Follow us on Twitter  

Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 111690 times)

Neurotic Guy, mmmmm and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #2145 on: March 25, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 746
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion
Total US Fatalities due to Covid-19

On 3-17-20 - 108 deaths
On 3-21-20 - 326 deaths
On 3-25-20 - 908 deaths as I write this with more hours to go until days end on the West Coast

Anybody remember when exactly a month ago Trump claimed our cases would soon be down to zero?
I think either today or tomorrow is the monthaversary
According to the worldometers site the US now has over 1k deaths
LA Clippers:
PG: Stephen Curry / Deron Williams / Penny Hardaway
SG: Michael Redd / Doug Christie / Leandro Barbosa
SF: Grant Hill / Hedo Turkoglu
PF: Elton Brand / Lamar Odom / Josh Smith
C: Joakim Noah / Andrew Bynum / David Lee

« Reply #2146 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:02 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 50
Trump and his administration keep trying to pin this on the Chinese government; not being transparent, not communicating enough, not communicating sooner, etc. I thought from as soon as the word got out in late December that there was plenty of news in the media, at least the media I follow, not what Trump follows.

The Chinese quarantined a third of the country and that wasn’t a big enough hint how serious this was?

What have the Chinese done since then? Haven’t they sent testing kits and masks to Italy, Spain, and was the Philippines also included?

Didn’t Italy ask for US help? I don’t remember seeing a response to that? Was there an official response? Was it “Sorry, America First!”

All I have seen has been Trump offering to help North Korea and trying to help himself to Germany’s vaccine technology.

I guess that’s a “business decision?” I will buy this German company for Billions and rub it in Merkel’s face, if it works, that’s a win-win. If it doesn’t, well, it’s only money, those people would have died eventually anyway, no big deal?
I'm not going to say that the Trump administration did a great job, I think they dragged their feet and should have acted sooner. But to defend the actions of the Chinese government is going too far in my opinion. They hid what was going on and allowed the virus to spread unchecked for far too long. By the time they put strong restrictions in place it was far too late and a world wide outbreak was inevitable. Spanish media is now reporting that the tests that China has sent to Spain don't work well. Let's not let antipathy to Trump push people to coddling authoritarian, violent, deceptive and dangerous regimes.

« Reply #2147 on: March 26, 2020, 12:00:58 AM »

Offline liam

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1338
"An NPR station in Seattle said that it no longer will carry live coverage of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus briefings because of concerns that they feature unchecked misleading or false information.

“KUOW is monitoring White House briefings for the latest news on the coronavirus — and we will continue to share all news relevant to Washington State with our listeners,” the station tweeted. “However, we will not be airing the briefings live due to a pattern of false or misleading information provided that cannot be fact checked in real time.”

« Reply #2148 on: March 26, 2020, 05:40:47 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Aron Baynes
  • Tommy Points: 18
Trump and his administration keep trying to pin this on the Chinese government; not being transparent, not communicating enough, not communicating sooner, etc. I thought from as soon as the word got out in late December that there was plenty of news in the media, at least the media I follow, not what Trump follows.

The Chinese quarantined a third of the country and that wasn’t a big enough hint how serious this was?

What have the Chinese done since then? Haven’t they sent testing kits and masks to Italy, Spain, and was the Philippines also included?

Didn’t Italy ask for US help? I don’t remember seeing a response to that? Was there an official response? Was it “Sorry, America First!”

All I have seen has been Trump offering to help North Korea and trying to help himself to Germany’s vaccine technology.

I guess that’s a “business decision?” I will buy this German company for Billions and rub it in Merkel’s face, if it works, that’s a win-win. If it doesn’t, well, it’s only money, those people would have died eventually anyway, no big deal?
I'm not going to say that the Trump administration did a great job, I think they dragged their feet and should have acted sooner. But to defend the actions of the Chinese government is going too far in my opinion. They hid what was going on and allowed the virus to spread unchecked for far too long. By the time they put strong restrictions in place it was far too late and a world wide outbreak was inevitable. Spanish media is now reporting that the tests that China has sent to Spain don't work well. Let's not let antipathy to Trump push people to coddling authoritarian, violent, deceptive and dangerous regimes.

I agree with you about China, but I also think that this is right in Trump's xenophobic political wheelhouse: blame immigration problems on immigrants, blame political problems on anyone who isn't a Republican, and blame health problems on... wait for it... the big scary Other (what some might call the rest of the world).

« Reply #2149 on: March 26, 2020, 06:07:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 432
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2150 on: March 26, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 790

10/23?  October 23?  Not sure what you are referring to.   Nor where you got the 8101 number.  Here are the daily new case totals for the US over the last few days.
Code: [Select]
Mar 19    4582
Mar 20    5588
Mar 21    4825
Mar 22    9400
Mar 23   10189
Mar 24   11075

Today's total is already at 9909 with 7 1/2 hours to go and looks very much like it will continue the trend.  I.E., it looks certain to be well over 12K.

The daily fatality numbers are like so:
Code: [Select]
Mar 19    56
Mar 20    49
Mar 21    46
Mar 22   113
Mar 23   141
Mar 24   225

Today's grim death total is already at 130 and rising with, as I said, still 7 1/2 hours left in the day.

Ugh.  I can honestly say I wish I was wrong about this.

New cases:

Mar 25   13,355

The good news is that as bad as this is, the total (68,211) is finally starting to fall off the 'nearly doubling every couple of days' pace (it was 43,781 on Mar 23).  The bad news is that may have more to do with the limited number of test kits being available and used.

New deaths:

Mar 25    247

At a death total of 1027, we are still on the same rate of nearly doubling the death total every couple of days (it was 555 on Mar 23).  Deaths will happen independent of the number of test kits.  They are, however, dependent on access to health care (especially oxygen & ventilators).  If those start to become scarce, then this rate could actually _increase_.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2151 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 9329
Saw this article today and just became incredibly ticked off and sad at the same time that some people can still be this thoughtless and stupid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/25/coronavirus-prank-pennsylvania-grocery-store-35-k-food/2913809001/

Seriously hope this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- max jail time and max fine applied.  no excuse for this.  none

« Reply #2152 on: March 26, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Aron Baynes
To put the scale of the shutdown in perspective for our US friends:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/26/us-unemployment-rate-coronavirus-business

« Reply #2153 on: March 26, 2020, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 746
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion
Saw this article today and just became incredibly ticked off and sad at the same time that some people can still be this thoughtless and stupid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/25/coronavirus-prank-pennsylvania-grocery-store-35-k-food/2913809001/

Seriously hope this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- max jail time and max fine applied.  no excuse for this.  none
What an absolute scumbag. I hope karma catches up with her in the most punitive way possible
LA Clippers:
PG: Stephen Curry / Deron Williams / Penny Hardaway
SG: Michael Redd / Doug Christie / Leandro Barbosa
SF: Grant Hill / Hedo Turkoglu
PF: Elton Brand / Lamar Odom / Josh Smith
C: Joakim Noah / Andrew Bynum / David Lee

« Reply #2154 on: March 26, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 446
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/26/us-unemployment-rate-coronavirus-business
From the story, there was more than a 10 times increase in unemployment claims from the previous week and almost 5 times more than highest previous weekly total.  Terrible for the economy and terrible for the individuals and their families. 

According to the labor department, the number of new jobless claims filed by individuals seeking unemployment benefits rose by more than three million to 3.28m from 281,000 the previous week. The figure is the highest ever reported, beating the previous record of 695,000 claims filed the week ending 2 October 1982.

« Reply #2155 on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8001
From the story, there was more than a 10 times increase in unemployment claims from the previous week and almost 5 times more than highest previous weekly total.  Terrible for the economy and terrible for the individuals and their families. 

According to the labor department, the number of new jobless claims filed by individuals seeking unemployment benefits rose by more than three million to 3.28m from 281,000 the previous week. The figure is the highest ever reported, beating the previous record of 695,000 claims filed the week ending 2 October 1982.
Saw a report on TV( not sure where) of unemployment offices in states being so swamped not everyone could get their claims in last week. That overrun into this week, plus more layoffs coming this week, and the US could see another huge new unemployment claims number next week as well. 

Scary thought, though expected at this point.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:05:38 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2156 on: March 26, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1233
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism.

For the first time in like forever, I don't really feel bad for the individuals at all. People out of work are going to be getting by far the most money people on unemployment have ever received in addition to the ridiculous $1200 checks they are sending out. Also, people's rent/mortgage/car/tuition/whatever loans are on hold for 90 days. Any one of these things would have been fine, but the combination of all three seems like overkill.

I agree that it's awful for the economy, but it's the greatest time in American history to have been laid off. If you are one of the lucky ones, enjoy it. Republicans and Democrats desperately want your votes - enjoy the time off and enjoy the free money.

« Reply #2157 on: March 26, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Aron Baynes
See, this is a matter of opinion. You call it over kill, I call it the closest thing the States have ever produced approaching a reasonable safety net in my lifetime (I'm a Reagan baby). Not the one-off things like freezes and stimulus checks, but the expanded benefits for unemployed folks.

But... my student loans aren't on hold. Where are you reading that?

« Reply #2158 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8001
See, this is a matter of opinion. You call it over kill, I call it the closest thing the States have ever produced approaching a reasonable safety net in my lifetime (I'm a Reagan baby). Not the one-off things like freezes and stimulus checks, but the expanded benefits for unemployed folks.

Rents, car payments and mortgages are also not on hold.

« Reply #2159 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1233
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism.

Rents, car payments and mortgages are also not on hold.

Evictions are pretty much a no-go anywhere right now. That doesn't necessarily mean you don't ever have to pay your rent, but it basically allows you not to do so until counties will serve papers again.

Also, many states are pushing for a mortgage hold. California has the support of several banks to put a 90 day grace period on mortgage payments. I would imagine other states will follow suit.

I understand that what the Fed Gov does and what states do are independent of each other, but the benefits that are coming out of this are astronomical. I am a Dem and will remain one (not like the Rs can claim fiscal responsibility anymore), I just can't believe my eyes. All the people in 2008-2010 who were getting laid off and losing their homes, but have gotten back on their feet must be like w-t-f?