Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 238204 times)

libermaniac and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus: Concerned?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
My God what a horrible press conference by Trump. I had to have heard "very, very" 30-50 times. He seemed confused, almost like he didn't know how to get out of campaign mode and struggled to maintain a strong, confident, somber, Presidential demeanor. The man was all over the place, seeming to talk forever but say nothing noteworthy.

Luckily he turned things over to Pence who sounded like a President should sound when giving press conferences like this. While Pence was talking Trump looked like he was falling asleep. Maybe he is massively jet lagged.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 5039
  • Thumper of the BASS!
funny thing about this virus

i manage a major retail/pharmacy

people are buying masks...for travel and everyday wear

they do not prevent you from getting any virus.....

keep your hands clean...dont touch your face

*sippin*

day off

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 754
My God what a horrible press conference by Trump. I had to have heard "very, very" 30-50 times. He seemed confused, almost like he didn't know how to get out of campaign mode and struggled to maintain a strong, confident, somber, Presidential demeanor. The man was all over the place, seeming to talk forever but say nothing noteworthy.

Luckily he turned things over to Pence who sounded like a President should sound when giving press conferences like this. While Pence was talking Trump looked like he was falling asleep. Maybe he is massively jet lagged.

so evidently Pence is now in charge of the US response to the coronavirus.  Does Pence know anything about organizing health teams, pandemic approaches, I mean ANYTHING related to this?  Shouldn't this be a scientist / heath professional who is organizing this?  No wait, that would make sense.

And Azar said the vaccine, when it's available, will not be subsidized for people who can't afford it?  what a bunch of morons running our country right now.

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge

*sippin*

day off

about the best advice you can give right now...

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 446

so evidently Pence is now in charge of the US response to the coronavirus.  Does Pence know anything about organizing health teams, pandemic approaches, I mean ANYTHING related to this?  Shouldn't this be a scientist / heath professional who is organizing this?  No wait, that would make sense.

And Azar said the vaccine, when it's available, will not be subsidized for people who can't afford it?  what a bunch of morons running our country right now.
Actually putting Pence in charge shows the high priority being placed on the response.  He'll have plenty of knowledgeable, skilled people supporting him to organize and do the work. 

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2020, 09:15:31 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 52

I don't really think this is a fair take. The CDC and appropriate health professionals will be in charge of the nuts and bolts, putting a well-connected politician at the head of something like this makes sense for a couple of reasons. First, it signals how seriously the administration is taking this. Second it will help cut through red tape and bureaucracy. It's fine to hate on this administration if you want to, but it's totally fine to make Pence the point person on this.

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

An administrator in charge makes perfect sense, it's what we did with Ebola. The talented health professionals/organizers and scientists should work under them.

The issue with Pence is the dubious instincts of a man who doesn't believe smoking kills people and whose policies led to a major HIV outbreak in his own state. Along with *gestures broadly at entire Trump admin incompetence/elimination of pandemic infrastructure/obsession with manufacturing fictitious realities for short-term benefit then forcing gov't to go along with them*

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
Making Pence the point on this gives me much more confidence that this will be handled in a proper manner and not like something that the public needs to be deceived about to make sure the economy stays strong so that Trump's main re-election strategy/talking point stays in place.

Trump appeared unprepared and quite clueless in that presser. Pence certainly appeared like the competent adult in the room.

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge

I don't really think this is a fair take. The CDC and appropriate health professionals will be in charge of the nuts and bolts, putting a well-connected politician at the head of something like this makes sense for a couple of reasons. First, it signals how seriously the administration is taking this. Second it will help cut through red tape and bureaucracy. It's fine to hate on this administration if you want to, but it's totally fine to make Pence the point person on this.

I completely understand that Pence is nothing more than an administrator that will help the CDC.  But I also realize that Pence isn't a great administrator.  Yes better than Trump, but we have a CDC for a reason, or at least we used to.  Pence also doesn't have a great track record of health crisis management.  I just would rather see the Surgeon General, or some other respected scientist or physician lead the effort.  I have literally zero expectations that the public will get the truth (good honest information) from Pence or Trump.  Trump would lie to the whole nation saying everything is ok if it helped him get re-elected.

The Trump administration gave a classified briefing to the US Senate which both Republicans and Democrats were frustrated with saying the administration is 'asleep at the wheel' regarding preparation for the coronavirus.  Schumer, Blumenthal, John Kennedy, Mitt Romney all had critical comments about the administration's response.
So how often does that happen?  Seriously how often do the Rep and Dem Senators agree on something that comes from the Trump Administration?  Maybe the Syria thing? 

If Pence can fix this, great.  I haven't seen anything in 3 years that makes me think he is going to be any more honest with the US public about the coronavirus than Trump would be.  Now Trump gets to blame Pence when everything goes to blank.  How does that help the US public?

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge

*sippin*

day off

"The US has ordered "a lot" of masks to deal with a potential coronavirus outbreak, President Trump said.

"We may not need it, you understand that," he told a reporter. "We're looking at worst-case scenario, we're going to be set very quickly."

Trump insisted he didn't think the US would end up needing the masks because flights and "borders are very controlled."

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2020, 11:34:02 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/cdc-confirms-first-possible-community-spread-coronavirus-case-in-us.html

So, apparently someone got it in N California and did not travel overseas . The Dow futures turned down 400 points as soon as it was reported. The fear is strong out there.

Keeping hands clean is super important and if you have children, make sure they do this as well.

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2020, 06:09:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Spme distortions going on out there.

A look at some of the Democrats' remarks:

MIKE BLOOMBERG: “There's nobody here to figure out what the hell we should be doing. And he's defunded — he's defunded Centers for Disease Control, CDC, so we don't have the organization we need. This is a very serious thing.” — debate Tuesday night.

JOE BIDEN, comparing the Obama-Biden administration with now: “We increased the budget of the CDC. We increased the NIH budget. ... He's wiped all that out. ... He cut the funding for the entire effort."

THE FACTS: They're both wrong to say the agencies have seen their money cut. Bloomberg is repeating the false allegation in a new ad that states the U.S. is unprepared for the virus because of “reckless cuts" to the CDC. Trump's budgets have proposed cuts to public health, only to be overruled by Congress, where there's strong bipartisan support for agencies such as the CDC and NIH. Instead, financing has increased.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/medical/article/AP-FACT-CHECK-Democrats-distort-coronavirus-15086838.php

I read a story that the president wanted to divert Ebola funding for this virus.

Could the response have been better, certainly.   But leave it to the folks in Congress to politicize a virus any chance to take some hits at the President.   How do folks feel about open borders with a probable pandemic?   I predict, some comes from Mexico with the virus and Pres. Trump will use this politically to his advantage so far, Mexico has not had a case to my knowledge.

I can't wait for Biden to bungle the death numbers like he did the gun deaths.

I am stockpiling some goods, in case a quarantine comes down.   Dry Milk, Beans, and rice, won't be great but it is cheap and stores well.  One never knows, I think areas like San Francisco with a large Chinese population will be hit first.

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I work at a hospital in MA and everything I've heard at my job hasn't been as worrisome as what is in the news.

The current risk of transmission in MA remains low and biocontainment level care is not necessary when treating it yet. One of the doctors also told me that respitory diseases/virus are worse in places like China where the air quality is poor.

If the outbreak starts I'll obviously be concerned, but as of now i'm not concerned.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829

I'm pretty sure Pence's job is to 'manage the message'.   To prevent anyone from CDC putting out anything alarmist anymore that would rattle the markets.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
Making Pence the point on this gives me much more confidence that this will be handled in a proper manner and not like something that the public needs to be deceived about to make sure the economy stays strong so that Trump's main re-election strategy/talking point stays in place.

Trump appeared unprepared and quite clueless in that presser. Pence certainly appeared like the competent adult in the room.

Really?  I'm pretty sure the whole point of putting Pence in charge of this is to tamp down on CDC news releases.   Yes, it avoids having Trump as the 'leader of the Covid-19 response', but that's not really something that was going to happen anyway.

Trump was p---ed about the earlier CDC statement about the inevitability of the virus and how it was received by the markets.   That's why he's putting Pence on it.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.