Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 238198 times)

TheReaLPuba and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus: Concerned?
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 64
The DOW down 800 today already...

this is the worse week since the financial crisis.

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053

Okay. Pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody's waiting for it to hit rock bottom so they can buy cheap and go long. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are goin' bat-crap.

They're saying, "Hey, we're losing all our goddang money, and Christmas is just around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip, right? And my wife won't f... my wife won't make love to me 'cuz I ain't got no money, right?" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now! I can feel it! They out there!

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2020, 12:17:19 PM »

Online Tr1boy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 682
I could be dead wrong

but seems like the virus can mainly survive/excel in warmer/tropical climates

There hasn't been cases of it spreading in colder climates (though there could be other factors involved)

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
I could be dead wrong

but seems like the virus can mainly survive/excel in warmer/tropical climates

There hasn't been cases of it spreading in colder climates (though there could be other factors involved)

I'm sorry to say but this isn't correct.  There are outbreaks in Northern China that are the same latitude as Vancouver, British Columbia.  There are also cases in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia.

This page links to tools for visually tracking the data.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/01/23/coronavirus-outbreak-mapping-tool-649-em1-art1-dtd-health/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:08:07 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
The DOW down 800 today already...

this is the worse week since the financial crisis.

Goldman just released there will be zero growth this year. I am happy I pulled out of the market but thinking this is also starting to get overblown right now with the worst case scenario being priced in. CNBC.com  appears to be trying to induce mass hysteria with their coverage so far as well. They just released this tidbit flashing across home page...unreal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/california-is-monitoring-8400-people-for-the-coronavirus.html

I am a bit not trusting of some of these investment companies though as they are firmly in one political party's pocket. Hard to trust the news out there in the financial sector right now when regime change could be the end goal. Plus, it is usually the big firms that profit from this kind of movement and the small consumer who does not. A sinking economy is perfect breeding ground for regime change no matter why it occurred though. Think back to Bush in 1992 and that sinking economy.

I am not ready to jump back in yet but looking for deals now. Some of the stocks I follow hit a nice low earlier where I should have nibbled. I need to see a few days of green though I think before moving forward.

I went to Costco at 10am today and the lines were insane and I am in a state where this virus is not even being mentioned. Crazy, people stocking up for what appears to be months. There are grocery delivery services though and sure those would be used if things got crazy with quarantines. Now if all traffic was forbidden, that would not work of course. One person had like 10 cartons of 35 roll TP! Funny but not that funny.

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Getting to a basketball perspective, I wonder how much planning the NBA is doing regarding this.  Given the current practice of contact tracing cases of this virus and isolating those who have come into contact with the disease, the infection of a single player or coach from a team will require the isolation of the entire team for at least 2 weeks.  If this pops up during the postseason, does a team have to forfeit a series?  Do they postpone the series?  And nevermind the recommendation that fans not go to the games to watch should it arrive in a city.

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
am a bit not trusting of some of these investment companies though as they are firmly in one political party's pocket. Hard to trust the news out there in the financial sector right now when regime change could be the end goal.   Plus, it is usually the big firms that profit from this kind of movement and the small consumer who does not. A sinking economy is perfect breeding ground for regime change no matter why it occurred though. Think back to Bush in 1992 and that sinking economy.

Wait - are you asserting that big financial sector folks are more inside the _democratic_ party pocket?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 211
I'm just glad this virus started getting political. In the beginning it was like it didn't even care who was president.

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Getting to a basketball perspective, I wonder how much planning the NBA is doing regarding this.  Given the current practice of contact tracing cases of this virus and isolating those who have come into contact with the disease, the infection of a single player or coach from a team will require the isolation of the entire team for at least 2 weeks.  If this pops up during the postseason, does a team have to forfeit a series?  Do they postpone the series?  And nevermind the recommendation that fans not go to the games to watch should it arrive in a city.

That does bring up a very good point. What could happen if a team has one player infected and whole team goes into quarantine during the playoffs.

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
Have games been affected in the CBA(Chinese pro league)?

EDIT: just saw...they cancelled the whole season.

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1254
  • What a Pub Should Be

That does bring up a very good point. What could happen if a team has one player infected and whole team goes into quarantine during the playoffs.

The only instance I can remember of something along those lines happening was reading about a Stanley Cup Finals from the early 1900s where there was some outbreak and they ended up ruling the Finals a no contest. 

Guessing you'd see either a forfeiture or no contest depending on the circumstances. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
am a bit not trusting of some of these investment companies though as they are firmly in one political party's pocket. Hard to trust the news out there in the financial sector right now when regime change could be the end goal.   Plus, it is usually the big firms that profit from this kind of movement and the small consumer who does not. A sinking economy is perfect breeding ground for regime change no matter why it occurred though. Think back to Bush in 1992 and that sinking economy.

Wait - are you asserting that big financial sector folks are more inside the _democratic_ party pocket?

We can all view who they make donations to(there is a site that shows exact donations). Goldman Sachs employees have supported many of the top Democrat running candidates(minus Bernie interestingly enough) with donations so far in 2020. They do also support some Republicans but not to the degree as the Democratic presidential candidates. I did not see any for Trump on that site either but that is not surprising either since they are based in state that is heavily Democrat(NY). Biden is at the top of candidates who have received donations from them.

Lloyd Blankfein, the ex CEO of Goldman has said he would sooner vote for Trump over Sanders and Blankfein is a pure Democrat.
I believe there are some Financial companies in one corner and some in the other though. Not just black and white for sure. They are definitely not in Bernie's corner though, that much is clear.

But, media sites like CNBC, CNN, MSNBC are squarely in the Democrat's corner just as Fox is in the Republican's corner. I would like it much more if they had articles that showed all possibilities. I would love an independent site that discusses civilly both sides to every story.

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338

We can all view who they make donations to(there is a site that shows exact donations). Goldman Sachs employees have supported many of the top Democrat running candidates(minus Bernie interestingly enough) with donations so far in 2020. They do also support some Republicans but not to the degree as the Democratic presidential candidates. I did not see any for Trump on that site either but that is not surprising either since they are based in state that is heavily Democrat(NY). Biden is at the top of candidates who have received donations from them.

Lloyd Blankfein, the ex CEO of Goldman has said he would sooner vote for Trump over Sanders and Blankfein is a pure Democrat.
I believe there are some Financial companies in one corner and some in the other though. Not just black and white for sure. They are definitely not in Bernie's corner though, that much is clear.

But, media sites like CNBC, CNN, MSNBC are squarely in the Democrat's corner just as Fox is in the Republican's corner. I would like it much more if they had articles that showed all possibilities. I would love an independent site that discusses civilly both sides to every story.

So you believe that wall street would prefer a democratic, about half of which have suggested huge increases in taxes/regulations on wall street, over the guy who has literally been bragging about how good he has been for wall street? While at the same time admitting that the guy who is probably at least for now the democratic front runner is not their favorite choice?

Can you see how thats crazy?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:33:47 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

So you believe that wall street would prefer a democratic, about half of which have suggested huge increases in taxes/regulations on wall street, over the guy who has literally been bragging about how good he has been for wall street? While at the same time admitting that the guy who is probably at east for now the democratic front runner is not their favorite choice?

Can you see how thats crazy?

Don't forget the part where they're rigging markets and tanking the economy to make it happen! They love intentionally losing money to engineer tax hikes on themselves, those finance types.

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Making Pence the point on this gives me much more confidence that this will be handled in a proper manner and not like something that the public needs to be deceived about to make sure the economy stays strong so that Trump's main re-election strategy/talking point stays in place.

Trump appeared unprepared and quite clueless in that presser. Pence certainly appeared like the competent adult in the room.

Really?  I'm pretty sure the whole point of putting Pence in charge of this is to tamp down on CDC news releases.   Yes, it avoids having Trump as the 'leader of the Covid-19 response', but that's not really something that was going to happen anyway.

Trump was p---ed about the earlier CDC statement about the inevitability of the virus and how it was received by the markets.   That's why he's putting Pence on it.

I read these posts and was like "even I'm not that cynical" but welp, maybe I should be.

Pence Will Control All Coronavirus Messaging From Health Officials