Author Topic: On what issues do you disagree with your political party of choice?  (Read 1446 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
After a discussion of how important / non-important policy is in a different thread, I'm curious to what extent people are in agreement with the platform of their preferred political party.

As a Republican, the issues where I break from my party include:

* Homosexuality.  I'm honestly not sure where the mainstream of the party is on homosexuality these days.  I have no issue with gays, and think discrimination based upon orientation should be illegal except in cases where there is a legitimate religious objection (i.e., I think it's fine for a Catholic school to fire a gay teacher, but not for a public school to fire the same teacher.)  Historically I was in favor of civil unions over "marriage", but only because I worried that churches would be forced to marry homosexuals over religious objection.

* The environment.  I take a middle ground.  Climate change is in large part due to humans, and we need to address it.  I worry, however, that funding is primarily driven through scare tactics, and that many proposed solutions do nothing to limit pollution from major foreign actors.  While Democrats have in my mind agreed to weak treaties that do very little, Republicans have offered almost nothing.

* Gun control.  I'm not a gun absolutist.  While traditionally believing in half-measures like limiting magazine capacity, etc., I have recently evolved to being okay with banning open-carry, and allowing guns only only in one's home / on one's property, along with some limited exceptions for hunting, gun ranges, etc.

* Immigration.  I'm largely on board with GOP immigration policies, but I would like to dramatically increase the number of legal immigrants we let in, provided they are working and adding value to the United States.  I would cut down on granting asylum to groups that have no interest in working and integrating into America, and would positively support those who add important skills (whether those be medical degrees or the willingness to work farming jobs.)  I am also in support of amnesty, although I may only allow permanent residency (rather than citizenship) for those granted amnesty.

* Foreign policy.  I'm becoming more and more isolationist as I get older.  I'm very skeptical of foreign wars, and I would severely limit foreign aid to nations that are not strong allies.

* Taxes.  I understand the theory behind trickle down tax cuts, but I am much more on board with tax cuts for the working poor.  I would exempt the first $20,800 of income from payroll taxes (equal to $10 per hour for 40 hours per week), the first $40,000 from income taxes, and would remove all caps on payroll taxes for high income earners.

* Fiscal sanity.  Screw you, Trump and the GOP representatives voting for these budget resolutions.

So, on a lot of key GOP issues, I'm pretty moderate.  But, I don't feel there's any room for me in the Democrat party, particularly as they become more and more radicalized.  On issues like The Forbidden Topic, Affirmative Action, unions, public assistance, etc., I feel like there are sharp litmus tests that I can't get behind, and I feel like the mainstream politicians of the party are hostile to religion and are overly critical of America.

So, that's my political profile.  Yours?
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Re: On what issues do you disagree with your political party of choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 359
I feel the independents need to be more independent and the green party needs to be more green.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 9133
TP for the topic Roy.  I don't have a party of preference but I'll throw something together later.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Thanks Roy.  I just wrote a long and cathartic answer to your post.  Now I feel better.  I deleted it.  I realize no one really wants my opinion, they just want me to agree with their opinion.  (P.S.  I  do agree with much of yours.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Thanks Roy.  I just wrote a long and cathartic answer to your post.  Now I feel better.  I deleted it.  I realize no one really wants my opinion, they just want me to agree with their opinion.  (P.S.  I  do agree with much of yours.)

Good to see you around, tboots. Itís been awhile.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Great thread Roy.  It's topics like this that really help to show that political parties, and the people in them, aren't completely binary (1 or 0) on everything.

As a registered Democrat, I disagree with several key topics:

1)  Welfare - I think there need to be more built in incentives to get people off of Welfare.  There also need to be limits on how long a family can be on it, etc.  My GF is a high school teacher and has numerous kids each year whose entire life plan is to graduate and go on welfare like their parents.  It shouldn't be permanent for someone.

2)  Immigration - I'm actually okay with having tighter reigns on immigration and turning away people who are illegally coming here.  However, I believe the path to citizenship shouldn't be as long as it is b/c of the government lack of funding and broken process.  My sister in law is from Canada and is still in process 8-years later.  Walls don't work either, they are just a gimmick.  Unlike other democrats I don't believe in full open borders, and I think the best way to impact illegal immigration is to penalize companies who hire them. 

3) Fiscal spending - This might be a disagreement from Democrats & Republicans lol, but I think a reduction in spending needs to happen across multiple fronts.  In particular, DOD, foreign spending etc.  However, unlike republicans I think the Education & Science spending should be increased, but overall government spending should be cut down.  I worked for the federal government in DC years ago and the amount of duplicate waste is absurd.  There's no measurable outcome of success for most agencies.

4) ID's/licenses for guns.  On this topic I'm more in the middle, but if something is a constitutional right (voting, right to bear arms, free speech, etc.) then in my opinion there cannot be a required license that someone would have to get.  A background check is okay as long as it's just ruling out people with prior violent crimes or clinically very unstable, but it can't be anything subjective (i.e. no fly list).  Driving a car can require a test & license b/c it's not a constitutional right.  I am also sensitive to banning certain weapons.  But, I do like having more liability for people who own a gun.  If someone owns 100+ guns and they lose track of some, then I think they should have liability if a lost gun is used to commit a crime.  I also like the idea of a mandatory safety training before owning a gun, but the training needs to be 100% accessible & free. 

5) Safe spaces, etc. on college campuses.  There are many things that students should get out of going to college, one of which is being exposed to culture & ideas that they haven't been before, even if it makes them uncomfortable.  There isn't anything like a safe space outside of college where you can't get offended, so there shouldn't be one on campuses.   

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind.  Thanks again Roy.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1862
  • bammokja
i think the american communist party still follows too closely the classic marxist ideal concerning conscious arising from material conditions. though they still make good points concerning mystification, ideology, and fetishism. but the argument for false consciousness is clearly outdated and based upon 19th century thinking.

they need to move beyond such thinking and seriously weave in the unifying idea of Antonio Gramsci's famous Prison Notebooks and the concept of hegemony, not as monolithic, but as structured unintentionality. this would be a far better position from which to formulate public policy once they are voted into office.

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1599
Though I donít register with a party I am much more aligned with Democrats than Republicans.  I wonít get too detailed, but I disagree with the progressive wing of the party in the following ways:

Healthcare: I like universal care WITH private option.

College tuition:  support for poor and subsidies for middle class, but not universal free education.

Affirmative Action: efforts to ensure fairer opportunities should continue as there is a significant opportunity disparity particularly pertaining to poor/underprivileged.  But what Iíve seen of AA doesnít appear to have solved the issue and does tend to reinforce racial divide.

Reparations:  I do believe African Americans are still experiencing the impact of slavery and 100 years of subsequent legal discrimination.  Native Americans as well.  Reparations does not seem to be the answer as the systemic and institutional issues are not resolved in this way. 

Spending:  spending should not be driven by ideology but rather by need, pragmatics, and intelligence.  Most Americans value a balance of  capitalism with assurance that the poor and less able among us are effectively supported and empowered.  It is not always the right thing to throw money at the issue.  Finding the right balance, the most effective strategies that yield best outcomes, and taking into account relevant current conditions supersede spending ideology.

Immigration: see Durbin-Graham ó I think they have it right.

Forbidden topic:  place primary focus on preventing unintended or unwanted pregnancy.  And place high priority on supporting women who do get pregnant under unfavorable circumstances. 

Unions: the only union situation Iíve been involved with personally Iíve been pretty much against. That is teachers union.  Iíd encourage merit pay, higher pay for critical shortage positions, and more power for administrators to fire mediocre educators.  In a field where the product is childrenís social, emotional and academic well being, there should not be any inherent incentive to place adults ahead of children ó which sometimes occurs in the job protection of under-skilled, under-invested, or unprofessional  adults.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:25:03 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 317
i think the american communist party still follows too closely the classic marxist ideal concerning conscious arising from material conditions. though they still make good points concerning mystification, ideology, and fetishism. but the argument for false consciousness is clearly outdated and based upon 19th century thinking.

they need to move beyond such thinking and seriously weave in the unifying idea of Antonio Gramsci's famous Prison Notebooks and the concept of hegemony, not as monolithic, but as structured unintentionality. this would be a far better position from which to formulate public policy once they are voted into office.

;D

Splitter!

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »

Online Silas

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 17
After a discussion of how important / non-important policy is in a different thread, I'm curious to what extent people are in agreement with the platform of their preferred political party.

As a Republican, the issues where I break from my party include:

* Homosexuality.  I'm honestly not sure where the mainstream of the party is on homosexuality these days.  I have no issue with gays, and think discrimination based upon orientation should be illegal except in cases where there is a legitimate religious objection (i.e., I think it's fine for a Catholic school to fire a gay teacher, but not for a public school to fire the same teacher.)  Historically I was in favor of civil unions over "marriage", but only because I worried that churches would be forced to marry homosexuals over religious objection.

* The environment.  I take a middle ground.  Climate change is in large part due to humans, and we need to address it.  I worry, however, that funding is primarily driven through scare tactics, and that many proposed solutions do nothing to limit pollution from major foreign actors.  While Democrats have in my mind agreed to weak treaties that do very little, Republicans have offered almost nothing.

* Gun control.  I'm not a gun absolutist.  While traditionally believing in half-measures like limiting magazine capacity, etc., I have recently evolved to being okay with banning open-carry, and allowing guns only only in one's home / on one's property, along with some limited exceptions for hunting, gun ranges, etc.

* Immigration.  I'm largely on board with GOP immigration policies, but I would like to dramatically increase the number of legal immigrants we let in, provided they are working and adding value to the United States.  I would cut down on granting asylum to groups that have no interest in working and integrating into America, and would positively support those who add important skills (whether those be medical degrees or the willingness to work farming jobs.)  I am also in support of amnesty, although I may only allow permanent residency (rather than citizenship) for those granted amnesty.

* Foreign policy.  I'm becoming more and more isolationist as I get older.  I'm very skeptical of foreign wars, and I would severely limit foreign aid to nations that are not strong allies.

* Taxes.  I understand the theory behind trickle down tax cuts, but I am much more on board with tax cuts for the working poor.  I would exempt the first $20,800 of income from payroll taxes (equal to $10 per hour for 40 hours per week), the first $40,000 from income taxes, and would remove all caps on payroll taxes for high income earners.

* Fiscal sanity.  Screw you, Trump and the GOP representatives voting for these budget resolutions.

So, on a lot of key GOP issues, I'm pretty moderate.  But, I don't feel there's any room for me in the Democrat party, particularly as they become more and more radicalized.  On issues like The Forbidden Topic, Affirmative Action, unions, public assistance, etc., I feel like there are sharp litmus tests that I can't get behind, and I feel like the mainstream politicians of the party are hostile to religion and are overly critical of America.

So, that's my political profile.  Yours?

Why do you refer to the Democratic Party as the Democrat Party?
Never miss the luxury of an unexpressed thought...

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1113
  • Feed me pills and happy meals
Kind-of odd that it comes down the forbidden topic for the OP when it comes to political party. All of your other opinions are quite progressive (impressively so). Unions are dead and everybody thinks people should work so that is really the only differentiation.

Voting for Trump so he can stack the Supreme Court with judges who will overturn RvW is lame...especially when you are a man who should really have no input on the issue.

I believe in fiscal responsibility and am disgusted by what Trump has done. As a gay man, I am terrified of adding more conservatives to the court. States are now attempting (and succeeding) at passing laws where they can refuse service to gay people based on religion. This is a real slippery slope. All religions are fables to me - donít get me wrong, people can believe what they want to believe - but laws certainly shouldnít be made based on these fables.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:34:50 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kind-of odd that it comes down the forbidden topic for the OP when it comes to political party. All of your other opinions are quite progressive (impressively so). Unions are dead and everybody thinks people should work so that is really the only differentiation.

Voting for Trump so he can stack the Supreme Court with judges who will overturn RvW is lame...especially when you are a man who should really have no input on the issue.

I believe in fiscal responsibility and am disgusted by what Trumps has done. As a gay man, I am terrified of adding more conservatives to the court. States are now attempting (and succeeding) at passing laws where they can refuse service to gay people based on religion. This is a real slippery slope. All religions are fables to me - donít get me wrong, people can believe what they want to believe - but laws certainly shouldnít be made based on these fables.

Iím not particularly religious, but religious protection and freedom from religious persecution are core issues under our Constitution. I think religious rights need to be balanced. Iíve never understood why certain religions treat being gay as a greater sin than just about any other. It bugs me, that adulterers, divorcees and domestic abusers are almost given a free pass as being ďproperĒ Christians. But, I also donít doubt that many (like the Colorado baker) have sincerely held religious beliefs. So, again, itís a balance, and Iím glad Iím not the one who has to decide. I own a business, and I personally think limiting your client base is stupid.

I do disagree that there are any issues that I shouldnít have an opinion on due to my gender.  All adult members of society get to make decisions regarding what type of society they want to be, what values that society will have, etc.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 9133
good to see you still poking around TB.  you've been missed.  maybe we can get a PAP back up and running this season

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 488
Great topic TP.

Disagree with almost everything coming from the entire right-wing of the Democratic Party.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 02:40:02 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1113
  • Feed me pills and happy meals
I had a few drinks earlier in the evening (on vacation) and probably could have softened my response a little bit. I respect your views and youíve articulated yourself well. It just seems a shame that one issue can be the difference between voting D and R.i do generally agree with most everything in your OP and would never consider voting R.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required