Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 111732 times)

Tovny, RockinRyA and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #2190 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  • On To Banner 18!
So....real life story.

I live with my dad in a condo complex and in our building we have four floors and 6 units per floor. When entering the lobby you can look up the three stories and see people on each floor. It's wide open.

And, though we don't live in a 55+ community, most people in our building are elderly. Well over half of the residents have to be 75+.

Earlier I could hear yelling coming from outside my door in the lobby. On the floor below me, police, fire and ambulance personnel were putting  on PPE and yelling into the condo asking if anyone had flu like symptoms.

People from most units were opening the door coming out in the hall trying to figure out what was happening, just like me.

The first responders then got their answer.

Yes!!!

They had us clear all the halls and lobby as they took out my neighbor on a stretcher on an oxygen respirator. Shortly thereafter we got a call from the condo management asking us to remain in our units as a cleaning unit was going to be disinfecting all common areas due to a possible coronavirus case in the building.

If my neighbor has it, it could go through this unit like wildfire and kill a bunch of people. Lots of elderly with pre-existing conditions here. I can't help but wonder if in a couple months half my neighbors will be dead. And my dad. And me.

Dang, stay safe Nick! You and your Dad both. Are they going to test you both and everyone else from that building?
Still waiting to hear from the condo management people. It could be a while. I don't know where they took my neighbor so who knows how long it will be before my neighbor finds out. I am guessing getting the results could be fast or slow depending on where they went.

Nurses in Mass. hospitals are telling people I know who work in these hospitals that the test is 60% accurate for detecting positives apparently, so a negative test does not mean people are in the clear, and they are still treating them as 'probable covid-19 patients'

The other thing to remember is that, in many cases, people don't even find out about their results for over a week. It's possible even if it comes back negative, that they actually do have it a week later when they got the results back. Maybe they were negative the day they got tested, but are positive now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2191 on: March 26, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8001
There is so much information that you wish you had in these situations and unfortunately, getting the right and true information as quickly as you can is sometimes nearly impossible. Even from the government. And I mean all governments; city, town, county, state and federal, this isn't a shot at Trump.

I am not sure our condo management people developed a strategy in case someone got sick. They own and are responsible for the cleaning and disinfecting of all common areas. Though they posted a coronavirus notice in the lobby and elevator and doors to each staircase where they said they would clean and disinfect daily, other than today after the incident, I haven't seen them do any of that.

There are 20+ buildings in the complex and I know their maintenance staff is only 5 people, so can't see how they can be disinfecting every building every day. I tried to call the management office but it went straight to voicemail.

Which means, I don't have the info I want right now about how things go forward here. As others here can attest to, when it comes to waiting for info about a test result for a loved one, neighbor, co-worker, etc., the wait is tremendously stressful.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:05:19 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2192 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 790
The lobby opens up into a kind of four story solarium with a glass roof. As you look up you it's in the shape of a rectangle so as you get off each floor it's a rectangle 6 foot walkway that goes around so you can look up and down. It's really nice. If you go to the half wall to look up or down there is a 1 foot wooden mantle that everyone runs their hands over.

Then their is the mailroom that has a common marble shelf everyone touches, the doors and doorknobs to two staircases, the garbage shutes, two door handles to open the doors to get into the building. Lots of places people could transmit the disease.

I have sheltered dad for close to two weeks as, with his dementia, he would forget to not go in the elevator with anyone or to use your sleeve to push and pull open doors or to not touch commonly touch hand railings, shelves, seats in the lobby, etc.

And I have been vigilant to wash hands and do everything safe. So, I think we are okay but, who really knows anymore until you either feel sick or two weeks go by.

I usually keep a good week's supply of food and stuff in the house and when I heard about the shelter in place I went early Tuesday to pack in another good supply of things. So if I have to, we can literally not have to go out for over two weeks.

Just going to have to hope my neighbor tests negative because other than me, I have seen a lot of people not being careful in this building. It's concerning. It has been weighing on my mind today, that's for sure

Thank you so much for sharing, Nick.   Do you have grocery delivery available in your area?

Your story illustrates just how much this is a community thing.  Everybody is connected in ways they don't even realize.   You could never talk to someone but you both might touch the same door handle multiple times per day.

We ALL have to be vigilant and ALL watch out for each other.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2193 on: March 26, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 731
But Dr. Birx just told us we can all change our behavior and manage to go back to our regular schedules soon...

She said they would use 'laser targeted' analysis in real time to see which places need to maintain protection measures.

Laser targeted? We aren't even testing most people, those who are tested are waiting a week or more for results, and the test is only 60% accurate!

« Reply #2194 on: March 26, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 745
But Dr. Birx just told us we can all change our behavior and manage to go back to our regular schedules soon...

She said they would use 'laser targeted' analysis in real time to see which places need to maintain protection measures.

Laser targeted? We aren't even testing most people, those who are tested are waiting a week or more for results, and the test is only 60% accurate!

She also said, and this is me interpreting 'a lot of the large projections are not accurate about cases and deaths and that we won't getting as much infection as was originally projected'.   Am I right in what she was saying? 

I find it hard to believe that they have enough data to make any of these statements yet. We had the largest one day total of new cases in the US 17,000 + and it doesn't seem like we have hit the top of the wave.  It really felt like Birx has changed her view on a lot of stuff over 1 or 2 days.  Makes you go hmmm....

Here is another corona virus tracking web site that tracks testing.

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Pretty interesting number.  Here in California we only have completed 20k tests for 39 million people with around a 15% positive rate for people tested.  There are 57,000 pending tests for California as per this site.  Us in California are bracing for it to become really bad.  One Kaiser Hospital in northern cal estimated that 1/2 of all current patients were positive. 

California
Positive
Negative
Pending

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:27:56 PM by blink »

« Reply #2195 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 731

She also said, and this is me interpreting 'a lot of the large projections are not accurate about cases and deaths and that we won't getting as much infection as was originally projected'.   Am I right in what she was saying? 

I find it hard to believe that they have enough data to make any of these statements yet. We had the largest one day total of new cases in the US 17,000 + and it doesn't seem like we have hit the top of the wave.  It really felt like Birx has changed her view on a lot of stuff over 1 or 2 days.  Makes you go hmmm....

Here is another corona virus tracking web site that tracks testing.

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Pretty interesting number.  Here in California we only have completed 20k tests for 39 million people with around a 15% positive rate for people tested.  There are 57,000 pending tests for California as per this site.  Us in California are bracing for it to become really bad.  One Kaiser Hospital in northern cal estimated that 1/2 of all current patients were positive. 

California
Positive
Negative
Pending

Oh definitely, we don't have the data to say that, Dr. Fauci just basically stated that on TV about 30 minutes ago. He says we dont have the data yet.

I think she changed her public stance to appease Trump, but hopefully is keeping the more cautious approach behind the scenes. Fauci implied that Trump presents an optimistic, best case scenario in public, but is definitely listening to them behind the scenes and understands the reality.

« Reply #2196 on: March 26, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8001
Pet peeve:

Does anyone else cringe every time Trump addresses Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx as Tony and Debbie or Deborah?

This is an official government press conference and they are there as public medical officials. Use their proper titles in this official setting!!! Lord knows they have earned them.

He wouldn't address a military officer by first name. You would use their official rank and title. I don't see why you wouldn't address Drs. Birx and Fauci with their proper titles.

Sorry, I find that disrespectful.

« Reply #2197 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
Pet peeve:

Does anyone else cringe every time Trump addresses Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx as Tony and Debbie or Deborah?

This is an official government press conference and they are there as public medical officials. Use their proper titles in this official setting!!! Lord knows they have earned them.

He wouldn't address a military officer by first name. You would use their official rank and title. I don't see why you wouldn't address Drs. Birx and Fauci with their proper titles.

Sorry, I find that disrespectful.

Not a surprise at all. Pence being the "guy in charge" of this task force sums it up. It's a joke at this point.

His press conferences are cringeworthy at this point. I've noticed that even some of the news channels don't show the entire thing anymore, just the beginning but that's it. The state governors' press conferences are 10x better and more informative.

« Reply #2198 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Cedric Maxwell
  • On To Banner 18!
I learned this from an online employees Town Hall MEEI + MGH did recently (where I work), and this is a big point:

If you get tested for COVID-19 and don't get results back in less than 7 days, then there's actually a decent chance the results are not valid, whether it's positive or negative.

The logic is, someone who got tested March 12 might have been negative on March 12, but then became positive days later. However, the test is from March 12, so when that person gets it back as "negative" March 19, it's not the "current" status.

What that means is, there might actually A TON of cases in the U.S. Maybe in other countries too, but honestly the U.S has been criticized the most about testing capacity and delayed results compared to others'.

That could mean, for example, that even though the data states there's ~2400 positive cases out of 24,000 tests in Massachusetts, it might actually be more like 8,000 positive cases in MA now, as a portion of those who tested negative may actually be positive. As we've seen, some people aren't getting their test results back for a good 2+ weeks.

Also, FWIW, they seem to think the working from home/remote work will last for at least another month. Despite what Trump hopes. Late April is the best case scenario, but it's more like May. For safety precautions though, hospitals and clinics will remain very limited for a while, maybe even into the summer months. But they'll gradually allow for elective surgeries and a few other procedures to return again.

« Reply #2199 on: March 26, 2020, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 790
The thing that is making this virus so insidious and deadly is it's patience.

It comes on so slowly, taking up to 2 weeks to show any symptoms.  And then, once they show, it can take another ~15 days or so to run the course of the infection and recover, assuming you don't die.

This is what has given it a huge, long window for propagation before detection.  Why it is possible for a single person to pass it on to so many.

We have to be just as, if not more patient in waiting it out.   People need to be prepared for a full month or even more of social distancing.  Or it will all be for naught.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2200 on: March 26, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 9329
So....real life story.

I live with my dad in a condo complex and in our building we have four floors and 6 units per floor. When entering the lobby you can look up the three stories and see people on each floor. It's wide open.

And, though we don't live in a 55+ community, most people in our building are elderly. Well over half of the residents have to be 75+.

Earlier I could hear yelling coming from outside my door in the lobby. On the floor below me, police, fire and ambulance personnel were putting  on PPE and yelling into the condo asking if anyone had flu like symptoms.

People from most units were opening the door coming out in the hall trying to figure out what was happening, just like me.

Yes!!!

They had us clear all the halls and lobby as they took out my neighbor on a stretcher on an oxygen respirator. Shortly thereafter we got a call from the condo management asking us to remain in our units as a cleaning unit was going to be disinfecting all common areas due to a possible coronavirus case in the building.

If my neighbor has it, it could go through this unit like wildfire and kill a bunch of people. Lots of elderly with pre-existing conditions here. I can't help but wonder if in a couple months half my neighbors will be dead. And my dad. And me.
hang in there Nick.  hoping your building management stays on top of their sanitation regiment to keep everyone there as safe as possible

« Reply #2201 on: March 27, 2020, 02:25:55 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 432
Saw this article today and just became incredibly ticked off and sad at the same time that some people can still be this thoughtless and stupid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/25/coronavirus-prank-pennsylvania-grocery-store-35-k-food/2913809001/

Seriously hope this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- max jail time and max fine applied.  no excuse for this.  none

Apparently she was known to the community and had mental issues. Still should be prosecuted.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2202 on: March 27, 2020, 02:36:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 432
So....real life story.

Yes!!!

Prayers for you and your dad, Nick. All you can do is take all necessary precautions, avoid your neighbors, have your father (and yourself) wear a mask while in the facility. Use latex gloves when in the mailroom and touching common areas. I've been using gloves when I go out grocery shopping (it's still a bit cold here in Boston). It's unfortunate that aged care facilities tend to be lodestones for the virus. If it's any consolation, most scientists think it's unlikely to travel through the air like an aerosol, it's more that respiratory droplets can hang there for a few hours or land on surfaces like stairway railings. And obviously contact with infected people. So as long as you minimize contact with people and make sure your unit is properly sanitized, wash your hands after touching anything, you and your dad should be ok. If you are the one that goes out and gets groceries and things for your dad, you would be the most likely vector of transmission that would bring it into the house and you should take all the precautions before returning home. Hopefully it provides some comfort that you're not totally helpless waiting for an infection to happen - the things you can do to mitigate the spread do work in reducing transmission.

As for masks, they do help. We're being discouraged to wear them because in a normal situation, walking on the street, we are unlikely to catch Covid-19 from passersby anyway, and so that mask could go to someone who really needs it, like a healthcare provider, or a sick person. But if you are concerned about living in a facility where the risk of transmission is high it is definitely worth using, if you can find one. Any barrier to your mucous membranes will help. If it's an n95 just make sure it's fitted properly. It's no surprise that transmission has been lower in Asian countries that routinely wear masks, like Japan, Korea, Hong Kong. Best of luck!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/19/opinion/guidance-against-wearing-masks-coronavirus-is-wrong-you-should-cover-your-face/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:43:47 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2203 on: March 27, 2020, 02:56:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 746
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

Bit of an update for anyone interested in the situation in Australia. Our Prime Minister has announced anyone returning from overseas will be quarantined in hotels and other like facilities, and the military will be enforcing this, as well as ensuring people who were supposed to be at home self-isolating are doing so. Crazy stuff
LA Clippers:
PG: Stephen Curry / Deron Williams / Penny Hardaway
SG: Michael Redd / Doug Christie / Leandro Barbosa
SF: Grant Hill / Hedo Turkoglu
PF: Elton Brand / Lamar Odom / Josh Smith
C: Joakim Noah / Andrew Bynum / David Lee

« Reply #2204 on: March 27, 2020, 04:37:11 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Aron Baynes
  • Tommy Points: 18
There is so much information that you wish you had in these situations and unfortunately, getting the right and true information as quickly as you can is sometimes nearly impossible. Even from the government. And I mean all governments; city, town, county, state and federal, this isn't a shot at Trump.

I am not sure our condo management people developed a strategy in case someone got sick. They own and are responsible for the cleaning and disinfecting of all common areas. Though they posted a coronavirus notice in the lobby and elevator and doors to each staircase where they said they would clean and disinfect daily, other than today after the incident, I haven't seen them do any of that.

There are 20+ buildings in the complex and I know their maintenance staff is only 5 people, so can't see how they can be disinfecting every building every day. I tried to call the management office but it went straight to voicemail.

Which means, I don't have the info I want right now about how things go forward here. As others here can attest to, when it comes to waiting for info about a test result for a loved one, neighbor, co-worker, etc., the wait is tremendously stressful.

Stay safe! You're in an awful situation, but you're a smart guy, hopefully this is just a slight inconvenience for you and your father.