Author Topic: Scaramucci Breaks from Trump: First Domino?  (Read 4646 times)

Scaramucci Breaks from Trump: First Domino?
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1598
Anthony Scaramucci, the 10-day WH Communications Director and now former vocal Trump supporter has joined the small number of visible republicans who have essentially renounced DJT.   Scaramucci, with a mercurial at best history as a political surrogate, Trump supporter and White House employee for a record-low number of days, has labeled Trump as nonsensical, unamerican, a divisive/racist tweeter and believes someone else needs to be at the top of the republican ticket (though he hasn't named names). Scaramucci states his belief that Trump is currently taking a turn for the worse, is deteriorating, and warns the danger of granting 4 additional years to this POTUS.   

Response from the liberal side of the media has been to saturate the airwaves and web-sites with "Mooch" with the only pushback being disagreement with Scaramucci's claim that Trump is deteriorating, stating conversely that Trump is the same as he's always been - same divisive rhetoric, name narcissism, same lying, same impulsive, uninformed decision-making.

I acknowledge that Anthony Scaramucci is not the voice of the Republican party.... he appears to be a publicity seeker who craves his moments in the limelight.   That said, I continue look for signs of cracks in Trump's armor, symbols of a loosening stronghold on republicans.  If republicans begin shift from Trump, perhaps this starts to open a door for someone like Kasich or Romney or Huntsman or Haley to think that maybe they can, and should, challenge the president -- which I think could serve to put a wrench in Trump's bid for re-election.   

It's probably not the domino I am hoping for, but if the next few days does bring with it a few republican "flips", perhaps things get rolling in what I feel is the right direction. I am fearful that the dems are (will be) unable to band together on a "beat Trump" theme and will foolishly wind up nominating a fatally flawed candidate like Liz Warren who will not be able pull the 5% in the middle to the dem side in the general election.

Thoughts?

https://www.newsweek.com/scaramucci-president-trump-disassembling-nonsensical-1453766

Re: Scaramucci Breaks from Trump: First Domino?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:28:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I think you nailed it here:

he appears to be a publicity seeker who craves his moments in the limelight.

Nobody is going to follow Scaramucci in my mind. He’s a weasel.

The more interesting “crack” to watch for me is how many GOP members of Congress decide not to seek re-election. That will show how toxic members of the government see him.

I’d gladly vote for Romney or Haley, but I think Trump will run essentially unopposed outside of Weld.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13

The more interesting “crack” to watch for me is how many GOP members of Congress decide not to seek re-election. That will show how toxic members of the government see him.

I’d gladly vote for Romney or Haley, but I think Trump will run essentially unopposed outside of Weld.

Agreed.  The Mooch is easily disregarded by Trump as an "attention seeker."

Him finding a conscience means very little when it comes to Trump's support within the party.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:46:52 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell

Presumably a decision not to run for re-election would leave a congressperson much more free to break from Trump where either policy is concerned or overt support for his presidency is concerned.  I guess that’s a waiting game.  The sooner they choose not to run the better.  A tipping point could occur that noticeably shifts his political power.  I guess those  dominos wouldn’t start falling till spring.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:00:08 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell

Agreed.  The Mooch is easily disregarded by Trump as an "attention seeker."

Him finding a conscience means very little when it comes to Trump's support within the party.

Oh I agree that Mooch’s influence on the party is less than negligible.  On the other hand, it’s not impossible that others who may have been on the verge of a similar declaration decide to come out - timing matters.  If this happens soon it could create the sense of a shift and could start to loosen the edges.  Once that happens it’s possible that the proverbial flood gates start to show signs of leakage.  A shift within the party in the belief that Trump is vulnerable - a shift that isn’t in play yet - could pull a viable candidate into the race if the shift occurs soon.  With a viable candidate in play the floodgates might open.  I like Weld but he’s not the guy who is going to shake Trump’s foundation. 

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1170
He is a nobody and this might help Trump because as said above he is a weasel.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 9133

if you're watching for anyone in Congress to not seek re-election, for any reason other than health, you're going to be waiting until the end of time.  That's irregardless of political party.

no one willingly walks away from that gravy train.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1113
  • Feed me pills and happy meals

if you're watching for anyone in Congress to not seek re-election, for any reason other than health, you're going to be waiting until the end of time.  That's irregardless of political party.

Yeah, I don't understand that logic. Worst case scenario is they endure another 4 years of Trump and then it only gets better from there. I suppose there are some members who may be guaranteed to lose in the next election(?) so I suppose they could come out in protest. But that is exactly what I would expect them to do - protest - not just quietly remove themselves from the next election.

Oh, how I wish a Kasich, Huntsman, Romney, or Haley would take on Trump, but I don't think R voters are going to rock the boat on who they feel is an unbeatable candidate. So many voters already voted for Trump simply because of the open position on the SC - and they even got a bonus 2nd one. I don't see any reason why they don't do it again as they wait for RBG's demise.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 225

Mooch is a weasel, but I’m going to view it as a positive sign that a conservative weasel thinks bailing on Trump is the prudent thing to do at this point.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6188
The Republicans are not breaking from Trump, irregardless of what that scumbag Scaramucci is saying. It's pretty evident Trump obstructed justice 10 times at least, while in office, has shown a penchant for white nationalists and supremists, loves his authoritarian dictators, paid women off to suppress affairs he has had, admits he would take help from foreign countries against his Democratic opponent without reporting it to the FBI, uses racist rhetoric against people of color serving these United States as people in Congress, and is constantly joking about serving 3 or more terms. And Republicans are in lock step behind him.

It would take video of Trump killing someone or him outwardly saying he "Hates wet****s and n*****s" for Republicans to turn on Trump, at this point. It's sad, but I think a disgusting immoral, racist minority of the great Republican Party is running it right now and the good people of that party don't have the gumption to take it back.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2709
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
..or him outwardly saying he "Hates (racial slurs)" for Republicans to turn on Trump, at this point. It's sad, but I think a disgusting immoral, racist minority of the great Republican Party is running it right now and the good people of that party don't have the gumption to take it back.

Yeah I don't think there is a single chance that if Trump did that the 'voting for Trump cuz Liberals made us by nominating Hillary' voters or the 'We just want the Supreme Court seats, we don't approve of Trump at all besides voting for him and doing nothing else to oppose him' voters would give a fat crap about Trump getting caught on video saying he hates minorities or using racial slurs. People already assume that about him.

Donald Trump retweeted a conspiracy theory accusing a former president of murder. People who continue to vote for Trump do not care about social norms anymore. What they want to get out of Trump is varying but what is uniting is that they're willing to look past his faults to do it, and they can't be shamed into changing their minds.

I'm starting to look at Trumpism as kind of a fever that has to run its course. Hopefully it's only 4 years, but if we don't take the whole cycle of antibiotics it could come back.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There were a ton of retirements in 2018, and we’ve already seen 11 in advance of 2020:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/troubling-signs-for-house-gop-as-retirements-mount-ahead-of-next-years-elections

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 9133
..or him outwardly saying he "Hates (racial slurs)" for Republicans to turn on Trump, at this point. It's sad, but I think a disgusting immoral, racist minority of the great Republican Party is running it right now and the good people of that party don't have the gumption to take it back.

Yeah I don't think there is a single chance that if Trump did that the 'voting for Trump cuz Liberals made us by nominating Hillary' voters or the 'We just want the Supreme Court seats, we don't approve of Trump at all besides voting for him and doing nothing else to oppose him' voters would give a fat crap about Trump getting caught on video saying he hates minorities or using racial slurs. People already assume that about him.

Donald Trump retweeted a conspiracy theory accusing a former president of murder. People who continue to vote for Trump do not care about social norms anymore. What they want to get out of Trump is varying but what is uniting is that they're willing to look past his faults to do it, and they can't be shamed into changing their minds.

I'm starting to look at Trumpism as kind of a fever that has to run its course. Hopefully it's only 4 years, but if we don't take the whole cycle of antibiotics it could come back.
and there you have it put in a nice succinct statement with a bow on it.

only things that will get rid of Trump are a tanking economy or enough of those voters that claimed to vote Trump because they were anti-Hillary swing back to vote against Trump because Hillary's not running.  it's that second group that are critical because, according to those voters, they were supposedly picking the lesser of 2 evils.  There's no Dem running this year that's even close to being the scumbag Trump is so that argument's not an excuse this time around.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:07:30 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6188

I disagree. I think there are quite a lot of people who are Republican that can go along with dog whistle racial comments but would draw a line on video and audio proof of Trump saying he hates two groups of people using the worst racial epitets. At that point, powerful guys like Senators Kennedy and McConnell or Congressman McCarthy would have to draw the line in order to get re-elected. And with the power in the Senate and House denouncing him, the turn would happen.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I disagree. I think there are quite a lot of people who are Republican that can go along with dog whistle racial comments but would draw a line on video and audio proof of Trump saying he hates two groups of people using the worst racial epitets. At that point, powerful guys like Senators Kennedy and McConnell or Congressman McCarthy would have to draw the line in order to get re-elected. And with the power in the Senate and House denouncing him, the turn would happen.

Best case scenario there would be resignation or bi-partisan impeachment, so that the GOP could get a qualified candidate.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required