Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 93063 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
It’s funny reading people’s opinions on Langford before he’s ever played a game at this level.  Who really knows right now.  I look at his weaknesses differently.  If Langford’s jump shot is indeed broken, he must have some real strengths to go in the lottery.

My pie in the sky comp for Langford (in terms of style) is demar derozen.  Seem very similar to me.

This is where i am at. Demar DeRozan was an elite vertical athlete earlier in his career, but now he relies on craft, ISOs, and mid-range. Langford doesn't have that elite verticality, but I can see a lot of craftiness similar to DeRozan.

Similar playstyle. Three point shooting might be tough to develop. Meh defense. Scorers mentality.

I guess I think he could be like 90% of DeRozan if he reached his ceiling. Otherwise I'm looking at his median outcome as something like a Jeremy Lamb.

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
so far the names I have read on here for Langford Comps.

Paul Pierce
Walt Frazier
Clyde Drexler.

3 1st ballot hall of famers.

I think some need to temper expectations.

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
h
Paul Pierce
Walt Frazier
Clyde Drexler.

I ll go with MJ ... ;D

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
h
Paul Pierce
Walt Frazier
Clyde Drexler.

I ll go with MJ ... ;D

thats the only logical comparison.

Mike James

« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It’s funny reading people’s opinions on Langford before he’s ever played a game at this level.  Who really knows right now.  I look at his weaknesses differently.  If Langford’s jump shot is indeed broken, he must have some real strengths to go in the lottery.

My pie in the sky comp for Langford (in terms of style) is demar derozen.  Seem very similar to me.

This is where i am at. Demar DeRozan was an elite vertical athlete earlier in his career, but now he relies on craft, ISOs, and mid-range. Langford doesn't have that elite verticality, but I can see a lot of craftiness similar to DeRozan.

Similar playstyle. Three point shooting might be tough to develop. Meh defense. Scorers mentality.

I guess I think he could be like 90% of DeRozan if he reached his ceiling. Otherwise I'm looking at his median outcome as something like a Jeremy Lamb.

Lamb would probably be an outcome we should be happy with.

The best player picked at #14 since 2000 is Troy Murphy. There are a few other guys who are/were borderline starters (Marcus Morris, Luke Ridnour, Kris Humphries, TJ Warren), a few rotation players, and a bunch of guys like Al Thornton, Fred Jones, Shabazz Muhammad, Mateen Cleaves, Denzel Valentine, Earl Clark, Rashad McCants...

http://bkref.com/tiny/RRT5i

« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Lamb would probably be an outcome we should be happy with.

The best player picked at #14 since 2000 is Troy Murphy. There are a few other guys who are/were borderline starters (Marcus Morris, Luke Ridnour, Kris Humphries, TJ Warren), a few rotation players, and a bunch of guys like Al Thornton, Fred Jones, Shabazz Muhammad, Mateen Cleaves, Denzel Valentine, Earl Clark, Rashad McCants...

http://bkref.com/tiny/RRT5i

Don't like that argument at all, the best player taken at 15 is either Kawhi or Giannis. Are you implying that the 14th pick is cursed?

If only Sac won a few more games we could have got that coveted 15th pick instead of 14.

« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Paul Pierce
Walt Frazier
Clyde Drexler.

Gonna throw some D Wade in there too.

What a pick by Danny. AINGE STIKES AGAIN!

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Paul Pierce
Walt Frazier
Clyde Drexler.

Gonna throw some D Wade in there too.

What a pick by Danny. AINGE STIKES AGAIN!

Right, I forgot about DWade comps too.

easily looking like the greatest pick ever in the draft. especially at 14 when compared to the tomato cans picked at that spot historically.

« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I am 100% driving the Langford hype bus. When I was first reading about the draft before the NCAA season started Langford was clearly one of the best prospects coming out of high school. So one season in the NCAA playing with a finger that required surgery is enough to drop him off the map? Just don't see it.

I do think Ainge would have rather taken Herro mind you, but for our purpose Langford is a real Lottery ticket. You can not teach his touch around the rim. Langford's finishing ability between the angles that he takes, his understanding of how to kiss it off the glass, and the spin that he can put on the ball is already leagues ahead of where Jaylen was when he was drafted and probably still is.

Langford has 'the knack' for finishing. He's not the vertical athlete of some of the comps mentioned but he is going into the NBA with a borderline elite skill. He absolutely will be setting a fire under the wing rotation and might one day make parting with either Jaylen, Tatum, or Hayward more palatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12NGEZaZKyo

I personally only put only so much stock in college production and can't wait to see what this kid can do with some proper spacing. Hopefully he takes time to heal up but I think he will be a prominent member of the rotation by the end of next season.

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Physically Langford reminds me of Brandon Roy. Langford doesn't have the skill-level of Roy but his physical tools remind me of Roy. Similar size & speed. The way they move off the dribble.

« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

If Ainge and Brad like him and they do, I trust them more than analysis here.  Their pros at what they do and their jobs depend on their success.

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
This kid doesn't talk much on court or get demonstrative but he says ask his teammates ,ask his opponents,ask how hard he works and what kind of motor he has
.I also saw a breakdown claiming he had 43 inch vertical and there were tapes of him dunking in game with his eyes almost at rim and several other poster dunks.Before i posted this i tried to find his vertical else where with no luck .He didn't test at combine because of wrist.
This is no James Young.
Danny was right drafting him here  he has height ,length and physique to add muscle,he a deceptive athlete that can finish at rim at an elite level.
Imagine torn ligament in you thumb on your strong and shooting hand .Never complained or made excuses nobody knew till the season ended.
I have a sprained wrist the irritating kind and did that throw my shooting off.
There are those that say because he caught such a high school buzz if he had shut down early in season he could have gone top 5.
The kid now has Hayward a level vet  that may have a similar motor.

An oldie but I know the answer to this one.

Indiana did vertical testing for their team during the preseason, I believe and the the sportscasters picked it up and started talking about it.

I think their testing was off though - basically their entire starting line-up posted 40+.  Justin Smith, one of their forwards, posted a 48". Smith is athletic, but nowhere near that level.

Langford can get up a bit though. I think the thumb injury made him cool it on the dunks - noticeably aggravated it on the dunks I saw.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Romeo Langford - What are your expectations?
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Watching the Summer League games we discovered the rookies played better than most of us had anticipated. Even a couple of the invitees looked like keepers. One attribute they all shared was that they played basketball 3 or more years after high school. This experience showed in their court awareness, shooting acumen, passing, defense and overall team play.

In contrast, Romeo is one year removed from high school. He played much of his freshman year in college with a torn ligament in his thumb which may have affected his shooting and other aspects of his game. We don't know how well he would have progressed had he not been injured. But, we do know something about his pluses and minuses from watching pre-draft videos, reading personal accounts/evaluations and from other media venues. 

We learned Romeo's a very good scorer, a solid rebounder and a decent defender. On the other hand, we find that his outside shooting is suspect, he gets lackadaisical and doesn't always have solid court awareness. His basketball acumen and hustle will likely improve with experience - provided he's hungry enough.   

My guess is, even if his thumb heals 100%,  he'll be behind his teammates on the depth chart because of this inexperience. I doubt he'll get much playing time.

Does anyone feel differently? Is there any realistic expectation he'll be able to contribute this year? Or, is he more more likely to spend much of his time in the G-League or riding the end of the bench?

Re: Romeo Langford - What are your expectations?
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
nothing..i dont expect much this season from him..i doubt he get 10 minutes a game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Romeo Langford - What are your expectations?
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Watching the Summer League games we discovered the rookies played better than most of us had anticipated. Even a couple of the invitees looked like keepers. One attribute they all shared was that they played basketball 3 or more years after high school. This experience showed in their court awareness, shooting acumen, passing, defense and overall team play.

In contrast, Romeo is one year removed from high school. He played much of his freshman year in college with a torn ligament in his thumb which may have affected his shooting and other aspects of his game. We don't know how well he would have progressed had he not been injured. But, we do know something about his pluses and minuses from watching pre-draft videos, reading personal accounts/evaluations and from other media venues. 

We learned Romeo's a very good scorer, a solid rebounder and a decent defender. On the other hand, we find that his outside shooting is suspect, he gets lackadaisical and doesn't always have solid court awareness. His basketball acumen and hustle will likely improve with experience - provided he's hungry enough.   

My guess is, even if his thumb heals 100%,  he'll be behind his teammates on the depth chart because of this inexperience. I doubt he'll get much playing time.

Does anyone feel differently? Is there any realistic expectation he'll be able to contribute this year? Or, is he more more likely to spend much of his time in the G-League or riding the end of the bench?
I don't think we can say at this point that Romeo will be behind the other young guys. Summer league play means almost nothing. Teams use summer league to give their young guys a little run and a chance to work on some specific parts of their game. For fringe players it's a chance to get a camp invite. A handful of summer league games does not give anyone a meaningful edge, what happens in camp and preseason is infinitely more important.