Poll

Where do you currently stand on the impeachment/removal from office of President Trump?

Against impeachment, and furthermore this is a witch hunt.
7 (11.5%)
Against impeachment, evidence evidence of wrongdoing is lacking
2 (3.3%)
Against impeachment, the wrongdoing is not worthy of impeachment
1 (1.6%)
For impeachment, but against removal (a rebuke of the presdients actions)
3 (4.9%)
For impeachment, for removal
44 (72.1%)
I can't decide. I will wait and see as inquiry proceeds.
4 (6.6%)
I haven't followed this closely enough to have an opinion.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: This Ukraine thing (aka, the impeachment thing, hearings underway)  (Read 72120 times)

Re: This Ukraine thing (aka, the impeachment thing)
« Reply #1410 on: November 11, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1143
  • Ignoring mortality we worship mediocrity
How do you explain why republicans on Capital Hill, and a sizeable majority of the republican electorate, are so fiercely loyal to this president? 

The other choice is letting a democrat 'win'.  The Hatfields don't let the McCoys win and vice versa.

Yeah, the presidency isn't about the president anymore, it's about the courts. The Dems slipped up last time, probably because they have had (basic) control for so long, but with Trump getting two Supreme Court justices in the matter of a year or two, I am hoping they come to their senses and unite this time around. No more sour grapes that Sanders didn't get the nomination or going for the Green Party protest vote. Even religious people know that their best hope for the future is Trump...and that is obviously a total joke.

Live! Updates from the Impeachment hearings
« Reply #1411 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 60
Just thought that I'd get the ball rolling on what's happening on the impeachment trials as they play out live.

Re: Live! Updates from the Impeachment hearings
« Reply #1412 on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1194
I have a question....if the GOP did not have one vote for this investigation, why do they want witnesses? They have already signified they are not interested in investigating. Should they not be barred from the hearings. I mean their only purpose is to now disrupt the proceedings.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:41:12 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #1413 on: November 13, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »

Online KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1366
I have a question....if the GOP did not have one vote for this investigation, why do they want witnesses? They havr already signified they are not interested in investigating. Should they not be barred from the hearings. I mean their only purpose is to now disrupt the proceedings.

Conversely, why even bother having a hearing at all? We already know every single Democrat in the House is going to vote to impeach.

Nothing that comes out of the hearing has any chance of changing anyone's mind, one way or the other. They ought to just save everyone the time, dispense with the dog and pony show, and hold their vote. We all know how this is going to play out already.

« Reply #1414 on: November 13, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
I have a question....if the GOP did not have one vote for this investigation, why do they want witnesses? They havr already signified they are not interested in investigating. Should they not be barred from the hearings. I mean their only purpose is to now disrupt the proceedings.

Conversely, why even bother having a hearing at all? We already know every single Democrat in the House is going to vote to impeach.

Nothing that comes out of the hearing has any chance of changing anyone's mind, one way or the other. They ought to just save everyone the time, dispense with the dog and pony show, and hold their vote. We all know how this is going to play out already.

What the Dems are trying to do is sway moderates/Independents in hopes of putting pressure on the Rep Senators.

« Reply #1415 on: November 13, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1194
I have a question....if the GOP did not have one vote for this investigation, why do they want witnesses? They have already signified they are not interested in investigating. Should they not be barred from the hearings. I mean their only purpose is to now disrupt the proceedings.

thanks for the commentary now do you have an answer to my question?

Re: This Ukraine thing (aka, the impeachment thing, hearings underway)
« Reply #1416 on: November 13, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6281
Republicans already trying to push for whistleblower so they can out him and then spin their whole "he is a leftist spy, making things up, working for the Deep State that is attempting to undermine the President" theory.

« Reply #1417 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »

Online KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1366

What the Dems are trying to do is sway moderates/Independents in hopes of putting pressure on the Rep Senators.

And why shouldn't Republicans be afforded the same opportunity to 'sway' the supposed undecideds?

« Reply #1418 on: November 13, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Taylor testifies a staff member of his heard Trump talking to Sondland on the phone and Trump specifically asked if Ukraine was going forward with the investigations he wanted. This happened just last Friday and Taylor reported it right away.

« Reply #1419 on: November 13, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney

And why shouldn't Republicans be afforded the same opportunity to 'sway' the supposed undecideds?
They are given that opportunity....they are just blowing it with trying to distract with whataboutism and pointing elsewhere. They have had ample opportunity, but they are trying to discredit process and smear character instead of getting to the facts.

« Reply #1420 on: November 13, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2719
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Honestly I think we should carry this right into every aspect of our life. Just see what is probably going to happen and then pretend it already happened. Just fast forward directly to the conclusion and don't bother with the process. The Celtics win tonight. 1 of my 3 kids turns out crappy, probably the younger one. I'll flip a coin for my marriage. I'll die of heart disease after defeating prostate cancer. Robert Downey Jr will never win an Oscar. It's liberating!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1421 on: November 13, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 61
This is neither here nor there, but doesn’t Taylor sound an awful lot like former patriots radio play-by-play commentator Gil Santos?

« Reply #1422 on: November 13, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

Online saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2557
Taylor testifies a staff member of his heard Trump talking to Sondland on the phone and Trump specifically asked if Ukraine was going forward with the investigations he wanted. This happened just last Friday and Taylor reported it right away.

I think the call happened many months ago, but Taylor only learned of it recently.

« Reply #1423 on: November 13, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

I think the call happened many months ago, but Taylor only learned of it recently.
Oh, must have missed that. Just heard story about last Friday then the story.

Still, this seems like evidence that Trump knew about and was definitely asking for the QPQ, which:

1.) Has been denied to the hilt
2.) Goes to show that a defense against witnesses of "you never spoke to Trump so you don't know if a QPQ was what the President wanted" won't really work. I think the Republican defense might try to shield Trump and possibly set up a scapegoat like Mulvaney, Guiliani or Pence but if someone heard Trump saying a QPQ was necessary for either a meeting or defense aid, that defense goes out the window.

This should open up new questioning for Sondland and if he confirms that phone call, that line of defense goes out the window

« Reply #1424 on: November 13, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2285
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, here's the excerpt:

Basically we have extensive evidence of foreign policy being subverted, including through non-gov't officials like Giuliani, to extort support for Trump's pro-Russia 2016 conspiracy nonsense and investigations of a likely 2020 opponent. The significance of the call is it shows Trump's direct personal knowledge and involvement. This adds a bit more to that.