Author Topic: Ronald Reagan said some really racist stuff in 1971  (Read 2038 times)

Re: Ronald Reagan said some really racist stuff in 1971
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »

Offline Erik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 183
  • The voice of reason
The arguments made in this thread really highlight why Trump won a shockingly high % of black voters and will probably win more next time. The democratic platform (not voters, mods) has been hijacked into “we’re giving away free stuff paid for by rich people. Who says no? Racists!” “Stop enforcing the laws you racists.” These stupid debates are just knuckleheads one upping each other with more and more outrageous giveaways. Reminds me of that Oprah video. More and more people are waking up and realizing that they’re being taken for a ride.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 46
The arguments made in this thread really highlight why Trump won a shockingly high % of black voters and will probably win more next time. The democratic platform (not voters, mods) has been hijacked into “we’re giving away free stuff paid for by rich people. Who says no? Racists!” “Stop enforcing the laws you racists.” These stupid debates are just knuckleheads one upping each other with more and more outrageous giveaways. Reminds me of that Oprah video. More and more people are waking up and realizing that they’re being taken for a ride.

A recent poll put the President's approval rating among African Americans at 13%.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/454574-trump-approval-rating-drops-among-minorities-after-go-back

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27342
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Wait you mean to tell me the guy who pushed gun control once Black Panthers started open carrying, began his Presidential campaign by extolling "states' rights" in a town known only for murdering 3 civil rights workers, and exploited resentment of mythical "welfare queens" and "young bucks" had some racist ideas?  :o :o :o

I sure didnt need these tapes to know that Reagan was a racist in my opinion. There is so much evidence of this. He called asylum seekers from Africa  economic refugees, and not political refugees. 'Morning in America' was just another version of #MAGA.

Democrats drank the Reagan KoolAide and allow him to be 'canonized' while a much better man Jim Carter gets excoriated by the right till this day.

The “economic migrants” were related to Central America, and had more to do with fighting the Cold War than any racism.  It was a policy supported by Jimmy Carter (who must also have been a secret racist?) In fact, it was Carter who applied the policy to deny asylum to Haitians fleeing their country due to oppression.

Calling Africans “monkeys” is racist. Having limitations on those granted asylum isn’t.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

A recent poll put the President's approval rating among African Americans at 13%.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/454574-trump-approval-rating-drops-among-minorities-after-go-back

If Trump can get that 13% to vote for him, he will win re-election.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 267
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Our entire country is built and designed by racists so racist presidents are more of the norm than the exception.

Yes, even Abraham Lincoln who "freed the slaves" was a racist.

Most Racists also don't like to be called racists.

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6188

Yeah, a recent Quinnipiac poll which was conducted on the day before Trump's Baltimore and Cummings rants, the day of and the day after had Trump's approval at just 11% amongst African-Americans.

Also, didn't exit polling have Trump getting less than 10% of the African-American vote in 2016? Is less than 10% of the vote really considered a "shockingly high % of black voters"?

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 267
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Almost as if he’s a product of the norms and social conditioning of the time he grew up in in the US

So where does this line of reasoning stop, and what does it mean?

I had a grandma, who I loved very much, but she thought a black man couldn’t be president, and a woman couldn’t be president. She was a woman of nuanced belief with women but she believed that women couldn’t be president becUse they’re too temperamental.

My beloved grandma of many nuanced beliefs was a sexist and a racist.

Maybe she was a product of her time, but that’s what she was. Not everyone who grew up around her shared those adjectives, but many didnt. She was a racist. Similarly, Ronald Regan was a racist. 

Why do we need to qualify that for a man? Do we assume that changed?

My beloved grandfather had some racist beliefs that would come out rarely but clearly. He was a staunch Republican, but when he died we found some George Wallace '68 memorabilia, so the racial stuff was probably a core part of it.

I mess up on this sometimes, but this is part of why I generally don't like calling a person "a racist" - it's dehumanizing and treats racism as an on/off personality trait. Racism and bigotry in general is a multidimensional dial and everyone's got at least a little. And what you have is VERY responsive to the environments you mature in. Beliefs, emotional responses, behaviors, institutions, societies, they can all be racist. A person, as a definitive part of their identity - I get the sentiment, I get why it's rhetorically useful, I get that it can increase momentum toward change, I get that a lot of people with racial issues will agree with this stuff to paper over having to examine their own issues. Just not usually keen on it. Reminds me of calling people "illegal".

It's dehumanizing to the racists, but what about the victims of racism? Racists are always coddled because in this society they have power. You can afford to offend a popper, but not a king. This is why the consequence for someone calling out racism is harsher, than the consequence for someone being racist.

Just an example Riley Cooper vs Colin Kap

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1126

What does this have to do with Reagan's racism?

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 445
I come from a certain ethnic background. As a young man, I was subjected to hateful treatment because of where my parents and their parents before them hailed from. We're proud people, it was disturbing. It seems the parents of my then-girlfriend didn't want their daughter to be linked to "my kind." It was certainly hurtful. It was my harsh introduction to the realities of the human race for a then young man. I grew to understand, that humanity isn't without flaw. They suffer from jealousy, greed, and flaws of all types. My dad explained to me, that I have one single life to live, that I needed to grow a thicker skin and not make excuses to fail.

While racism and hate and jealousy are ugly taits. Even Bill Clinton while talking about Obama snickered, "he would be fetching coffee just a few years ago."

As long as humans are programmed to COMPETE against each other in life we will suffer from all types of "isms" like it or not. Pointing it out continually...over and over and over again will water the meaning down to meaningless.

In this coming political competition of 2020, the magic word is being mentioned again and again... in order to win the election.   

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2019, 10:49:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2709
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I'm a little lost. This thread is about how Ronald Reagen season some wildly racist stuff to President Nixon in 1971, how is what you're saying above related to that?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm a little lost. This thread is about how Ronald Reagen season some wildly racist stuff to President Nixon in 1971, how is what you're saying above related to that?

My interpretation: those saying they knew Reagan was racist based upon his policies mimic much of the mainstream Democrat candidates, who label others as “racist” simply because they disagree on policy. (See AOC calling Pelosi racist for example, or any of the other dozens of times something similar happens)..  It’s not racist to oppose “free stuff” and enforcement of our laws, yet people are criticizing Reagan for policies related to welfare, asylum, criminal justice,  etc.

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 382
I think people throw around the word Racist too much.  It may in fact be accurate a majority of the time but once the discussion is about whether this person is racist or not, you tend to lose the focus on the policy or the statement itself.  I found Reagan's statements to be offensive.  Whether you think or I think Reagan is racist doesn't really matter.

Trump makes statements all the time that I find offensive (they're rapists...) all the time.  I don't care if you think Trump is racist or not.  No one should want a president that makes offensive statements on a regular basis.

It is much more productive to debate whether or not a statement is offensive, whether or not you agree with it, then to argue if he is racist.  Everyone has a different interpretation of what constitutes racism.  There is not a clear definition.

I believe Trump knows there are people out there that don't like black people and immigrants.  He plays to them every day.  That is his so called base.  Those people don't consider themselves racist.  Many others do consider them racist.  I see Trump playing to the fears of these people, fears that immigrants will take their jobs, blacks are lazy welfare queens.....

That is my problem with Trump.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required