Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 238202 times)

libermaniac and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Coronavirus: Concerned?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1254
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Also, a reminder that the Summer Olympics are in Tokyo of all places this summer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/coronavirus-could-leave-only-3-months-decide-fate-tokyo-olympics-n1142401?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I would venture to say the Olympics will not happen this summer.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1228
Jeez stock market is collapsing hard.

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
Jeez stock market is collapsing hard.
It seemed to start shortly after the CDC announcement of when not if the coronavirus arrives in America.

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 497
Have good hygiene, wash your hands often. Can't stress the disgust of how so many men (and women) do not wash their hands after using a public restroom.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
How long until the CDC gets its arm twisted into walking back or flat out contradicting its last statement by the White House because that's what our priorities are now?

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
per WCVB:

Coronavirus 'WILL' spread in the US, CDC says
U.S. health officials are issuing an elevated warning about the spread of coronavirus, according to The Washington Post.
“Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in the United States," said Nancy Messonier, a top official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, during briefings with lawmakers and reporters Tuesday.

Advertisement
“It’s not a question of if this will happen, but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses.”
Officials scrambled to halt the spread of a burgeoning virus Tuesday, from northern Italy where troops were dispatched to enforce quarantines and schools were shuttered, to South Korea, where some neighborhoods in a city of 2.5 million were brought to a near standstill.
New clusters of the illness popped up far from its apparent point of origin in China, fueling apprehension in world financial markets and political institutions. The spread fueled an increased sense of urgency among officials in some of the wealthiest nations in Europe and Asia, as well as in countries like Iran, with far fewer resources to stem the disease. But many remained uncertain about how best to contain it.
At a press conference during his visit to India on Tuesday, President Trump made a number of claims about the virus, which has sickened 80,000 and killed 2,700.
"I think that's a problem that's going to go away," Trump said of the virus, which has expanded this week in Italy, Austria, Croatia and Iran. In Iran, a day after the health minster appeared publicly to make clear that all was well, it was announced he had coronavirus.
In that news conference, Trump alleged that "we're very close to a vaccine."
However, there is no available evidence that a vaccine is "close," in fact, most infectious disease experts say developing a vaccine for the virus is roughly a year away.
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tennessee), who chairs the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, told CNN's Manu Raju Tuesday morning that "the vaccine for the coronavirus is moving more rapidly than any vaccine we have already tried to approve -- but it will take a year or 18 months. The way to stop (an outbreak) is quarantine and monitoring."
Trump also claimed in the news conference that all the U.S. coronavirus patients "are getting better ... they're all getting better."
Early Tuesday morning, Trump tweeted: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!"

He really nailed that.

This is the incessant Even attempts at masking profanity is against site rules. Please refrain. Thanks. BS that drives most of us nuts. Does he have to tell us up is down every dang day?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:13:22 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
Also, Larry Kudlow:

“We have contained this,” he told reporters. He said U.S. government prevention efforts were “pretty close to airtight.” ... “This is very tightly contained in the U.S.,” he said. “Elsewhere it’s a human disaster.”

These guys don't meet the ethical standards of used-car salesmen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/25/f4045570-5758-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html#link-HTJSCNXFLI67JKYS5IIULCRU7M

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 754
How long until the CDC gets its arm twisted into walking back or flat out contradicting its last statement by the White House because that's what our priorities are now?

Since Trump is only concerned about how the coronavirus effects his re-election bid (ie his only way to judge his presidency - the stock market) it may be time to look to other news sources regarding the growing pandemic.  I worry like you that all the official info out from the white house is going to be biased and untruthful on this subject specifically.

Larry Kudlow is just repeating Trump's lies about this.  Crazy me, I thought our government's main responsibility was to protect its citizens not lie to them.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/484561-kudlow-claims-coronavirus-has-been-contained-its-pretty-close-to-air

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 754
Also, Larry Kudlow:

“We have contained this,” he told reporters. He said U.S. government prevention efforts were “pretty close to airtight.” ... “This is very tightly contained in the U.S.,” he said. “Elsewhere it’s a human disaster.”

These guys don't meet the ethical standards of used-car salesmen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/25/f4045570-5758-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html#link-HTJSCNXFLI67JKYS5IIULCRU7M

TP I just linked an article with the same info.

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
Stocks down over 3% for the 2nd straight day....directly tied to coronavirus. Dow down 6.25% in 2 days. Almost 8% in 4 days.

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338

Since Trump is only concerned about how the coronavirus effects his re-election bid (ie his only way to judge his presidency - the stock market) it may be time to look to other news sources regarding the growing pandemic.  I worry like you that all the official info out from the white house is going to be biased and untruthful on this subject specifically.

Larry Kudlow is just repeating Trump's lies about this.  Crazy me, I thought our government's main responsibility was to protect its citizens not lie to them.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/484561-kudlow-claims-coronavirus-has-been-contained-its-pretty-close-to-air

Wasn't Trump literally proposing huge cuts to CDC and to the US share of the WHO budget like two weeks ago? Thats after beginning stages were well underway. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the US government had no real plan at all right now.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2020, 05:39:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
Early Tuesday morning, Trump tweeted: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!"

I guess if you are very rich and have a ton of available cash burning a hole in your pocket, the stock market might look very appealing right now.   Buy low, right?

For the rest of us ... not so much.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2020, 05:44:16 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
Given the increasing number of outbreaks in places like Iran, Kuwait and Egypt, how long before it spreads throughout southwest Asia & the Middle East and reaches places like Syria -- where there is already a massive, horrific humanitarian crisis.

If those refugees crammed up against Turkish border get afflicted with this, the results could be a nightmare.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2020, 06:02:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151

I guess if you are very rich and have a ton of available cash burning a hole in your pocket, the stock market might look very appealing right now.   Buy low, right?

For the rest of us ... not so much.

Exactly buy low. Things usually bounce back so those who buy low make out.