Author Topic: Scaramucci Breaks from Trump: First Domino?  (Read 4649 times)

Re: Scaramucci Breaks from Trump: First Domino?
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1352
Well, if it appears that Warren will win, I wonder how many of the ultra rich will leave the country prior to the election? She wants to put a 40% exit tax on the ultra wealthy as well if they want to leave to avoid paying her tax. This sounds a bit unconstitutional in my opinion. You are going to threaten someone who wants to leave the country to live elsewhere with a 40% flat tax on their wealth that was earned prior to her new ultra rich tax law? Wow...I am not one of the ultra rich but this does not sit well with me on many levels. 40% seems a bit extreme for someone who chooses not to be a citizen any longer.

The gov already has the power to apply tariffs and restrictions on the movement of wealth across the border and the ability to regulate all manner of transactions that cross state borders (which by definition includes the international border).  While U.S. citizens currently are allowed to move $$ casually across borders via bank-to-bank transactions without much care by the U.S. government that's not necessarily a given.  That's not at all the case for most other nations.  Many apply exchange controls and fees for money that moves across borders.  I expect that the Fed reserves similar powers.

Whether it is a good idea or ever would pass the Senate is very much debatable (I'm dubious it would), but I don't think it would really fail a constitutionality test.

Thereís a Constitutionally-protected right to travel, both within and outside of the US. There are limits on this, but I doubt this tax would pass muster.

he right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.

Yeah, the court has definitely taken a conservative turn.  I suspect progressives are going to be upset about a lot of rulings over the next decade.

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 689
Well, if it appears that Warren will win, I wonder how many of the ultra rich will leave the country prior to the election? She wants to put a 40% exit tax on the ultra wealthy as well if they want to leave to avoid paying her tax. This sounds a bit unconstitutional in my opinion. You are going to threaten someone who wants to leave the country to live elsewhere with a 40% flat tax on their wealth that was earned prior to her new ultra rich tax law? Wow...I am not one of the ultra rich but this does not sit well with me on many levels. 40% seems a bit extreme for someone who chooses not to be a citizen any longer.

The gov already has the power to apply tariffs and restrictions on the movement of wealth across the border and the ability to regulate all manner of transactions that cross state borders (which by definition includes the international border).  While U.S. citizens currently are allowed to move $$ casually across borders via bank-to-bank transactions without much care by the U.S. government that's not necessarily a given.  That's not at all the case for most other nations.  Many apply exchange controls and fees for money that moves across borders.  I expect that the Fed reserves similar powers.

Whether it is a good idea or ever would pass the Senate is very much debatable (I'm dubious it would), but I don't think it would really fail a constitutionality test.

Thereís a Constitutionally-protected right to travel, both within and outside of the US. There are limits on this, but I doubt this tax would pass muster.

he right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.

Right to travel across a border doesn't mean you get to take whatever you want across the border.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1598
Mark Sanford declares.  Not earth-shattering news and a deeply flawed candidate. But heís from South Carolina so an early primary state with someone who has won there (and been scandalized there) presents at least something to pay attention to I guess.

Still hoping a republican who could really make noise will step up. I have Kasich and Sasse on my hope list.  Iíve given up on Mitt or Nikki running. 

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Mark Sanford declares.  Not earth-shattering news and a deeply flawed candidate. But heís from South Carolina so an early primary state with someone who has won there (and been scandalized there) presents at least something to pay attention to I guess.

I believe that South Carolina is in the process of canceling its GOP Presidential primary.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6188

I believe that South Carolina is in the process of canceling its GOP Presidential primary.
Yeah, there has been a call nationwide for states to cancel their Republican primaries in a show of support for Trump. I think that kind of sucks but I also think it's fairly common with popular incumbents, or is it?

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1598

Yeah, there has been a call nationwide for states to cancel their Republican primaries in a show of support for Trump. I think that kind of sucks but I also think it's fairly common with popular incumbents, or is it?

I didn't realize SC had already voted on this, which apparently they did on Saturday.  I can't recall this move to cancel primaries for the incumbent.  But I'm interested to know the history in that regard.  In a race where 3 candidates have already declared to oppose the incumbent it seems like a party working hard to limit democracy.   If the national GOP succeeds in handing the nomination to Trump by denying the people the chance to vote, really seems that this should be  big deal.  But I don't see the outrage.

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I didn't realize SC had already voted on this, which apparently they did on Saturday.  I can't recall this move to cancel primaries for the incumbent.  But I'm interested to know the history in that regard.  In a race where 3 candidates have already declared to oppose the incumbent it seems like a party working hard to limit democracy.   If the national GOP succeeds in handing the nomination to Trump by denying the people the chance to vote, really seems that this should be  big deal.  But I don't see the outrage.

Itís been done in some states before, by both Dems and the GOP. I donít like it, but itís the parties that set the rules, and nobody seems much to mind.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 602

Itís been done in some states before, by both Dems and the GOP. I donít like it, but itís the parties that set the rules, and nobody seems much to mind.

I don't like it either, but those things are completely up to the party.  I guess knowing that SC is closing down their primary, what is the point of Sanford getting into the race.  The only place he could really gain traction would be SC right?  If that primary is shut down, how is he going to do any damage to Trump?

Not that I want him to stop, please Sanford stay in the race as long as possible to do the dems job for them.  lol

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required