Author Topic: Are the Democrats/Left Hurting the Country..  (Read 31616 times)

Re: Are the Democrats/Left Hurting the Country..
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226

If anything is hurting the country, itís this type of conduct.

« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Any reaction to Pelosi at the State of the Union last night?

Most of my moderate and progressive friends hated it, and it just added to a growing sense among them that Trump's reelection is inevitable.  Between Iowa, Pelosi, and concerns about Bernie's place in the race, morale has been very low.  But, my friends aren't necessarily representative of Democrats at large.

What's the general feeling here?
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9340

Most of my moderate and progressive friends hated it, and it just added to a growing sense among them that Trump's reelection is inevitable.  Between Iowa, Pelosi, and concerns about Bernie's place in the race, morale has been very low.  But, my friends aren't necessarily representative of Democrats at large.

I don't think they're hurting it nearly as much as the Republicans are. 

Last night was a couple of petty moves.  First Trump not shaking Pelosi's hand and then Pelosi later publicly ripping up the printed speech. 

I don't think his re-election is inevitable.  I think he'll draw his core.   If the Dems can get out their own voters and have them unite behind whoever gets the nomination, I think Trump's out.  that's been a problem far too often for the Dems though -- organizing their members is too frequently like trying to herd cats.

for independents, it comes down to what they personally think of Trump.  I personally think it's imperative he needs to go.  Other independents I know are all in agreement on that but we're in RI and Mass which is going to go Dem no matter how we vote.  As for other independents elsewhere, if they want Trump out but are concerned about voting for a Dem progressive if one is the nominee, they'd have to evaluate the reality that with Moscow Mitch still in charge of the Senate (highly likely unfortunately since I think he's been as bad for the country as Trump) no progressive programs will be approved in the Senate.  He'll stonewall everything just like he's done since the Dems took over the House.  I'd be surprised if any moderate program or program with bi-partisan support would get through the Senate just because I don't think Moscow Mitch will want to give any future Dem president a 'political win'.

« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2020, 12:42:08 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 164
Meh...sheís salty about the failure to have him removed. So what? I donít expect her to be civil and cross party lines and I donít expect Trump to either. Itís the state of our country and clearly Pelosi canít do anything to fix it. If she acted conciliatory would it have been better? Would it change anybodies opinion? My guess is it would just embolden Trump for more ďI told you soĒ. At this moment, There is only one person that could possibly mend the fence and start to bring this country together....Iím not willing to put any amount of money for that happening. I donít see Pelosis gesture as anything that helps or hurts either party in the upcoming election. Itís a moment, maybe a gross moment but just a moment.

As usual the right makes mistakes and gets away with it and the left looks like bumbling grumpy idiots. Eventually, Maybe not this election cycle, Democrats will come into power and things will swing the other way....Until the left makes more mistakes and it will go back. Lather, rinse, repeat. This is what truly moderates the country, 8-12 year cycles, not a single candidate that sits in the middle or a silly moment.

« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8053
I had as much problem with Pelosi's ripping of the speech as I did Trump's not shaking Pelosi's hand....meaning none. No big deal. It's both being petty and divisive.

Trump is in trouble, IMO, in the election. Trump has lost females in the suburbs and Puertoricans and Cubans in Florida. Given the amount of Puertoricans migrating to Florida because of Hurricane Maria and the earthquakes, that increase in the voting block will probably tip Florida blue. And the woman votes in the suburbs probably cost Trump a couple of other important states.

Turnout in swing states will decide the election and these two factors are going to make a huge difference in swing states where Trump's margin of victory was so slim.

« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2020, 02:07:25 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 64

Roy, I ask the question - why didn't mention Trump NOT shaking her hand? She extended her hand, and he didn't shake it. Isn't that what actually made her rip up his speech?

« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27138
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Roy, I ask the question - why didn't mention Trump NOT shaking her hand? She extended her hand, and he didn't shake it. Isn't that what actually made her rip up his speech?

That sort of behavior is expected from Trump. Pelosi is getting down on his level, and the Dems I know think itís a self-inflicted wound.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 64

That sort of behavior is expected from Trump. Pelosi is getting down on his level, and the Dems I know think itís a self-inflicted wound.
But here we go again, with Trump being able to 'get away' with bad behavior and NOT being called for it - PERIOD. I think you should have called him out for NOT shaking her hand.
Nancy did stoop to his level she was wrong for doing that.

« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 818

I think she ripped up the speech because of its content.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

I do find it strange that people hate Pelosi acting like Trump, which most seem to agree is a negative thing,  yet this somehow makes it seem more likely that Trump is going to be elected.

That aside I think this is half an overreaction in that its not going to effect election in any way, I can't feasibly imagine someone sitting at the polls 9 months from now saying "man I wanted to vote democrat but Pelosi ripped some paper in half so trump it is"

That said, it was also childish. Can we all just pretend to tolerate each other?

« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2736
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the morons on my facebook timeline who think Pelosi stole the original draft of the speech and tore it up to like...deny it having a place in history, that's pretty funny.

But I disapprove.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:02 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 19
Why anybody would vote to give these people more power and money I will never understand.

« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Tacko Fall
  • Tommy Points: 164
Why anybody would vote to give these people more power and money I will never understand.

Huh? You donít vote?

« Reply #283 on: February 05, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 19

Huh? You donít vote?

I don't vote for people that promise more war and more programs.  I would abstain rather than vote for the lesser evil or a morally corrupt liar.  Power needs to flow back to the people not further centralized. 

« Reply #284 on: February 05, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151
Ripping up a copy of the speech is weak. If she yelled, threw the speech on the floor, defecated on it, then picked it up and threw at Trump that would have been a show.