Author Topic: The political genius of DJT must be acknowledged at some point.  (Read 1330 times)

Re: The political genius of DJT must be acknowledged at some point.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline seancally

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 53
Sitting down with Chairman Kim is also no small feat. If it were done by Obama, he would win another Nobel Peace Prize (which he won just for getting elected, go figure). He is the only world leader to engage in serious talks with Kim.

Sure, except that it didn't result in any positive outcomes for the world regarding NK's nuclear capabilities. Still hard at work building bombs. All that meeting did was serve to legitimize a nuclear-crazed authoritarian regime. For Trump it was a serious talk. For Kim it was a photo-op.

Other meetings the President has had that didn't go so well - Putin, where he made buddy-buddy with the guy who has worked tirelessly to destabilize Western democracy, including our own elections... Erdogan, where he (apparently) acquiesced to Turkey's ambitions in Northern Syria instead of using the incredible diplomatic and military leverage we have to stand up to them... Zelensky, where his carelessness and lack of principle may well get him impeached.

I don't think Trump is a political genius. I think he has a savvy team around him who know how to push Americans' buttons. I think he has a far better social media / digital strategy than leading Democrats. I also think he's the result of a particular set of circumstances in this country that he/his team recognized and capitalized on.

Lastly, it is incredibly difficult to land punched on the POTUS while he/she's in office. The executive branch was established with broad powers and its power has increased. POTUS is extremely powerful. So the fact that he hasn't been arrested yet is hardly some act of political cunning.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27314
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The guy is the greatest, most successful con man of all time. There’s tremendous talent in that, but also a lack of morality and ethics.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1143
  • Ignoring mortality we worship mediocrity
Just to clarify, I don't think Trump actually knows policy or has the ability to make rational, informed decisions any better than a 2nd grader; he is just a 'genius' at being able to rile up his base while at the same time making the Dems look like weak, pedantic whiners. Years ago he called himself a winner and that is exactly what he knows how to do. Unfortunately he cares a lot more about his personal interests than what is actually good for the country. Like it or not (hopefully not) - for such a corrupt, narcissistic jerk - the guy really is incredible at what he does. Like, people are still [sincerely] saying he and Hillary are equally bad. It's remarkable!

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1179
  • What a Pub Should Be
I will say that the idea of trying to play the public against the media with the "fake news" concept ended up being quite the success for him.

The guy is the greatest, most successful con man of all time. There’s tremendous talent in that, but also a lack of morality and ethics.

Absolutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 61
Is it political genius or the collective stupidity/ignorance of the American voter?  We love to complain about the people WE put into office.  At what point do we take a hard look in the mirror?

At the same time, it's hard to label someone a political genius who basically moonwalks themselves into impeachment.  Between the actions themselves, the tweets, the press conferences, sending Rudy out as a talking head, etc.  The guy has begged for every ounce of scrutiny given to his presidency.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1650
Maybe in the way PT Barnum had genius.  I think many of us are reluctant to credit a person we who we think is not a credit-worthy person. Not in the same league, but one could credit Hitler and his “cabinet” with certain skills or a Jim Jones or David Koresh.  Obviously Trump hasn’t used his skills for evil, but for many of us he’s in the mid-zone — he’s does enough bad with his skill for us to be reluctant to praise him for it.  That said, I understand the praise.

On another note, totally agree that politicians don’t all do what Trump does.  Easy out.  It’s like saying ALL people are liars because once in a while we all lie.   I’ve lied but it doesn’t define or personify me.  Likewise, politicians (and salesmen, for example) spin and distort and selectively emphasize as part of what they generally do.  But I don’t think “liar” defines Obama, Romney, McCain, George Washington, HW, Reagan, Carter, Ford, etc. as it does Trump.  No politician since Joe  McCarthy (IMO) is more defined by lying and deceit than our current POTUS.  He’s not a typical politician.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline td450

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think the more important thing to acknowledge is just how much resentment has built up over the years about progressive changes in the country. A third of the electorate has become disgusted enough that it has become virtually impossible for them to view Trump as a worse choice.

Trump is surfing this resentment, he didn't create it. We have a dangerous divide in our culture that is going to be very difficult to fix.