Poll

Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggings?

Andrew Wiggings
20 (27%)
KD
31 (41.9%)
Other
23 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggins?  (Read 13781 times)

Re: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggings?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:06 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Still 21 years old and already scored 41 points in an NBA regular season game.

How many NBA players out there scored 41 when they were 21 years old?

Fwiw Brandon Jennings dropped 55 as a rookie.

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 11:35:33 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Tatum makes the All-Star team this season, the question will be how many NBA players made the All-Star team at 21 years old.

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Tatum makes the All-Star team this season, the question will be how many NBA players made the All-Star team at 21 years old.
The real question will be how meaningless accolades are in measuring player quality (not saying that Tatum isn't an All-Star calibre wing, but using All-Star/All-NBA selections as a measuring stick is exactly how people end up with laughing off guards like Reggie Miller, whose career value is actually close to the likes of John Stockton, in their top 40 lists).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 11:43:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
The real question will be how meaningless accolades are in measuring player quality (not saying that Tatum isn't an All-Star calibre wing, but using All-Star/All-NBA selections as a measuring stick is exactly how people end up with laughing off guards like Reggie Miller, whose career value is actually close to the likes of John Stockton, in their top 40 lists).

Well, guys like Andrew Wiggins don't make All-Star teams or All-NBA teams.

So if Tatum makes those teams then that must mean Tatum's quality must be very good!

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
As for the OP's question I think that Tatum is nothing like Wiggins or KD, his ceiling looks like a Paul Pierce/Paul George hybrid.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 11:46:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Well, guys like Andrew Wiggins don't make All-Star teams or All-NBA teams.

So if Tatum makes those teams then that must mean Tatum's quality must be very good!
Actually not really, guys like Andrew Wiggins have actually made All-Star and All-NBA teams off big scoring seasons.

Tatum making those teams won't make his quality very good, his actual play on the court will determine how good he is.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 12:26:52 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I think both Tatum and Brown may become superstar players. Tatum looks more the part at times because he is just more naturally talented offensively than Brown is. But Brown has made tremendous strides with his offensive skill set. It may take Brown another few years but if he could get his skills (ball handling, foot work in traffic, etc, a bit more refined) he could explode to another whole level as well. And that confidence in knowing you can do what you want out there when you’ve got it going is what makes a superstar look, and play the part.

It’s like Tatum has all the natural skills and nuance but needs to add, in his own way for his body, Jaylen strength. Jaylen conversely, has all the natural physical gifts and strength but has had to work really hard to hone his skills. It doesn’t come as easy for him on the offensive end, it’s not as intuitive, it’s more mechanical. But he’s getting there.

And what’s nice about both is they are already quite good defensively and still have real defensive upside from here with more experience and strength. We really need to find that 3rd, young, front court chip (Center or PF) to go with them.

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Sorry, to answer the question asked by the OP, his numbers may look like Wiggins but he is far closer to KD as far as a killer mode mentality when it matters - That is a rare quality and it’s why Tatum has such upside. Tatum needs another two years of experience and probably 15-20 pounds of strength and he’ll be nearly unstoppable.

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 01:32:37 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So Tatum just put up 41 points on the Pelicans.

The scoring is impressive.  Then again the opponent is the Pelicans.

But the ceiling is definitely high for Tatum.

I don't believe he will be a Durant type because Durant's height (almost 7 feet) and wingspan are unreal.

They have a different body types.

Tatum is a natural scorer though and he is very cool under pressure so I have no problem with him taking the last shot in a game or quarter.

To me Tatum feels like a more efficient, less selfish, better defending Carmelo Anthony.
I find it very encouraging that Tatum has nearly doubled his average assist total from rookie year to third year, while also increasing his shots per game and points per game.

I believe we are seeing Tatum start to blossom, and he is only going to get better from here.  I do expect him to end up with over 20 ppg this season and around 3 apg and 6rpg.  Next year,  he might make another jump to the 25 ppg, scoring leader role.

Right now I love how Kemba Walker has fit in so seamlessly with the Celtics.  Our young studs are both improving, and Gordon Hayward is playing important minutes well.

We should go deep into the playoffs this time, I expect us in the Conference Finals barring any weird circumstances.  Of course then we will likely face the Bucks or Sixers, and both will be really tough outs.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 06:03:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Inconsistent at times...but the talent IS undeniable AND is THERE - right up there with KD.

Defense is solid - better than Wiggins.

Only 21.

And makes plays like THIS in a crucial playoff game.

For ME - he is MUCH closer to Kevin Durantula and it's not even close.

He needs to focus on bringing it consistently AND against tougher defense. When the opponents take away something - kill them in another area.

He IS growing...getting better.

I mean - Durant didn't become DURANT until like his 4th or 5th year, right?

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Inconsistent at times...but the talent IS undeniable AND is THERE - right up there with KD.

Only 21.

He needs to focus on bringing it consistently AND against tougher defense. When the opponents take away something - kill them in another area.

So true.

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How does the OP feel about him about last night's game.

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 07:48:35 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
So Tatum just put up 41 points on the Pelicans.

The scoring is impressive.  Then again the opponent is the Pelicans.

But the ceiling is definitely high for Tatum.

I don't believe he will be a Durant type because Durant's height (almost 7 feet) and wingspan are unreal.

They have a different body types.

Tatum is a natural scorer though and he is very cool under pressure so I have no problem with him taking the last shot in a game or quarter.

To me Tatum feels like a more efficient, less selfish, better defending Carmelo Anthony.
I find it very encouraging that Tatum has nearly doubled his average assist total from rookie year to third year, while also increasing his shots per game and points per game.

I believe we are seeing Tatum start to blossom, and he is only going to get better from here.  I do expect him to end up with over 20 ppg this season and around 3 apg and 6rpg.  Next year,  he might make another jump to the 25 ppg, scoring leader role.

Right now I love how Kemba Walker has fit in so seamlessly with the Celtics.  Our young studs are both improving, and Gordon Hayward is playing important minutes well.

We should go deep into the playoffs this time, I expect us in the Conference Finals barring any weird circumstances.  Of course then we will likely face the Bucks or Sixers, and both will be really tough outs.

Comparisons are really in the eye of the beholder, but as a general rule, if you have to qualify your comparison with three "more" "less" or "better," they probably aren't that similar.

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Only 21.

In his third season, age 21, Durant averaged 30 ppg on 20 shots, ending with a TS% of .607. That’s monster stuff. Also, his game was pretty different than Jay’s. He got to the line 10 times a game and took only 4 threes a game. He was, at that point in his career, a much more accomplished scorer in the paint than Tatum is.

None of this is meant to dog Tatum. He’s really good. But Durant was on another level.

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Tatum is still growing his game, and his body.  The missing part is added strength so he can take it to the hole and score despite contact and get to the line.  HE adds that to his game and he adds another 6-8 pts/game to his stats as most of his inefficient midrange game turns into layups, dunks, and free throws.  Really the part of his game that is missing.  I think his D will also improve with strength, as will his rebounding.  He gets that, the last step is the drive and swing to the open guy to get more assists.  He is really pretty close on this if he can add 10-15 lbs of muscle to his frame.