Author Topic: Bloomberg Enters Presidential Race  (Read 1242 times)

Re: Bloomberg Enters Presidential Race
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Terry Rozier
  • Tommy Points: 9
Michael Bloomberg's hat looks like it's in the ring.   He checks a lot of boxes for me.  77 is apparently the new 50.

I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Thoughts?

Bloomberg has zero chance of winning.  People will campaign about him limiting pop sizes in NYC.   He is not and was not even popular there how on God's green earth will he do well in the heartland.

Politicians need Charisma, Bloomberg is lacking in that department.

Bloomberg seems to be an exception.  He has bona fides -- Mayor of NYC, billionaire businessman, philanthropist.  In many ways he represents the anti-Trump as a businessman/politician.  Little charisma... downright dull... but smart and proven.  Someone that anyone can vote for. Possibly a great 4-year POTUS to follow Trump.

The idea that Donald Trump would be defeated by anyone remotely qualified to be president should have died in 2016.

Bloomberg has been doing this will he/won't he act for the last thirteen years. In fact, the first time he wrote "I'm not running for President, but..." was in 2008.

This is a total ego trip from an utterly milquetoast human being who happens to carry around a chequebook worth more than Puerto Rico.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »

Online Sophomore

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 372
There are so many ppl who would have a bigger effect if they got in.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1192925920249692161?s=20

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1143
  • Ignoring mortality we worship mediocrity
All things being equal, I would probably vote for Bloomberg, but as it seems like an unlikely bid, I will be pushing for Biden. I understand Sanders/Warren have good intentions, but I don't know that I am ready for that kind of revolution.

Calling out Bloomberg for his proposed soda limits is like calling Warren, Pocahonatas, or saying that Obama is a muslim. It is just in bad taste and doesn't signify anything about the actual candidate.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 291
The same was said of Trump.  He seems to be doing well there

I think maybe you and your friends might have said this because I did a google search and I found very little to back up this assertion.

He draws huge crowds, you may not like him, but he was in media and TV shows.  This is a great article on Pres. Trump's Charisma

It was Max Weber who imported the concept of charisma from its religious meaning of a divinely conferred gift into the sociology of political power. It has since entered everyday vocabulary, as Merriam-Webster reports: first, that of everyday political commentary, to mean “a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (such as a political leader),” and then, even more widely and vaguely, to signify “a special magnetic charm or appeal,” as in “the charisma of a popular actor.”

If we want to explore its relevance to the present moment, it will best to return to Weber’s usage. His “charisma” brought together a number of features of a particular form of what Weber called Herrschaft—the power to compel people to obey. It differs sharply from two other forms: the “traditional” (where people obey because of age-old laws and customs) and the “rational-legal” (whose authority comes from widely accepted impersonal and impartial rules). These two forms sustain the everyday (alltäglich) order and routines of traditional and bureaucratic life. They contribute to continuity and permanence. Weber saw such order as an essential background for economic growth under capitalism.

Charisma, by contrast, is exceptional and disruptive. It is “specifically extraordinary” (spezifisch ausseralltäglich). It is in the first place, he wrote, highly personal. It is a “certain quality of an individual personality, by virtue of which he is set apart from ordinary men and treated as endowed with supernatural, superhuman, or at least specifically extraordinary power or qualities.” These are “not accessible to the ordinary person, but are regarded as of divine origin or as exemplary, and on the basis of them, the individual concerned is treated as a leader.” The social relations involved are “purely personal”: the followers have an entirely personal devotion to the leader and this is elicited by, in the words of Christopher Adair-Toteff, “the ‘leader’s’ ability to seem to be able to perform ‘miracles’ or to perform heroic acts.”1 They recognize the personal qualifications and characteristics of the charismatic leader, whom they view as having been chosen, as belonging to God’s grace. The religious analogies are significant. Charisma is linked by Weber with both magic and prophecy, realms where power derives from personal gifts.

Charisma is, fourthly, irrational. Like the mystic, the charismatic leader is believed in because his message goes against common knowledge of how the world works, because it rejects and disrupts what is taken for granted, including the everyday pursuit of interests and the impersonal norms governing daily life. Weber thought that this meant that pure charisma rejects economic gain and indeed any type of routine and regulated economic life. (But, as we know, many charismatic leaders have, for a time, been seen as economic saviors: Hitler put Germany back to work and ended hyperinflation, and under Mussolini, as the saying goes, the trains ran on time.)

Charisma, Weber insisted, is inherently personal. Given the public’s longstanding familiarity with Trump as a TV celebrity and given the extravagant narcissism of his personality, when applied to him, the term already seems drastically understated. Add to all this his astonishingly hubristic claim that “I alone can fix it,” regarding Middle-Eastern terrorism and a host of other issues, and you have a clear instance of what a 21st-century cult of personality looks like

https://www.publicbooks.org/big-picture-trumps-charisma/

It is written by Steven Lukes, a social theorist.  Pres. Trump has some of those characteristics.   Bloomberg does not.

A lot of the super-rich Democrats are not happy with some of the tax proposals of some folks like Warren and Sanders are proposing on them.   Bill Gates said he had paid 10 billion  in taxes thus and he could pay 20 billion but he thought it would be a problem if he would have to pay 90 billion or something along those lines.   Could this be an attempt to curb some of that talk?

Indulging his ego?

Possible, but mark my words he may be undone by soda pop.
Good article, this part seems to summarize his inherent charm to his constituents.

In fact, his base extends across the country and across social classes, but the common denominator is that it is predominantly white, and it is his appeal to “whiteness” that seems to underlie his charismatic appeal. Overt racism and nationalism are once again central in American political life, as more moderate Republican politicians resort to racism and nationalism to avoid being ousted from the right in primaries, often in gerrymandered constituencies. Thus, the anti-diversity sentiment behind many of Trump’s signature slogans—Make America Great Again, Build the Wall—has become part of the Republican Party’s brand.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2719
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Desus and Mero had the best take on this: "He wants to be president? He didn't even like being mayor! Remember that? He hated being mayor!"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner