Author Topic: Israel bars Democratic congresswomen from entering country after Trump comment.  (Read 2510 times)

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 689
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/politics/israel-visit-ilhan-omar-rashida-tlaib-intl/index.html

srael decided to ban Reps. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar from entering the country, a spokesman for deputy foreign minister Tzipi Hotovely told CNN on Thursday. The announcement came shortly after Trump said Israel would be showing "great weakness" by allowing them to enter the country.

I'm almost at a loss for words at this point.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline W8ting2McHale

• Terry Rozier
  • Tommy Points: 19
Trump has been a petty bully his whole life. He’s still taking shots at the NFL 30+ years after they told him “No thanks.” I won’t address whether what he does is “Presidential” or not, but no way does Mr. Trumplethinskin let an opportunity to take a shot at an opponent pass him by.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
If I were Israel, I’d decline to let them in. They’re seemingly supportive of terrorist organizations aimed at annihilating Israel.

I mean, does anybody disagree here?

"The plan of the two Congresswomen is only to damage Israel and to foment against Israel," Netanyahu said in a statement following the decision.

But, it’s Israel’s independent judgment to make. It certainly doesn’t show weakness.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 689
I'd argue that by taking this action in response to a tweet by Trump, THIS makes them look more "weak" than anything else.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline apc

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 353
The correct choice by Israelis.
The congresswoman where not going to IL to promote piece or have a discussion.

Offline celts10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
With the way things are going, I won't be surprised when they label anyone who disagrees with AIPAC or taxpayer-funded foreign aid as being an "anti-Semite."

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
With the way things are going, they'll probably label all Americans who are critical of AIPAC and against taxpayer-funded foreign aid as being an anti-Semite.

Doubtful.  But, if you publicly bash Israel, support the BDS movement, and list your location as "Palestine" rather than Israel, I expect that your entry would probably be denied.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 2973

True or not, they are still US Congresswomen. Banning members of Congress from your country should be considered a big deal.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2217
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Israel can do what they want but the President, members of Congress and our ambassador to Israel supporting and encouraging a foreign government barring US representatives is appalling and speaks yet again to how hollow and, let's be PC and say "selective", the "America First" crap is.

Offline apc

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 353

True or not, they are still US Congresswomen. Banning members of Congress from your country should be considered a big deal.
Congresswoman who calls for a ban on them- why should they be let in? 

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 382
The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (also known as BDS) is a Palestinian-led[1][2][3] campaign promoting various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets what the campaign describes as Israel's obligations under international law,[4] defined as withdrawal from the occupied territories, removal of the separation barrier in the West Bank, full equality for Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel, and "respecting, protecting, and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties".[4] The campaign is organized and coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee.[5]

Protests and conferences in support of the campaign have been held in a number of countries. BDS supporters compare the movement to the 20th-century anti-apartheid movement and view their actions similar to the boycotts of South Africa during its apartheid era, comparing the situation in Israel to apartheid.[6][7][8]

Critics of BDS reject its charge that Israel is an apartheid state, asserting that in Israel (outside of the West Bank) "Jews and Arabs mix freely and increasingly live in the same neighborhoods...there is no imposed segregation."[9] Critics have also argued that the BDS movement is antisemitic[10][11] in the form its opposition to Zionism takes,[12][13] drawing analogies to the Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses[14][15][16] and accusing it of promoting the delegitimization of Israel.[17][18]

This is a tough one and of course Trump is jumping at the opportunity to use it as a wedge.  I don't think it is anti-semitic to be opposed to Israeli policies against Palestine.  I have a lot of questions about them myself.  I don't agree with the boycott either.

It is interesting that Trump more or less supported the protesters in Charlotsville who where marching with Robes, Hoods, and torches chanting "Jews will not replace us" but is all worked up about these two Reps who have strong views about a political situation between two peoples that have been fighting for years.

Israel is free to do what they want.  I don't agree but I am sure they don't care.  I am offended by Trump encouraging it though.  So out of place for the American president.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:19:22 PM by Vermont Green »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1626

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 382
https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/1162039732714520577

Only a few days ago, we received their itinerary for their visit in Israel, which revealed that they planned a visit whose sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel’s legitimacy.

In one of the Twitter replies, someone posted this itinerary  I did not see anything in the itinerary that even remotely appeared to "deny Israel's legitimacy".

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:10:07 PM by Vermont Green »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1598

Congresswoman who calls for a ban on them- why should they be let in?

I'm pretty sure that I have only minimal understanding of the complexities of this issue and my opinion on this matter should be pretty much disregarded.  My guess is that few of us reading this blog are well-informed enough to provide opinions that are particularly valid.   I'd certainly defer to the wisdom of a Prime Minister over my own instincts.  That said, I hope Netanyahu does not have an underlying outcome here of supporting the political efforts of DJT. 

My initial thought would be -- why wouldn't you want to sit down and talk with US Congresspersons who have different views about the region?  Maybe you could enlighten them; maybe you could convince them to consider a different point of view.  Isn't hearing and expressing different points of view the way people are supposed to solve issues?  Or is shutting people out the best way to resolve conflict?   Again, I am certain he knows far better than me what is best for his country -- but I would like to know his motives.  They've said things that are anti-Israel and therefore they can't come in seems a little simplistic to me.   

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My initial thought would be -- why wouldn't you want to sit down and talk with US Congresspersons who have different views about the region?

Tlaib and Omar didn’t want to meet with representatives for either the government or the opposition, which is apparently unprecedented.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required