the workforce could perform their job from home.  Let's round up 29% of 165m and call it 50m people.  Now according to this source, as of 2017 only 8m people worked from home.  I think it would be cool if we came out of this with 20m-30m+ working from home full time permanently. 

Now I don't expect office environments to ever completely go away, but I do see how this pandemic could help usher in a new era, something everyone can benefit from.

The former office workers save on the commute, which lessens road congestion for everyone.  Companies can save on real estate/office space and can cast a wider net while looking for talent. Also could cause an influx of cash into smaller, more rural communities while easing demand in the major metro areas if more people aren't forced to live near work.

I know one concern employers have always had about allowing people to work from home is that their productivity would suffer. But from what I've read, productivity usually goes up.  And as someone whose worked for home for years now, I can give several reasons why from first hand experience: not leaving early to beat rush hour or catch a bus or train, not distracted with water cooler chatter, my bathroom is 5 feet away and there's never any lines and it's never closed for cleaning.  No line in my kitchen at lunch.  Less people stopping by my desk to shoot the breeze.  Not spending time walking all over the building to go to different meeting rooms.  Don't have to step out to take a personal call, or waste time looking over my shoulder before I browse the CelticsStrong forums during the day ;)  All that equals more time spent working which means more productivity

Obviously it's job dependent - some jobs you just need to be in the office, others are easier to do from home. Also you need to have good discipline which you, having a lot of experience in working from home, obviously have built - when I left the corporate world to get into my own business it was my first experience primarily working from home and I struggled for the first year or so, I couldn't get into a work cadence at home, I missed the rhythm of being in the office, and the interactions with people. Plus there were too many distractions, I would waste most of the day and not get working until the late afternoon and ended up working into the night. I had to develop some structures, I had to have a separate workspace away from everything else where I could get into "work mode" and I had to be much more task-based than time-based - instead of saying I had 8 hours to do stuff, I changed my mindset to saying I had 3 tasks I wanted to complete, no matter how long it took. That's how I gauged whether my day had been productive or not. Now I love it but it definitely took a change in mindset and I had to work at it otherwise I just spent all day surfing the internet, watching TV, going for walks, etc. :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2567 on: April 04, 2020, 02:38:40 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2121
One thing I've learned from this experience is that, we often seem to spend way too much time commuting to and from work during the day. Lot of stuff can also be done from home with some of the right technology. Obviously that's not to say we should work from home all the time, but the option to do so 1-2 days a week (depending on profession) would be nice.

I wonder if looking back this will become a watershed moment that changes the global workforce.  Like how World War 2 is credited with giving women/minorities the opportunity to join the mainstream workforce, maybe Coronavirus will be what ends the outdated office environment model and ushers in the corporate work-from-home era. It's showing a lot of jobs are capable of being performed remotely.

Doing some quick math, there's roughly 165m people in the US workforce.  Obviously many jobs can't be done from home, but according to this Atlantic article, 29% of the workforce could perform their job from home.  Let's round up 29% of 165m and call it 50m people.  Now according to this source, as of 2017 only 8m people worked from home.  I think it would be cool if we came out of this with 20m-30m+ working from home full time permanently. 

Now I don't expect office environments to ever completely go away, but I do see how this pandemic could help usher in a new era, something everyone can benefit from.

The former office workers save on the commute, which lessens road congestion for everyone.  Companies can save on real estate/office space and can cast a wider net while looking for talent. Also could cause an influx of cash into smaller, more rural communities while easing demand in the major metro areas if more people aren't forced to live near work.

I know one concern employers have always had about allowing people to work from home is that their productivity would suffer. But from what I've read, productivity usually goes up.  And as someone whose worked for home for years now, I can give several reasons why from first hand experience: not leaving early to beat rush hour or catch a bus or train, not distracted with water cooler chatter, my bathroom is 5 feet away and there's never any lines and it's never closed for cleaning.  No line in my kitchen at lunch.  Less people stopping by my desk to shoot the breeze.  Not spending time walking all over the building to go to different meeting rooms.  Don't have to step out to take a personal call, or waste time looking over my shoulder before I browse the CelticsStrong forums during the day ;)  All that equals more time spent working which means more productivity

Obviously it's job dependent - some jobs you just need to be in the office, others are easier to do from home. Also you need to have good discipline which you, having a lot of experience in working from home, obviously have built - when I left the corporate world to get into my own business it was my first experience primarily working from home and I struggled for the first year or so, I couldn't get into a work cadence at home, I missed the rhythm of being in the office, and the interactions with people. Plus there were too many distractions, I would waste most of the day and not get working until the late afternoon and ended up working into the night. I had to develop some structures, I had to have a separate workspace away from everything else where I could get into "work mode" and I had to be much more task-based than time-based - instead of saying I had 8 hours to do stuff, I changed my mindset to saying I had 3 tasks I wanted to complete, no matter how long it took. That's how I gauged whether my day had been productive or not. Now I love it but it definitely took a change in mindset and I had to work at it otherwise I just spent all day surfing the internet, watching TV, going for walks, etc. :laugh:

To me that sounds like less of a working-from-home problem and more of a not-reporting-to-anybody problem.  Because those are the same problems I have when I try to get side projects done every weekend.  ;)

Embarrassing to admit, but one area that really slipped when I started working from home was personal hygiene.

I don't know how it is for most people, but my normal routine was always to shower / brush my teeth before I left the house.  Once I stopped leaving the house regularly, I lost my trigger to perform those activities (would still brush my teeth before bed, but only brushing 1x a day is definitely not recommended). It took some conscious effort to adjust those habits back to normal/healthy/pleasant standards.

Anybody notice they're starting to slip in the hygiene area while stuck at home now?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2568 on: April 04, 2020, 08:09:42 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1726

To me that sounds like less of a working-from-home problem and more of a not-reporting-to-anybody problem.  Because those are the same problems I have when I try to get side projects done every weekend.  ;)

Embarrassing to admit, but one area that really slipped when I started working from home was personal hygiene.

I don't know how it is for most people, but my normal routine was always to shower / brush my teeth before I left the house.  Once I stopped leaving the house regularly, I lost my trigger to perform those activities (would still brush my teeth before bed, but only brushing 1x a day is definitely not recommended). It took some conscious effort to adjust those habits back to normal/healthy/pleasant standards.

Anybody notice they're starting to slip in the hygiene area while stuck at home now?

One of the things that regulates us cognitively and emotionally is routine and schedule.  Without them (or when they abruptly end or change) we have to adjust. Itís probably a really normal psychological reality that we regress temporarily in the absence of the routine.  Then we regroup, adjust and create new structures or routines. Our physical and mental health regress a little (more for some).  I know Iím adjusting - not just to new work routines - itís a whole new life.

« Reply #2569 on: April 04, 2020, 08:13:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2442
This pandemic is also making me lose track of the days. I actually didn't realize today was Friday and tomorrow's Saturday  :P

Unfortunately, most days feel the same now. Boring.

" Patience young Skywalker ".   ;D

« Reply #2570 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
Take it FWIW.

Trump reportedly had a meeting with the commissioners of 12 major sports leagues, and stated his Task Force believes stadiums and arenas will be re-opened by August/September. So by that logic, NFL season may not be delayed.

It's probably his own guess and means nothing. But it's beginning to really look like the NHL/NBA will get cancelled, and baseball might not even start until July at the earliest. Trump originally wanted to reopen everything by Easter (lol) but even now he's pushed back those guidelines to May and is saying this about sporting events, so...

« Reply #2571 on: April 04, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 318
Take it FWIW.

Trump reportedly had a meeting with the commissioners of 12 major sports leagues, and stated his Task Force believes stadiums and arenas will be re-opened by August/September. So by that logic, NFL season may not be delayed.

It's probably his own guess and means nothing. But it's beginning to really look like the NHL/NBA will get cancelled, and baseball might not even start until July at the earliest. Trump originally wanted to reopen everything by Easter (lol) but even now he's pushed back those guidelines to May and is saying this about sporting events, so...

Ya I'd say that projection is more about he'd really LIKE it to start on time, the same way he'd like the case number to go to zero or for corona to be no worse than the flu or for the country to reopen by easter. Now the start of the NFL season is a long way away and a lot can happen until then, but I personally am putting absolutely zero credence into anything Trump believes at the moment.

« Reply #2572 on: April 04, 2020, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
Take it FWIW.

Ya I'd say that projection is more about he'd really LIKE it to start on time, the same way he'd like the case number to go to zero or for corona to be no worse than the flu or for the country to reopen by easter. Now the start of the NFL season is a long way away and a lot can happen until then, but I personally am putting absolutely zero credence into anything Trump believes at the moment.

Yeah I agree. I truthfully don't even bother with his administration's press conferences anymore. But that's another discussion for another topic.

I just think it's noteworthy that originally he was hoping things would "become normal" before June. Now it seems even he's acknowledging that this could last into the summer. Or he's getting intel from his team. What's scary is that even with everything currently happening, the peak still isn't coming for at least 2-4 weeks.

I still think baseball happens with a shortened season, but the possibility that it gets cancelled entirely I think has increased over the past week.

« Reply #2573 on: April 04, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 318
An article comparing the pace of the outbreak in Western Europe and the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/upshot/coronavirus-europe-america-comparison.html

Argument is Western Europe, with a population of 320 million is probably a fair comparison for the US in terms of the course we can expect outbreak to take. ore so than any one country.

The comparison is not comforting.

« Reply #2574 on: April 04, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8015
Just watching the daily Presidential presser and a question was asked about people applauding medical personnel outside hospitals to show their appreciation. Mike Pence decided to give his two cents and, well, it might have been one of the most moving moments in these pressers.

He mentioned how the medical community are America's warriors in this. How much they sacrifice. How much they put themselves at danger and how they act as not only caretakers for their patients but also family, as no visitors can come in to see their loved ones.

The VP relayed a story of how many nurses are using their cell phones to allow patients to talk or videotalk with their loved ones to say goodbye before the patient dies. Pence's voice cracked several times and the emotion was easy to feel and understand.

Pence then said tomorrow starts Holy Week and during this sacred time people should be praying for all in the medical community for what they are doing to help keep their fellow Americans alive and well or comfortable towards the end.

I am not religious but I agree wholeheartedly with Pence here. Say a prayer for all these brave American medical warriors and do all you can not to use supplies that these people need. If medical professionals get sick or die, there won't be anyone to save lives, so we all have to do our part to protect these people as they fight for us.

His two minute answer to the question touched me. It was such a change of pace from the lack of empathy, lack of sympathy, petulantance and angry tone that Trump mostly displays because Trump is incapable of showing such emotions due to his personality traits of narcissism, ego and self love.

Speaking as a parent of a child who successfully fought off cancer, I learned decades ago how wonderful the nurses and doctors are that are there to save lives. I practically lived at Mass General once a week for six months while my son went through chemo. The love I have in my heart for these people who care for others and save lives has no bounds.

I applaud them all and also, you Mr. Vice President for humanizing the situation and bringing to the forefront why we should all play our part so these wonderful doctors, nurses, nursing and medical assistants, ER clerical and data entry people and first responders can play their part and save our lives.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:57:24 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2575 on: April 04, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2121
Take it FWIW.

If you're like me and wondering how you can get to 12 commissions past the big 4 of NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL, well here's the list:

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2576 on: April 04, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 2442
so time to stay at home , and keep busy , let my mind relax from the stressful times we are living in . For me here  is the opportunity to get all the small projects , spring cleaning , out door stuff ,  garage and automobile projects  completed. I can't watch TV or stare at a screen for hours on end.  So far i have not been bored ....maybe not playing .....but not bored.   This is the best shape our home has been in 15 years  .  Doing all the chores and not putting them off .  Completed my 1 year restoration of my old garden tractor a weddin present from my parents 100 years ago LOL .  Cut the yard today with it .  A joy.  Lots of folks walking , biking , working outside , but not gathering or driving.  Grocery run tommorrow .  See what the food safari yields .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:52:16 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #2577 on: April 04, 2020, 09:22:49 PM »

Online NKY fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
so time to stay at home , and keep busy , let my mind relax from the stressful times we are living in . For me here  is the opportunity to get all the small projects , spring cleaning , out door stuff ,  garage and automobile projects  completed. I can't watch TV or stare at a screen for hours on end.  So far i have not been bored ....maybe not playing .....but not bored.   This is the best shape our home has been in 15 years  .  Doing all the chores and not putting them off .  Completed my 1 year restoration of my old garden tractor a weddin present from my parents 100 years ago LOL .  Cut the yard today with it .  A joy.  Lots of folks walking , biking , working outside , but not gathering or driving.  Grocery run tommorrow .  See what the food safari yields .
Thatís awesome !
 I am still slacking but I rediscovered my inner cook 👨‍🍳. This is the best food I have eaten consistently ... otherwise itís salads and bar food lol.
I made myself a nice brunch today. Yesterday was lentils with chille peppers and kofta . Getting back in the mood to cook.
I am embarrassed to admit that I was begging my landscaper to show up and mow the yard 🤦🏻‍♂️
 even though I can do it perfectly fine as I used to work as a landscaper way back when I lived on cape cod

« Reply #2578 on: April 04, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Yeah, keeping busy is the best thing you can do.  Just sitting around wallowing is the surest way to go completely crazy.

Personally, this hasn't really terribly affected my day-to-day that much at all.  Yeah, I'm working different days and hours now so that there are less people in the building at any given time (went from a M-F schedule to a M-W schedule - longer days when I'm there but working 4 hours less overall and still being paid for 40 hours).  And I suppose it will suck when summer concert season comes and all the festivals I like to go to are cancelled, but it'll just mean more time for me to go on overnight back country hikes or kayak trips.  I went to a bonfire tonight with a small group of friends when normally we may have all gone out to the bar, but that's just money saved as far as I am concerned, and it was more fun anyways.

Best of all, the extra days off I have now has allowed me time to help out over at a local charity that delivers groceries to families in need (shout out to Red's Good Vibes if you're in the NH area).

And then there's the fact there is so much less traffic on the roads and in the skies, wildlife is flourishing while the majority of humans stay indoors, and the planet seems to be quickly mending itself in small ways even after just a short time with less human activity. Kind of proves my point about there being too many humans and there being a complete lack of balance in nature.

Of course, I have to go food shopping for myself and my neighbor tomorrow, so I expect that will once again be a miserable experience.  Hopefully I can find some TP somewhere, otherwise I'm going to have to break into my own stash because I think he is about out at this point. 

« Reply #2579 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:06 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1019
 ???
Take it FWIW.

If you're like me and wondering how you can get to 12 commissions past the big 4 of NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL, well here's the list:

Who would have thought that Vince McMahon would be the most important person on there (at least I assume that's the case, since he's listed twice  ;D)
I'm bitter.