Poll

Who's gonna win the 2019 FIBA World Cup?

USA
13 (76.5%)
Serbia
1 (5.9%)
Spain
0 (0%)
Greece
2 (11.8%)
France
0 (0%)
other (please name below)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: 2019 FIBA World Cup  (Read 1427 times)

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 76
  • KANSEI DORIFUTO
I wish I could see Hong Kong compete in FIBA or the Olympics while I'm alive. Rooting for Yi Jianlian to keep China respectable, also helps that he's from Guangdong.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 656
I'm going with Greece. Giannis is going to be on a mission

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 163
I havenít been this excited since Rondo tried out in 2010

Good news this time around is that Tatum and Kemba seem like locks

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 525
I think either way this goes, this is going to be huge for Jaylen Brown. If he gets cut, I hope it makes him hungry for this season. If he doesn't, I hope playing on this level will challenge him to grow.
Most talent in the league. We don't want or need AD.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6116
I think either way this goes, this is going to be huge for Jaylen Brown. If he gets cut, I hope it makes him hungry for this season. If he doesn't, I hope playing on this level will challenge him to grow.
I think playing in the ECSFs and ECFs is playing on a much higher level than this tournament and Tatum and Brown have already proven they can play pretty excellent ball at that level. Not sure playing in this tourney will challenge either to grow any more than they were already challenged in the NBA playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
The 2019 Australian Boomers team for the FIBA World Cup:

Aron Baynes - Phoenix Suns
Andrew Bogut - Sydney Kings
Jonah Bolden - Philadelphia 76ers
Xavier Cooks - SIG Strasbourg
Matthew Dellavedova - Cleveland Cavaliers
Cam Gliddon - Brisbane Bullets
Chris Goulding - Melbourne United
Joe Ingles - Utah Jazz
Nick Kay - Perth Wildcats
Jock Landale - éalgiris Kaunas
Patty Mills - San Antonio Spurs
Nathan Sobey - Brisbane Bullets

Somehow NBA experienced players Mitch Creek and Deng Adel missed the cut while a few mediocre Australian NBL based players got in  ??? >:(

We have a crap coach and a pretty average team with no Simmons, Maker, Exum and Broekhoff.

With RJ Barrett and Jamal Murray not playing for Canada we may have a slightly better chance of getting out of the group stage but wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't.
Go Land Crabs

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 03:20:19 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Marcus Morris
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think it's crazy to think that (hypothetically) either this Olympics or the next World Championships we could see Greece take the court with FOUR ANTETOKOUNMPO'S...and some other boring greek guy lol.

Imagine the poor commentators haha

If this does come to fruition I'd kind of be p---ed off that the eldest brother didn't become a good enough basketball player to field a complete set of Antetokounmpo's.

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 04:37:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 210
I think it's crazy to think that (hypothetically) either this Olympics or the next World Championships we could see Greece take the court with FOUR ANTETOKOUNMPO'S...and some other boring greek guy lol.

Imagine the poor commentators haha

If this does come to fruition I'd kind of be p---ed off that the eldest brother didn't become a good enough basketball player to field a complete set of Antetokounmpo's.
I suppose it depends on how Kostas and Alexis pan out. The youngest of the bunch is supposedly pretty good/talented. Regardless, with their length and athleticism, they should give teams fits defensively.

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 257
Giannis has said multiple times that Alex the youngest one is the most talented. We ll see...... Talent is not enough to make it

I'm going with Greece. Giannis is going to be on a mission

To win it all ??? I wish but can't see that happening.

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 76
  • KANSEI DORIFUTO
America should ROFLstomp their competition if they keep all 4 Celtics on the roster.

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

Online JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 484
Is it just me or do Americans not care a hoot about FIBA World Cup? If USA basketball cared about any competition outside the NBA, other than the Olympics, they would send their best to win it and they would win every tournament.

But USA basketball doesn't care about much other than the Olympics when it comes to national tournaments and I think the fandom has very similar feelings. I just don't think the average American NBA fan gives a dang about the very contrively named FIBA World Cup. It's a knockoff version of the FIFA World Cup and I just don't think the prestige crosses over. In basketball, true prestige comes from being an NBA or Olympic champion, at least in the eyes of most American fans. The World Cup? Not so much.

I donít think itís this cut and dry.  I think there are several factors in play here.  One for the first time the World Cup and Olympics are playing in back to back years, where usually the USA players has a summer off in-between.  Second the World Cup is ending later, and the NBA season is starting earlier so not much time to transition to training camp.   Third the NBA is sending 6 teams to Asia in October and some players may not want to travel twice overseas in a short amount of time.  Lastly you have some USA vets like Lebron just getting older and may just want to save what he has left for his NBA team, some players like Davis transitioning to a new team (not a great excuse though look at Walker), and some are injured like Durant.

Saying all that though itís surprising not to see a few more big names.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 553
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The 2019 Australian Boomers team for the FIBA World Cup:

Aron Baynes - Phoenix Suns
Andrew Bogut - Sydney Kings
Jonah Bolden - Philadelphia 76ers
Xavier Cooks - SIG Strasbourg
Matthew Dellavedova - Cleveland Cavaliers
Cam Gliddon - Brisbane Bullets
Chris Goulding - Melbourne United
Joe Ingles - Utah Jazz
Nick Kay - Perth Wildcats
Jock Landale - éalgiris Kaunas
Patty Mills - San Antonio Spurs
Nathan Sobey - Brisbane Bullets

Somehow NBA experienced players Mitch Creek and Deng Adel missed the cut while a few mediocre Australian NBL based players got in  ??? >:(

We have a crap coach and a pretty average team with no Simmons, Maker, Exum and Broekhoff.

With RJ Barrett and Jamal Murray not playing for Canada we may have a slightly better chance of getting out of the group stage but wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't.

Some national teams give preference to players from domestic leagues regardless of levels of play. It happens quite a bit in soccer, especially on the women's side.
I guess itís a good thing
That most people around here seem to always be more in love with the future than the present.

Posted  by speeddemonnd  on Jun 18, 2019 | 9:06 PM

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 125
According to Marc Stein, ''Boston's Marcus Smart is out indefinitely for Team USA with calf tightness. Will be re-evaluated next week ...''

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1159196347674664961

And here's a video of Tatum, Brown, Fox and Adebayo playing 1-on-1 at team USA practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6A7LyTSBQ

Btw, Tatum's new knee tattoo looks awful (at least imo).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:05:07 PM by Jvalin »

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required