Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 320766 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #5535 on: January 08, 2021, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 2528
how can people see news like this and not take the covid seriously

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article248367275.html

Sadly this has been going on for many months now. If people didn't care then, they still won't now.

Also, it's nice the vaccines are out, but these numbers are going to continue like this for at least the next 3 months. And the effects of the vaccine won't be felt until the summer according to a Doctor I work with at the hospital.

That's because obviously healthcare workers, elder population, nursing homes, etc. are getting vaccinated which is awesome, but there's still that large percentage of the general population that needs to be vaccinated and with how slowly vaccines are being distributed + administered, it'll probably be another 4-5 months until it's available for the general public.

Or of course, if you're rich/famous you can jump the line and get it, because that's America for you  ::)

or be 31 year old OAC    :'(

« Reply #5536 on: January 09, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572
Meanwhile I bring up Australia again (because I used to live in Sydney 20 years ago and I still have friends from then that I keep in touch with) - the city of Brisbane, in Queenland, has gone into a three day lockdown for ONE case. ONE!! They take it serious. I guess if you've kept it out for the past 10 months and have been able to enjoy a relatively normal life, with normal crowds at shops, sporting events and not having to worry about taking the virus home to your parents or grandparents, you're willing to accept extreme measures to keep it out.

Greater Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown
By Lucy Stone

Greater Brisbane will enter a three-day lockdown, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced.

It follows the discovery of a Queensland hotel quarantine cleaner who tested positive with the UK variant of coronavirus.

"We are going to go early and go hard," Ms Palaszczuk said.

The lockdown will cover Metro North, Metro South and West Moreton Hospital and Health Services - the council areas of Brisbane, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Logan and Redlands.

It will start at 6pm AEST tonight, Friday, and last until 6pm AEST Monday.

All residents living in those areas will be required to stay at home, the Premier says. "Think of it as a long weekend at home," she says.

Queensland recorded nine positive cases in hotel quarantine today and 13,000 tests were conducted in the latest reporting period.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/coronavirus-updates-live-nation-s-covid-vaccine-rollout-may-begin-in-february-case-found-at-brisbane-quarantine-hotel-20210108-p56sji.html

Also Hoop, on your post above, it's a minor quibble but I think @gouki88 and other Australians, not to mention a number of New Zealanders on this forum, might be surprised to realize that their countries are not considered part of the Western world, when for the most part they were colonized by Europeans, have a predominantly European culture which virtually destroyed the indigenous culture that was initially there (Aus more so than NZ) and share Western values and heritage. Certainly they have been influenced by their location in Oceania on the globe but having lived in Australia for a number of years 20 years ago I think they're certainly part of the Western world, even if they are geographically not located there. But I don't want to take away from the main focus of the thread, just wanted to voice my opinion. I do agree that Japan, South Korea and Taiwan are not part of the West, due to value systems and just cultural origins, and I also agree that all five countries are technologically advanced democracies, which I think was the original point you were trying to make.

Yes, and that they have substantial populations and reliable Covid-19 data. If you only look at the US, Italy, Spain, and the UK, you might conclude that our response to the virus might, sadly, be about as good as could be expected. I wanted to include those comparable countries to make the point that an effective response was possible for us; we have done so badly because of a failure in leadership.

You sometimes hear that we cannot afford 'lockdowns'; but an inability to contain the virus will wreck the economy - it's a false choice.

It's a completely false choice and one that keeps being brought up for political reasons. Australia and NZ went into lockdowns early, as soon as they started to get cases that were in the 20s...they made sure all local transmission was eliminated and as a result their economies were able to open up quicker. The people had more confidence in being out and about and so the impact of the fear factor on the economy was reduced. Certainly there was an economic impact but it's been nothing like the prolonged drag that we've seen on our economy in the US and in Europe.

Those governments had the political will to carry out the lockdowns, they had a clear and coherent message to their population as to why and how long it would be, and they enforced it. As a result they are in much better shape. The US response vs the response of say a country like Australia or NZ, which is most similar to the US in terms of culture and values like democracy, liberty and freedom, will be an interesting case study in the future.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5537 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:23 AM »

Online NKY fan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 82
Meanwhile I bring up Australia again (because I used to live in Sydney 20 years ago and I still have friends from then that I keep in touch with) - the city of Brisbane, in Queenland, has gone into a three day lockdown for ONE case. ONE!! They take it serious. I guess if you've kept it out for the past 10 months and have been able to enjoy a relatively normal life, with normal crowds at shops, sporting events and not having to worry about taking the virus home to your parents or grandparents, you're willing to accept extreme measures to keep it out.

By Lucy Stone

Greater Brisbane will enter a three-day lockdown, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced.

It follows the discovery of a Queensland hotel quarantine cleaner who tested positive with the UK variant of coronavirus.

The lockdown will cover Metro North, Metro South and West Moreton Hospital and Health Services - the council areas of Brisbane, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Logan and Redlands.

All residents living in those areas will be required to stay at home, the Premier says. "Think of it as a long weekend at home," she says.

Queensland recorded nine positive cases in hotel quarantine today and 13,000 tests were conducted in the latest reporting period.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/coronavirus-updates-live-nation-s-covid-vaccine-rollout-may-begin-in-february-case-found-at-brisbane-quarantine-hotel-20210108-p56sji.html

Also Hoop, on your post above, it's a minor quibble but I think @gouki88 and other Australians, not to mention a number of New Zealanders on this forum, might be surprised to realize that their countries are not considered part of the Western world, when for the most part they were colonized by Europeans, have a predominantly European culture which virtually destroyed the indigenous culture that was initially there (Aus more so than NZ) and share Western values and heritage. Certainly they have been influenced by their location in Oceania on the globe but having lived in Australia for a number of years 20 years ago I think they're certainly part of the Western world, even if they are geographically not located there. But I don't want to take away from the main focus of the thread, just wanted to voice my opinion. I do agree that Japan, South Korea and Taiwan are not part of the West, due to value systems and just cultural origins, and I also agree that all five countries are technologically advanced democracies, which I think was the original point you were trying to make.

Yes, and that they have substantial populations and reliable Covid-19 data. If you only look at the US, Italy, Spain, and the UK, you might conclude that our response to the virus might, sadly, be about as good as could be expected. I wanted to include those comparable countries to make the point that an effective response was possible for us; we have done so badly because of a failure in leadership.

You sometimes hear that we cannot afford 'lockdowns'; but an inability to contain the virus will wreck the economy - it's a false choice.

It's a completely false choice and one that keeps being brought up for political reasons. Australia and NZ went into lockdowns early, as soon as they started to get cases that were in the 20s...they made sure all local transmission was eliminated and as a result their economies were able to open up quicker. The people had more confidence in being out and about and so the impact of the fear factor on the economy was reduced. Certainly there was an economic impact but it's been nothing like the prolonged drag that we've seen on our economy in the US and in Europe.

Those governments had the political will to carry out the lockdowns, they had a clear and coherent message to their population as to why and how long it would be, and they enforced it. As a result they are in much better shape. The US response vs the response of say a country like Australia or NZ, which is most similar to the US in terms of culture and values like democracy, liberty and freedom, will be an interesting case study in the future.
Are you sure you can eliminate the virus with lockdowns? The virus is still out there in the animal kingdom spreading . Can you lock down every other week when news of the virus break out?

« Reply #5538 on: January 10, 2021, 02:15:41 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

By Lucy Stone

Are you sure you can eliminate the virus with lockdowns?

As I said, it’s a false choice. A wide range of measures is available to isolate the virus and stop its  spread. The response has to be specific to the conditions of a specific community. If there is unchecked spread in a community, then more drastic measures are called for until you get the numbers down. In all of 2020, we never got ahead of the virus in this country; not surprisingly, we had our worst week of the pandemic last week.

In order to get ahead of the virus you have to do surveillance testing and contact tracing. This is not rocket science, but it does require cooperation from the population at large, a coordinated response (i.e., Federal), and an army of contact tracers.

Almost a year into this plague, only a very few states have sufficient contact tracing capability. We are a highly mobile nation; that should be handled at the Federal level. In any case, community spread is so high in most states that contract tracing is doomed to be ineffective.

Our testing has been undermined by slow results and continued insufficiency of numbers; tests that have a turnaround of more than 24 hours are less useful; eight-day turnarounds have not been uncommon, even as we’ve paid ungodly sums to deliver them. Those are worse than useless.

In any case, we’ve mostly only been testing people who are likely to be infected, which keeps us in a fog of uncertainty; it’s a game of whack-a-mole. To contain the virus, you have to do surveillance testing so you can isolate it. This is especially critical with Covid-19, which has a high % of asymptomatic cases.

The virus is still out there in the animal kingdom spreading .

And other viruses as well. But of course the main issue is that it’s spreading rapidly among human beings.

A universal coronavirus vaccine is possible, as is a universal influenza vaccine. One bright spot of this dark year has been the startling advancement in vaccine technology; perhaps now we can invest in the next step, ahead of any coming pandemic.

Can you lock down every other week when news of the virus break out?

You need to respond to the conditions in a specific community. But first you need to know what the data are. In most parts of this country, we’ve been behind the data curve for a year. A year! This is a failure of leadership, specifically of presidential leadership, although governors, in many cases, are equally at fault. Thank God we elected Joe Biden.

Contact tracing begins to be difficult when test positivity rises above 3%. We now have 29 states with test positivity above 10%, meaning that contact tracing is impossible; we have six states above 30%!

The states that are utterly failing in their Covid response:

Idaho
Iowa
South Dakota
Alabama
Kansas
Pennsylvania

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:53:16 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5539 on: January 12, 2021, 03:59:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572

By Lucy Stone

Are you sure you can eliminate the virus with lockdowns?

As I said, it’s a false choice. A wide range of measures is available to isolate the virus and stop its  spread. The response has to be specific to the conditions of a specific community. If there is unchecked spread in a community, then more drastic measures are called for until you get the numbers down. In all of 2020, we never got ahead of the virus in this country; not surprisingly, we had our worst week of the pandemic last week.

In order to get ahead of the virus you have to do surveillance testing and contact tracing. This is not rocket science, but it does require cooperation from the population at large, a coordinated response (i.e., Federal), and an army of contact tracers.

Almost a year into this plague, only a very few states have sufficient contact tracing capability. We are a highly mobile nation; that should be handled at the Federal level. In any case, community spread is so high in most states that contract tracing is doomed to be ineffective.

Our testing has been undermined by slow results and continued insufficiency of numbers; tests that have a turnaround of more than 24 hours are less useful; eight-day turnarounds have not been uncommon, even as we’ve paid ungodly sums to deliver them. Those are worse than useless.

In any case, we’ve mostly only been testing people who are likely to be infected, which keeps us in a fog of uncertainty; it’s a game of whack-a-mole. To contain the virus, you have to do surveillance testing so you can isolate it. This is especially critical with Covid-19, which has a high % of asymptomatic cases.

The virus is still out there in the animal kingdom spreading .

And other viruses as well. But of course the main issue is that it’s spreading rapidly among human beings.

A universal coronavirus vaccine is possible, as is a universal influenza vaccine. One bright spot of this dark year has been the startling advancement in vaccine technology; perhaps now we can invest in the next step, ahead of any coming pandemic.

Can you lock down every other week when news of the virus break out?

You need to respond to the conditions in a specific community. But first you need to know what the data are. In most parts of this country, we’ve been behind the data curve for a year. A year! This is a failure of leadership, specifically of presidential leadership, although governors, in many cases, are equally at fault. Thank God we elected Joe Biden.

Contact tracing begins to be difficult when test positivity rises above 3%. We now have 29 states with test positivity above 10%, meaning that contact tracing is impossible; we have six states above 30%!

The states that are utterly failing in their Covid response:

Idaho
Iowa
South Dakota
Alabama
Kansas
Pennsylvania

And to Hoop's point, this is why Australia and those other countries have been able to respond with a more diverse toolkit than just either a mass lockdown which is certainly damaging to the economy and to people. Because early on they got ahead of the curve, they never got their daily # of cases to a point where contact tracing became impossible. So they are able to know where those people went and when, and they can have more surgical responses. In the recent Sydney outbreak where they had about 10-20 cases a day they locked down only the Sydney and Northern Sydney area and only for 3 or 4 days.

They are also able to provide this level of information to the public to help people decide if they are at risk and should get tested:

Here's another example where they traced another mini outbreak/positive case to a barbershop:

It's this level of vigilance, and the willingness to sacrifice for each other early on, when few of us in the US were willing to, that allows them to walk around without masks and have a relatively normal life today. For us here in the US the genie has well and truly escaped the bottle so really the only thing that will help us is herd immunity via vaccination, because contact tracing when you have 300k cases a day is really impossible and we don't have everyone in our country prepared to make the sacrifices needed and at this point it's probably too late anyway.

And to Hoop's point, I applied to get a Covid test last week and was rejected, apparently because I'm not sick enough. We barely have the resources now to test sick people, we can't afford to test people who don't have symptoms but may be asymptomatic and are walking around spreading the virus.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:05:57 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5540 on: January 12, 2021, 04:51:41 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 20
Excellent pair of posts there.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5541 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »

Offline gift

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think a large effect of the spread of the virus correlates with some formula of population density/urbanization/commerce traffic. This is why we don't necessarily see places with harsher lockdowns with more success limiting the virus. They are already too suitable of a host.

« Reply #5542 on: January 12, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think a large effect of the spread of the virus correlates with some formula of population density/urbanization/commerce traffic. This is why we don't necessarily see places with harsher lockdowns with more success limiting the virus. They are already too suitable of a host.

Possibly, but you can have harsh lockdowns but still not be doing things that are needed to combat the virus. We've been experiencing that locally here, and everyone is sick of it.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5543 on: January 12, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum

Certainly population density and mobility are factors in spreading the virus. So those locales with more of them are more likely to need more restrictions.

Probably a bigger factor is compliance, though; I've often made the point that Japan, for example, with some very densely populated cities, has not been particularly restrictive of its population, and yet their infection and death rates have remained low. It has a culture with socially distanced habits and norms of contact that were engrained centuries ago; they even have a history of widespread mask use that goes back decades.

New York City is a good case in point. Their initial firestorm of infection spread was answered by very restrictive measures and a high degree of compliance; and while the virus surged in the South and Midwest during the Summer, New York was one of the safest places in the country.

Possibly, but you can have harsh lockdowns but still not be doing things that are needed to combat the virus. We've been experiencing that locally here, and everyone is sick of it.

Certainly.

In the USA we've taken useful measures and then squandered them this whole year.

The travel ban on people and goods from China was an early step we took; it happened at a stage when we know that we already had community spread on the West Coast, but it wasn't a bad step to take and likely reduced some importation of the virus; Mr. Trump's repeated claim that it saved "millions" of lives might not be the most ludicrous thing that he said about Covid-19, but it's one of the top ones at least.

That ban was full of exceptions, letting large numbers of people in in spite of it; but the real problem was that we took no advantage of any time we might have saved by instituting it.

Even more useless was the European travel ban, which was implemented after multiple locations on the East Coast already had out-of-control outbreaks, and which again had so many exceptions that any potential effectiveness was drastically reduced; well, let's face it, that did more harm than good, even if you don't factor in the gobsmacking clownshow of its implementation or its significant economic cost.

(Worse than the vaccine distribution fiasco? That one has been far more consequential in terms of its life and health consequences, though.)
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5544 on: January 13, 2021, 03:05:01 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
4259 recorded COVID-19 deaths in the US yesterday, a new record.
3343  The 7-day average of deaths per day.
2994  The 14-day average of deaths per day, being lower, indicates that deaths are accelerating.
389,621  Total recorded deaths from Covid in the US. We will predictably pass 400,000 deaths in four days, barring a miracle, with the daily toll at its highest since the beginning of the pandemic.

1173  Total COVID-19 deaths in the US, per million population - the Crude Mortality Rate. We are ninth highest in the world, by no means the worst.

“And when you say a per capita, there’s many per capitas, it’s like per capita relative to what. But you can look at just about any category and we’re really at the top, meaning positive, on a per capita basis.“
- Donald Trump

« Reply #5545 on: January 13, 2021, 03:14:15 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
how can people see news like this and not take the covid seriously

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article248367275.html

Sadly this has been going on for many months now. If people didn't care then, they still won't now.

Also, it's nice the vaccines are out, but these numbers are going to continue like this for at least the next 3 months. And the effects of the vaccine won't be felt until the summer according to a Doctor I work with at the hospital.

That's because obviously healthcare workers, elder population, nursing homes, etc. are getting vaccinated which is awesome, but there's still that large percentage of the general population that needs to be vaccinated and with how slowly vaccines are being distributed + administered, it'll probably be another 4-5 months until it's available for the general public.

Or of course, if you're rich/famous you can jump the line and get it, because that's America for you  ::)

or be 31 year old OAC    :'(

I don’t object to AOC getting the vaccine because her district has a demographic with a history of suspicion of vaccines. Politicians need to show their constituents that it’s safe. How about the governors of South Dakota and Iowa?

I don’t hear enough about vaccine shortages. This rollout has been yet another Administration fiasco, with Pfizer saying it had millions of doses in warehouses waiting for instructions.

« Reply #5546 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 2528

« Reply #5547 on: January 15, 2021, 10:31:39 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
No good news .

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/uk/uk-covid-icu-staff-trauma-hotels-gbr-intl/index.html

This whole thing has had effects on most people's mental state. Who can say what will come out of it?

There have been corrosive effects on the economy that only gradually will make themselves known. I fear that some jobs and small businesses are gone for good.

It is accelerating divisions in society that already existed. The people who are managing the best are those who can work remotely and do business virtually.

The people who are managing least well are those who are less well-paid: essential workers who can work but are most at risk; and people who are prevented from working because their businesses require contact. In either case the stresses of the pandemic are greatest on the non-college-educated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:08:25 PM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #5548 on: January 15, 2021, 03:31:53 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
Reported deaths by Covid just passed 400,000 in the US.

Yesterday, they passed 2,000,000 in the world.

I think that’s about it for today. Have a good day!

« Reply #5549 on: January 15, 2021, 03:43:01 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 183
New strand found in my motherland of Brazil. Kind of interesting that it came from the Amazon, where it tends to be a place more isolated than other parts of the country. Either way, it will be interesting to see how this virus mutates. Hopefully not to be more harmful but I wonder if it could become infectious to children or other parts of the population that hasn't been of high risk.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/brazil-a-new-covid-variant-has-been-discovered-heres-what-we-know-so-far.html
Baby Jesus!